You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Cool Ranch Zorb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:47 pm

yeah i definitely enjoy the short season more

Cool Ranch Zorb

Postby wuk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:08 pm

162 is going to feel insanely long if they ever go back to it. Now that we've seen the condensed version (and my team is good at it) I think ideally 80-120 games should just about do it going forward.

wuk

Postby jitterbug » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:22 pm

i dunno, just as a fan and with health concerns aside (like i undersrand if 162 games in a year is bad for a body), i really like the longer season. coming home to a baseball game is something i really cherish and i'm glad we usually get it for like 6 whole months
jitterbug

Postby jitterbug » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:23 pm

also if degrom is badly hurt i will be UPSET even tho the mets really don't seem to have a chance this year, again
jitterbug

Postby Cool Ranch Zorb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 pm

They're never gonna do it because the discrepancy in stats would break people

Cool Ranch Zorb

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:38 pm

what the fuck are you all smoking? I wish this season went on forever. 80-120 games? that's like a 3-4 month season jesus. This season feels way too short.

Autarch

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:40 pm

jitterbug wrote:i dunno, just as a fan and with health concerns aside (like i undersrand if 162 games in a year is bad for a body)

I wouldn't exactly call baseball the most physically grueling sport, aside from starting pitchers.

Autarch

Postby jitterbug » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 pm

see, that's the thing. i don't really see a reason why we'd need to keep the season short past this year. the only reason i said the thing about health is pitchers, i know by september a lot of them are more susceptible to injury, but....eh
jitterbug

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 pm

One big advantage of a shorter season is its harder for teams to tank

Short season + expanded playoffs bring it on
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:59 pm

Also carry fewer pitchers and contract 2 teams
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Cool Ranch Zorb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Yeah also all things

Cool Ranch Zorb

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:15 pm

if you're not always thinking "I wish the sox played every single day of the year", then get the hell out of my thread

Autarch

Postby iambic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 pm

they're inevitably gonna do expansion to 32 teams, so they should re-org to four regional divisions of eight teams (basically west, south, midwest, northeast), play 120-140 regular season games, put the top two from each division in the postseason, and have seven-game series for all three rounds of playoffs, which start in early september

again, I am the clear-sighted one not hopelessly crippled by baseball nostalgia

iambic

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:02 pm

iambic, i'm sorry but you have the worst opinions. what exactly is gained by going to 4 regional divisions? how would that make anything more interestng?

Autarch

Postby iambic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 pm

it's more environmentally responsible, is less of a drain on player performance (travel and timezone changes are brutal), helps with tv scheduling, and encourages regional rivalries; and a pool of eight dilutes the effects of anyone being the best team in a bad division while retaining the interest of teams regularly playing each other, seeing each other's pitchers, and clearing benches over dumb shit

iambic

Postby shark week » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:28 pm

Autarch wrote:
jitterbug wrote:i dunno, just as a fan and with health concerns aside (like i undersrand if 162 games in a year is bad for a body)

I wouldn't exactly call baseball the most physically grueling sport, aside from starting pitchers.

it's definitely bad for a body

hitting, pitching and super twitchy actions for balls in play are all very unnatural as far as human bodies go

not everything has to be bodies crashing on every play or running 10km/match in order to be defined as physically grueling

Cal Ripken Jr's streak is untouchable for a reason
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it

shark week

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:33 pm

first off, I don't see expansion happening any time soon; there really hasn't been any serious talk of expanding since 1998, so I don't understand why you think that expanding to 32 teams is inevitable. In a 30 team league, I think that the two-league structure and a 150+ game schedule is necessary in order to play every team a normal amount of games.

Autarch

Postby shark week » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 pm

there's been quite a bit of 32 teams/expansion chatter the past two years, autarch
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it

shark week

Postby shark week » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:38 pm

really wish they'd put a team in Curaçao

shark week

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 pm

shark week wrote:
Autarch wrote:

it's definitely bad for a body

hitting, pitching and super twitchy actions for balls in play are all very unnatural as far as human bodies go

not everything has to be bodies crashing on every play or running 10km/match in order to be defined as physically grueling

Cal Ripken Jr's streak is untouchable for a reason

yeah it's untouchable because 162 games is a fucking lot and 2632 is fucking insane. The NBA plays 82 games a year. That's gotta be the equivalent of like 400 baseball games (starting pitchers excluded). I think 162 is very hard on the mind but I think a human body in pretty good shape is fully capable of playing 162 baseball games a year no problem.

Autarch

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 pm

shark week wrote:there's been quite a bit of 32 teams/expansion chatter the past two years, autarch

from whom? espn dot com?

Autarch

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:42 pm

i can't think of two cities that could support an MLB team. I can think of maybe one and that's las vegas.

Autarch

Postby shark week » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 pm

Autarch wrote:but I think a human body in pretty good shape is fully capable of playing 162 baseball games a year no problem.

what the hell

shark week

Postby shark week » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:48 pm

my pet theory is everyone sits down to watch a baseball game and when the hitter draws a walk and saunters down to first thinks "I can do that" without realizing that dude has taken 1000+ swings that week between cages/bp/games that would have shredded any person that isn't regularly playing baseball

shark week

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 pm

shark week wrote:
Autarch wrote:but I think a human body in pretty good shape is fully capable of playing 162 baseball games a year no problem.

what the hell

are we watching the same sport? the players literally either sit or stand for 95% of the game. A hitter in the starting line up takes, what, maybe 8 or 9 swings in a given game? and sure, there's warm-ups. But remember, these guys are professional athletes. I don't think it's that hard. I used to run on average like 5 or 6 miles a day in high school and I think that's harder on the body than playing baseball. I think baseball is hard because it takes incredible skill and concentration, not because it is physically grueling.

Autarch

Postby shark week » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:51 pm

Autarch wrote:i can't think of two cities that could support an MLB team. I can think of maybe one and that's las vegas.

what's your definition of support?

packed stadiums?
tv viewership?

shark week

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:53 pm

shark week wrote:
Autarch wrote:i can't think of two cities that could support an MLB team. I can think of maybe one and that's las vegas.

what's your definition of support?

packed stadiums?
tv viewership?

stadium doesn't necessarily have to be packed. you're talking to a white sox fan, remember. But yes, attendance and tv viewership (or whatever internet metric we replace tv viewership with) are probably the two most relevant metrics I can think of.

Autarch

Postby surly » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:01 am

what the hell happened in here
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby shark week » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:01 am

i think the triangle in NC would do real well
Nashville
LV
Charlotte
Montreal
probably Indianapolis and Columbus
maybe New Orleans or Omaha

i'd even submit SLC and Boise as fast-growing cities with access to currently untapped regional markets

shark week

Postby Autarch » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 am

Charlotte would definitely be my next choice after las vegas. Indianapolis probably could. Columbus is probably already served by cleveland and cincinnati. Nashville is like, if you're gonna do nashville, why not just do Charlotte instead, which is clearly the better choice, imo. I don't think Omaha could do it. I used to think Omaha would be a cool choice, but it's really just not a big market. re: Montreal, the expos were cool, but let's not kid ourselves, their attendance was much lower than any other team, and you might say it's because of the bad stadium, but the a's and rays have a terrible stadium and not even their attendance is really even close to being as low the expos were. SLC and Boise are too small. New Orleans...idk, I think there are 4 better options on this list than new orleans.

Autarch

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....