anyone have good tips for checking your email

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 am

alaska wrote:From: Abbess@themonastery.org
Subject: Quick question

Hello Sister,

Hope this finds you well! Just wondering when you're going to be able to get back to me about your availability re: ringing the morning bells at 4 AM so we can all wake up to pray for ten hours. I know I can cover the next couple of days, but once I take the anchorite vows this weekend I'm not going to be able to leave my coffin-sized chamber until I die, so we're going to need someone to step up and fill that gap. (More than happy to help coordinate going forward, as my laptop should fit in my cell.)

Anyway, hope everything else is going smoothly for you! Sorry for the hassle, and thanks in advance.

Best,

lol i just read this again and it got me anew

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:55 am

warmjets wrote:
mactheo wrote:man i am still so bad at this, even after changing my sign-off to "bye"

wait you are still doing this? lol

yep i'm still going strong. i'm making it my brand

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:56 am

i encourage everyone to start using "bye,". it's the new thing

mactheo

Postby big zorb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:52 am

mactheo you must seize control
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby garbiel » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:54 am

mactheo wrote:i encourage everyone to start using "bye,". it's the new thing

bye
mactheo wrote:look: i don't understand

garbiel

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:04 am

big zorb wrote:mactheo you must seize control

how, zorb. how

mactheo

Postby big zorb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:08 am

i literally posted on the last page how

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:09 am

you must work with me a little, mactheo...i can dig you out of this but you must be willing to ride with zorb...

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:13 am

zorb, i totally did not see your very helpful post on the last page, i understand now what you are saying

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:16 am

i'm definitely in an anxiety hole. i cleared up 1 big problem since making this thread, but there are still ~2 people that i'm terrified of getting emails from, but this is tied to more complicated things i have to complete. so i got out of my huge hole about a month ago, but now i find myself in a smaller hole every week

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:18 am

big zorb wrote:mactheo do you think you are in an anxiety hole, by which i mean there probably are some bad emails in there right now because you don't check it/respond/do the thing the email is asking?

maybe you should have a "hell week" where you just bite the bullet and take the beatings for what's in the emails, and then you have a clean slate moving forward and the emails won't have the bad, anxiety-inducing things in them because you'll have cleared the ledger.

obviously it's easier said than done but when i have been in positions like this with freelance jobs or whatever where i was actually wincing whenever i saw a message from the person whose work i knew i had neglected/failed to complete, the only way to get out of that loop is to own up to things and start anew. gotta get the slate clean...only way to escape the anxiety.

but yeah this is excellent advice & it's a big feedback loop. earlier, i was in danger of getting kicked out of my program, so i was really terrified of the mail. now, it feels like a physical reaction whenever i try to check it. there are 2 emails though, that if I sent, it would start to get me out of the hole, so i will make it my goal to do it this week. i have to check my email first

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:19 am

sometimes my girlfriend has stressful emails she has to deal with, and it's so easy to deal with when it's not you. i wish i were better at dissociating & viewing my problems in the 3rd person

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:23 am

i just checked it! this is just my therapy thread now

mactheo

Postby sobieski » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:24 am

if ya feel like reading an interpretation of the rise and fall of internet productivity
can’t say how helpful it’ll be though
https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-rise-and-fall-of-getting-things-done
sm//o/ke le/ss weed
and sleep more
always/ tip %20

sobieski
Comptroller

Postby big zorb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:28 am

hell yeah mac!

it is so much easier to deal with someone else's email fear, lol. anxiety holes are so tricky because you don't realize the danger of one until you're in it. but for me, anyway, once anxiety exists there is *no* resolution until i deal with it. ignoring it doesn't mute the anxiety, denying it doesn't mute the anxiety, etc. only thing to do is acknowledge why i'm anxious and deal with it. only then can i feel free.

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby clouds » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:32 am

still hate emails

clouds

Previous

Return to Poster's Paradise