anyone have good tips for checking your email

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby deebster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:26 pm

Sadly to say, the one thing that actually helped me with this were benzos

deebster

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:27 pm

I definitely get email anxiety, but it just feels like a subset of work anxiety in general, which feels like it's stupid and not worth it but what are you gonna do
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby cartola » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:38 pm

i also hate email......
gmail is the only good free email huh?
cartola

Postby tricksforchips » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:38 pm

Love emails. Hate the phone.

tricksforchips

Postby garbiel » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:43 pm

I set my phone up to notify me when I get pinged or message across like 4 or 5 different IM services + text and email so I deal with email anxiety by drowning it in notifications generally. If get a message at any point it's more than likely some dumb meme instead of something serious
mactheo wrote:look: i don't understand

garbiel

Postby garbiel » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:44 pm

Russian roulette
mactheo wrote:look: i don't understand

garbiel

Postby warmjets » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:25 pm

One thing I really hate is with the advent of smartphones i can get a text from my boss at any day and any time and I will see it. I would mute that shit on the weekends, but then i would forget to unmute during work hours and miss a bunch of important shit.

it's pure hell.

warmjets

Postby santos l halper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:07 pm

deebster wrote:I have extreme email anxiety, too. I think it was the many years I spent in graduate school.

yeah same.

i'm sort of just hoping it will dissipate gradually now i've left academia but my real strategy is just to try and check my emails as early as possible in the morning so it almost feels like i'm sneaking my replies in when nobody is watching.

santos l halper

Postby quinine » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:13 pm

mactheo wrote:
warmjets wrote:sometimes i have to pop on to my work's gmail account briefly to do something in drive and i purposely squint in a way that it blurs my vision when it takes me to my inbox after sign in

omg lol I do this exact same thing

can't u just sign in directly at drive.google.com ?

quinine
ok

Postby mactheo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:03 pm

^ I guess my situation isn't exactly the same, but my school has a stupid special interface where you have to look at your mail to navigate to other areas of the self-service portal

mactheo

Postby lightfoot » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:21 pm

i recommend getting too nervous to check your email that you just don't do it for two months

lightfoot

Postby alaska » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:21 pm

Can't believe I'm gonna start getting emails soon
Image ImageImage

alaska

Postby mactheo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:21 pm

alaska wrote:Can't believe I'm gonna start getting emails soon

i'm so sorry

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 pm

deebster wrote:Sadly to say, the one thing that actually helped me with this were benzos

i did this and managed to check my email. it was like a hundred "please respond, take action now" messages but I managed to fire a few off. another day, another email

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:24 pm

even when I had a job doing trail work in the woods, I somehow had to do a lot of emails. I bet farmers have to send emails to sell their produce and stuff. maybe monks have to send emails nowadays

mactheo

Postby alaska » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:38 pm

Subject: Quick question

Hello Sister,

Hope this finds you well! Just wondering when you're going to be able to get back to me about your availability re: ringing the morning bells at 4 AM so we can all wake up to pray for ten hours. I know I can cover the next couple of days, but once I take the anchorite vows this weekend I'm not going to be able to leave my coffin-sized chamber until I die, so we're going to need someone to step up and fill that gap. (More than happy to help coordinate going forward, as my laptop should fit in my cell.)

Anyway, hope everything else is going smoothly for you! Sorry for the hassle, and thanks in advance.

Best,
Image ImageImage

alaska

Postby mactheo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:55 pm

lol thanks, i hate it

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:56 pm

to clarify, I actually laughed out loud

mactheo

Postby lalo cura » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:51 am

how i became a nun
alaska wrote:The world has trees and birds and coffee and eye contact with a lover across a crowded room in it how is it so fucking goddamned stupid

lalo cura

Postby lalo cura » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 am

but i'd probably drop out of a monastery from email anxiety just like grad school
alaska wrote:The world has trees and birds and coffee and eye contact with a lover across a crowded room in it how is it so fucking goddamned stupid

lalo cura

Postby Kenny » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:48 am

I get 200+ emails a day because my team CCs the whole team in every enquiry e-mail. It's fucking hell. But I have to look at them or I'll get fired.

I can't remember the last time I got a personal e-mail. It probably wasn't as long ago as that may imply but I still can't remember it
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:03 am

I got a personal e-mail
[MY MOM]
Fwd:Fwd: 18 Places You Didn't Know Existed in Outer London | Things To Do In Zones 2-6
2:42 AM (8 hours ago)
to me

Get Outlook for Android
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:38:24 PM
To: My Mom <petty's mom@hotmail.com>
Subject: 18 Places You Didn't Know Existed in Outer London | Things To Do In Zones 2-6

https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/places-you-had-no-idea-existed-in-outer-london

Get Outlook for Android
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:17 am

man i am still so bad at this, even after changing my sign-off to "bye"

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:19 am

i consistently get in trouble for not reading my emails. when i check them, my rational brain shuts down and I am 100% sure that there will be 10000 emails yelling at me

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:20 am

garbiel wrote:I set my phone up to notify me when I get pinged or message across like 4 or 5 different IM services + text and email so I deal with email anxiety by drowning it in notifications generally. If get a message at any point it's more than likely some dumb meme instead of something serious

this has helped somewhat; i get a lot of spam emails now in my work inbox, so it's not like each email is scary. but then, going thru my inbox is like walking through tall grass, waiting for a snake to pop out and bite you with poison

mactheo

Postby Fine Wine » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:25 am

email sucks lol

Fine Wine

Postby mactheo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:30 am

i have pretty much no anxiety about checking my Hipinion. i should get everyone to board herre

mactheo

Postby ahalfhourago » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:41 am

I was addicted to email before, and would keep on checking for new emails from work or from friends/family. That can get irritating, so I've learned to check emails periodically, but to X out of the tab afterwards so that I can no longer see it.

ahalfhourago

Postby big zorb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:46 am

mactheo do you think you are in an anxiety hole, by which i mean there probably are some bad emails in there right now because you don't check it/respond/do the thing the email is asking?

maybe you should have a "hell week" where you just bite the bullet and take the beatings for what's in the emails, and then you have a clean slate moving forward and the emails won't have the bad, anxiety-inducing things in them because you'll have cleared the ledger.

obviously it's easier said than done but when i have been in positions like this with freelance jobs or whatever where i was actually wincing whenever i saw a message from the person whose work i knew i had neglected/failed to complete, the only way to get out of that loop is to own up to things and start anew. gotta get the slate clean...only way to escape the anxiety.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby warmjets » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:47 am

mactheo wrote:man i am still so bad at this, even after changing my sign-off to "bye"

wait you are still doing this? lol

warmjets

PreviousNext

Return to Poster's Paradise