Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Locust Valley 3 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:40 pm

ITT we discuss games made my developer FromSoftware

I beat the twin gargoyles and the gaping dragon this morning. Slogging my way through blighttown right now. Going for a strength and dex build. Currently only level 30. So far these bosses seem easier than bloodborne

Locust Valley 3

Postby virtuous » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44 pm

It’s definitely easier.

The world of Lordan is incredible though. The way that everything connects and has multiple entrances and exits is an incredible example of game design.
virtuous

Postby virtuous » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:46 pm

When I play ds now it’s hard not to just grab the claymore and steamroll everything in the game.
virtuous

Postby wakeman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:55 pm

This was a fun watch, played this game for like five minutes back in the day before bouncing off. How far they’ve come!

wakeman

Postby Locust Valley 3 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:00 pm

virtuous wrote:When I play ds now it’s hard not to just grab the claymore and steamroll everything in the game.

Im using a +5 halberd. The thrust range is just too convenient and i find the R2 move so aesthetically pleasing

Locust Valley 3

Postby Skerple » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:05 pm

i have to beat gwyn, lord of cinder right now but unfortunately i've never learned to parry so now i have to i guess

Skerple

Postby virtuous » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Locust Valley 3 wrote:
virtuous wrote:When I play ds now it’s hard not to just grab the claymore and steamroll everything in the game.

Im using a +5 halberd. The thrust range is just too convenient and i find the R2 move so aesthetically pleasing

Are you two handing it with the grass crest shield on your back?
virtuous

Postby hazel » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:24 pm

i'm straight up refusing to fight lord gwyn rn because the input lag is so bad

i havent really minded the clunkiness of DS until now but if youre gonna give me a fast paced swordfight, my character cant be drinking the estus flask a full five seconds after i hit the button

hazel

Postby Locust Valley 3 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:28 pm

The estus flask animation is soooo bad. The blood vial one is such a massive improvement

Locust Valley 3

Postby dan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:29 pm

I started playing every single FromSoft game in order starting early last year. I totally stalled out and abandoned the project but playing the King's Field and Echo Night series really deepened my appreciation for the company even more. Maybe I'll post some screenshots I took later. Anyway, great developer and here's some mixes I made in the VGM mixtapes thread to listen to while you read the thread:
dan wrote:FromSoft is celebrating it's 25th anniversary as a game developer soon (they existed as a productivity software developer since 1986 but eventually moved into gaming and released King's Field on December 16th, 1994) so to honor the occasion I put together 25 tracks in chronological order covering some some of the many great titles they've put out.
Code: Select all
https://mega.nz/file/Zh4GyI6J#XLtkcPYTPJlxkPB6_MIp-nI5eM8Mhme8DktUibxrmYU

And in going through so many games and soundtracks (by my count they have 67 titles so far) I came up with a ton of extra tracks that I felt like sharing so here's a bonus 25 track compilation, this time not in chronological order.
https://mega.nz/#!I1w11C5B!txEXlvXLzUF4FkzMLubMuT9udGoPcgtiotw1qxSBRB0

Forgive me for anything that's mislabeled or wrongly attributed, there was a lot of digging around to find some of these and I didn't manage to find the artists for some of the more obscure titles. Enjoy!

dan

Postby chairkicker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:32 pm

hazel wrote:i'm straight up refusing to fight lord gwyn rn because the input lag is so bad

i havent really minded the clunkiness of DS until now but if youre gonna give me a fast paced swordfight, my character cant be drinking the estus flask a full five seconds after i hit the button

i don't know if that's input lag as much as it is the intended risk-reward of using the flask

chairkicker

Postby dan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:39 pm

strictly out of curiosity I want to ask Chairkicker what pre-Souls FromSoft games they've played
and I guess I extend that to everyone else but I'm just really curious about ck and their thoughts on any of them

dan

Postby Locust Valley 3 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:48 pm

Would really love a series of long posts from chaircicker talking about from's design principles. Feel like they probably post on resetera and I should just search there

Locust Valley 3

Postby katastroika » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:52 pm

kings field iv is an absolute masterpiece. i still haven't played shadow tower abyss, but i'd probably rank the og shadow tower as teh best of their ps1 output.... i've never really been able to get into the armored core games. really the atmosphere in all of the kings field/shadow tower games still holds up imo if you have any fondness for 1. early 3d 2. what they would later go on to do.
i've been to three mile island and silent hill i fixed my ugly gross third eye with a 12v power drill i've been to la and nyc but there was nothing there but cops and everybody died while everybody watched

katastroika

Postby katastroika » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:52 pm

the evergrace soundtrack sounds like the last oneohtrix record

i've been to three mile island and silent hill i fixed my ugly gross third eye with a 12v power drill i've been to la and nyc but there was nothing there but cops and everybody died while everybody watched

katastroika

Postby Locust Valley 3 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 pm

Was miyazaki involved with them during kings field era?

These people have pretty much ruined other video games for me

Locust Valley 3

Postby Locust Valley 3 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:56 pm

dan wrote:I started playing every single FromSoft game in order starting early last year. I totally stalled out and abandoned the project but playing the King's Field and Echo Night series really deepened my appreciation for the company even more. Maybe I'll post some screenshots I took later. Anyway, great developer and here's some mixes I made in the VGM mixtapes thread to listen to while you read the thread:
dan wrote:FromSoft is celebrating it's 25th anniversary as a game developer soon (they existed as a productivity software developer since 1986 but eventually moved into gaming and released King's Field on December 16th, 1994) so to honor the occasion I put together 25 tracks in chronological order covering some some of the many great titles they've put out.
https://mega.nz/file/Zh4GyI6J#XLtkcPYTPJlxkPB6_MIp-nI5eM8Mhme8DktUibxrmYU

And in going through so many games and soundtracks (by my count they have 67 titles so far) I came up with a ton of extra tracks that I felt like sharing so here's a bonus 25 track compilation, this time not in chronological order.
https://mega.nz/#!I1w11C5B!txEXlvXLzUF4FkzMLubMuT9udGoPcgtiotw1qxSBRB0

Forgive me for anything that's mislabeled or wrongly attributed, there was a lot of digging around to find some of these and I didn't manage to find the artists for some of the more obscure titles. Enjoy!

This is awesome

Locust Valley 3

Postby ahungbunny » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:04 pm

don't wanna quote that again but yeah that's sick thanks

the firelink shrine theme has been my alarm music for like five years, it still evokes calm and safety for me

ahungbunny

Postby ahungbunny » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:07 pm

...even if it is a ripoff of this

ahungbunny

Postby dan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:51 pm

The PSX King's Field games are really amazing pieces of work and set the foundation for everything to come and I recommend them highly to anyone who loves the atmosphere that FromSoft always puts into their games...but with the caveat that they're pretty nightmarish to actually play (each successive game in the series does make huge improvements in terms of smoothness, speed, control, and general accessibility.) King's Field 1 (JP) is so horribly brutal and obtuse, the whole thing feels like you're playing through molasses, but it still has that genuinely rewarding feeling you get from the Souls games. And I love how lost you can get, truly losing any sense of where safety is. I love this game dearly but wouldn't begrudge anyone who doesn't make it past 10 minutes given how it plays. You'll have to hunt down a translation patch if you want to play in English since this was only ever released in Japan (and this broke saves on my emulator, though I'm sure there's ways past that...but you might want to savestate just in case.)

King's Field 2 (released as King's Field in the US) is a giant leap in quality, and if you're nervous about playing the notoriously slow/punishing KF1 then I would say just start with this one. The game is now actually fully open word island rather than the dungeon levels of KF1 and here's where the interconnectivty that you later see in Souls really begins to shine. The interior of the island is full of winding caves and mines that eventually lead back to shortcuts and you have to carefully choose how you ration keys. The rainy dying island is such a wonderfully unique setting (again stuff that feels extremely Souls-y) and the true joy of this is actually just exploring. It's unbelievable how much stuff there is to find in this game that they made in 7 months.

KF3 (released as KF2 in the US) goes from the cramped corridors and mazes of the first two into full wide-open massive fields, this time in a doomed Medieval fantasy setting (a step down from the more original island in KF2) and expands the weapons and magic even further. I didn't find the big empty fields to be nearly as interesting as the mazes built on top of mazes in KF2, but I appreciate them going in a different direction and in 1996 a world this big must have been pretty mindblowing. It's the same enjoyable game as the first two with much welcome improvements for speed and control, but the overwhelming size of the maps and decrease in difficulty made me like it a bit less than KF2. Still totally great though. It's also quite possibly the most depressing open-world game ever, every single character in this suffering and it just feels like the world is truly doomed and hopeless.

Sadly I haven't been able to get my ancient computer to run King's Field 4 at a decent enough speed to enjoy, but I'll give it some more attempts because I really loved the others and wanted to play more.

Looking through my folders I guess I only took pics from King's Field 3, and I guess this is a good a place as any to post them, you'll hopefully get what I mean when I say this game is depressing! Also sorry about the CRT effect from Retroarch, it looks kind of bad in pictures but I like it when playing.

dan

Postby chairkicker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:31 pm

dan wrote:strictly out of curiosity I want to ask Chairkicker what pre-Souls FromSoft games they've played
and I guess I extend that to everyone else but I'm just really curious about ck and their thoughts on any of them

i've played a little bit of king's field 2, echo night, echo night beyond, otogi, otogi 2, eternal ring, king's field iv, evergrace, cookie and cream, and enchanted arms. this was pre-demon's souls and i played them all as rentals or at friend's houses so my impressions aren't concrete anymore. i was always fascinated by king's field but equally frustrated by its clunkiness as a kid so i never made much progress. i fell in love with its ghostliness and completely unguided exploration even then, though. i'd far more patience for it now which is why i need to track down a copy of king's field iv or at least emulate it

i actually own echo night beyond now and i've been meaning to run through it for a while. i need to emulate shadow tower abyss now that i can. i need to revisit otogi and finally play kuon. i've played fragments of the armored core games but don't remember much about them. i've had fun with chromehounds over the years but never got too deep. ninja blade is a terrible game from what i remember.

i've been fascinated by their stuff since the release of the playstation and i remember early shots of eternal ring and evergrace being hugely exciting in the lead up to the ps2's launch, even if the latter ended up a generic dungeon crawler.

chairkicker

Postby chairkicker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:34 pm

and yeah i need to go back and play king's field 2

chairkicker

Postby chairkicker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:35 pm

and echo night 1/2 and shadow tower and all that

chairkicker

Postby hazel » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:49 pm

chairkicker wrote:
hazel wrote:i'm straight up refusing to fight lord gwyn rn because the input lag is so bad

i don't know if that's input lag as much as it is the intended risk-reward of using the flask

lol im aware that the flask has a lengthy animation

however while fighting gwyn ive pressed the flask button and the game doesnt register it for a full two or three seconds...THEN the animation starts. thats input lag...and its UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!

hazel

Postby hazel » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:50 pm

apart from that i absolutely love the game, its very different from sekiro but has many wonderful qualities

hazel

Postby chairkicker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:06 pm

i remembered there being a slight delay before the animation really starts to play that i thought of as a byproduct of the timing in the balance of the flask and not any input lag but maybe my memory's shoddy. i definitely don't remember seconds worth of delay, though. how are you playing? last gen, current gen or pc?

chairkicker

Postby hazel » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:21 pm

its actually really weird. im playing remastered on the ps4. never had a problem until gwyn. i think the issue is if you hit the flask button too quickly after lowering your shield, it takes an extra few seconds to register. most of the time that's not a problem, but when youre trying to play fast and sekiro-like, it gets to be an issue.

apart from that, i enjoy the slower more ritualistic bossfight style of dark souls. works really well for the game's vibe as a whole.

hazel

Postby dan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:41 pm

Shadow Tower wasn't quite clicking with me when I tried it, I wish it wasn't split into zones with the loading screens and had tried to stay more seamless like KF2 & 3. The way you teleport into the shops was odd and immersion breaking. And the fact that there's no music whatsoever does not help things. I'll go back to this at some point, I think when I checked a guide I was only like 1/3 of the way though, but everything about this just felt like King's Field that had slightly better combat but the world design and atmosphere was way worse.

Shadow Tower: Abyss I only played for about an hour and it seemed much better, it's fast and the limb targeting in the combat was really cool. And the fact that you start with a handgun. I didn't play enough to really gauge anything but I want to go back and give this a try.
I think the main thing that made me abandon trying to play all of the (translated) FromSoft titles was how many Armored Core games there were and how little I enjoyed the few missions I did in them. I just don't think that series is for me so I don't really have much to say about it.

dan

Postby figaro2 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:46 pm

been meaning to play some armored core and kuon for awhile now
figaro2

Postby Locust Valley 3 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:45 pm

Slowly making my way thru blighttown. Honestly loving it. It is so perfectly designed to piss you off and force you to memorize it

Locust Valley 3

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....