your best ever displays of athletic prowess

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby shark week » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:20 pm

in college i played one season of intramural flag football. we were playing in the first rd of the playoffs in an elimination game. i had an exam the following morning so i had planned on studying all night and took some adderall before the game.

there's no getting around how much better speed makes you at sports.

i was playing on another level all night. i personally accounted for 32 points - four TD receptions, one 2pt conversion reception, and the crown jewel pick six INT.

we were already up by a massive amount when i baited the opposing QB into throwing in my direction by playing so far off the line and then making an immediate break on the open WR/throw as soon as the ball was snapped.

the opposing WR was so pissed and chased hard the entire length of the field but i was faster than him. absolute domination while using PEDs.
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it

shark week

Postby Grumby » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:26 pm

brittle wrote:When I was in college my best friend's roommate worked for a girl skateboards in Torrance California, in the summers. So we decided to go out there for spring break, where he got us into the girl/chocolate skateboard warehouse skatepark. The only other two people there were Jason Acuna (AKA wee Man from jackass much later), and 1997 skater of the year Mike Carroll.

Anyways after I warmed up I started working on doing a front side 50/50 across the high box, and when I finally landed it they noticed and gave me a couple, polite, "nice"s. But then i immediately tab back up the quarter pipe, dropped in and nailed a 5-0 grind on the exact same obstacle on my very next try, and they slapped their trucks against the coping and clapped and yelled out some hardy cheers.

damn you got to skate with mike carroll (and he gave you props).. living out a lot of peoples dreams right there

Grumby

Postby lordofdiapers » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:31 pm

mcwop23 wrote:oh wait it was this

SVC got that hesi handle
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

<3

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby shark week » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:35 pm

in high school i played as a back in rugby. i was always too skinny to be immediately entrusted by coaches and was frequently written off so as a junior i ended up playing on the jv team as the starting flyhalf. i was pretty solid at it because i was reasonably fast and could kick well.

one time we called a punt to gain some territory and i blasted it so high it turned into more of an up-and-under/bomb situation. (in rugby during a punt, the player that kicks it must run ahead of everyone else to bring the rest of their team "onside" so that they can engage with the opposition.) so i was flying downfield to try and tackle the fullback (punt receiver) and the ball took a larger than expected bounce. i grabbed it in the air (off the bounce) on the fly, blew past the fullback, and raced in for the try. best damn play ever.

rugby was so much fun. i miss it quite a bit.
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it

shark week

Postby fresh » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:41 pm

in high school i was in a long ass foosball tourney with my friend (two person teams). he was great at offense and i was respectable at defense. we manage to make it all the way to the final match but i start falling apart right away and the other team scores nine unanswered points when the game is first to ten. this was in new england right around when the red sox beat the yankees down 3-0 in the alcs so i just started freakin out and talking smack about how we were gonna come back and win just like the sox did. sayin random shit about big papi and manny and dave roberts stealing second and the bloody sock and whatever the hell else. well ill be damned if we didn’t pull off the unlikeliest comeback of the year and win the damn thing. but part of me wonders if the other team let us win bc they thought id totally lost my marbles lol.
"Proof that I am not an indie rock snob: I really don't like the Shins."

fresh

Postby brittle » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:09 pm

Grumby wrote:
brittle wrote:When I was in college my best friend's roommate worked for a girl skateboards in Torrance California, in the summers. So we decided to go out there for spring break, where he got us into the girl/chocolate skateboard warehouse skatepark. The only other two people there were Jason Acuna (AKA wee Man from jackass much later), and 1997 skater of the year Mike Carroll.

Anyways after I warmed up I started working on doing a front side 50/50 across the high box, and when I finally landed it they noticed and gave me a couple, polite, "nice"s. But then i immediately tab back up the quarter pipe, dropped in and nailed a 5-0 grind on the exact same obstacle on my very next try, and they slapped their trucks against the coping and clapped and yelled out some hardy cheers.

damn you got to skate with mike carroll (and he gave you props).. living out a lot of peoples dreams right there

Yeah it would have been a pretty special day even if all i was doing was pumping around the transitions.

But i was having a good day, and it quickly turned into one of the best days of my life.

brittle

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:53 pm

mcwop23 wrote:oh wait it was this

I think I deserve part of the credit here.

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby lordofdiapers » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:03 pm

You had him hypnotized by the crossover so he resorted to bully tactics
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

<3

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby lordofdiapers » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:06 pm

Still completely devasted that the Prospect Park game at Coolteens never happened

<3

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby grayfox » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:09 pm

In HS football I played CB and I blitzed and intercepted a pitch and ran it in for a TD.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby shizaam » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:10 pm

all-time athletic prowess is probably swimming a 200 yard freestyle in high school in 1:46.

i did an olympic length triathlon a few years later, was first out of the water, but botched eating/drinking and bonked hard on the bike ride, but at least finished the run without dying once i recovered.

shizaam

Postby brittle » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:37 pm

one time i did a bike race in wyoming and i broke away like 3 or 4 miles in solo'd the rest of the ride and won with enough time to change into my street clothes by the time 2nd place crossed the line.

i mean, it was wyoming— so.

i remember a few of the racers even making fun of me for warming up. like, "never understood why someone would want to use up all that energy before the race even starts. yuk yuk."

brittle

Postby DeVito » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:41 pm

shark week wrote:in college i played one season of intramural flag football. we were playing in the first rd of the playoffs in an elimination game. i had an exam the following morning so i had planned on studying all night and took some adderall before the game.

i was playing on another level all night. i personally accounted for 32 points - four TD receptions, one 2pt conversion reception, and the crown jewel pick six INT.

we were already up by a massive amount when i baited the opposing QB into throwing in my direction by playing so far off the line and then making an immediate break on the open WR/throw as soon as the ball was snapped.

the opposing WR was so pissed and chased hard the entire length of the field but i was faster than him. absolute domination while using PEDs.

lol this rules

DeVito
Prometheus sucks.

Postby shizaam » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:48 pm

yeah that's amazing

shizaam

Postby brittle » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:50 pm

badhat wrote:generally was Pretty OK At Amateur Bike Racing for 3-4 years. specifically
i won age group in one of the toughest bike races in CO some years back. Dead Dog Classic

brittle wrote:one time i did a bike race in wyoming and i broke away like 3 or 4 miles in solo'd the rest of the ride and won with enough time to change into my street clothes by the time 2nd place crossed the line.

i mean, it was wyoming— so.

i remember a few of the racers even making fun of me for warming up. like, "never understood why someone would want to use up all that energy before the race even starts. yuk yuk."

this is the same race i was talking about :lol:

brittle

Postby MikeS » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:10 pm

Shut outs as a goalie in ice hockey. I was probably the littlest guy on the ice too
MikeS

Postby alaska » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:23 pm

Science wrote:
shark week wrote:in college i played one season of intramural flag football. we were playing in the first rd of the playoffs in an elimination game. i had an exam the following morning so i had planned on studying all night and took some adderall before the game.

lol this rules
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby guy forget » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Oh I just remembered the first time I ever golfed outside of a range I scored par on a par 3 which was pretty cool
“known expert”

guy forget

Postby lights » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:08 pm

At the end of a shift at the golf course I worked at in high school, I went out to play 6-7 holes with three of my coworkers as we went around the course to grab the flags for the night.

These coworkers were all Serious Golfers, the type of guys that were on the HS team, whereas I enjoyed playing but never took it seriously. Agreed to a $5/hole bet for some reason and we went off.

For whatever reason everything clicked on those holes. My normally mediocre tee shots were all good, but my mid-iron thru short game/putting was absolutely on fire. I chipped in twice, once from a pain in the ass bunker. They were all shocked and I left work with $75 extra in my pocket.

Only time remotely close to that as an adult was when I was biking home from work in the snow, and hit a weird patch going into an intersection so that my best recovery option was to just take the right turn and hope for the best.

Ended up being basically a perfect complete powerslide through the corner leaving me perfectly positioned in the lane to go on down the road. Got an audible "woah damn!" from some guy waiting on the crosswalk signal which felt pretty great, even if I was then heading in the complete wrong direction.

lights

Postby shark week » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:09 am

lights wrote:Only time remotely close to that as an adult was when I was biking home from work in the snow, and hit a weird patch going into an intersection so that my best recovery option was to just take the right turn and hope for the best.

Ended up being basically a perfect complete powerslide through the corner leaving me perfectly positioned in the lane to go on down the road. Got an audible "woah damn!" from some guy waiting on the crosswalk signal which felt pretty great, even if I was then heading in the complete wrong direction.

love this

shark week

Postby shark week » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:21 am

i have two disc golf triumphs

the day of the Rally to Restore Sanity i was in college with access to the DC metro. we hopped in the car and planned to head down to the national mall but there was a massive crowd at the metro station. instead, we went back to the campus dorms, grabbed some discs and headed to the local course. i shot an immaculate PR -5 that day (on my home course) but it was such a clear and obvious afterglow from getting laid (for the first time in what felt like forever) the night before

the other took place on the same course. i rolled up on a summer morning at 9am five years later. there was usually no one there at this time. i strolled up to the first tee without any warmup and ripped a hole in one on a heavily angled shot. unexpectedly, there was a whole family moseying along already at the 9 hole with a front row seat to my hole in one on 1. they erupted in exclamations when it went in. it felt great.

shark week

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:22 am

On the last day of elementary school, I kicked a kickball through a tiny missing tile in the gym ceiling and the ball never came down. The class bell rang and the entire class started cheering. My life went downhill after that.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby shark week » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:26 am

brittle wrote:one time i did a bike race in wyoming and i broke away like 3 or 4 miles in solo'd the rest of the ride and won with enough time to change into my street clothes by the time 2nd place crossed the line.

this is a sick triumph

every time a breakaway rider manages to hold off the peloton in a grand tour it feels like a miracle. big ups

shark week

Postby Jeremy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:33 am

The curling team I was on in high school was accidentally booked against a middle school team and we beat them. That was our only win that wasn't by default. I would give anything to experience the joy of being on a curling team that sucks again.

Jeremy

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 am

Oh wait, also I’m a lefty who would always swing late. My little league coach made a bet at the end of the game that if I could hit a double between first and second I could pie him in the face. I ended up hitting a triple and got to pie him during our next game. Pretty proud moment I gotta say.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby joe » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:42 am

alaska wrote:i was the slowest person on my middle school football team and i played defensive tackle because i couldn't remember the offensive plays but during one game john chamberlain knocked the ball out of the other running back's hands directly into mine and i made it twenty yards before i was pushed out of bounds

mostly i was relieved i went in the right direction tbh

oh god i was like a third string wide receiver and db on my middle school football team. i honestly didn't think i was that bad? but whatever. i was put in periodically out of pity i guess, but like once i ran full speed and made this game saving tackle with perfect form. it was so satisfy to make that hit with all that momentum and adrenaline.

joe

Postby murderhorn » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:07 am

at an outdoor rink once I made a really nice pass to send someone in alone, really just snapped a long stretch pass at a really challenging angle right on the tape. when I released it two players were behind me looking at roughly the same angle I was and they both at the exact same time said 'nice pass.'

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:22 am

another time when I was like 20 I played a doubles tennis game, me and my dad vs his two brothers. his oldest brother was a great tennis player and all around athlete in his day but had been sick a long time and could only sort of amble around at this stage. his serves were still unplayable for people at my level. anyway my uncles were just merciless vs my dad, every time he fucked up they were just like dad was right about you being the worst athlete in the family, really harsh stuff, these weren't people who were liberal with compliments. so at one point I hit a really nice forehand winner and my former elite athlete uncle said 'he's a natural athlete.' I was a heavy hitter in my pre-university days but I always did ok in gym class and like house league hockey so to get such a compliment as a young adult when I was more fit and enjoyed athletics more (weed) was just unbelievable. this day is among my last memories of my uncle too who was the best dude I ever met.

murderhorn

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:41 am

lordofdiapers wrote:Ran a 4:23 mile my sophomore year of high school

this is very good. did you keep running after that?

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby regal mallard » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:59 pm

wrongo
regal mallard

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley