Q: Into the Storm (2021)

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby galactagogue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:04 pm

auspice wrote:i also think Ron Watkins is a textbook example of everything that can wrong when someone grows up with absolutely no maternal figure for guidance, unless that's what he gets out of his visits to Soapland lol

I hope Hoback appreciates how lucky he was to gain access to these people because they're by far the only thing carrying the series to any significance

god the way he brought up soapland was so fucking creepy.
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:04 pm

noooooooooooooooo
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby guidance » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:04 pm

i loved this

guidance

Postby auspice » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:13 pm

galactagogue wrote:the thing is the 'anons are more honest' attitude can horeshoe fast. i'm impressed that he was able to actually learn so much about human behavior this way. At least enough to make him as perceptive as he is. these are 'soft skills' you don't usually associate with digitally mediated social interactions.

idk, Q people kinda seem like they just want easy answers that abstract and obscure any role they have in it, other than the enlightened observer. the contrast between these things feels is strong.

I meant that moreso as what draws people to the Chans in general, I wasn't really endorsing any sense of goodwill being there, although I still contend that 4chan boards are generally way more entertaining than anything I've ever found on Reddit, despite the toxicity (which was just as bad there before Reddit went hardcore with moderation).

Still, as the Watkins said in the last episode 95% of 8chan's traffic disappeared after its makeover so as bad as that site's been it's clear the Q people are an entirely different breed. I look at the Q phenomenon as Ron (with obvious help from a couple others) successfully giving decades of conspiracy culture its own MCU, which is why it's now a mainstream thing and clearly is not gonna go away anytime soon.

auspice

Postby auspice » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:14 pm

galactagogue wrote:
auspice wrote:i also think Ron Watkins is a textbook example of everything that can wrong when someone grows up with absolutely no maternal figure for guidance, unless that's what he gets out of his visits to Soapland lol

I hope Hoback appreciates how lucky he was to gain access to these people because they're by far the only thing carrying the series to any significance

god the way he brought up soapland was so fucking creepy.

the face Fred makes when Hoback mentions they went there is probably the hardest I laughed at anything in the series

auspice

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:43 pm

jim watkins is a generally disturbing human, i really really don’t want to know what kind of shit he gets into when the cameras are off

also they mentioned a few times that fred was “one of the guys behind gamergate” or something - was that mainly just structural or was he also like a shitty alt-right MRA dude who just happens to be better than the watkins?

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Fine Wine » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:46 pm

I imagine it meant he was on 4chan in that period

Fine Wine

Postby Bob511 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:07 pm

Fine Wine wrote:I imagine it meant he was on 4chan in that period

It appears that he ran one of the imageboards (the incel/virgin one mentioned in the series) that went on to harass Quinn IRL, and though he "resigned" (as also mentioned in the doc) a couple of months before that campaign, he seems to have been pretty vocal about how she was faking it all and framing Wizardchan for the attention.

And obviously his 8chan was basically a means of rehoming the GG and other diaspora when 4chan cracked down.
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby Bob511 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:20 pm

Why Do All These Hateful Edgelords Keep Inheriting My Imageboards?
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby auspice » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:24 pm

Yeah Fred's relationship with Gamergate is principally granting the movement a platform where it could flourish via 8chan, as 4chan eventually banned all gamergate discussion from its boards. I think what makes Fred a very fascinating character in all this is that he clearly played an instrumental role in things progressing to where they are right now and appears to be in pretty deep emotional turmoil about it. At a certain point his crusade to get 8chan/8kun shut down was clearly a manifestation of his guilt and feeling like doing so would release him of his culpability in these movements, which it's pretty obvious he does not want to be attached to anymore. It's still pretty clear he is not a fan of mainstream media though, from the way he talks about NYT/WaPo in his interviews and how they portray him. He doesn't seem to understand that 8chan becoming 8kun doesn't magically erase history and isn't gonna stop journalists from citing him as its creator whenever they report on what's going on, especially since the Q movement is going to be around until at least the next general election when/if Trump runs again.

auspice

Postby galactagogue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:03 pm

I did/do kinda buy the angle that it was motivated by some naive/poorly thought out championing of freedom of speech mixed with a genuine misanthropy from dealing people's pity or patronizing comments as a disabled person. He was like 19, right?

galactagogue

Postby RIXX » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:40 am

auspice wrote:He doesn't seem to understand that 8chan becoming 8kun doesn't magically erase history and isn't gonna stop journalists from citing him as its creator whenever they report on what's going on, especially since the Q movement is going to be around until at least the next general election when/if Trump runs again.

Did you see episode 5? Because Fred pretty much says the exact opposite of this. Cullen tells him “you won!” and Fred says it doesn’t feel like a win, because journalists (he specifically cites McLaughlin/Wired, Harwell/WaPo, Roose/NYT) will still cite him as the creator the next time it makes the news, and report out that 8chan and 8kun are “alter egos”

RIXX

Postby auspice » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:17 am

RIXX wrote:
auspice wrote:He doesn't seem to understand that 8chan becoming 8kun doesn't magically erase history and isn't gonna stop journalists from citing him as its creator whenever they report on what's going on, especially since the Q movement is going to be around until at least the next general election when/if Trump runs again.

Did you see episode 5? Because Fred pretty much says the exact opposite of this. Cullen tells him “you won!” and Fred says it doesn’t feel like a win, because journalists (he specifically cites McLaughlin/Wired, Harwell/WaPo, Roose/NYT) will still cite him as the creator the next time it makes the news, and report out that 8chan and 8kun are “alter egos”

I did, which is why I don't understand why Fred proceeded to continue to take on the Watkins in what was obviously going to be a losing battle, to the point where he literally could have cost himself his own life had he not escaped the Philippines in time and was thrown into the prison population there. By getting the Watkins to makeover the site, Fred did succeed in essentially buying himself the insurance of being able to make the argument any time a journalist did throw 8kun back in his face that he no longer has anything to do with the site and that it's a completely different thing now.That was more or less what I saw Hoback trying to get across with him, but Fred was clearly continuing to pursue it to an unhealthy degree and I wish there was someone who wasn't also a documentarian invested in Fred doing the wrong things who could have reasoned him into not jeopardizing his own livelihood. As much as I like Fred it does seem like he's really shifted to chasing celebrity status now, so I still don't think he really has any good role models in his life.

this is currently his pinned tweet. he's been more or less live-tweeting the entire series since it started airing as if it were a show he actually acted in, I just don't think he has everything together. he just also happens to be a very intelligent person so it's probably very difficult for anyone to really get in there when he's fixated on the wrong things, especially since Fred's life circumstances are just so unique and difficult for most people to really relate to.

auspice

Postby loaf angel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:16 am

i liked Fred even if I think he really more had an axe to grind rather than the altruistic vendetta he claims to have against his former site
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby galactagogue » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:46 am

idk auspice i think yr collapsing a lot of details to serve a read you already have. chasing celebrity status? he's a paraplegic who lives the bulk of his social life online. being cocky on twitter isn't exactly chasing celebrity and even then, guy is still pretty niche and in the same circles that lionize someone like elon musk lol.

galactagogue

Postby RIXX » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:21 am

I mean yeah I would be live-tweeting a docuseries I was a central figure in too, that doesn’t seem like clout chasing to me. And I think he’s posting a lot about it right now because the finale just aired, but I was reading his twitter last week and it was almost all nerdy tweets about font designing, he was even joking about exposing all his new followers to the world of fonts

RIXX

Postby RIXX » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:21 am

loaf angel wrote:i liked Fred even if I think he really more had an axe to grind rather than the altruistic vendetta he claims to have against his former site

Yeah. Cullen more or less summed it up when he said “rivalries suck!” Or whatever

RIXX

Postby easy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:04 am

re: the conversation on the last page ... ideally I would have preferred a documentary series whose creator didn’t insert themselves into the narrative, but given the cast of characters we’re dealing with here, I’m not sure that show would have been nearly as compelling. hoback isn’t like, a bastion of charisma, but a good deal of this miniseries’ better moments played out as a result of him chumming it up with these folks (two of whom are all-time weirdos)

easy
does it

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:52 am

agreed, he did not bother me that much

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby auspice » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:26 am

easy wrote:re: the conversation on the last page ... ideally I would have preferred a documentary series whose creator didn’t insert themselves into the narrative, but given the cast of characters we’re dealing with here, I’m not sure that show would have been nearly as compelling. hoback isn’t like, a bastion of charisma, but a good deal of this miniseries’ better moments played out as a result of him chumming it up with these folks (two of whom are all-time weirdos)

A lot of his chime-ins are definitely necessary for certain scenes to make sense (like I said, the hardest I laughed was him telling Fred they went to Soapland and Fred's reaction), it's moreso the moments where Cullen is literally filming himself and is essentially doing comedy routines for the camera that made me wish he would have been a bit more professional about striking a better balance between his presence and the subjects.

auspice

Postby Catullus » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:30 am

I mean it just needs to be emphasized that the Watkins are all time weirdos and give me big fuckin creep vibes and my skin crawled every time the dad was on camera.

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby galactagogue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:30 am

he's not particularly affable but he didn't overwhelm anything for me... you might just not like the guy?

galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:31 am

Catullus wrote:I mean it just needs to be emphasized that the Watkins are all time weirdos and give me big fuckin creep vibes and my skin crawled every time the dad was on camera.

the dad got creepier and creepier by the end.

galactagogue

Postby hadlex » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 am

The question posed by this doc and 8chan generally is: is too much freedom toxic?
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.

hadlex

Postby loaf angel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:34 am

galactagogue wrote:
Catullus wrote:I mean it just needs to be emphasized that the Watkins are all time weirdos and give me big fuckin creep vibes and my skin crawled every time the dad was on camera.

yea, he started off like "ha, check out this kook!" then by the end he was in full on eyebrow wax mode and i wasn't having any of it
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby auspice » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 am

galactagogue wrote:he's not particularly affable but he didn't overwhelm anything for me... you might just not like the guy?

I mean I have the same criticisms of the Axios show on HBO where the journalists frequently arrange cutesy moments for themselves on camera (while also being terrible journalists, looking at you Alexi McCammond), it's just a major pet peeve of mine when it comes to documentaries, regardless of the subject matter. Like I'm getting the weirdo vibes aplenty from all the 8chan people, I don't need Hoback to stop and remind me that I am, in fact, correct about these people being bizarre, I can see that very easily myself.
Last edited by auspice on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

auspice

Postby auspice » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 am

loaf angel wrote:
galactagogue wrote:

yea, he started off like "ha, check out this kook!" then by the end he was in full on eyebrow wax mode and i wasn't having any of it

agreed, but his "when you live in the U.S. you have to actually work" line towards the end was something I felt hard lol

auspice

Postby Catullus » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 am

galactagogue wrote:

Though I do appreciate how hard I laughed when he shows up with what I can only describe as Hitler Molester mustache.

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby auspice » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:38 am

Ron's esoteric philosophy drop in the woods with his sword was definitely a top 5 moment for me

auspice

Postby garbiel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:51 am

I think hotwheels's character arc has been incredible
mactheo wrote:look: i don't understand

garbiel

PreviousNext

Return to Poster's Paradise