Souls-Like thread (Dark Souls Bloodborne Soulsborne Sekiro )

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:37 pm

This is an even more ridiculously ill-defined genre than rogue-like but everyone knows what you're talking about

talk about your favorite DeS/DaS inspired games that are not developed by FromSoft (only rule is From didn't make them unless Miyazaki moves somewhere)

so I have Hollow Knight and Blasphemous in the backlog b/c 7a donated for me to get Sekiro but I've never played. I think I'm putting both on my backlog until after Remake Hardmode and 13 sentinels and MAYBE Yakuza 7 (i have a huge backlog)
Both of them have obviously gotten incredible reviews although for some reason Blasphemous (maybe the gore?) hasn't gotten as much attention despite positive scores

i dunno where i'm going

what's everyone's favorite souls-like game that isn't FromSoft

1 Hyper Light Drifter
2 Salt & Sanctuary (absolute masterpiece of a game that people underrate or totally dismiss due to art when it plays more incredibly and tightly than any game like it and and has surprisingly good lore considering the previous games from the charlie murder guy)
3 Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - maybe the best metroidvania ever made including super metroid and castlevania: SotN (S&S is a metrtoidvania I'm not really ordering these just thinking of games i've played that are clearly meant to appeal to Soulsbourne fans
Last edited by Aeris on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeris

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:38 pm

yeah hollow knight is sick
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:41 pm

i think i was partially inspired to encourage more people to play HLD which is one of my favorite games of all time in any genre
Last edited by Aeris on Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeris

Postby sevenarts » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:49 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure you convinced me to play HLD and it really rules, the aesthetic and exploration and everything are just amazing. Great game, I should play it again because it's been a while.

I feel like Hollow Knight is only a Soulslike in the absolute broadest possible sense, it's really not very Soulsy at all but it's one of my favorite games for sure. I think it has my favorite exploration/map of like any game outside of DS1, it's so satisfying to find new paths and connections.

sevenarts

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:50 pm

masterpiece

some of the best bosses ever in games

i got my most twitch views ever doing this one in "Insane" difficulty (one hit kill)
i still can't believe i managed it (100% all bosses, not at like speed run level but I did everything to get the true ending and all)

Aeris

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:53 pm

sevenarts wrote:Yeah I'm pretty sure you convinced me to play HLD and it really rules, the aesthetic and exploration and everything are just amazing. Great game, I should play it again because it's been a while.

I feel like Hollow Knight is only a Soulslike in the absolute broadest possible sense, it's really not very Soulsy at all but it's one of my favorite games for sure. I think it has my favorite exploration/map of like any game outside of DS1, it's so satisfying to find new paths and connections.

i mean it's kind of become shorthand for "hard game that will likely appeal to fans of Soulsbornkero" and so yeah it fits at this point
like i said stuff gets called roguelike that fans of the original rogue would destroy monitors over just trying

Aeris

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:54 pm

Aeris wrote:

masterpiece

some of the best bosses ever in games

i got my most twitch views ever doing this one in "Insane" difficulty (one hit kill)
i still can't believe i managed it (100% all bosses, not at like speed run level but I did everything to get the true ending and all)

Pardoner Fennel is Lady Maria tier if you want to know how good the bosses in this game are

Aeris

Postby Fine Wine » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:57 pm

That looks so good

Fine Wine

Postby Fine Wine » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:57 pm

I keep getting games and not having time to play them though

Fine Wine

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:58 pm

Fine Wine wrote:I keep getting games and not having time to play them though

even going 100% Momodora 4 is like 5 hours iirc

Aeris

Postby sevenarts » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:05 pm

I think HLD, Hollow Knight, S&S, Momodora, and Nioh (lol) are the only Soulslikes I've actually finished. Most of the time when I get one of these I get hyped but then after an hour or two I just wish I was playing Bloodborne instead. Seems like it's been pretty hard for game-makers to do much interesting with the Souls inspiration other than a very select few.

sevenarts

Postby budlite supernova » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:11 pm

Out of all the games like this I've only played Hollow Knight and Nioh. Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games of all time and I've done multiple playthroughs. I could not finish Nioh though, I really did not like that game lol.

I agree that Hollow Knight is really not like Dark Souls at all. The checkpoint system (which I'm pretty sure wasn't entirely invented by Dark Souls) and the storytelling are the only things that make it feel similar. "Hard bosses" also isn't a thing invented by Dark Souls.

budlite supernova

Postby budlite supernova » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:15 pm

Oh also the death system where you gotta go back and get your coins is kinda like Dark Souls I suppose

budlite supernova

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:16 pm

budlite supernova wrote:Out of all the games like this I've only played Hollow Knight and Nioh. Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games of all time and I've done multiple playthroughs. I could not finish Nioh though, I really did not like that game lol.

I agree that Hollow Knight is really not like Dark Souls at all. The checkpoint system (which I'm pretty sure wasn't entirely invented by Dark Souls) and the storytelling are the only things that make it feel similar. "Hard bosses" also isn't a thing invented by Dark Souls.

Ye they're mostly NES era inspired bit I feel like they've all been influenced by Souls including HK

Like Hyper Light Drifter is more Zelda souls than anything but it was made to speak to Souls fans like me

Aeris

Postby Fine Wine » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:17 pm

Jeez the reviews for Momodora are brutal

Fine Wine

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:19 pm

Also the lore style counts as much as the combat and respawn systems imo

There is a Momodora 4 RUtM gdq run that is shocking (not a gimmick, he literally can only use one hand to play games, also check out his nier automata run)

Aeris

Postby budlite supernova » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:20 pm

Yeah Aeris I totally agree that you can feel the influence Dark Souls has on Hollow Knight. I guess I dislike the term "soulslike" in comparison to Hollow Knight, because people tend to go in expecting "cheap Dark Souls knockoff" and it's anything but that imo

budlite supernova

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:20 pm

Fine Wine wrote:Jeez the reviews for Momodora are brutal

4/RUtM? It was pretty universally praised, I just compared the first three to the PICO Celeste to Celeste proper, there is a huge difference

Aeris

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:23 pm

budlite supernova wrote:Yeah Aeris I totally agree that you can feel the influence Dark Souls has on Hollow Knight. I guess I dislike the term "soulslike" in comparison to Hollow Knight, because people tend to go in expecting "cheap Dark Souls knockoff" and it's anything but that imo

It isn't (reputation wise I haven't played) but like RUtM probably gets those expectations from players and it's incredible
Like this is all based on "rogue like" where fans of rogue probably are pissed at most rogue like games

Aeris

Postby wakeman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:25 pm

Gotta get Momodora next time it’s on Switch sale

Highly recommend Iron Pineapple’s series on shite Souls-likes

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuY9odN8x9pvIoTDtNOZxzo5m6EsBspAi

wakeman

Postby budlite supernova » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:40 pm

This thread is the first time I am seeing Hyper Light Drifter and Momodora. I've been replaying old games over and over again lately so I'm probably getting one of these now, ty Aeris

budlite supernova

Postby buginabubble » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:57 pm

the only ones that have caught my eye are blasphemous and mortal shell, which i don't have much faith in being Truly Great, but will probably pirate and try anyway
buginabubble

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:25 am

hyper light drifter looks p cool (i think i had it confused with kentucky route zero but also thought they were both car-based?) though i don't love that kinda pixel art

might snag that thingon my nintendo tho
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby iambic » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:27 am

the star wars jedi game is too slick and easy, but I enjoyed it

iambic

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:29 am

i think i would have bought that by now if the main character looked cooler

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby warmjets » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:31 am

a few people have recommended that game to me after i told them i played through dark souls remastered

warmjets

Postby iambic » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:35 am

respawn are a great dev, and it feels good to play. it has some "EA polish" and collectible shit to it that's unnecessary, but it's the best AAA execution of the form I've seen.

iambic

Postby tgk » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:51 am

budlite supernova wrote:Yeah Aeris I totally agree that you can feel the influence Dark Souls has on Hollow Knight. I guess I dislike the term "soulslike" in comparison to Hollow Knight, because people tend to go in expecting "cheap Dark Souls knockoff" and it's anything but that imo

To me soulslike simply means the game will absolutely punish you for rushing through and forces you to play intentionally and thoughtfully

tgk

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:53 am

lol i always read the one NEGATIVE review of a thing so metacritic has some thing about HLD saying it's more CHEAP than hard? like it's just boring and annoying instead of Actually Challenging the way the From games are?

someone talk me out of believing that dude and into spending $20 on this thing for my swintendo

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby dan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:01 pm

Aeris wrote:2 Salt & Sanctuary (absolute masterpiece of a game that people underrate or totally dismiss due to art when it plays more incredibly and tightly than any game like it and and has surprisingly good lore considering the previous games from the charlie murder guy)

This is in the top tier of indiavanias for me, it never gets any respect but it captures the Souls feeling of moving deeper into new, unknown dangerous zones better than anything else that tries to copy them. You just have to be able to roll with the characters looking like Madballs. Echoing the praise.

I want to highlight Unworthy which I never see get mentioned anywhere as a really top notch souls-like metroidvana. Very fun game where the gimmick is you can't jump which sounds terrible but they build everything around that (level design, enemy placement, upgrades) so that progressing feels extremely satisfying. Great job making all the weapons play different and feel viable too. The very start of the game is rough would be my one knock against it. It's $3.75 on steam right now, good deal if you ask me.

Dandara is another good one. It might not look like it fits at first, but it has soul collection and loss (done here as "salt") and resting at campfires so that's Souls enough for me. Gimmick is zipping all around the rooms and walking on every surface, and they get good mileage out of it with new twists on it in each area. Combat is really basic but it's still satisfying trying to get triple blasts on people. Even though I've seen the gravity defying thing done in a lot of 2D games it still feels very unique here combined with all the metroidvania/souls elements so I'd say give this a shot if you're interested.

Death's Gambit is the other "big" indie metroidvania souls-like I can think of off the top of my head (I've written about all these in posts before but I can't find them). I don't care for it all that much because it does the exact thing Souls is very careful to avoid which is cut constantly to dialogue and cutscenes and flashbacks. The world feels a little small and boring too but I guess this has some ok polish to it, and it's not like it's aggressively bad or anything, just mediocre. I guess there was a big update to it recently that changed a bunch of stuff so I'll maybe give it another go.

I tried playing Dark Devotion but it felt terrible and I gave up after 15 minutes.

dan

Next

Return to Poster's Paradise