Souls-Like thread (Dark Souls Bloodborne Soulsborne Sekiro )

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby budlite supernova » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:29 pm

Aeris wrote:Like I will never best ninja gaiden but as a small child I spent a long time playing it
Like these souls and likes are definitely easier than early nintendo games

I never beat original Metroid or original Zelda. NES games are hard as fuck

budlite supernova

Postby budlite supernova » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:32 pm

The only reason I finished Super Mario Bros was because I had the game boy color version which had a save function. That version also had the Lost Levels, which are hard as fuck
Last edited by budlite supernova on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

budlite supernova

Postby broodstar » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:32 pm

every game is fuckin ez

never once struggled in my life

broodstar

Postby budlite supernova » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:37 pm

budlite supernova

Postby budlite supernova » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:46 pm

I finished the crystal forest area in Hyper Light Drifter a few days ago and had a ton of fun. I also found the soccer hooligan in the main hub area...I haven't been able to score on them a single a time.

budlite supernova

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:49 pm

budlite supernova wrote:I finished the crystal forest area in Hyper Light Drifter a few days ago and had a ton of fun. I also found the soccer hooligan in the main hub area...I haven't been able to score on them a single a time.

I beat this pretty easy so it may have been just dumb luck since a lot of people seem to struggle with it

But

This is one of my favorite off the beaten path areas in games
I honestly can't even remember how you gain access to the soccer match place and it's only been like four years

Aeris

Postby Aeris » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:50 pm

broodstar wrote:every game is fuckin ez

never once struggled in my life

🐍

Aeris

Postby Aeris » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:46 pm

ashtrayheart wrote:
Aeris wrote:Wait I said the opposite of that

oh well then i disagree. i beat ninja gaiden a bunch as a kid though

Are you a god

Aeris

Postby Aeris » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:47 pm

I beat Black which was probably the hardest game of it's generation and fuck the nes shit

Aeris

Postby budlite supernova » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:20 pm

Made it to the end credits in HLD today, incredibly sick game. I definitely missed a lot of shit so I'm going to continue this playthrough and explore further. I have a hunch there are multiple endings to this game and I got the "bad" one lol

budlite supernova

Postby wakeman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:20 am

Fuck, this is 2 real 4 me

wakeman

Postby denvermax » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:52 am

I only enjoy using fast / dex weapons in these games which as far as I can tell is extremely unusual

denvermax

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:59 am

I am really basic but I tend to go longsword/shield. Dex stuff can be fun but not as much the Knight Hero Vibes I’m going for
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby This Guy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:01 am

I love using shields in these games

This Guy

Postby pure white soul tendency » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:01 am

i've played like close to every variety of character in these games at this point but my first runthrough of demons was with the uchigatana as my main weapon and everytime i go back to it it feels like going home

this run of dark 3 i'm doing dex/faith and using a sharp uchigatana that i'm buffing with either dark weapon or lightning blade depending on the area i'm in and it feels nice.
helloppl wrote:More tribal bullshit. Guess what I'm Roman catholic. U think I give a flying cookie what some forum dweeb thinks of me? I look up to men that pray 14 hrs a day. I forgot the secular humanists are the only ones who get to enjoy Hollywood "entertainments".

pure white soul tendency

Postby hasel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:07 am

i did dark souls with the scythe but in bloodborne im really loving the hunters axe and now i want to explore strength builds more. big slam

hasel

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:14 am

yeah weirdly i've never just done like, get the biggest slowest weapon and use that

in bb i like the kos parasite and amygdala arm cause the sky and the cosmos are oneToggle Spoiler
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:15 am

does dks3 do the same thing as 2 where the fire BUFF makes your sword look flamey and cool but having a Fire Sword just looks normal til you strike something?

i guess that's for pvp so ppl dont know what u got?

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby buginabubble » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:21 pm

reinforced club in dark souls 1 is what i always used that early on, especially upgraded with lightning. like zero stat requirements and does bonus bleed damage, the r2 stumbles enemies, etc

dark souls 3 is pretty balanced, i never found anything op, just went longswords and axes. i find knocking enemies around with the axe in bloodborne too satisfying to use the other weapons
buginabubble

Postby pure white soul tendency » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:34 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:does dks3 do the same thing as 2 where the fire BUFF makes your sword look flamey and cool but having a Fire Sword just looks normal til you strike something?

i guess that's for pvp so ppl dont know what u got?

yeah i was actually just noticing that last night cuz i also have lightning sellsword twinblades for backup in case i run out of fp.
helloppl wrote:More tribal bullshit. Guess what I'm Roman catholic. U think I give a flying cookie what some forum dweeb thinks of me? I look up to men that pray 14 hrs a day. I forgot the secular humanists are the only ones who get to enjoy Hollywood "entertainments".

pure white soul tendency

Postby pure white soul tendency » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:36 pm

also yeah the only time i ever did a sl1 run in any of these games was in dark 1 and it was hilarious how devastasting the reinforced club was after lightning reinforcement. i think four kings was the only boss that gave me significant trouble because i wasn't used to fighting them without relying on being able to tank some of the damage. oh also the artorias of the abyss dlc didn't exist yet but i'm sure kalameet/manus would be hellish too.

pure white soul tendency

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:39 pm

yeah i did a sl1 run on dks1 too but i don't think i could do the dlc

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby pure white soul tendency » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:42 pm

i think my favorite thing about dark 3 is how many gems you get from the start as well as having easy access to the blacksmith -- it makes it really easy and intuitive to play around with a bunch of different weapons.

also i think it has the best individual level design and bosses in the series... like i remember the cathedral of the deep thoroughly blowing me away when if irst played it and i had the same experience this time around... but ~as a whole~ the atmosphere just doesn't scratch the same itch the other games do for me sadly. i now remember and i think this was even the case at the time is that it really does feel like a greatest hits comp for better or worse.

after that i have sekiro to beat then i'll run through the dlcs and my work will be done.

pure white soul tendency

Postby buginabubble » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:42 pm

ashtrayheart wrote:the only thing that sucks about BB is like, the easiest thing in the world to fix and i hope they do in a remaster: you have to go to hunters dream and back to respawn enemies. especially on ps4, that’s like a five minute exercise.

blood vials being a limited resource also kinda sucks but by the time enemies get really hard it’s not such a big deal to farm vials (aside from having to load twice to respawn)

i will play devils advocate for these things, though i agree that they should have dropped at least the hunters dream teleporting because it is maddeningly slow on ps4. they both seem like deliberate decisions to make the universe feel cohesive. in bloodborne you are supposed to be definitively human, not an undead or anything, and thus subject to a more abject physical reality than the insane things around you. this necessitates the 'dream' as a portal to/from that physical reality. i believe a system like the estus flask was eschewed because it's basically a 'magical' item that endlessly refills itself, and even in the souls universe that's something of an outlier. so you have to physically collect all the stupid little bottles, even if you do automagically send/retrieve them from your stored inventory at points. a small gameplay change that gives, which i do like as it rewards good play, is being able to stay on a 'run' longer because you are picking up vials as you go.

you did have to 'earn' the ability to teleport in ds1 through the lordvessel, though i think that has less inherent meaning. demon's souls seemed to have a similar approach with the grass, and even went further in physical realism by keeping a fairly restrictive item weight / item burden stat, among other details.

the final boss of sekiro having a little automatic revolver pissed me off because it was anachronistic. it would be like gascoigne suddenly pulling up on a motorcycle in bloodborne. the games stick to a pretty careful mix of mythical fantasy / period reality and i think that's part of their strength
buginabubble

Postby shizaam » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 pm

how do they other souls games compare difficulty-wise to sekiro (only one i've played)?

shizaam

Postby pure white soul tendency » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:48 pm

i get the impression that it depends on what you play first. because sekiro is ~substantially different~ enough to force you to unlearn old habits.. i had played/beaten all the other ones and almost ragequit on both the lady butterfly fight and the genichiro fight. or at least to learn. once you've learned how to play (which the geniciro fight absolutely forced me to do) it's about on par with the other games.

i played a little bit of it -- up to genichiro a week ago or so and it's really like riding a bike. i hadn't played it since it came out 2 years ago and i struggled a little bit at first again but after getting into the groove it really felt like the most natural thing in the world.

pure white soul tendency

Postby hasel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:51 pm

ive decided im a big fan of the vials.

however i think the hunters mark should return you to the dream instead of your most recent lamp, because i only ever use it when i want to pop back to the dream

hasel

Postby walt whitman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:52 pm

if you got gud at sekiro, you'll probably think DS and BB are very easy
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby hasel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:52 pm

now that im halfway (?) through bloodborne, i have to sadly declare that while i love sekiro dearly, it just doesn't have enough stuff in it

hasel

Postby buginabubble » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:54 pm

sekiro is arguably the hardest in enemy combat because you can't really grind stats or swap gear for an advantage. it forces you to learn the enemies better and play in a more circumscribed way. they're all pretty similar otherwise
buginabubble

PreviousNext

Return to Poster's Paradise