Souls-Like thread (Dark Souls Bloodborne Soulsborne Sekiro )

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby pure white soul tendency » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:57 pm

yeah the only thing about sekiro and this goes with what i said about it being like riding a bike is that the lack of customization really does limit the infinite replayability that the rest of the games have for me.
helloppl wrote:More tribal bullshit. Guess what I'm Roman catholic. U think I give a flying cookie what some forum dweeb thinks of me? I look up to men that pray 14 hrs a day. I forgot the secular humanists are the only ones who get to enjoy Hollywood "entertainments".

pure white soul tendency

Postby walt whitman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:59 pm

in DS or BB you can beat most bosses and difficult enemies by grinding, dumping points into stats or weapon abilities, but that option doesn't exist in sekiro

in a stricter sense you have to be a more skillful player (or know how to cheese the bosses) to advance in sekiro
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby garbiel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:59 pm

katastroika wrote:yeah the only thing about sekiro and this goes with what i said about it being like riding a bike is that the lack of customization really does limit the infinite replayability that the rest of the games have for me.

this is why i dont really like sekiro as much as other from guys. i never really engaged with the games it's more like I played "around" them with cheesy builds. Sekiro was really cool but having only one way to really approach the game put a damper on everything for me. Sitll good tho
mactheo wrote:look: i don't understand

garbiel

Postby buginabubble » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:59 pm

the lack of weird npcs with obtuse questlines also made me less interested in replaying sekiro. but i think it's been long enough to be fun again
buginabubble

Postby walt whitman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:00 pm

in other FromSoft titles you reach a point in the game where most enemies don't pose that much threat

that point never comes in sekiro lol

walt whitman

Postby buginabubble » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:02 pm

walt whitman wrote:in other FromSoft titles you reach a point in the game where most enemies don't pose that much threat

that point never comes in sekiro lol

yeah, and honestly once you finally have a big cool repertoire of shit to use and are good at it, it's over too soon. i wondered why there wasn't DLC

i always regret hoarding all my good items in from games, but i can't help it
buginabubble

Postby garbiel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:04 pm

I think dlc would have been bad for sekiro as a work. even compared to bloodborne it's really on rails mechanically and thematically. it's a great game that's supposed to run its course and end, like Portal. Everything is so much more tightly controlled that slotting in DLC (even good dlc like in DaS2) might mess too much with the structure of the game

garbiel

Postby garbiel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:05 pm

sekiro sequels would be cool ttho

garbiel

Postby wakeman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:09 pm

I disagree, they already establish the idea of going back into memories with the Hirata Estate bell. Could use that same structure for a flashback adventure DLC.

wakeman

Postby buginabubble » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:10 pm

yeah it's definitely a more linear cinematic type of game, and feels complete as is. but they should add one of those memory flashback sequences or something and let me tear shit up anyway
buginabubble

Postby garbiel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:16 pm

totally forgot about the hirata estate memory thing in my mind it worked like a bonfire teleport or something

that's a good idea

garbiel

Postby sevenarts » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:24 pm

There was never meant to be Sekiro DLC because apparently they thought of it as a small little diversion while dedicating most of their resources to Elden Ring. Always blows my mind how good Sekiro is especially considering that. I definitely don't feel the need to return to it as much without builds and multiplayer giving me reasons to come back, but that's OK, it does what it does exceptionally well and doesn't need to be as compulsively replayable as their other games.

sevenarts

Postby wakeman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:31 pm

as much as the game rules, you can feel the smallness of it a bit with the re-use of Ape, Drunkard and Snake-Eyes bosses.

wakeman

Postby walt whitman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:58 pm

i assume after you kill the final boss in sekiro another headless ape pops out of his bleeding stump

walt whitman

Postby garbiel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:59 pm

sekiro dlc (3 apes)

garbiel

Postby jefe górgory » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:00 pm

i regret to inform you all that i have become a "bloodborne for pc when" after leaving my ps4 at my parents' house. i like dark souls compared to sekiro and bloodborne but i love to go fast a little too much
BTW there is a raging pandemic.

jefe górgory

Postby jefe górgory » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:08 pm

i actually really love the blood vials as the best suited for a sustained exploration phase. i suck at dark souls and so i go like 4 enemies deep past a bonfire and all of a sudden i've used too many estus flasks. also i hate being invaded so i never kindle lmao. i guess i could just play offline more. the vials are obviously extremely annoying if you get very stuck on a boss, but i didn't have enough trouble with bosses until i was also at a point in the game where i could farm a ton. it is just really nice that you can run low and then get back to a healthy stock without having to run all the way back.

also the best farming method is to run to your lamp, take out the chikage in transformed mode and just let it kill you lol
BTW there is a raging pandemic.

jefe górgory

Postby broodstar » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:22 pm

jefe górgory wrote:"bloodborne for pc when"

me but anything

broodstar

Postby Aeris » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:43 pm

wakeman wrote:as much as the game rules, you can feel the smallness of it a bit with the re-use of Ape, Drunkard and Snake-Eyes bosses.

Dark Souls reuses the tutorial boss twice and a good number of the bosses are basically repurposed from Demons

Also the mini bosses feel different to me even though I died to them more than some of the "real" ones and there's a lore reason for the guardian ape fight that feels consistent also I think it's just cool to fight a giant ape that carries its own head around because it's immortal
Like it's also cool to see how extreme the immortality in the game is and that there's really only one way to get rid of it to me

And I dunno I feel like the world was sufficiently big and there are in fact different approaches to everything in the game
I think the only encounter in the game that almost needs to be handled the same way is Demon of Hatred
Outside of maybe speed run strats I'm pretty sure you have to just use the umbrella? I dunno
There are skills people show in boss videos that are like "just do this over and over, instant win" and I can't do them but I can also abuse other stuff I'm good with to win

Aeris

Postby shizaam » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:01 pm

buginabubble wrote:sekiro is arguably the hardest in enemy combat because you can't really grind stats or swap gear for an advantage. it forces you to learn the enemies better and play in a more circumscribed way. they're all pretty similar otherwise

might give it a try then, the sekiro combat was really tough (especially coming in as my first from game)

shizaam

Postby Durham » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:11 pm

Got to nightmare of mensis in BB and am hitting a wall
Took the last week off away from home and will revisit after my break but my suckiness at gaming is hurting me

However lore wise (thanks to the vaatividya videos) it’s out of this world. Also an extremely desolate and lonely experience to play

I think I’ll do DS1 next. How does its difficultly compare to Demon and Bloodborne?

Durham

Postby sevenarts » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:30 pm

You'll get it! The lore/world in Bloodborne is my favorite in all these games, it's so deep and rich and layers in so much. Make sure you play the DLC - not only is it some of the best gameplay/bosses but the way it deepens the story even more is really something.

Bloodborne was my intro to these games and when I went back to DS1/DeS I basically breezed through most of them (but loved them too). BB is so much faster and more aggressive.

sevenarts

Postby Skerple » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:34 pm

buginabubble wrote:sekiro is arguably the hardest in enemy combat because you can't really grind stats or swap gear for an advantage. it forces you to learn the enemies better and play in a more circumscribed way. they're all pretty similar otherwise

that's cool, i'm excited to try that. in bloodborne and demon's souls and dark souls i've definitely been more of a grinder. even though i enjoy the mindless repetition aspect (kind of like diamond mining in minecraft) i know it can't be as rewarding as getting actually good
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby Aeris » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:29 pm

Just again specific skills let you cheese almost every enemy on sekiro it's wild
If you don't have them you obviously have to master the timing of your blocks and parrying and what but they aren't a huge deal with patience

..except OF

Aeris

Postby hasel » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:50 am

yall might have seen this guy already bc the youtube algo pushes him pretty hard but his vids are great for showing just how much weird funky stuff u can do with prosthetics

i think the difference between sekiro and other From games is that its not about build experimenting, it's about turning each boss fight into a choreographed sequence of perfect parries and clever applications of the prosthetic

like i said, i wish there was DLC, but if you come at it from the same angle as this guy the Boss Rush mode they added is really the perfect Sekiro endgame

hasel

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:52 am

forgot how huge Undead Settlement is in dks3. love that they have basically one level that twists and turns on itself, but i do wish it were a little less drab
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Skerple » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:24 pm

all i want to do is play bloodborne all day today.
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 pm

i am dealing with the vax hangover and the kids are just now going down for a nap so im bout to get back in there :twisted:
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Skerple » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 pm

who are the best bloodborne characters? mine so far

- micolash
- master willem
- djura
Not Recommended

Skerple

Postby pure white soul tendency » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:28 pm

the cathedral of the deep might be my favorite level in the whole series. in general dark 3 has a ton of areas that are wonderful at looping back in around in on themselves.

i think the main bonfire in the cathedral has what... 4? 5? shortcuts all leading to it.
helloppl wrote:More tribal bullshit. Guess what I'm Roman catholic. U think I give a flying cookie what some forum dweeb thinks of me? I look up to men that pray 14 hrs a day. I forgot the secular humanists are the only ones who get to enjoy Hollywood "entertainments".

pure white soul tendency

PreviousNext

Return to Poster's Paradise