Questions of the day as asked to my HS classes

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby sordid affair » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:02 pm

argh that's such a good one, cat, and i won't be able to steal it!

really hard for me personally, and i can't decide

iambic is most definitely the former
andrei wrote: i heard james joyce is tough, this is probably like the james joyce of rap, ostensibly, if you wanna think of it in those terms. haha, and it bumps, too!

sordid affair
chair in applied liberty

Location: the other side of mt. heart attack (in tiny pants, baking)

Postby Althea » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:32 pm

Definitely the second, the jury's still out on whether the past a year and a half is gonna kill me and that's with kids here half the time breaking up the solitude.
The cosmos, sorry (she/her)

Althea

Postby Catullus » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:32 pm

Hmm not sure if boarding counts. But honestly one of the things I loved about quarantine was getting to spend so much time with Bob even though I missed my colleagues and seeing my students in person. I just need feedback of others, if left alone without other people I definitely struggle and usually a sign my depression is really bad is if I’m constantly pulling back-but I still need core people.

I would say in the spirit of you’re never alone for a minute (someone is in the bathroom or shower wirh you) you’d have internet but not a way to actually communicate directly with others. You could watch read the board but not comment let’s say.

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby winjer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:34 pm

gosh either one would be pretty hellish. pretty damn hard to choose

winjer

Postby inmate » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:11 pm

i’d go with the former. i just moved out of my college house where i was around people nearly all the time and i handled it better than i ever would’ve expected tbh, but i still value my alone time too much and can easily go multiple days without human contact.

inmate

Postby joe » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:12 pm

Catullus wrote:Hmm not sure if boarding counts. But honestly one of the things I loved about quarantine was getting to spend so much time with Bob even though I missed my colleagues and seeing my students in person. I just need feedback of others, if left alone without other people I definitely struggle and usually a sign my depression is really bad is if I’m constantly pulling back-but I still need core people.

I would say in the spirit of you’re never alone for a minute (someone is in the bathroom or shower wirh you) you’d have internet but not a way to actually communicate directly with others. You could watch read the board but not comment let’s say.

dang, going to have to go with someone always around me.

joe

Postby joe » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:13 pm

i guess if digital communication was allowed it's quite the slippery slope. only messages in a bottle

joe

Postby John Dark » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:56 pm

How much would I have to pay to get a year alone without any human contact?
Now here is the lake. And I still haven't changed.

John Dark

Postby mancubz » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:06 pm

Omg my yappy lil ass needs ppl so bad
Can I pee alone? Poop alone? Shower alone? Or like will someone sit outside the shower just hanging out? In the shower
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby mancubz » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:07 pm

Like what’s the proximity need/interaction required of being around a person?
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby mancubz » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:07 pm

I would 100% kill myself if left alone for a year

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Althea » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:20 pm

It's sort of validating the suffering of this extra long year to see other people admitting they need people that badly

Althea

Postby jewels » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:25 pm

thinking back on when I lived alone and was single and I wouldn't go very long alone, maybe two nights at the most before I went to a coffee shop or bar to just absorb humanity and hope someone would find my drawings interesting enough to talk to me. And then I'd come home and hop on AIM and talk somebodies ear off.

I love being alone to work on art/music alone, and watch bad movies alone, but I start craving conversation pretty quickly. So I choose never alone.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Catullus » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:07 am

Summer school has begun, though it's actually middle schoolers over the summer. They are pretty fun overall (helps that my class doesn't have any grades).

Today: Would you rather travel to the past to meet your ancestors or the future to meet your descendants?

100% for ancestors so far

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby conductor » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:23 am

I feel like my descendants would curse my name...

conductor

Postby mactheo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:28 am

i wonder if there is an age where the answer shifts to 'descendants',

mactheo

Postby mactheo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:28 am

like if you're old

mactheo

Postby laserblast » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:31 am

my ancestors would be old racist Italian fucks who gives a shit about them

laserblast

Postby sordid affair » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:34 am

it would be cathartic to excoriate the slaveholders on my dad's side
andrei wrote: i heard james joyce is tough, this is probably like the james joyce of rap, ostensibly, if you wanna think of it in those terms. haha, and it bumps, too!

sordid affair
chair in applied liberty

Location: the other side of mt. heart attack (in tiny pants, baking)

Postby Catullus » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:39 am

My grandmother has told so many conflicting stories about my ancestry on my mom's side that I'm genuinely curious. My grandfathers whole side isn't a mystery-all roma from Bohemia that came to the US in the 1920sish and immediately discarded everything about the 'old country' including aggressively learning english and not wanting any kids to speak anything else. My grandma also has Czech/Bohemian ancestry, though farther back, but the rest she's said various things like that we're part French Canadian and part native American (I am certain that's not the case AT ALL) and other times part German or Dutch (I also doubt these) and other times Polish (more likely). Would be interesting to see what their lives were like even if all I know is that it was poor and tough and they hated it.

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby winjer » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 am

that is such a wonderful question

winjer

Postby Althea » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:23 am

Genuinely don't have an answer to that one, I feel like meeting my descendants would carry the curse of knowing my own future, but what's the chance of finding ancestors who were actually cool, I dunno.

Althea

Postby fury » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:44 am

a coteacher started a question of the day at the end of zoom classes this year to get some actual interaction and i kept it going during hybrid. going to bookmark this thread for next year

fury
ok

Postby Catullus » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:47 am

So I find this fascinating, but my largest class is the last period and they are all 6th graders and all but one said going to the future to see their descendants. Not sure what that says that younger students might be more forward thinking? One kid was like "right now is pretty messed up so I want to go forward and hopefully it's better".

Dare to dream, Jayde

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby joe » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:24 pm

descendents easily, i'm more curious about the future than about the past.

joe

Postby VHB » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:02 pm

Catullus wrote:
Today: Would you rather travel to the past to meet your ancestors or the future to meet your descendants?

100% for ancestors so far

How much of it is due, in your estimation, to some thinking they can’t/won’t/shouldn’t/don’t wanna have descendants as an option?
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

Kenny wrote:If you can remmeber any conversation with a cashier 30 seconds after you had it you're doing it wrong

VHB
VHS

Postby inmate » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:44 pm

i'd say future if there weren't a chance that your line could die out at any generation. like even if i have kids, it's no guarantee that my descendants will continue having kids for a couple hundred years, which is as far forward as i'd need to go for it to be as cool as being able to go several hundred or even thousands of years into the past. ancestors for me

inmate

Postby Althea » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:16 pm

It would be kinda cool if a time traveller from the past showed up and threw a big family reunion so you got to meet all the people on earth descended from these two randos who had a baby 500 years ago

Althea

Postby Jeremy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:18 pm

I could do a year with no human contact standing on my head.

Jeremy

Postby churrokbyme » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:34 pm

descendants for sure. ancestors seems kinda selfish because if it is one or the other, who am I to say satisfying my personal curiosity about my heritage is more valuable than denying my descendants the opportunity to learn about theirs?

I suppose with ancestors get to learn about you, but since they are dead they can't actually do anything with that information, unlike your descendants.
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

churrokbyme

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone