official shin megami tensei thread

Let's talk hats

Postby Dead_Wizard » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:07 pm

I like the vibe of neutral in this one, but that's because it's had the most explicit story tie-ins. lol @ the npcs in the tokyo office constantly talking about Yakumo coming and jacking stuff from them.

I'm in area 4 now....and it seems pretty massive. I took down 2 abscesses and tried 2 others - one was a massive party of lvl 65 demons and the other was all lvl 99 aggh! Are there sub-dungeons when you go and confront the other bethel branchesToggle Spoiler or is it just a port straight to a boss fight? I am stoked I finally got all the skill slots unlocked for my naho and demons.

I want to get to 62 so I can finally capture me a fafnir.

Cleopatra is great, "Frolic" is very powerful even if the charm part misses and I look forward to Luster Candy in a level.

Dead_Wizard

Postby New Improved Alaska » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:56 pm

Is luster candy the most op spell in smt
Maybe that and the severe almighty spells
They both cost a zillion mp though i guess
alaska1 wrote:I always look to something new amazing for more pleasure.

New Improved Alaska

Postby New Improved Alaska » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:58 pm

Yeah the area 4 abscesses are like smooth sailing until they're Not. It's honestly a weird area in terms of balance - ive had to kind of suss out ways of leveling up in a way i didnt in any of the other areas. And it feels like everything is either level 58 or level 72 lol

I'm up to 68...getting there...

New Improved Alaska

Postby New Improved Alaska » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:03 am

Oh my God the mara/gririmekhala conversation

New Improved Alaska

Postby RealKenny3 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:53 pm

I'm loving SMTV, I just got to the second boss the lady in the Diet BuildingToggle Spoiler and it seems like it's gonna take a minute to beat her
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

RealKenny3
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby New Improved Alaska » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:19 pm

At the Big Choice
Don't think i can get the "best" ending so i think I'm going chaos :twisted:

New Improved Alaska

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:50 pm

In his dragon quest review, Tim Rogers talks about how friends said they played that game as a kind of cool down before bed in short increments, and I'm mostly doing that for this game. Half hour bursts every night, just maybe leveling once and exploring a little and trying to get everything reverse fusion says I have access to. My only disappointment is when I kick myself for fusing away a skill I feel like I need without realizing I have no backup

WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby New Improved Alaska » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:55 am

Ok going to be d but i think I'm at the last boss lol

New Improved Alaska

Postby New Improved Alaska » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:14 am

Just hit credits
Killer video game

New Improved Alaska

Postby broodstar » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:02 pm

have u thought about not playing so many games and makign the rest of us look bad

broodstar

Postby broodstar » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:02 pm

maybe i can distract u with some stupid shit

broodstar

Postby broodstar » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:03 pm

oh man have u hearad of this sick canonical ff7 in-universe battle royale https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_CA&gl=US

broodstar

Postby New Improved Alaska » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:07 pm

I am constantly receiving acclaim and recognition for playing many hours of video games a day it is true

New Improved Alaska

Postby New Improved Alaska » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:08 pm

broodstar wrote:oh man have u hearad of this sick canonical ff7 in-universe battle royale https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_CA&gl=US

Jesus christ

New Improved Alaska

Postby broodstar » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:11 pm

r u downloading add me my gamer tag is ProfessionalGamer64 and we can chug jug shinratown

broodstar

Postby New Improved Alaska » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:54 pm

Slamming mako brand energy drinks and grinding for chocobo

New Improved Alaska

Postby garbiel » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:26 pm

cironup is my new best friend. all my homies love cironup
New Improved Alaska wrote:shut the fuck up

garbiel

Postby New Improved Alaska » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:04 am

I have so many screenshots of that dude

New Improved Alaska

Postby garbiel » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:44 pm

lahmu kicked my fucking ass. had to put together an avengers style team of highly trained demons to defeat him.

garbiel

Postby New Improved Alaska » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:50 pm

Lahmu is freaky deaky

New Improved Alaska

Postby New Improved Alaska » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:51 pm

I like that he's actually just a little dude inside his own eyeball holeToggle Spoiler

New Improved Alaska

Postby garbiel » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:45 pm

lahmu kicked my fucking ass. had to put together an avengers style team of highly trained demons to defeat him.

garbiel

Postby New Improved Alaska » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:48 pm

So I've heard

New Improved Alaska

Postby cooly » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:47 am

i played this game for maybe 35 hours straight on modafinil without eating in a terrible depression / anxiety episode, but damn it's a good game. i'm in the final area (i had already played it for about 20 hours before, and god on that modafinil sometimes you wanna do a lot of side quests and treasure hunting) with only the final boss remaining but i had to stop myself.

haven't read everyone's thoughts yet but:

1. agreed w/ alaska that it's unfortunate when they drop you in a huge open world and tell you that there are 4 bosses that are way higher level than you and basically tell you to deal with that

2. nocturne is my other mainline game, and this game actually made me appreciate it more looking back. i'm glad that i played it first bc i don't think i would have "gotten" this without a frame of reference. nocturne has a bit more charm, personality, and style than this game, imo.

3. sort of a continuation of that point, but the game feels like it assumes that you know what smt is, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage. the amount of customizability you have with the demons and how significant every decision is when you're picking which fusions to make without any hand-holding is kind of a big ask i think, but if you already know the game it means that things are very interesting right from the beginning. but the writing kind of suffers bc the game assumes you understand that it's a game about battling ideologies and doesn't bother to tie that to character or narrative. one of the amazing things about nocturne is watching how your friends, especially chiaki, transform in this new world and how they're shaped by the ideologies that impregnate them. this game basically tells you "hey, you know this is SMT -- we don't do stories, it's about law and chaos fighting, and here's some angels and devils duking it out." the characters are basically not present.

4. exploration feels amazing. i liked the big open spaces and trying to find all the collectibles and seeing where exactly you could jump to and figuring out the paths etc. most of the game inhabits something in between a smt dungeon (the way exploration is a kind of puzzle solving) and a traditional rpg's overworld, and the magic really kicks in with how fucking fun it is to just jump and run as nahobino.

5. i love the way the fusion loop works so that you have a constantly evolving party, but i wish that affinities of what demon you fuse into weren't basically random. i frequently have demons that i want to combine the skill sets of, but then when i look at the resulting demon it would be completely ass, either bc i'd have like a fire proficient mage on some demon that was like -4 fire or because the two demons i want to combine are building str and the result is int. i guess you can use the essence system to get around this to some extent? but i didn't want to do that -- i like my demons being the way that they are.

6. level progression not being tied to skills for nahobino is a mistake imo. leveling up is only exciting because you get to make new demons, which is cool and all, but i feel nothing when the level up screen pops up and i add one point to str.

7. having said all that: i love the mechanics of the game. there's so much depth of strategy. you get to make so many choices, and the choices all feel meaningful. idk, maybe i'm dumb, but i find myself having to actually "think" to play this game rather than just autobattling my way through reading dialogue like i do with e.g. dqxi, and i think all of that is really wonderful. i love how you have to make hard choices about which skills to drop and keep knowing that this demon is going to eventually be fused into another demon and that demon will live with your choice. i love how punishing combat can be. rng is at just the right level for me to feel like "ok, fuck this game" with a smile on my face when i miss the attack right before my healer is going to heal and i die without feeling that the game is "unfair" in any way. i've always felt that i deserved to die when i died.

8. everything in 5 is really silky smooth and polished, and it's very pretty (tho i do wish there were more variety to the environments, too many samey areas). demon design is top notch, love how every single demon looks.

9. though the story and characters are lacking, the writing is still pretty quality as far as talking with demons goes. side quests are fun just bc you get to see jack frost's reaction to you doing some dumb thing, or whatever. all the demons are interesting and likable.

basically the mechanics are so strong and engaging and interesting that i couldn't give a fuck about any of the problems i named and would give it a 9/10 on the strength of the mechanics (i used to think nocturne was a 9, but now i know that nocturne is a 10 bc this is a 9)
Last edited by cooly on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby cooly » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:48 am

if you read all that, i'm sorry, and thank you. i don't think i'm good at writing about art or games or whatever and it's always interesting to hear what you all think so i thought i would chip in, gonna click around this thread a bit now and read your takes.

cooly

Postby cooly » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:08 am

garbiel wrote:I appreciate not having random encounters but I do like them conceptually especially back in the day when games were harder.

"How do we make sure the player will be at the appropriate level here?"
"Just toss some dudes at em over and over it should be fine"

yeah, you don't have the same risk-reward tension exploring as you did with nocturne. in nocturne i was always concerned e.g. exploring the labyrinth of amala and not knowing how close i am to finding a shortcut and if i should turn back and heal or if i can make it. i don't think i've ever died because i was stranded somewhere in a bad situation or even worried about that in 5. you can usually just run around enemies if you're in a bad situation.

random encounters wouldn't have worked in 5 because they wanted the game to feel like BoTW where you're running around and looking under every rock and seeing what's behind every boulder or what's just past the mountain, and you can't explore as freely with random encounters (unless they made those items that make encounters less frequent super abundant, but that would be clunky)

cooly

Postby broodstar » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:18 am

i didn't read that but im happy for u or sorry that happened

broodstar

Postby broodstar » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:18 am

random encounters may add tension to continuously exploring but i'm also pretty over them forever

broodstar

Postby cooly » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:31 am

oh the other thing i wanted to complain about is the minimap. it needs to be bigger and more detailed imo, and the map you pull up with + should do a better job at helping you find paths / distinguishing heights / showing which areas are traversable. it's annoying as hell trying to figure out how to get to the top of a building or the path from high point A to high point B without getting trapped in the valley between (or even to know if you're supposed to come from A to get to B rather than coming from C)

cooly

Postby cooly » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:23 pm

i've never had so many complaints about a game i love this much, weird feeling

cooly

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone