November Basho 2021

Let's talk hats

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:07 pm

baleen wrote:pretty fun matches in day 5

lol'd at this

Terutsiyoshi/Aoyama was a good match, both riskishi totally gassed at the end. followed by Tobi just hopping out of the way for the win. good technique from Waka against Mitakeumi. nice finale with Teru/Takanosho.

Yeah agree with all that :)

gotta hand it to gold belt guy for continuing to show up after the past couple days getting carried around like a baby looool
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby soup » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:18 pm

Loving this Basho so far

soup

Postby baleen » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:04 pm

ein kleiner guggermeister wrote:gotta hand it to gold belt guy for continuing to show up after the past couple days getting carried around like a baby looool

that's Ishiura and now i'm looking forward to the rest of his matches this basho to see what hilarious ways he gets disposed of
The answer is simple: artisanship.

baleen

Postby baleen » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:28 am

another fun day with ishiura is on the better side of the wipeout image

tobi stampeding terutsiyoshi and himself out of the stadium got a chuckle from me

ura also making my kinda lol highlight reel

impressive throw of ichinojo by kiribayama.

baleen

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:31 pm

Looks like Abi is well on his way to getting a chance at a gold star. My fingers are crossed for him. He's so gangly.
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby guy forget » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:41 pm

Damn dude took a spill
YES JACK, YES!!!!!!!

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:42 pm

Really good slap work in the initial seconds there
YES JACK, YES!!!!!!!

guy forget

Postby baleen » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:27 pm

yeah more good matches.

Chiyonokuni in beast mode on Shohozan. Abi finally loses. Chiyoshoma with a solid throw of Aoyama.

I'm still unsure what Ura is doing off the tachiai, it just didn't work against Endo and I just dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - I've enjoyed his fighting in the last basho and this one but huh?

personally disappointed by Daiesho/Takanosho being like, not much at all. Ichinojo with over 150lbs on Waka just bops him out of the dohyo.

Mitakeumi with the black eye still fighting well.

baleen

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:32 pm

baleen wrote:yeah more good matches.

Chiyonokuni in beast mode on Shohozan.
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby hocuscrocus » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:07 pm

baleen wrote:Ichinojo with over 150lbs on Waka just bops him out of the dohyo.

Watched this and thought wakatakakage should be investigated for match fixing.

You’re a smaller guy that wins based on agility and technique. You’re up against the heaviest guy in the whole division, and you go straight at him? No angles, nothing.

hocuscrocus

Postby guy forget » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:47 pm

ein kleiner guggermeister wrote:
baleen wrote:yeah more good matches.

Chiyonokuni in beast mode on Shohozan.

Fuck yeah
YES JACK, YES!!!!!!!

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:47 pm

Sumo rules
YES JACK, YES!!!!!!!

guy forget

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:08 am

pretty awful sumo today.

Tobizaru's kick was like the one interesting thing to happen

I feel like wakatakakage was advised to do more straight forward back to the basics sumo because his success was based on a few gimmicks that people would figure out, but being reactive clearly isn't working for him
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby baleen » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:23 pm

kadoban gugger wrote:pretty awful sumo today.

Tobizaru's kick was like the one interesting thing to happen

I feel like wakatakakage was advised to do more straight forward back to the basics sumo because his success was based on a few gimmicks that people would figure out, but being reactive clearly isn't working for him

I liked Ura's rather elegant dodge/throw off the tachiai but other than Tobi's solid kick idk what folks were doing out there on day 8. Waka definitely seems a little lost this basho. Takanosho had him on defense the whole match and Waka didn't seem to have an idea.

baleen

Postby baleen » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:29 pm

Takakeisho landed a solid slap and tried Tobi's kick on Ichinojo but wow Ichinojo just dumped my guy off the dohyo there but the gyoji's call got reversed (Ichinojo steps out of the ring before Takakeisho lands?). hardest Takakeisho's worked this whole basho.

baleen

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:02 am

Even though he lost this time, hoshoryu's the only rikishi without a monster size body who can absorb takakeisho's initial charge, and that's keisho's only game. I feel confident he's gonna learn how to get better angles and grips and start chucking the guy around at the edge more regularly.
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby baleen » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:14 pm

kadoban gugger wrote:

Even though he lost this time, hoshoryu's the only rikishi without a monster size body who can absorb takakeisho's initial charge, and that's keisho's only game. I feel confident he's gonna learn how to get better angles and grips and start chucking the guy around at the edge more regularly.

def a highlight match from today . Horshoryu fought really well there, he needed like one better angle/grip to get Takakeisho off balance but Takakeisho's whole fight is that strong as hell charge that's stays balanced (until he charges right off the dohyo, again). I've liked Horshoryo a lot so hopefully he can figure this out. he made Takakeisho try some things (that heavy slap from the left that almost spins Hoshoryo around and out). Takakeisho has just been brutally accurate this basho.

fun matches to start day 9,throw by Akua, tug of war w Tochinoshin/Shohozan, Yutakayama launching Sadanoumi off the dohyo.

Chiyonokuni just slapping Terutsiyoshi around. Abi is cruising through rikishi tho he kinda got handed this one today. I liked Ura's win on Aoyama tho it looked like he almost lost an arm. Waka walking out there without much rn. Mitakeumi looking great (4th? match with an attempted leg sweep today)

baleen

Postby garbiel » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:30 pm

been some weird calls the last couple of days with the judges. Tochinoshin clearly stepped outside the ring on day 9 and with the hair pull day 8. Gyoji missing stuff.
New Improved Alaska wrote:shut the fuck up

garbiel

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:14 pm

Yeah

I still don't know why I like watching kotonowaka loseToggle Spoiler
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:14 pm

Someone on the sumo fourm posted this old match with harumafuji as being the reason why they no longer stop matches to review the tapes if they aren't sure that a foot went out of the ring or a hair pull happened. The announcers are pretty surprised at how the whole thing plays out.

The hair pull from a couple days ago I spotted as it happened so I wasn't too surprised when they called that one...but apparently with the other there is an angle that clearly shows tochinoshin's foot really did touch down yesterday.
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby baleen » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:13 pm

yeah that was super satisfying win from Ura.

Ishiura did not like Shohozan's slap game at all.

Abi continuing to crush it out there. Waka takes a pass on grappling and gets an easy win. Mitakeumi just couldn't get in his match.

Takayasu/Shodai was kind of a thriller, Shodai finding a huge rush at Takayasu to get that win. Meisei found a small enough opening against Takakeisho too.

there's a grip of rikishi just crushing this basho tho.

baleen

Postby baleen » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:39 am

phew Abi make quick work of Ura today.

Hoshoryu/Tobi was kinda wild. I feel like Tobi's always having a good time at least.

Teru/Ichinojo was good.

baleen

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:25 am

baleen wrote:Hoshoryu/Tobi was kinda wild. I feel like Tobi's always having a good time at least.

Haha, hosho gave him the stink eye and then tobi got back up with a smile and stuck his tongue out. What a dorb.
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby baleen » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:20 pm

some slack matches in day 12.

what the actual fuck did Ishiura think he was doing.

Tobi got an effective win at least. Ura was pretty slick too. Abi still wrecking rikishi.

Waka manages a pretty trad win while bleeding profusely from the nose,

starts ~17:00

Takakeisho landed a brutal, audible slap on Takayasu.

baleen

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:54 pm

Do you think that's the nail in the coffin for tochinoshin? Down to juryo now?
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby baleen » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:00 pm

small business guggers wrote:Do you think that's the nail in the coffin for tochinoshin? Down to juryo now?

he fought like a wet trash bag today but he's hurt, right? I thought he skipped the first 3 matches with a back injury? Takayasu has recovered well from whatever ouch he got at the last basho, I've enjoyed his matches a lot here. I think it's possible Tochinoshin could get bumped down but other rikishi in Makuuchi have worse records this basho.

baleen

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:04 pm

Aboiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby Rudolfo Baronovski » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:08 pm

I'm so excited
❤️ 1 😆 1.2k 🤪 3.7M

Rudolfo Baronovski
Site Admin

Postby baleen » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:24 pm

tbh I liked Ishiura's smart tachiai against Kaisei. Tochinoshin looked stiff but managed a strong slap game win. Waka looked real good going straight into Hoshoryu.

great win by Ura against Ichinojo, even better from Abi. no one looked that good against Takakeisho.

baleen

Previous

Return to The Hat Zone