BBC: Arcade Fire's new album is 'better than Ok Computer'

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby nvrmind » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:46 pm

sprawl II is such a great song...I've had it on repeat since I downloaded the album. definitely in contention for song of the year so far.
nvrmind
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 pm
Location: $$

Postby speakers » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:22 pm

nvrmindtherain wrote:sprawl II is such a great song...I've had it on repeat since I downloaded the album. definitely in contention for song of the year so far.


Image
User avatar

speakers
 
Posts: 18988
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:24 pm

Postby Ddiamondd » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:24 pm

lol
Last edited by Ddiamondd on Sat May 01, 2021 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Ddiamondd
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Postby agnes » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:57 am

I don't understand all the hate for this album. Do any of you even live in the suburbs?
User avatar
agnes
 

Postby FidelityCastro » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:07 am

speakers wrote:
nvrmindtherain wrote:sprawl II is such a great song...I've had it on repeat since I downloaded the album. definitely in contention for song of the year so far.


Image



haha, somehow I agree with both of you
User avatar

FidelityCastro
 
Posts: 9325
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Postby agnes » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:10 am

I just want to make this clear. "No Cars Go" is about skateboarding, right?
User avatar
agnes
 

Postby internethandle » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:40 am

i could not get through this the other night, shit was embarrassing to listen to

will give another go though so i don't have a KNEE JERK REACTION
User avatar

internethandle
ok
 
Posts: 20602
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:15 pm
Location: Buffy moogoo bafoom!!! No.

Postby Grand Epic » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:41 am

http://stillsearching.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/arcade-fire-the-suburbs/

The Arcade Fire’s new album, The Suburbs, is their Joshua Tree. They are the hipster U2.


Arcade Fire knows they are something of an iconic voice for the hipster culture, and with this album they take on that culture (including themselves in it, to be sure) with refreshing honesty. “Rococo” critiques hipsters who go around uttering words like “rococo” just to sound cool


An album of our times? Yes. One that will resonate in our stadiums in ten years when we are parents and professionals, unsure of what the kids are listening to? Probably. One that will outlive the fads, ephemera, and strip mall superhighways of tomorrow’s industry? Maybe. But I have my doubts. I have my doubts about it.
User avatar

Grand Epic
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:16 pm
Location: Villamereal

Postby saranclaps » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:53 am

agnes wrote:I don't understand all the hate for this album. Do any of you even live in the suburbs?
Yes, and that just makes the thematic and musical superficiality more apparent.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
User avatar

saranclaps
 
Posts: 24059
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: vasing for interludes

Postby gold and glass » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:57 am

I'm not sure why you guys dislike this so much. It's clearly the greatest album of all time.
fuck you and your corporation
User avatar

gold and glass
ok
 
Posts: 21871
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: york, pa

Postby grass tacks » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:30 am

if funeral came out today it would probably sound like this. it's really good (minus a few tracks), but also really hard to get excited about

city with no children and half light II sound like the same song, and they're both not very good
grass tacks
 
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Postby crystal.migraine » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:43 am

can't understand all the people who go nuts over sprawl II. such an annoying song.
User avatar

crystal.migraine
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:05 pm
Location: Berlin

Postby Arturo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:00 pm

Getting some Coldplay-vibes from this.

Not a bad album by any means but it's not hugely interesting and nothings standing out for me on first listen.

Still always gonna love Funeral but wonder how much I'd like it if it came out now rather than when I was 15
User avatar

Arturo
 
Posts: 3339
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:39 pm
Location: Manchester

Postby agnes » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:17 pm

saranclaps wrote:
agnes wrote:I don't understand all the hate for this album. Do any of you even live in the suburbs?
Yes, and that just makes the thematic and musical superficiality more apparent.


I just don't think you understand how real shit can get here.
User avatar
agnes
 

Postby sordid affair » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:19 pm

i'll be surprised if this isn't adapted into a stage musical by 2015
andrei wrote: i heard james joyce is tough, this is probably like the james joyce of rap, ostensibly, if you wanna think of it in those terms. haha, and it bumps, too!
User avatar

sordid affair
chair in applied liberty
 
Posts: 21501
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:15 pm
Location: the other side of mt. heart attack (in tiny pants, baking)

Postby delorean » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:51 pm

if it can happen with American Idiot, anything is possible
User avatar

delorean
 
Posts: 3763
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am
Location: around town

Postby sultanpepper » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:47 pm

is everybody else getting two or three status updates a day in their facebook feed that just say "ROCOCO"

mind you i have no hipster friends so this is surprising me
User avatar

sultanpepper
 
Posts: 2870
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:01 am

Postby Shake Some Action » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:48 pm

agnes wrote:
saranclaps wrote:
agnes wrote:I don't understand all the hate for this album. Do any of you even live in the suburbs?
Yes, and that just makes the thematic and musical superficiality more apparent.


I just don't think you understand how real shit can get here.


what does this meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean
User avatar
Shake Some Action
 

Postby gold and glass » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:52 pm

sultanpepper wrote:is everybody else getting two or three status updates a day in their facebook feed that just say "ROCOCO"

mind you i have no hipster friends so this is surprising me


I definitely had one today

Edit: I need it to be clear that I mean I had one in my news feed. I did not have this shitty status.
Last edited by gold and glass on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuck you and your corporation
User avatar

gold and glass
ok
 
Posts: 21871
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: york, pa

Postby 7spelledout » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 pm

gold and glass wrote:
sultanpepper wrote:is everybody else getting two or three status updates a day in their facebook feed that just say "ROCOCO"

mind you i have no hipster friends so this is surprising me


I definitely had one today


Kinda transcending hipster bullshit to being $7.99 on the rack at target this week.
I PUSH MIRACLE WHIPS wrote:there are a lot of hipinion boarders missing a testicle.
User avatar

7spelledout
 
Posts: 6016
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Seeya!

Postby delorean » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:23 pm

so whats Pitchfork gonna give this you guys

place yr bets
User avatar

delorean
 
Posts: 3763
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am
Location: around town

Postby cubistcastle » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:26 pm

9.3
User avatar

cubistcastle
 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Postby delorean » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:28 pm

what if they gave it a 10
User avatar

delorean
 
Posts: 3763
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am
Location: around town

Postby loaf angel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:29 pm

10.0 don't they need to put one of those out sooner or later?
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
User avatar

loaf angel
 
Posts: 47228
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: Jerklyn

Postby loaf angel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:29 pm

delorean,
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
User avatar

loaf angel
 
Posts: 47228
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: Jerklyn

Postby delorean » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:37 pm

babes, explain ur reasoning
User avatar

delorean
 
Posts: 3763
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am
Location: around town

Postby cubistcastle » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:38 pm

They only give 10's to reissues now
User avatar

cubistcastle
 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Postby Earthlight » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Win has also described the sound of The Suburbs as "a mix of Depeche Mode and Neil Young."[5] There will be eight alternative covers for the CD version of the album.[6].


I love both of those artists and still have no desire to listen to a band called Arcade Fire.
User avatar
Earthlight
 

Postby delorean » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:44 pm

i could see Neil listening to arcade fire
User avatar

delorean
 
Posts: 3763
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am
Location: around town

Postby cubistcastle » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Earthlight wrote:
Win has also described the sound of The Suburbs as "a mix of Depeche Mode and Neil Young."[5] There will be eight alternative covers for the CD version of the album.[6].


I love both of those artists and still have no desire to listen to a band called Arcade Fire.


yuck yuck yuck what a dumb name haha arcade fire is 4 pussies
User avatar

cubistcastle
 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 8:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1v1 x gvgger, 31GeeWhizz, A-Ok, adam sampler, Althea, anephric, apostrophe, Average J, barbara_h, brent, buriedinspace, carrion, Catullus, cheezborg91, chewy, dadrocksampler, Daft Pun, darger, dark budlite supernova, davideotape, Dennis Moore, dogfight giggle, Double McDouble, doublethink0, draw, elucidatory death image, Executive Producer, Eyeball Kid, Feech La Manna, fosse, FourLegsGood, frog bongino, garbiel, Ghost of Spartacus, goldsoundz, Google [Bot], Gourmetbe, grass tacks, grayfox, griffith scannell, hadlex, hells bells, hideout, i am rich, Intervalo, jalapeño ranch, jewels, Julius Sumner Miller, Kevin McCallister, lights, lil bro, loaf angel, lodger, lordofdiapers, Lucky, Man From Laramie, manierisme, mcwop23, Merciel, Milquetoaster Strudels, mondrary, mynamerocks, New Improved Alaska, No Good Advice, normal forest, nosebleeds, npc, odilon redon, Poptone, potentialgetawaydriver, pretty yeoman, provm, quinine, Rainbow Battle Kid, rankoutsider, Recent Digest, Render, rich uncle skeleton, Robert, SabreFancS, Science, shirts optional, Shotfrog, sliiimer, sympathy, That Demon Life, tomspanx, tsargaritaville, unbiaseddairylodge, velvet anus, virtuous, warmjets, winjer, xxx-xxx-xxxx and 146 guests