My ranking of the worst bands of the 90s

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Viz » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:08 pm

A band which I hated back then but now somehow love is Matchbox 20.
Viz

Postby joe » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:12 pm

"one man army" by our lady peace got a lot of radio play. But i lived in a state that borders canada so maybe that doesn't count

joe

Postby swan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:24 pm

Viz wrote:The Tea Party

Worst Canadian 90s band
swan

Postby KPH » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:28 pm

Jeremy wrote:This thing where multiple American boarders were aware of OLP is really perplexing.

They (and Matthew Good Band) got a real push on mtv for a minute there. Them, Tonic, Verve Pipe, etc all kinda run together in my memory.

Viz wrote:And conversely, is Citizen King an American thing, cause this Canadian has no idea who they are.

First I’ve heard of em

KPH

Postby Bjornie » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:32 pm

lordofdiapers wrote:Super Mans Dead was a big radio hit here. Only song I can name.

Yeah this is the one

Bjornie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby pale folklore » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:40 pm

Jeremy wrote:This thing where multiple American boarders were aware of OLP is really perplexing.

starseed, superman's dead and clumsy were pretty big altrock radio jams stateside

somewhere out there was an actual Hit? that was a top 10 record i think

pale folklore

Postby Jeremy » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:41 pm

sniplets wrote:I was also really into Econoline Crush.

This is even crazier.

Jeremy

Postby Man From Laramie » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:12 pm

I knew OLP cause one of their tracks was used for Chris Benoits entrance music :?

Man From Laramie

Postby Grumby » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:19 pm

someone else here posted about it as well but olp was super big on upstate ny alternative radio when i was growing up. probably because the of the canadian ---> buffalo border

Grumby

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:22 pm

lordofdiapers wrote:Super Mans Dead was a big radio hit here. Only song I can name.

i remember a friend in high school recommending me this band because the lead singer "sounded like billy corgan"
Award winning author of threads about Ziggy using Preparation H™ as toothpaste, and Jay Leno being burned alive in his car

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby alaska » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:22 pm

Our lady piss
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:30 pm

i only read the first page so far but my impulsive takes are

saranclaps wrote:Goo Goo Dolls 90s output is generally like serviceable power pop

this is 100% correct. they were never amazing but up through a boy named goo they're mostly a totally fine replacements ripoff. even dizzy up the girl has a few okay songs outside of the obnoxious singles.

barenaked ladies are a weird band to be on a list like this, imo. they're not good but they seem totally inoffensive outside of "one week" being so terrible.

i refuse to believe that you or anyone else has heard more than 2 sister hazel songs.

the offspring were one of my first favorite bands when i was like 10 years old and i have lots of nostalgic affection for them. i think you could do a 15 track playlist of offspring songs that are legit good but, overall, yeah they're embarrassingly terrible.

light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:33 pm

i've posted this on the board dozens of times, probably, but i still feel obliged to post this any time that the offspring is mentioned:

light rail coyote wrote:i was very into the offspring as a 12 year old and even posted on the offspring message board until like 16. but that is with the caveat that 90% of the people who posted there hated them by that point and it was mostly just an off topic board.

i've told this story before but it's one of my favorite experiences with the internet: when the mister hands thing happened, someone made a thread called "man gets fucked to death by a horse" that somehow ended up on the first page of msn, yahoo, and all of the then-contemporary search engines for "man gets fucked to death by horse" and the band's management had to step in and delete it. like you'd log into the board and there would be like 300 guests all looking at that thread.

the moderators there were actual paid members of the band's PR team and they had to make a thread that was like "please, for the love of god, we have to stop this the band is mad at us and all of you"
Last edited by light rail coyote on Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

light rail coyote

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:33 pm

offspring were cool until they became a parody band
Award winning author of threads about Ziggy using Preparation H™ as toothpaste, and Jay Leno being burned alive in his car

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby joe » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:40 pm

Viz wrote:And conversely, is Citizen King an American thing, cause this Canadian has no idea who they are.

unitedstatesian with no idea who they are

joe

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:42 pm

citizen king did the "i've seen better days" song that was in the first and last episodes of malcolm in the middle

light rail coyote

Postby joe » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:43 pm

okay then nevermind i know who they are

joe

Postby 3D Dog Avatar Guy » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:43 pm

malcolm in the middle rocked
Status: Bounced. Will return after playing TAIL CONCERTO for the PSX.

Stinky wrote:this shit is unreal. A classic moment in indie rock history.

3D Dog Avatar Guy

Postby joe » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:43 pm

they were the band that got fucked by horse

joe

Postby 3D Dog Avatar Guy » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:45 pm

they had a they might be giants song as a theme song. surprised no one said them because I can see their brand of nerd rock being hateable to some but it's more tolerable than anything BNL was doing.
Status: Bounced. Will return after playing TAIL CONCERTO for the PSX.

Stinky wrote:this shit is unreal. A classic moment in indie rock history.

3D Dog Avatar Guy

Postby internethandle » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:49 pm

Kenneth wrote:
hologram wrote:Wait what’s wrong with Sublime

If Saranclaps wasn't in Los Angeles I'd say it was Southern California prejudice tbh...

I grew up/live in Long Beach and hate them so: no

internethandle
ok

Postby Littlelulusfanclub » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:53 pm

Grumby wrote:i might be the only one on this board who has listened to the citizen king album lol don't ask me why. i think i read an rym review where someone said, "yeah.. it sounds like beck!" and thought i'd give it a shot

terrible stuff

though one of the members (dave cooley) went on to work with j dilla a bunch and mixed all of his famous records. so there's that

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-knife-in-collaboration-with-mt-sims-and-planningtorock/tomorrow-in-a-year/

Apparently the frontman (mt sims) is part of
whatever this “the knife” album is. Time for a reappraisal

Littlelulusfanclub

Postby internethandle » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:55 pm

I think for me it’s more the kind of thing they spawned than the Bradley era. I can get into a few tunes when they’re inevitably playing somewhere on kroq, I guess

Like there’s a vaguely linear line from sublime to rebelution for so cal quick hit bros across the nation

internethandle
ok

Postby Grumby » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:59 pm

Littlelulusfanclub wrote:
Grumby wrote:i might be the only one on this board who has listened to the citizen king album lol don't ask me why. i think i read an rym review where someone said, "yeah.. it sounds like beck!" and thought i'd give it a shot

terrible stuff

though one of the members (dave cooley) went on to work with j dilla a bunch and mixed all of his famous records. so there's that

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-knife-in-collaboration-with-mt-sims-and-planningtorock/tomorrow-in-a-year/

Apparently the frontman (mt sims) is part of
whatever this “the knife” album is. Time for a reappraisal

interesting. maybe one of those things where the band was formed young and they were all embarrassed by it later on. there isn't much information on them

Grumby

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:06 pm

hazel wrote:everclear is awesome

I don’t remember, did that dude have a good relationship with his father?
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby brent » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:15 pm

Jeremy wrote:Does Candlebox belong in this conversation. I've never heard them but they seem to be a popular 90s punchline.

without them we'd never have one of my favorite scenes from any tv show ever

brent

Postby seriesfinale » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:25 pm

One of the very few movies I’ve ever turned off in the first ten minutes featured the lead singer dude from OLP jerking off in the first ten minutes.

seriesfinale

Postby pale folklore » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:33 pm

you saw the our lady penis, eh

pale folklore

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 pm

seriesfinale wrote:One of the very few movies I’ve ever turned off in the first ten minutes featured the lead singer dude from OLP jerking off in the first ten minutes.

Brendan Fraser’s got a great voice tho
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 pm

3D Dog Avatar Guy wrote:they had a they might be giants song as a theme song. surprised no one said them because I can see their brand of nerd rock being hateable to some but it's more tolerable than anything BNL was doing.

missed this but TMBG fuckin rules

Bisexual Lightning

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley