coffee thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby The Priest » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Kona is interesting because to legally call it Kona blend it can have as little as 10% Kona beanz

Anyway I just did a cup and it's good but def not worth the price
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby Big Oil » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:
incoherent grunting wrote:Isn't pour over a bit of a douchy faff? I mean, how particular do you have to be about water temp and pouring style? A cup of javz shouldn't be a fucking science experiment.

honestly imo all you need to do for pour over is pour a little through the filter to wet the beans and warm the mug, dump that out, pour

I think it's like any category of consumption that people have recently plowed endless money and attention into -- it lends itself to weird obsessive tastemaking rules

Big Oil

Postby galactagogue » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:29 pm

mercenaries of slime wrote:can anyone recommend any good ground coffee for one of these

percolaters like this deserve s american espresso pre ground. la llave, bustelo etc. if you too dark w yr roast i think it tastes off
Da Bing Boy wrote:future of work is going to be hilarious, actually

galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:Isn't pour over a bit of a douchy faff? I mean, how particular do you have to be about water temp and pouring style? A cup of javz shouldn't be a fucking science experiment.

you boil you let it sit for a bit before you pour. exact temp re:extraction and all isn’t necessary for a solid cup. you could easily geek out about it tho and i think thaf versatility is appealing. biggest thing is ratio of grounds to water, but that’s true of literally any method

galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 pm

In other words you douche to taste

galactagogue

Postby woozy ducks » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 pm

galactagogue wrote:In other words you douche to taste

patience or quick pour
gooseneck or not

woozy ducks

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:36 am

I bought some goodass beans today and an hour later my friend came over bearing some sickass beans as a gift!! What a wonderful coffee day!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby fury » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:40 am

I just do peets into a 4 year old mr coffee drip these days. Are there hipster drip machines

fury
ok

Postby Architecture » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:45 am

The $40 espresso maker my Dad got me two years ago is still humming along, just had my morning coffee and it was great as ever
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby The Priest » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:17 am

dvr wrote:
galactagogue wrote:In other words you douche to taste

patience or quick pour
gooseneck or not

It's honestly hard to do without the gooseneck

I don't find it as douchy as the crazy ass drip contraptions and no more so than French press / chemex / aeropress

The Priest

Postby texas » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:24 am

I've been using a cheap electric steam espresso machine for years that I got from my dad. It has the tamp and everything, I just fill the water and grounds to max and use it to make a single mug of coffee instead of the 2-3 shots of "espresso" that it's supposed to be. It's like a slightly more advanced electric drip maker, quick clean up too

texas

Postby chowder julius » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:27 am

all i drink lately is cold brew using one of those Japanese pots. beans are whatever's on sale because everything comes out smooth with that thing. not a big fan of hot coffee i've realized

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby tea preacher » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:30 am

Got a manual burr grinder for Christmas and have been experimenting with that plus French press or my basic run of the mill drip maker. I am amazed at the flavor profile of fresh ground coffee opposed to my usual over roasted Starbucks in a paper cup morning routine.

tea preacher

Postby chowder julius » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:31 am

i got really into espresso in europe since it's impossible to find coffee as we know it there. had the best little nutty and sweet cup of espresso from some absolute shithole corner store in budapest. came from some kind of nespresso type machine so i've been thinking about getting something inexpensive but solid and with a small footprint to keep around for espresso purposes

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:31 am

Our friend who is working on her PhD in Indonesia came to visit us and she brought us this coffee called Kopi Luwak which is the beans have been collected after being eaten and pooped out by an Indonesia ferret-type animal. I guess she spent some time finding an "ethical" version because it's become an intensive farming situation in most places :(

We've been looking for the cool opportunity to drink it
Last edited by Kenny on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 am

Yeah the civet coffee; it's always pretty expensive here and I hardly ever see it as an option when buying beans. I would say drink that ASAP and enjoy it while it's fresh because it's not something you're gonna get easily and coffee goes stale relatively fast.
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.

Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby pink snake » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:47 am

Kenny wrote:Our friend who is working on her PhD in Indonesia came to visit us and she brought us this coffee called Kopi Luwak which is the beans have been collected after being eaten and pooped out by an Indonesia ferret-type animal. I guess she spent some time finding an "ethical" version because it's become an intensive farming situation in most places :(

We've been looking for the cool opportunity to drink it

i remember dave barry writing about that stuff like 2 decades ago.

pink snake

Postby The Priest » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:12 am

I thought civet coffee was well known to be nonsense explicitly intended for rubes and tourists

The Priest

Postby The Priest » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:12 am

Also the elephant variety

The Priest

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:14 am

Currently smashing a delicious french press
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby galactagogue » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:26 am

tea preacher wrote:Got a manual burr grinder for Christmas and have been experimenting with that plus French press or my basic run of the mill drip maker. I am amazed at the flavor profile of fresh ground coffee opposed to my usual over roasted Starbucks in a paper cup morning routine.

this is the big thing. unless you're willing to do the things that actually make a difference (ie: not letting your coffee expire, storing it properly and freshly grinding what you need each time) each method is not thaaat different. beans lose flavor and all the techniques become meaningless. cold brew maybe is the main one where even with all the freshest standards, i personally think it kinda tastes skunky by nature, but that's what people seem to like about it.

galactagogue

Postby Architecture » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:34 am

I grind my beans at the market because I'm not ready to invest in a grinder. The coffee definitely is better the first couple of days, but It's only taking me two weeks to go through a pound. I guess I could go to the store once a week and just get a half pound, but I'm lazy.
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby viachicago » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:41 am

The motor on my expensive metal Infinity grinder gave out and it's quite frustrating. I guess I have used it daily for like 5 years, but still would have expected more durability
viachicago

Postby Bartatua » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:45 am

i wasnt into coffee wjen this thread got made but now i am
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:08 am

Classic Dog Avatar wrote:I thought civet coffee was well known to be nonsense explicitly intended for rubes and tourists

I think the process is a real thing but I don't know if it's actually proven to improve the coffee? But I feel like it's definitely worth trying it while fresh if you've got a free bag. Mostly I see it sold in upscale department store food halls here in tiny packs.
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.

Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:20 am

My mom came over last year and like kept going on about how she needed a nutribullet for her diet to the extent that she bought one and left it with us....anyway it also works as a dope coffee grinder!

And yeah that civet stuff may be for rubes but I'd never heard of it and it was a gift so.

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby warmjets » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:24 am

nutribullet coffee grinder, what in the world

warmjets

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Look it up breh

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby mercenaries of slime » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:27 pm

galactagogue wrote:
mercenaries of slime wrote:can anyone recommend any good ground coffee for one of these

percolaters like this deserve s american espresso pre ground. la llave, bustelo etc. if you too dark w yr roast i think it tastes off

ty <3

mercenaries of slime

Postby mercenaries of slime » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:32 pm

i started getting these beans sent to me bc they offered me the first bag p much for free

the house blend is dirt cheap and good!!

mercenaries of slime

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley