Pro Wrestling: the thread

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby 58769 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:48 pm

Samoa Joe relinquishes NXT championship due to WWE saying he has an injury, which is certainly interesting. One of the strangest things was Joe being shitcanned, then being recruited to NXT at the same time as it was becoming clear that Vince and co weren't happy with NXT, and then Joe becoming champion, albeit a likely transitional champion. The fact this isn't even happening on NXT TV...

Postby smelts » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:04 pm

buriedinspace wrote:Dave on WOR was also strong on doing Omega vs Bryan and Punk before Hangman and... there's a range of disagreements on that

I do think you do Bryan/Omega at Full Gear but I'd probably have Hangman/Omega at Revolution, with the Hangman win.

If Page wins the title he can defend against: Omega, Cole, Punk, Bryan, Miro, Black, Cody, Mox, MJF, Andrade... if you you get him back to where he was and run him through 3-4 of them in World Title matches, in a red hot promotion, I think he'll be a huge star.

yeah, I wouldn't wanna hold off on the Omega/Page blow off any later than Revolution

Bryan/Omega is red hot now so that's definitely cool, but there's no hurry for Punk to get in there right away, and I think I'd be alot more interested in Page/Punk anyway as a way to turn Punk heel

smelts

Postby nosebleeds » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Omega beating DBry and Punk before Page beats him would be absolute garbage

nosebleeds

Postby walt » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:49 pm

End game will be omega hangman. Aew aint dumb

walt

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:52 am

Big E tweeted that he's cashing in tonight on Twitter. Obviously it might not happen but they sure are shook by that Dynamite loss, huh?
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

buriedinspace

Postby Amblin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:07 pm

they should turn punk heel by having him cost danielson the belt at full gear, make it some angle where he's pissed that danielson came to aew and stole his (punk's) spotlight

then turn it into a three way blow off for the title on one of the big tv shows like their bash at the beach thing if they do it again or the anniversary show, let omega retain then start the hangman thing leading up to double or nothing and let hangman win there

let punk feud with sammy in the meantime, and maybe you do danielson and mjf

Amblin

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:15 pm

This is basically evergreen for anything to do with WWE these days

buriedinspace

Postby walt » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:13 pm

I dont follow wwe at all anymore but am totally fascinated by it. Can someone explain why the money in the bank cash in is a dumb move (i totally assume it is but just want some context).

walt

Postby walt » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:14 pm

buriedinspace wrote:Big E tweeted that he's cashing in tonight on Twitter. Obviously it might not happen but they sure are shook by that Dynamite loss, huh?

Is it just this?

walt

Postby Pris » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:16 pm

Amblin wrote:they should turn punk heel by having him cost danielson the belt at full gear, make it some angle where he's pissed that danielson came to aew and stole his (punk's) spotlight

I think this could happen. Not sure if Punk's doing it on purpose, but he already seems like kind of a dick who's just trying to play nice. Punk as a heel always makes sense. Maybe he could align with Black.

WWE and NJWP have just dropped off the map for me. I tried to skim through Summerslam, but I didn't give a shit about any of it. And the G1 looks dead. If it wasn't for AEW, I'd just be watching old stuff all the time.

Pris

Postby surly » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:43 pm

walt wrote:I dont follow wwe at all anymore but am totally fascinated by it. Can someone explain why the money in the bank cash in is a dumb move (i totally assume it is but just want some context).

generally, the entire appeal of the money in the bank cash in is that it could happen at any time and is a big surprise. announcing it ahead of time kind of defeats the purpose
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:56 pm

And yeah, it's absolutely a hot shot move.

Last week's show had almost half of the show or more devoted to a gauntlet to crown #1 contenders for the tag title this week and also a segment setting up Orton/Lashley for the PPV.

This weekend, they moved Orton/Lashley up to tonight, cancelled the match they spent all of last week making and I'm guessing the needle didn't feel like it was moving, so now we're getting this too.

They obviously don't want to lose 2 weeks in a row but a) this is basically hot shotting a PPV Title match and a major angle that clearly they weren't doing as of last week and b) what happens next week? And at the PPV? Even if this is to counter AEW, the Arthur Ashe show the week after is going to be built as a super show and WWE isn't leaving many arrows in their quiver, save something more desperate like announcing Roman or some such.

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Twitter seems convinced there's a swerve coming with Big E, perhaps a heel turn by Big E or a New Day member turning on him. If he just goes in and wins, that would be nice but weirdly anticlimactic.

I bet it'll do an okay rating and maybe if they do a big angle people will come back next week too but the hotshotting burns people out (not to mention confuses stories) quick

buriedinspace

Postby smelts » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:27 pm

I was not expecting Big E cashing in on Raw, but seeing as Smackdown is the Roman "Road To Rock" show for the better part of the next year, this would definitely be the best option for him

but yeah, aside from it being a cool moment cause I like Big E, it's like... then what?

at this point outside of popping my head in for the odd interesting moment/disaster and maybe skimming a PPV, I'm not really sure what WWE could do to get me back invested, let alone watching regularly

smelts

Postby Ron » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:07 pm

buriedinspace wrote:Twitter seems convinced there's a swerve coming with Big E, perhaps a heel turn by Big E or a New Day member turning on him. If he just goes in and wins, that would be nice but weirdly anticlimactic.

Big E announcing the cash in and winning does seem like a move toward him turning heel. Him losing after announcing the cash in would be the stupidest thing, so I think that’s what happens.

Ron

Postby cud nylon » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:11 pm

Off work so I can stay up and watch all the live wrestling this week. Got a boot licker front row sign “RAW will win tonight” lol who cares loser. Also they’re calling tomorrow NXT 2.0 isn’t this at least the 4th revision? Can’t wait for LA Knight to lead the new generation.

Edit: I’m already tired, there’s two more hours of this shit?

cud nylon

Postby bobble » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:52 pm

big e time

bobble

Postby cud nylon » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:59 pm

Ok I’m happy I got to see that and not read it in a recap. E deserves it and I’m glad there was some back and forth with lashley’s “injury” so they didn’t cheapen the win with an easy squash.

cud nylon

Postby scurrydog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:04 am

Calling this a hot shot move is super dumb, and has been in the works since at least summer slam.
Goldberg needs his win back from lashley at crown jewel. This allows Goldberg to win without giving him the title.
This also gets the belt off lashley in a way that keeps lashley looking strong.
This also allows WWE to have some more flexibility with roster moves for the upcoming draft.
This was also timed to coincide with the return of Monday night football (the Wwe draft is another move used to create momentum for the 16 or so weeks Monday night football is on).

Also having big e announce his actions on Twitter allows them to promote it and keeps Big E in John Cena-Esque babyface territory.

The only thing remotely hot shot about this is that they may have moved it up from extreme rules.
However, my guess is that this sets up lashley vs big e at extreme rules and they have Goldberg interfere then.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby Shotfrog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:31 am

I love Big E and I'm happy for him. Still hate WWE though!

Shotfrog

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:32 am

Shotfrog wrote:I love Big E and I'm happy for him. Still hate WWE though!

Yep.

Also: Big E was going to win a title, at some point and probably not Roman's, so in that sense it was not a radical change of plans. But it was definitely a hot shot, insofar as they changed their plans for this week and the PPV and I also don't know that Big E was cashing in then either- maybe but it hadn't been strongly hinted at.

Apparently there was a reference on Smackdown to Big E being on Raw that was largely unnoticed or remarked upon, so I wouldn't be surprised if this has been a plan for several days and the announcement on Twitter came late in the process: announce Orton/Lashley, do a big angle, people come back next week turning into get people both weeks. It makes sense and this has given Raw a bit more momentum. But I still can't bring myself to care past Big E being a seemingly good dude.

And either way, it's still a hotshot. If they go with Big E from here: cool but it was a panic button move.

buriedinspace

Postby scurrydog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:52 am

If you think the plan was actually to put the title on Goldberg again, then you’re just a brand mark.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby Ron » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Nobody said they thought they were putting the belt on Goldberg did they?

Ron

Postby scurrydog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:17 pm

Goldberg is coming back for crown jewel so the saudis can have their big name old dude. They won’t have Goldberg lose three matches in a roll. Goldberg in particular would never allow it. The only option is to at least temporarily get the belt off lashley.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:44 pm

I would expect Goldberg to lose again, probably in fuck finish, actually. Now I guess he will probably win, which is mostly worse.

But again, hope Big E gets a good and real reign.

buriedinspace

Postby Bartatua » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:52 pm

I stood eye to eye with goldberg
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby This Guy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:41 pm

Absolute worse thing that I fear is they turn Kofi against Big E

This Guy

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:11 pm

And the hotshot did not work, rating was down by several hundred thousand and the demo down .14

A good Dynamite number (i.e. down a decent amount from last week but still above a million) will have a good shot at 2 straight weeks

buriedinspace

Postby cud nylon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:44 pm

AEW Dark is debuting its new studio location right now. NXT 2.0 has gotta look better than this. Maybe post pandemic they can get an actual crowd in there.

cud nylon

Postby cud nylon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:26 pm

…and tonight’s main event is the wedding.

cud nylon

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone