Pro Wrestling: the thread

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:49 pm

Not having Rick Steiner's kid have Steiner in his name but also making him clearly a Steiner tribute character is some Curtis Axel shit.
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

buriedinspace

Postby scurrydog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:53 pm

buriedinspace wrote:Not having Rick Steiner's kid have Steiner in his name but also making him clearly a Steiner tribute character is some Curtis Axel shit.

Yeah, that’s real dumb.
Will be interesting to see how much nxt actually changes. Putting the title on ciampa seems like a weird move if they wanted to move away from small older indie guys.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby gargamel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:19 am

g1 isn't looking too exciting this year. dunno why they couldn't get jay in. he's just working house shows. at least have him do a big angle on aew or something

gargamel

Postby 58769 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:56 am

think i love this kid

gargamel wrote:g1 isn't looking too exciting this year. dunno why they couldn't get jay in. he's just working house shows. at least have him do a big angle on aew or something

it can be assumed he doesn't want to do quarantine, same with Juice, etc. the bigger issue is that they didn't attempt to use anyone else from other japanese promotions or their indies. I can only assume they wanted to prioritise their contracted workers who would come in (ie GOD, Chase Owens, etc) but man, those guys being in the G1 sucks. also weird that Kojima just is never gonna get a G1 farewell after the big Nagata and Tenzan farewells

Postby a new dad for all » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:57 pm

cool to see pilman gettin a solo push vs mjf

a new dad for all

Postby 58769 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:58 pm

So on the AEW rankings chat a couple of pages back, it seems Bryan/Omega in New York is not for the title, so that gets around the rankings issue.And then Punk is set for Hobbs, who is in the top 5 right now, so it feels like Punk is being rocket strapped to the top of the rankings, either for a title match against Omega or a #1 contenders match against Hangman.

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:03 pm

What a huge show next week. Bigger than the Winter is Coming show. It'll be a disappointment if Dynamite does under 1.2 million and Rampage hour one does under 800k and 1.4 and a million seem plausible. Hour two of Rampage will likely pull the rest of it down, I would guess but it's a cool experiment anyway and maybe if they save Punk for last they'll still have a solid audience for it.

buriedinspace

Postby 58769 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:09 pm

I guess Punk either opens the show or opens hour 2. I could see the Bucks/Cole taking main event duties, particularly if they want Jungle Boy to start doing more stuff on the mic, he can do Henry's main event segment and if it's bad, oh well

Postby smelts » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:52 pm

Next 6 months predictions:

Kenny loses the title (probably to Hangman), Bucks & Cole turn on Kenny, bring in Steen for new dominant faction

Kenny's apparently been hurtin for a while so could write him off for a little bit to heal up and maybe bring him back babyface

but like man, after seeing Cole tonight, that dude is gonna be the biggest guy in the company probably pretty dang soon

smelts

Postby nosebleeds » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:21 am

Hobbs-Punk should have a fuck finish because neither guy should lose clean right now. Maybe some shit to start Punk-Starks.

nosebleeds

Postby Ron » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:20 am

smelts wrote:Kenny's apparently been hurtin for a while so could write him off for a little bit to heal up and maybe bring him back babyface

Absolute pipe dream stuff, but I’d love if a babyface return included a Golden Lovers reunion.

Ron

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:56 am

Ron wrote:
smelts wrote:Kenny's apparently been hurtin for a while so could write him off for a little bit to heal up and maybe bring him back babyface

Absolute pipe dream stuff, but I’d love if a babyface return included a Golden Lovers reunion.

Golden Lovers, Hangman and Cody vs Mount Rushmore (Steen, Cole & The Young Bucks): Blood & Guts II

buriedinspace

Postby walt » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:22 am

Now we’re fantasy booking with gas!!

walt

Postby Bartatua » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:47 am

I'd watch that shit
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:02 pm

Omega vs Danielson going on first, going an hour to the time limit, Omega refuses a restart, 1-2 matches get pushed to Rampage is prob how I'd do next week

buriedinspace

Postby smelts » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:23 pm

crazy that this stuff is not only possible but absolutely the kind of stuff these guys have definitely thought about and will likely work towards in one form or another

I think if the world hadn't been such a shitshow with the pandemic we coulda maybe gotten Omega/Ibushi as a possible end to Kenny's belt collector reign, but all things considered it's been a good ride and I'm glad there's so much still to look forward to

smelts

Postby Ron » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 pm

buriedinspace wrote:
Ron wrote:

Golden Lovers, Hangman and Cody vs Mount Rushmore (Steen, Cole & The Young Bucks): Blood & Guts II

Yes please.

Ron

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 am

The only previous Danielson/Omega match. 90% comedy.

Includes a... kinda shitty Excalibur AIDS in Africa joke (where Chris Hero doubles down and makes a joke about San Francisco, for... I guess, bad measure?), for some reason.

buriedinspace

Postby gambra » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:53 am

The current AEW roster makes me want to fire up an EWR/TEW save with the updated roster and fantasy book the shit out of it. Maybe just EWR tho, TEW was exhausting with how much you have to micro book every segment.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

gambra

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:40 am

I had a several month TEW jag with the newest version, maybe a year ago and while I can't say I was extremely accurate, I definitely had a big build up Hangman title win and Punk, Danielson and Steen all come in.

Did I also sign Brock Lesnar and have Steve Austin return and put Hangman over them until they quit. Yes. Yes, I did. Eventually Roman too. I think I quit when Hangman got like a broken neck and I rolled my eyes and moved on to something else annoyedly.

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:43 am

Oh, and I debuted a hot additional one hour show, with a few big matches and angles too.

Honestly, how things have played out has made me only more aware of how close AEW is to my ideal wrestling company. It very much resembles one I would make up out of thin air and a good portion of the time when they get away from what I'd do, it's for the better, which, not to be arrogant sounding... I think that's the only time I've felt that way as a fan consistently

buriedinspace

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:56 pm

NSFW and one of the most insane videos i've seen. it's crazy how Flair just seems to avoid cancellation left and right
WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby This Guy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:08 pm

Ric Flair living the character of Ric Flair in real life doesn’t surprise people I guess

This Guy

Postby scurrydog » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:09 pm

Why anyone associated with that incident would allow themselves to be interviewed about that in the 2020’s is beyond me.
Why Wwe would use it as a promotional story is also beyond me.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby scurrydog » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm

I will say that the private plane company also escapes scrutiny and that’s terrible. Like you can’t over serve people to that crazy amount and then be surprised that they aren’t in complete control of themselves and are treating your employees terribly. There are laws against that today. Were there not laws like that then?
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby smelts » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:08 pm

Ruby/Britt face off on Rampage was hella fun

smelts

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:06 pm

Was not expecting multiple grudge matches (Sonny vs Joey, QT vs Dustin, Colt/Uno vs 5 & 10) on AEW Elevation, but it turned from it's usual WCW Saturday Night to at least a level up from it.

All 3 matches were pretty fun, with all having a least some storyline stuff (esp the Dark Order stuff)

And yes, I watched Dark Elevation at 9 PM on a Monday. What, is there something else on?

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 pm

Apparently they decided to not just hot shot a relatively big six man but... also a Champion vs Champion vs #1 contender Triple Threat, with Reigns and Big E both wrestling twice on the show?

They really don't wanna lose to Grand Slam but I don't know if they're gonna have a choice

buriedinspace

Postby WAC » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:46 am

He said ALOT of shit last night. And most of it WASN'T how he supported a fascist.

WAC

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:04 am

That sucks.

It's got to screw up the intricate machinations of the G1 booking plus it very much weakens the already weak field.

It seems sad to realize that in spite of everything they pulled a great G1 out in 2020 but that they couldn't do the same in 2021. This year's will end up as the exception, which is understandable but still sad.

All the more reason to, if restrictions are and can be lifted by next year (at this point, a hope and a prayer more than a certainty) really load up: get Danielson, get 1-2 other name wrestlers from AEW, partner with NOAH and DDT to bring in a name or two, debut Takahashi and other top juniors in the tournament, do a Suzuki farewell etc etc. It feels imperative that next year's lineup sparkles. I'd do an official C block in the US for Strong too, where the winner becomes #1 contender to the briefcase and wrestles the winner before WK.

buriedinspace

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone