Pro Wrestling: the thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby 58769 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 am

ahahahahahahahah

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:30 am

What happens when VKM pokes his nose around and starts to micromanage and block Heyman's vision? Be hilarious if this ends in a year with a pissed off Heyman convincing Brock to leave the company with him and do business with AEW. Tell me people wouldn't fuck with Brock vs Kenny.

potentialgetawaydriver

Postby dreamshake » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:37 am

potentialgetawaydriver wrote:What happens when VKM pokes his nose around and starts to micromanage and block Heyman's vision? Be hilarious if this ends in a year with a pissed off Heyman convincing Brock to leave the company with him and do business with AEW. Tell me people wouldn't fuck with Brock vs Kenny.

this happened before right? when heyman ran smackdown and brock left for njpw?
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby Fr. Blanc » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:05 pm

https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/tommy-dreamer-murder-suicide-wrestlemania-paul-heyman/

This is one of the most insane and heartbreaking stories we’ve shared in a long time, so we recommend you read it with caution.

Fr. Blanc

Postby jumper » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:11 pm

jumper

Postby hamilton » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:48 pm

Pretty stoked for this Moxley vs Janela match on Saturday. Those dudes are going to let loose.

hamilton

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:04 pm

hamilton wrote:Pretty stoked for this Moxley vs Janela match on Saturday. Those dudes are going to let loose.

Oh yes, I am in a state of hype for this one! The promo packages they've done have really done the trick. Ready for the preshow. Interested to see how Darby Allin and Cody work together as well. And what kinda heel shit MJF pulls in the 4way match. Gotta get a lengthy tirade on the mic on the way down to the ring in there.

potentialgetawaydriver

Postby Bartatua » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:31 pm

bleacher report is erroring out for me on all browsers
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby Bartatua » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:32 pm

after watching the preshow i hope aew doesn't lean into the comedy too much as a general principle
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby a new dad for all » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Bartatua wrote:bleacher report is erroring out for me on all browsers

yeh it finally managed to work on safari for me

a new dad for all

Postby cud nylon » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:50 pm

Jim Ross needs to call moves and shut up otherwise
cud nylon

Postby a new dad for all » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:04 pm

lol this womens triple threat is nuts

a new dad for all

Postby figaro » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:10 pm

i'm familiar with goldenboy because of esports stuff and he's been pretty good?

upgrade from marvez for sure anyways

figaro

Postby shame dawg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Jesus that chair shot
This Guy wrote:There needs to be more RPGs

shame dawg

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:08 pm

Damn. I loved that Cody/Darby Allin match. Would not have guessed Cody was gonna end up taking a more grotesque shot than Allin's backwards freefall into the apron but that chair shot fucked him up big time.

potentialgetawaydriver

Postby pinkerton » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:49 pm

Not a fan of barbed wire/any kind of death match stuff but this is cool.

pinkerton

Postby pinkerton » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:58 pm

Good lord

pinkerton

Postby dreamshake » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:19 pm

mox came to chew thumbtacks and kick ass
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby buriedinspace » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:25 pm

What's your top 5 matches of the year this far?

Mine:

Gargano/Cole 2/3
Moxley/Juice
Ibushi/Naito MSG
Romero/Ospreay
SHO/Dragon Lee
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

(they/them, fwiw)

buriedinspace

Postby scurrydog » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:25 pm

That chair shot was really shitty and has no place in modern pro wrestling. There’s no safe way of taking blunt metal object trauma to the head.

Wrestling companies and performers have an obligation to say no to doing such reckless stunts.

There have been too many wrestlers dying and killing as a result of varying head traumas.

It was shitty when the wwe punished baron Corbin for providing more info about cte to talent. it’s also shitty when your head booker/promoter sets a standard for violence that leads to the death and destruction of your talent. Especially when they aren’t in the Vince McMahon position of being able to afford to pay for decades of rehab and medical bills under the table.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby dreamshake » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:40 pm

in total, wrestlers scramble their brains more doing big spots off the top rope all the time, or getting slammed, as they would taking one unprotected chair shot. plus it's the evp taking the shot. if they're forcing jobbers to do that, or it's happening all the time, or the match is like foley rock, I think people have a point but like darby allin's spot onto the ring apron was probably more dangerous than that chair shot. I think this chair shot exposed a real naivete among a lot of fans about how often wrestlers go out and kill themselves for your entertainment. you don't think janela's brain was bouncing around his skull after an elbow drop off the ladder?
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby big zorb » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:52 pm

:?
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].

drop me a line at elzorbie@gmail.com

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby dreamshake » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:02 pm

lol yall can't handle a chair shot they thought they gimmicked but will cheer on the g1 where most of the guys are doing things that are way worse in terms of the sustained head trauma that can lead to cte? there's literally no such thing as a "safe bump" that totally eliminates head trauma.
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby dubs » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:12 pm

i see your point dreamshake but i dont think anyone (at least here) would diminish the risks these guys take every night. but theres taking a risk and then theres taking a metal object off your head at full force.

dubs

Postby Settings Options » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:23 pm

There's also the whole "time and a place" argument and I don't think a debuting Tye Dillenger is worth that especially when you don't have a show for months to even explain the "WHY?!?" storyline. Very much an old ECW vibe where something dumb happens, risk and story wise, and it gets more of a pass than it probably deserves from an overly receptive fanbase
Settings Options

Postby dreamshake » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:34 pm

I understand the time and place argument and actually agree that it maybe wasn't the best spot for the shot. I thought it took away from the great match Allin had and he deserved another rub there.

I just don't understand the no chair shots ever thing, especially if the pros think they found a way to gimmick it and make it "safer". people seem to be fine watching people do hellacious spots but one failed gimmicked chair shot crosses the line? there's strong evidence cte comes from sustained head trauma rather than concussions so the accumulation of all that whiplash you get from taking flat back bumps in one match is just as bad than that chair shot all things considered. I just find it odd that fans speak out about this but aren't upset about anything involving a table or ladder, or bumps from the top rope to the floor or on the ring apron when the science shows taking those bumps regularly is probably as bad or worse than a chairshot.
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby dreamshake » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:42 pm

there's something a read a few years back about the difference b/w bumps in mexico vs the us and how side bumps, along with trios matches, probably accounted for the increased career longevity of mexican luchadors compared to american wrestlers because there's little to no whiplash and so your brain was better protected from the kind of trauma that causes cte. it also theorized that mayybe that was why flair had such a long career. it was solid and i think about it almost every time i see someone take a bump through a table.
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:47 pm

A chairshot to the head in 2019 is going to catch some backlash regardless, but the fact it looked like Cody was almost murdered by the way the back of his head got sliced open...well, that def made it way more visceral and disturbing to see. I wasn't immediately outraged or anything by Cody wanting to do the spot (maybe I should be?) although it was definitely a bad idea and poorly executed.

potentialgetawaydriver

Postby Settings Options » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Maybe it was just the chat I was in, but the more telling wave of backlash was from Cody blading on the wrong side of his head that he took the chairshot on :D

Totally agree that whatever you thought of the match, the post-match (including sending MJF out to tend to Cody so you know it's REAL) totally overshadowed Darby's performance, especially to an audience (like me) that was seeing him for the first time
Settings Options

Postby dreamshake » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:43 pm

i can't believe they used that shot to start a feud with tye fucking dillinger instead of like starting a hot feud b/w MJF & Cody a year from now. or like have omega do it to mox.
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley