Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Pris » Mon May 27, 2019 7:13 am

buriedinspace wrote:If I was putting together the G1 this year, my line-up, if possible would be something like:

Okada
Tanahashi
Naito
Jay
Ibushi
Sabre
SANADA
EVIL
Suzuki
Ishii
Juice
Ospreay
Moxley
Liger
Taichi
Umino
Cobb
Taven
Aldis

And one wild card, maybe Omega, maybe Miyahara, maybe Jericho?

I always wish they'd just put Sekimoto or Okabayashi in there, but it seems even less likely now they're AJPW-affiliated.

Loved Nakajima's G1-run from a few years ago,

Pris

Postby buriedinspace » Mon May 27, 2019 11:58 am

One of the more interesting Wrestling Observer pods, with the input of 2 big time female fans and 1 newbie young woman who just saw her second show giving their ideas

https://www52.zippyshare.com/v/TSG5YBsT/file.html

(I do wish Bryan and Dave didn't interrupt them in the middle of interesting points a few times but hell, baby steps)
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Mon May 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Also, wow, they really feel the need to apologize for bothering to ask women for their opinion

PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?

buriedinspace

Postby Bartatua » Mon May 27, 2019 12:18 pm

everyone should watch the bret hart in his own words thing, in db
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby gambra » Mon May 27, 2019 2:26 pm

The WOR episode was pretty good I thought, they didn't step on their points much and let them all talk.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

gambra

Postby NegativeCapability » Mon May 27, 2019 3:16 pm

The things I liked the most about Double or Nothing is that pretty much everyone had a chance to shine and they didn't make anyone look like a ham'n'egger. Fewer matches and a good amount of time for every match. Plus no fuckin atrocious "comedy" bits from the mind of a demented, old, weird rich guy who hates the fuckin thing that made him rich. And I've been thinking a lot about how they made Ambrose do all kinds of goofy shit over the years since the original Shield break up so much so that fans began to call the fuckin guy overrated and shit and now he's one of the hottest guys in wrestling again. Sick hype videos. Sick promo. Good old sick creep Moxley. The shit that got him hired in the first fuckin place. This is a real game changer.
Stabbing me 11 times only pissed me off.

NegativeCapability

Postby Double McDouble » Mon May 27, 2019 6:08 pm

Final thoughts on Double or Nothing

Things I loved

The final three matches were all outstanding, especially Cody vs. Dustin. That wasn’t a total 5 star match, but it was damn close.

They have a diverse (albeit slightly thin) roster with a solid core of main event wrestlers.

It was the first wrestling show in a really long time where I truly didn’t know what was going to happen next.

Excalibur was really good on commentary and did a tremendous job of putting over the talent and telling their stories. At times it felt like he was the only one in the booth that was even familiar with 90% of the talent on the roster.

Jon Fucking Moxley

Things I didn’t love

The first half of the show felt very much like a Ring of Honor show, and that is in no way a compliment.

Commentary was mostly bad. Alex was beyond awful. JR was good at times but really doesn’t feel like a good fit for this. It’s clear based on talent signings and interviews that they are trying to present a very progressive product and JR just isn’t the guy to get that over. Whether he was calling Japanese wrestlers Chinese, ranting about how parents don’t teach their kids respect, or talking about the weight of the female competitors in a sort of weird way, it really just didn’t feel like a good fit. I was cringing inside at the thought of him trying to explain the backgrounds and struggles in life wrestlers like Sonny Kiss and Nyla Rose have gone through. The perfect guy for this role is someone like Mauro Ranallo but he’s obviously busy.

It felt a little too smarky at times with inside references to WWE inflating attendance numbers, Cody smashing the Triple H chair, using shoot terms on commentary, etc. I didn’t totally hate it, but it’s not going to draw in casuals and is likely to confuse them more than anything.

For all of the talk of analytics, that aspect was completely non-existent. I get that this will largely be based upon records within the company and what not, but it felt like they could’ve done more with it after saying that was going to be a big part of the presentation.

Not every match needs to be 10+ minutes. I understand wanting to give everyone adequate time to shine, but it’s really not a realistic portrayal of combat sports like UFC and boxing when you can tune out for the first ten minutes of every match because you know there’s never going to be a finish.

Overall, I thought this was a really solid show for being their first effort. They’ll definitely have to offer future shows at a lower price point, as I don’t see many casuals or even die hards shelling out $50 on a monthly or bi-monthly basis when WWE and NJPW have established the going rate for a wrestling PPV at under $10. It definitely feels like legitimate competition though and I’m excited to see where they go from here, especially after their weekly show starts in the fall.
Double McDouble

Postby pinkerton » Mon May 27, 2019 9:44 pm

They are teasing Brock cashing in in Saudi Arabia tonight. Good lord.

pinkerton

Postby bobble » Mon May 27, 2019 11:02 pm

I thought Double or Nothing was really good!! I've spent the last year or two trying to deprogram myself from all the meta-smark shit, "rumors" and stuff - it's just not very fun for me, fantasy booking in my brain instead of just watching. I was very surprised by Moxley. Cody/Dustin was ridiculous. I like the Bucks and love Penta and Fenix and thought that was pretty great although cmon on a few kick outs. Main event sucked. Uhh... battle royal kinda sucked too, and Hangman vs Jericho might be garbage. Women's match was pretty good, I love Kylie Rae and Kong. Joshi match was super duper fun, probably the funnest match for me. I streamed illegally but would sub to a service to watch the weekly if I have to.

bobble

Postby 58769 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:05 am

Pris wrote:
shame dawg wrote:uploading double or nothing to dropbox now

Thanks for that! Just got done watching the show.

To see such a big arena full in the US for a non-WWE show was amazing.

Show was okay. I liked the Aja Kong tag match and the Lucha Bros vs Young Bucks.

Cody taking a shot at WWE during his entrance felt real petty and makes the company look cheap. Also it seems we've gone back to not naming rival companies by name. Omega & Jericho had a match ...in the Tokyo Dome. Only a golden one kicked out of the One Winged Angel. Come on...

this is probably the best thing about Kevin Kelly's commentary. He doesn't hide from it and it makes it so much more authentic

and now juice is using FCW in the promotion :lol:

(and on the pod http://post.njpw1972.com/wp-content/upl ... st-ep5.mp3)

Postby Shotfrog » Tue May 28, 2019 8:14 am

lol @ Baron Corbin #1 contender

Shotfrog

Postby Double McDouble » Tue May 28, 2019 9:22 am

Too good. Vince really would rather burn the company to the ground before giving up control to someone else. Also love him ranting through Sami and mentioning AEW by name. Nothing like free advertising for your competitor. Truly feels like 99-00 WCW at this point.
Double McDouble

Postby Bartatua » Tue May 28, 2019 9:34 am

Wait they didnt actually mention aew on the air did they? Holy shit
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby buriedinspace » Tue May 28, 2019 9:45 am

Bartatua wrote:Wait they didnt actually mention aew on the air did they? Holy shit

Sami basically mocked the fans for not asking interesting questions because they didn't even ask him about AEW during a segment built around fans asking him questions

buriedinspace

Postby scurrydog » Tue May 28, 2019 10:10 am

I figured that was more of Vince McMahon shitting on the whole idea of the segment. It sounded like one of those ideas that were given to him in order to boost the ratings.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby Dear You » Tue May 28, 2019 3:24 pm

what a time to be alive
milknight wrote:half of u still listen to animal collective and ur gonna shit on the band that did Numb

Dear You

Postby CudNylon » Wed May 29, 2019 7:07 am

Never listen to Talk is Jericho but this Moxley episode is a can’t miss based on the quotes I’ve seen.

edit: yeah this was great. so happy for our boy.
Last edited by CudNylon on Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

CudNylon

Postby 58769 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 am

I was surprised at how good it was. I feel like some of the guys who leave WWE play it safe when discussing the negatives but Mox has basically straight up said Vince sucks

Postby Shotfrog » Wed May 29, 2019 2:55 pm

CudNylon wrote:Never listen to Talk is Jericho but this Moxley episode is a can’t miss based on the quotes I’ve seen.

I'm queuing this up for a three-hour car ride on Friday.

Shotfrog

Postby Bartatua » Wed May 29, 2019 3:25 pm

CudNylon wrote:Never listen to Talk is Jericho but this Moxley episode is a can’t miss based on the quotes I’ve seen.

both his recent eps with meltzer are worth a listen too
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Wed May 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Talk is Jericho ep was incredible
I can only imagine how many folks are chomping at the bit to gtfo out to that company these days

potentialgetawaydriver

Postby Double McDouble » Wed May 29, 2019 5:36 pm

Vince is such a poor man's wannabe Trump. Has there been a single story ever that painted him in an even remotely positive light?
Double McDouble

Postby Bartatua » Wed May 29, 2019 6:48 pm

jericho moxley interview will be the most talked about since cm punk's
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby buriedinspace » Wed May 29, 2019 9:36 pm

The interview is great.

Jericho's weird 'pretends he's still doing the interview but actually he's cutting out of it to do a pretaped ad' is so annoying though. It's such a weird 'worker' mentality thing to do.
Last edited by buriedinspace on Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buriedinspace

Postby Bartatua » Wed May 29, 2019 9:43 pm

buriedinspace wrote:The interview is great.

Jericho's weird 'pretends he's still doing the interview but actually he's cutting out of it to do a pretaped interview' is so annoying though. It's such a weird 'worker' mentality thing to do.

just drink it in, man
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby Dear You » Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 am

Think I might try and go to Wrestle Kingdom.

Always wanted to visit Japan and have friends out there. Tickets are pretty cheap around that time so I am....very tempted.

Should probably get a passport first but whatever.
milknight wrote:half of u still listen to animal collective and ur gonna shit on the band that did Numb

Dear You

Postby Pris » Thu May 30, 2019 4:11 am

Sounds like a plan! Plus you can go see a dozen other wrestling shows around that time. Big dream for me as well, it's always amazing to follow the people who go on the Japanese wrestling facebook groups.

Pris

Postby Pris » Thu May 30, 2019 5:36 am

Shingo seems way to big to just be a guy in Los Ingobernables. Like Bowie in Tin Machine. He should turn on Naito, go heavyweight and form his own unit.

Also I'm real sorry but I just don't see it with Juice. A lower-card job guy like Scotty 2 Hotty at most. Feel free to quote this when he wins the IWGP title.

Pris

Postby buriedinspace » Thu May 30, 2019 5:44 am

Pris wrote:Also I'm real sorry but I just don't see it with Juice. A lower-card job guy like Scotty 2 Hotty at most. Feel free to quote this when he wins the IWGP title.

'White person with dreads' just kills any appeal he could have. But I definitely feel like he's about at his peak of where you could credibly out him. Hope he jobs for Moxley and heads down the card or into a tag team. That or into a hair match that he can lose.

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Thu May 30, 2019 5:49 am

Pris wrote:Shingo seems way to big to just be a guy in Los Ingobernables. Like Bowie in Tin Machine. He should turn on Naito, go heavyweight and form his own unit.

'Too big to be under Naito, he should turn' seems to be what folks have said about basically every non-Bushi member of LIJ. SANADA especially but EVIL, Takahashi and now Shingo...

I wouldn't be against EVIL/Naito/Takahashi vs SANADA/Shingo/Bushi as a program at some point?

buriedinspace

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....