Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:02 am

That Raw was... pretty bad. And the announce team was noticeably terrible. Even the Firefly Fun House was pretty meh and The Fiend run in was just not very interesting or exciting at all.

The opening with Rey and Brock was interesting. It'd be a super fun direction to go in. I might even consider having Rey cost Lesnar the title Friday.

The Rock confirmed for Smackdown is fun. What kind of rating can WWE do on a Friday night with every possible hand on deck: Rock, Austin and Taker appearing, Lesnar wrestling for the title on TV, a second major PPV style match with Owens/Shane... Outside of Ronda and Cena, I see nothing more they could do. I guess if you announced Rock as special enforcer of the Main Event or teased him and/or Taker wrestling?

CM Punk's legal stuff just was resolved today, which is quite the week for such a thing...
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:49 am

I just realized how terrible the worst version of the Rusev/Lashley feud could be:

*They could play into pretty racist tropes about black hyper virility plus pretty classic 'black women coming for our white women' racist fears
*Even more so if they decide to make Lashley Maria's baby daddy too but that's just something they might decide to do. Given their history with Mark Henry, I could imagine them thinking it'd be ok but this would definitely feel actually worse and far more not in line with the times.
*Also feel like 'Rusev decided to become a citizen and Soviet nationalist Lana was appalled' wouldn't shock me, which would be less gross but more eye roll enduring as a premise.

PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?

buriedinspace

Postby NegativeCapability » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:33 am

Live Blacked Celebration
Back where I bong... behind my desk, changing the world. Using that giant brain to make some magic.

NegativeCapability

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Jericho's partner's for tomorrow were announced on the Countdown special:

It's LAX

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:13 pm

It was established in a short video of them congratulating and thanking Jericho post 'All Out', and it made it seem like they knew what they were doing and perhaps I'm reading more into it than I ought to but it seemed like they were maybe supposed to come off like they were manipulating or playing Jericho? They might just supposed to seem like untrustworthy dudes in general but there was a sense of performative kissing of Jericho's ring (metaphorically speaking) - it wouldn't make sense for them to turn on Jericho but I'm wondering if that'll play into things at all.

Countdown special was good. First half was basically just a documentary about the foundational moments of the founding of AEW: the core members rise to fame, All In, Double or Nothing, the TNT announcement, All Out etc. It was really interesting the tact they took in acknowledging New Japan, Ring of Honor, WWE, PWG and basically anyone else that came up in the telling of any of these stories without making a big deal out of mentioning them or mentioning stars from their promotion or mentioning their histories in those promotions. Meltzer was one of the talking heads, esp talking about the 'bet' with Cody about All In but also just giving some context more generally. The second half basically seemed to be a cut together version of the Road To specials, with some spotlight features mixed in.

There was a very brief Being the Elite today, as well, with the Bucks calling Kenny to say they all need to find their edge again and that they need the old Kenny Omega back and it was all done to a black screen, as a voice mail, with text basically subtitling what they said. And it ended with Kenny eying the Cleaner gimmick style glasses, picking them up... a pause and then throwing them in the trash. Seems to confirm that Kenny is going through a character change and that this losing streak gimmick is leading somewhere. Guessing it's not to more manic Kenny but something different. A fascinating time to start mixing things up, though.

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:22 pm

Worth noting on the 'not worried about other promotions' front: Meltzer was wearing an LIJ t-shirt throughout all his talking heads.

buriedinspace

Postby a new dad for all » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:35 am

This finally - and very quietly for some reason - got announced for all my fellow Canadians

happy that i dont have to sign up for another monthly subscription and i already get TSN direct with my bare bones cable package

a new dad for all

Postby subtitles » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:21 pm

anybody else going to AEW tonight? can't wait. I know like six people going where it's the first live wrestling they've ever been to.

if you're in dc, stubhub has tickets for like $10

subtitles

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Feels like between today and Friday, that we're in a wrestling moment about as big and meaningful as like a Mania weekend.

Pretty hyped for the shows tonight and not entirely sure how I'm gonna watch. Just figured out I could still use my ex from like 4 years agos mom's cable to get a TNT live feed last night for the countdown show, so it might be AEW live, NXT once it's done?

Or maybe it's back and forth! I dunno!

buriedinspace

Postby Double McDouble » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Cracking up at the idea of a person’s first exposure ever to pro wrestling being the final 5 minutes of that Raw episode from this week. Holy shit bad
Double McDouble

Postby Nucky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:28 pm

buriedinspace wrote:Feels like between today and Friday, that we're in a wrestling moment about as big and meaningful as like a Mania weekend

what's coming after the nxt/aew shows tonight?

edit: forgot about smackdown

Nucky

Postby hamilton » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Solid show and solid two hours of wrestling on national TV. Lots of commercials, but I guess that comes with the territory. Legit never thought I would mark out for a Jack Swagger run-in in 2019.Toggle Spoiler

hamilton

Postby gambra » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:16 pm

I watched a stream of the TNT feed and fucking hell I'll never do that again. Commercials were incredibly intrusive. Solid two hours of TV though.

Seemingly NXT went all out tonight too, Finn Balor is now in there. Will have to watch it tomorrow.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

gambra

Postby gambra » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 pm

It's mad that Swagger is doing moves like he did tonight when he's still fighting for Bellator in like two weeks timeToggle Spoiler
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

gambra

Postby hamilton » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:28 pm

Can’t wait to watch NXT. Have no doubt that show killed. Pretty great to potentially have two solid shows to watch each week.

My one thing with AEW to date is Omega is not coming across as the star that he is. Hoping this changes moving forward.

Stoked that I have tickets for next week’s show.

hamilton

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:52 pm

The two big surprises for NXT were cool.

The big surprise for AEW was... considerably weirder but kinda worked.

Interesting that with NXT already having their TV built around a heel stable (a fairly rare thing in modern wrestling, especially when not affiliated with an authority figure) that AEW seems like they might be moving in that direction, as well?

Or maybe it's just trying to set up an 8 man (minus the soon to fight Hager)Toggle Spoiler for next week?

Seems like NXT who are headed next to WarGames will be doing:

Finn/Dream/Ciampa/???(Gargano?) vs Undisputed EraToggle Spoiler in the titular match

And I'd not be surprise if we get Street Profits drafted, maybe Pete Dunne too? Matt Riddle would be a wild card but that was a heck of a clean loss coming off a quicker than you'd think path to a title shot and Fox has talked about wanting a 'real sports' feel and he's def one of the guys on the roster who can provide a bit of that.Toggle Spoiler

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:01 pm

Weird that AEW went off the air with only one announced match for next week that I recall (the previously announced first round Bucks vs Private Party match)

The tag titles will be decided before Full Gear (only realized the Being the Elite Adam Page running gag connection the other day) so guessing we have the Bucks go over and LAX as their first challengers

buriedinspace

Postby scurrydog » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:20 am

AEW needs a lot of work, but it was a good first start.

The sound quality was bad, the announcers sounded really muffled and many of the camera angles were like unintentional Adam McKay moves... like it shouldn’t be that hard to frame up a decent shot...

Excited for the younger kids.. MJF seems like he could be interesting enough... jack swagger didn’t work. He looked like he aged 15 years and the audience did his wwe chant. Felt like a TNA type move.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:31 am

Hager was, for me, OK and I see where they were going with it: recognizable guy, heavy for the stable Jericho is putting together, some added credibility from the MMA fights and kind of an underrated former star, to an extent (it might have been a flop but... he was a World Champ for a few)

If judged as a major surprise to end a show and judged against Tomaso Ciampa (and Finn Balor) for NXT, he doesn't rate. But as a signee, he's fine and the role they seem to have him in is fine.

I just felt like the show ended up flatter than I'd have expected.

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:53 pm

Dynamite trampled NXT in the ratings, in case anyone missed that. 1.4 million vs. 0.8 million

buriedinspace

Postby Shotfrog » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Uh oh, Randy Orton had a heated gamer moment.

Shotfrog

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:24 pm

Far from invested in WWE but all this talk about a potential Edge return is pretty hype. Would be amazing to see him come back and have a killer second run ala Shawn Michaels. Though honestly it will probably be a one-off for some Saudi $$, huh?

potentialgetawaydriver

Postby dreamshake » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:03 pm

lol fuck how kofi was disrespected in a squash just so they could feed into a surprise cain velasquez pop.
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Cain vs Brock on the same show as Braun vs Fury seemed very same-y but both are fun ideas.

Guessing we're gonna get maybe Cain/Mysterio/New Day vs Brock/partners at Survivor Series? Cain is legitimately pretty decent at some limited lucha stuff but I'm guessing they'd still want to hide him a bit.

I do think the Kofi loss was a little embarassing but they can play it off as a fluke, certainly. I'd imagine that's the hook for the rematch. I could see them doing that SS match, letting Brock do a staredown with Cain there where he's distracted into eat Trouble in Paradise for a Kofi pin over him. Kofi vs Brock at Rumble. Brock vs Cain is saved till Mania? Can you save it that long?

I wonder if they'll pay off Fury vs Braun in Saudi Arabia - isn't Fury fighting there next? There was some large boxing fight set for there, I know.

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:05 am

Uh, nevermind...

Cain vs Brock: Crown Jewel

Gross.

buriedinspace

Postby Shotfrog » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:06 am

WWE sucks!

Shotfrog

Postby buriedinspace » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:12 am

Teasing more Braun vs Fury for Monday, wouldn't be surprised if both happen at Crown Jewel.

Will they do a fuck finish at HIAC and do Taker vs The Fiend plus Goldberg vs Ziggler 2, just to put on a particularly huge show to the worst, from all perspectives crowd? I feel complicit even watching a pirated stream of that shit.

I'm about to actually have money again and there's about a 0% chance, in spite of their being plenty of things I was pirating that I'll actually pay for once again, that WWE Network is one of them because of those shows. Too gross.

buriedinspace

Postby dreamshake » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:15 pm

lol I can't believe they're using Velazquez for crown jewel but I shouldn't be surprised they can't make anything a long term story-line or that they sacrificed Kofi so Lesnar could have a fight with a guy who isn't even signed to a contract. like why can't Kofi get in a little offense when Seth can beat Lesnar twice in a year...

I don't mind bringing in Velazquez, he had some cool spots in that triplemania trios match, but the way they did it is inokism.

also the Fury-Braun thing is definitely just happening because of the Joshua-Ruiz fight in ksa in December.
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby buriedinspace » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:18 pm

I didn't mind the angle but it'd have worked exactly as well as a distraction finish for Kofi to retain. 'Lesnar has seen a ghost!' BOOM Trouble in Paradise, Brock kicks out at 3.1 if you need to protect him, continue angle.

buriedinspace

Postby Double McDouble » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Can’t really imagine anyone being excited to see Brock get his win back from a real fight in a fake fight.
Double McDouble

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....