Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby hbb » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:53 am

The good news is you’ll be able to seamlessly transition into the HBOmax aesthetic
hbb

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:58 am

animojis look like theyre about to inform you that the CIA is investigating your web browsing history and then offer you amazon prime deals

it's the suspense that gets me

Postby powderfinger » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:08 am

Macs going to Apple SOCs seems like such bad news. If they don't like a format or technology, they can now hobble it at the hardware level for their entire ecosystem. So many people nerding out about Geekbench single core performance but what's actually happening is that Apple is giving itself total control over Mac software, which they will likely use aggressively to exert influence over other platforms. It's ridiculously monopolistic.

powderfinger

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:25 am

quinine wrote:how does stickies still exist

Happy and Healthy!

Postby buboclot » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:29 am

that’s crazy talk. half the mac line-up stagnated because of their reliance on intel. how has that been good for anyone? they’d be foolish to ride that horse indefinitely.

i think we may even see prices come down slightly long term once theyre not paying intel. actually seems like great news for mac owners.

buboclot

Postby powderfinger » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 am

I don't care whether this is a good business move for Apple, which is obviously is, or whether it is good for Mac users, which it may or may not be in the long-run. I care about whether this is good for everyone. I don't think it is, because it will increase Apple's market power in the wider tech world.

powderfinger

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am

Happy and Healthy! wrote:
quinine wrote:how does stickies still exist

how else will you know if you need milk, eggs, bread
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby powderfinger » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:13 am

All of those boxes are opportunities for Apple to make decisions about what works or doesn't at a hardware level for every device it makes. Currently Intel gets to make a lot of these decisions for Macs, which creates a somewhat level playing field with the Windows world.

Initially this will be fairly benign because the first priority is going to be a smooth transition and that means parity between x86 and ARM Macs. But a few years down the line as support for new technologies start to get baked into hardware? Apple is definitely going to throw its weight around.

I'm not a computer engineer or anything but this seems like a big deal to me from an antitrust point of view.

powderfinger

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:17 am

quinine wrote:how does quicktime still exist

I don’t think QuickTime has been able to successfully open a video file on my iMac in over 5 years. Even proprietary mov files
It’s an alright native screen recorder though, that’s the only time I ever need to use it

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby quinine » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:49 am

what on earth are you talking about powderfinger
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby variegated reality » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:05 am

lol

variegated reality

Postby black mamba » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:10 am

powderfinger wrote:All of those boxes are opportunities for Apple to make decisions about what works or doesn't at a hardware level for every device it makes. Currently Intel gets to make a lot of these decisions for Macs, which creates a somewhat level playing field with the Windows world.

Initially this will be fairly benign because the first priority is going to be a smooth transition and that means parity between x86 and ARM Macs. But a few years down the line as support for new technologies start to get baked into hardware? Apple is definitely going to throw its weight around.

I'm not a computer engineer or anything but this seems like a big deal to me from an antitrust point of view.

everybody that makes hardware is looking to divorce themselves from intel including microsoft

black mamba
ok

Postby black mamba » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:14 am

also as user buboclot said, issues people have had with recent macs have had a lot to do with intel. a chip based on ARM will run more efficiently, and a chip that is designed specifically for the hardware will run faster. ultimately the trend is to move towards custom SOCs. the rumour is that google is working on one as well to use across their product lines. this was poorly written but hopefully it gets the point across

black mamba
ok

Postby powderfinger » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Yes I understand that the tech oligopolies have a strong business interest in moving away from Intel and that there are also technical advantages. What I'm asking is whether the marginally higher performing gadget are ultimately going to be better for normal people if the cost is platforms that are much more controlled.

powderfinger

Postby black mamba » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:37 pm

it's not marginal improvement. intel chips have been stagnant for a while and their roadmap was based on getting to a 5nm process which iirc they have not been able to achieve

black mamba
ok

Postby black mamba » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:27 pm

imagine an macbook air with increased performance that doesn't overheat and gets much longer battery life. what it seems like you're saying, user powderfinger, is that apple shouldn't make this computer?

black mamba
ok

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:29 pm

yeah but it's also gonna have those icons
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby powderfinger » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:45 pm

What I'm imagining is a MacBook Air that is crippled when it comes to handling, say, media files encoded in some next-gen format because Apple has a beef with it and refuses to enable hardware acceleration, preferring their proprietary format.

powderfinger

Postby black mamba » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:58 pm

what evidence do you have for this hypothetical situation? and furthermore, correct me if i am wrong, but i don't recall a revolution in software development freedom when apple switched from power pc to intel

black mamba
ok

Postby buboclot » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:14 pm

powderfinger i’m not entirely unsympathetic to your viewpoint here re: potential for apple to abuse this and exert more control. but i feel like you’re thinking mostly about edge cases, so the logic doesn’t really add up.

encoding of some next gen media format is not a concern “for normal people.” this will be a good thing for the vast majority of people.

buboclot

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....