Married boarders: question

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Earthlight » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Fuck these wives who are tryin' to get your friends DUIs.
Earthlight

Postby Totally » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:47 pm

bhat's otm - you need to sow your oats in your 20s when you have the independence to do really dumb/selfish/selfless shit with abandon; you can put it in the box, know you took it to the mountain, and move on, start the next thing. Because that thing, your 30s, is where you build the bridge to your 60s. You will be alive for a loooooooooooooooong fucking time, and you need to think about what that's going to look like sooner than later. Otherwise it looks like this: you're 35 at a club talking to a 22 year-old girl about Blackbird Blackbird and Witch Haus and when you try to move the conversation from the brozone into the ozone, she will give you a look three ticks from child molester and excuse herself. Your life will be a series of shat boners.

"If I do this I am a really shitty father/husband" is a whole different world from "If I do this I am a really shitty feckless dbag hipster with no responsibilities who can just move to another dorm/apt/town/city if I fuck up real bad." If you have the opportunity to do the latter, great. But there's a point where that gets boring and you want to LOOK: WHEN YOU GET OLD AND YOU'RE A DAD YOU START MAKING POSICORE DECISIONS YOU BECOME THE CLASH YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO BE THE SEX PISTOLS ANYMORE IT KIND OF SUCKS BUT YOU'RE TOO OLD TO BE THE SEX PISTOLS EVEN IF YOU'RE SINGLE SO AT LEAST YOU DIDN'T BLOW IT THAT HARD.

The older I get, the deeper sense of
I feel when I look at the people who are still worrying about how culturally significant Chillwave is. Leave it to the kids.
gold and glass wrote:cool, leave

Totally

Postby edgeev » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:57 pm

The answer is to hate everyone but your wife

edgeev

Postby jewels » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:11 pm

i have lots of married friends, several of who have kids who offer up their couch. What southpaw described is the best. A group of great friends hanging out and making a big ass meal listening to music and shooting the shit, and not worrying that you might not be able to drive home. Waking up before they wake up and cleaning and making some coffee and everyone's happy and you can still have best friends and be a part of your best friend's kid's life. Certainly the pool of people you can have that kind of night with is relatively small, but that's what makes it worth a damn.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby grammatron » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:13 pm

You guys are welcome to crash on my couch any time, just be warned that the kids get up at like 7 in the am, so don't expect to sleep in.

grammatron

Postby Earthlight » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Making sure intoxicated guests have an alternative to driving is a good lesson for your kids.
Earthlight

Postby roy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Having friends, and having them over frequently, along with going out to visit them, is a good lesson for your kids.
I ain't sayin' she a gold digger,
But she ain't messin' with no broke niggas

roy
long term boarder

Postby board ghost » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 pm

roy wrote:Having friends, and having them over frequently, along with going out to visit them, is a good lesson for your kids.

first time i've ever really emphatically agreed with you about kids
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

board ghost

Postby Totally » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:36 pm

When you have kids, overnight guests are a huge additional burden. Unless you live on an estate. We have a two-night max.

Totally

Postby edgeev » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:48 pm

I put guests in the L5 Tropics wing. L1-L4 Tropics are more for traveling dignitaries.

edgeev

Postby jewels » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:56 pm

i wouldn't want friends staying more than two nights and I don't have kids.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby port » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Turner_Brown wrote:
Savage wrote:When he was single I'd haul my ass out there and crash on his couch, but now that he's married, "people aren't allowed" to crash on the couch.

THIS

I know so many women who have done this to their spouses (my wife included).

I try to tell people who are about to get married how this will happen to them and they insist it won't be the case....

Just wait

Wait, what? McWop will always be allowed on my couch.

port

Postby fatrick » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:58 pm

what kind of boner kebabs do you guys hang out with that sleeping on the couch is this huge imposition

i mean, i think i get drunker than most, but i still rise before 8 AM every time i've slept on a friend's couch

edit: but yeah, multiple nights is ridiculous unless the person is from out of town and there has been some sort of blood-contract written out about the length of duration

fatrick

Postby roy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:41 pm

just to be clear, i'm a chick and i love having overnight guests. if my ex had had any friends, i would have welcomed them warmly in our home, on sofas and in guest rooms, and at a moment's notice.

a couple who were two of my best friends from college were so cool: they bought a big house in somerville, mass shortly after we graduated. for the next decade or so, it became a flophouse for everyone in our group. on thanksgiving, fourth of july, new year's eve, may day, labor day, etc. they entertained between 6 and 15 people - many of whom slept in their guest rooms and living room and on floors. i'm sure those weekends will be among my fondest memories until the day i die.
Last edited by roy on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roy
long term boarder

Postby wolfie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:43 pm

you guys live in hell

the only thing that's changed in my life since baby wolfie was born is i get two fewer hours of sleep a night

everything else is exactly the same. hell, i'm even drunk right now!
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"

wolfie

Postby Totally » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:46 pm

Yeah that's the illusion period. Wait until baby wolfie can walk, talk, make friends and want toys.

Totally

Postby wolfie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:47 pm

im not really worried about it

i'm thinking of having three more in four years
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"

wolfie

Postby TRASHBOY » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:42 pm

It's been said before but it needs to be said again:

Wolfie is a God among men

TRASHBOY

Postby grammatron » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:47 pm

My kids are almost 4, 20 months, and to-be-born in 4 months. I'm drunk listening to Danzig right now. If I'd wanted to go out to a bar tonight and get drunk with some bros, I wouldn't have had to negotiate for it. If a friend needed to crash on the couch, that would be fine.

I'm not saying I'm the exact same person I would be if I were single and childless, but dang you guys.

grammatron

Postby grammatron » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Nah, we always like Port better anyway.

grammatron

Postby TRASHBOY » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:55 pm

I just asked the wife (who's having contractions as we board) and she said she'd be cool with people crashing on our couch whenever as long as they clean up after themselves. She's also Reading a Northern Brewer magazine to decide what grain she wants to order, so....

TRASHBOY

Postby port » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 pm

doomedhuh wrote:remember what a fun guy hek-tor was before he got married

doomedhuh, I'm so tempted to take photos of all his comics just to prove i never made him throw out a single one. cuz i didn't and never will.

port

Postby grammatron » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:03 pm

doomedhuh wrote:
grammatron wrote:My kids are almost 4, 20 months, and to-be-born in 4 months. I'm drunk listening to Danzig right now. If I'd wanted to go out to a bar tonight and get drunk with some bros, I wouldn't have had to negotiate for it. If a friend needed to crash on the couch, that would be fine.

I'm not saying I'm the exact same person I would be if I were single and childless, but dang you guys.

grammatron you don't have to convince me what a cool guy you are

This is the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

grammatron

Postby feral » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:04 pm

TRASHBOY wrote:I just asked the wife (who's having contractions as we board) and she said she'd be cool with people crashing on our couch whenever as long as they clean up after themselves. She's also Reading a Northern Brewer magazine to decide what grain she wants to order, so....

Life, man. Sometimes it's alright.
philosophy isny jut navel gazing about "life"
feral

Postby vhg » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:10 pm

this thread took a turn for the BETTER

fuck yeah

/cran lemon
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
vhg

Postby Earthlight » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:19 pm

I don't know what you guys do for your guests that makes it into such a burden. Anything above a place to wake up other than the ER is beyond the call of duty.
Earthlight

Postby port » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:25 pm

doomedhuh wrote:remember what a fun guy hek-tor was before he got married

Also we're still not married yet so TAKE THAT! (?)

port

Postby roy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:46 pm

doomedhuh wrote:do you wanna team up against port to defend hek-tor's honor

TEAM PORT.

roy
long term boarder

Postby foxriver » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:47 pm

my closest friends in sf are newlyweds. i crash on their couch because i never want to commute home. i bike, volunteer, cook, slackline, travel, rock climb, and hike with them fairly often. hang out with them separately and together without ever feeling like the third wheel. this couple is the shit, i love 'em.

foxriver

Postby Totally » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Which one of them are you banging.

Totally

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley