Bike Thread

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby shizaam » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:15 pm

I also have a rag I use only for the chain and I’ll wipe it down after every ride, just to keep things running cleanly. Lube at least twice a week (if I’m riding most days). That plus baby wipes for the frame makes it so I don’t have to do a full clean all the time.

shizaam

Postby brittle » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:25 pm

yeah, if you stay on it with just a lube/wipe on the reg, you'll only have to clean clean it every few months.

mainly cuz the jockey wheels start to build up road gunk+lube and leave it on the chain.

clean those and cassette with brush and dishwasher detergent too.

brittle

Postby warmjets » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:28 pm

thanks to both of you, i definitely need to start doing this

warmjets

Postby shizaam » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:42 pm

gonna go sweat a few gallons in a few hours in the heat wave

shizaam

Postby warmjets » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:47 pm

godspeed. i went out around 10am today and was a sweaty mess immediately.

warmjets

Postby KPH » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:49 pm

Yeah yesterday it was 96 and some ungodly heat index with the dew point factored in but today looks…identical.

KPH

Postby 1v1 x gvgger » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:56 pm

I find those plastic chain cleaners cumbersome and not actually very good for what little they do.

For the past 5 years or so I've doused the shit in Rock n roll gold lube and pinched a rag to the spinning chain and sides of the jockeys etc and it's worked fine. Maybe it's cause I ride a less finicky group set though.

1v1 x gvgger

Postby fraew » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Fixed up the shifter on my old touring bike - was nice cruising in to work on the ole girl this morning, especially with Spring approaching.
Been spending winter on the CX bike so this is a bit of a change of pace.

I think I might be done with competitive racing (at 42). I'm really looking forward to my wee boy coming along with me on camping/touring trips (he's 2 in a couple months).

fraew

Postby brittle » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Elf of Shelf wrote:I find those plastic chain cleaners cumbersome and not actually very good for what little they do.

For the past 5 years or so I've doused the shit in Rock n roll gold lube and pinched a rag to the spinning chain and sides of the jockeys etc and it's worked fine. Maybe it's cause I ride a less finicky group set though.

man, i wore mine out because i used it so much.

and i feel like i haven't gotten my chain clean since.

luckily i don't care as much as i used to, and it's still getting replaced before it even gets a chance to get super unsightly. the sram 1071 i put on last season is lasting way too fucking long though. my rear derailleur is finally shot (about 30k miles later) but i'll need to replace the chain, so i've been patiently waiting to stretch it to .5, but it's still kicking ass.

it still does the job, but there's a little lateral play where the cage joins the parallelogram, so it aways sits a little to the side of the gear, depending on weather my last shift was up or down. it eventually settles in true to the gear, but until it does, it's a lot more noisy than i like. still— better than wasting a perfectly good chain.

brittle

Postby brittle » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:37 am

I just KOM'd a hill with 3,000 riders on the leaderboard :shock:

brittle

Postby 1v1 x gvgger » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:45 am

Wow nice

1v1 x gvgger

Postby 1v1 x gvgger » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:48 am

I was 1 second from being brained by a falling tree branch during a storm yesterday, one of those things where you stop and go "holy shit" and move on.

I love riding in the half hour before a huge storm blows in, the energy is incredible.

1v1 x gvgger

Postby shizaam » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:29 pm

hell yeah. raced a lightning storm home yesterday, pulled in right as the skies opened up.

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:11 pm

really can't wait for late summer / fall riding. 90˚at 8pm sucks.

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:12 pm

got in about 50 today for the first time since getting taken out by a cold a few weeks ago. felt pretty good, but the heat is real rough.

shizaam

Postby glam2deaf » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Moved back into the city, so I've taken this as an opportunity to start commuting by bike to class and back. Hit 50km last week going back and forward 4 times, don't think I've done a week that long in a while. It's mostly just a good excuse to get this Ritchey up and running. Fixed gear with front and rear brakes is an absolute dream.

glam2deaf

Postby bamboozle_guzzler » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:10 pm

that bike is sick af

bamboozle_guzzler

Postby shizaam » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:15 pm

yah, seriously an awesome ride

shizaam

Postby southpaw » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:22 pm

I’m at my wife’s parents and am bikeless with no easy way to rent a bike

There’s a comfort bike in the garage whispering “I’m still technically a bike” every time I walk past

Broke down and rode it today in a hella sketchy part of the suburbs with terrible infrastructure. Got a 3rd place crown on strava, holding 20mph for a mile. Could only take 8 miles on it, just the worst fucking trash garbage bike known to man. Honestly the motherfucker who invented this style of bike should be water boarded

Remember when you thought the trek multitrack sucked, this thing must be a conspiracy by the automobile industry to convince people not to ride

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Got some real looks out there today with my cycling shorts and glasses on riding a literal turd

southpaw

Postby glam2deaf » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:43 pm

Thank you. I had my eyes on it for a while, then the original owner messaged me asking if I wanted it, he was onto another project so couldn't resist. It was the first time I realised that Ritchey had done a single speed Breakaway. Currently zero need or want to travel, so for now it's just a cool feature that I can break it in half. The rest of it was just spare parts, or wheels I swapped with a friend for some chainrings. The seatpost and stem both started out as black, the polishing took way too much effort though, I recommend just buying polished next time.

It makes Ritchey #3 for me, and #5 for the house, my wife has an Ultra and Road Logic.

glam2deaf

Postby 1v1 x gvgger » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:50 pm

southpaw wrote:Got some real looks out there today with my cycling shorts and glasses on riding a literal turd

Omg yesssss lol

1v1 x gvgger

Postby shizaam » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:32 pm

started doing some short daily core work because I realized that when I get tired on the bike (especially a mountain bike), I've been straightening my arms and throwing way too much weight forward on my hands, which kills my upper back. my entire core has been on fire all week lol

shizaam

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:31 am

Is it generally accepted that you size up a little on 70s/80s frames over modern ones? I've never had a proper bike fit but I generally get recommended around a 58cm frame when I've tested modern bikes (I'm 6'1" with long legs). My current bike only comes in one frame size, with a 57cm seat tube, but it's been fine because it's very upright with swept back bars.
I'm looking at some Holdsworths and Carltons on eBay though because I want something I can use as a light tourer I can take to see my parents in the country just with my saddle bag packed and no panniers, and thinking I may need to get e.g. a 60cm. There's a guy reasonably near me selling one he's measured as a 59cm st/58cm tt but he reckons it'll be right on the threshold of too small for me, but says I'm welcome to try it out.
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.

Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby brittle » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:47 am

i think youll be ok.

though, i think the Frame Size is generally the lenght of the top tube, not seat tube. i don't buy many bikes, but when i bought my last bike online, it was pretty spcefic about that, to the degree i just thought top tube and frame size were universally interchangeable.

but yeah, i'm 6'4", my race/road bike is a 58 (with a 70mm stem and the seat post all the way extended) and my old schwinn commuter is a 62cm (top tube measurements on both)

brittle

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:08 am

That's weird, here I always see bike sizes given by default as the seat tube measurement in inches or centimetres, both by eBay sellers and online bike shops if the latter isn't just using S, M, L etc. Gonna message this guy and see if I can do a viewing of the Holdsworth (and not make an idiot of myself using downtube shifters and for the first time in my life).
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.

Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby quinine » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:42 am

glam2deaf wrote: The seatpost and stem both started out as black, the polishing took way too much effort though, I recommend just buying polished next time.

it's so damn hard to find silver components these days tho. are there instructions somewhere on stripping them?

quinine
ok

Postby shizaam » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:06 pm

hurricane this weekend... just want a nice couple days to ride...

shizaam

Postby glam2deaf » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:45 pm

quinine wrote:
glam2deaf wrote: The seatpost and stem both started out as black, the polishing took way too much effort though, I recommend just buying polished next time.

it's so damn hard to find silver components these days tho. are there instructions somewhere on stripping them?

Oven cleaner is your friend here, I used Easy-Off brand I'm not sure if that's a local or global option. But any of the really nasty ones will do the trick here.

Coat the parts in oven cleaner and leave it for 10-15 mins.
Rinse off the residue, a big chunk of black should be gone
I repeated this 2 more times.
For polishing, a polisher or polishing wheel on a bench grinder is your friend, a dremel will work, but it's going to be slow.
I polished first with a cutting compound, then finally with auto-sol to get it all shiny and nice.

Alternatively Ritchey had stock of their polished stem, bars, and seatpost which I just bought for another build.

glam2deaf

Postby brittle » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:46 pm

got my first post covid big boy stats:

i always seem to come into form around this time of year when work and house projects finally start to let up a bit. but i don't know how people who don't work from home ride bikes fast?! even with a fairly open schedule i can still barely get in 3-4 hours of weekday riding in.

i got 3 top tens on the way back and two KOMs on the way out, but they didn't show up in my feed cuz the top positions were a bunch of people in thier cars, so i had to flag them all to get my crowns. but it felt good to know it wasn't just a cheater wind. i mean, i did draft a city bus for close to a mile, but that's all in the game.

brittle

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone