Bike Thread

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby new vhg » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:48 pm

welp
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
new vhg

Postby warmjets » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:35 pm

^damn thats fucked. we were spared the worst of Ida down here luckily. rode on the C&O today and it was mostly dry

weather is so good today. low 70s when i hit the trail

warmjets

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:46 pm

glam2deaf wrote:I love Tyler's book, don't think I will forget his retelling of getting the wrong blood bag, it sounded horrific.

his retelling of getting the *right* blood bag was pretty horrific too

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby shizaam » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:52 pm

v h g wrote:

welp

Damn, skipped it today thinking there would be a lot of downed limbs but not this. That’s awful

shizaam

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:15 am

Arranged to try out the 70s Holdsworth today but it felt pretty cramped so I didn't take it. I dunno, I'm not used to riding on drops but I felt very hunched up on the hoods, and the handling seemed extremely twitchy which I associate with a bike being too small; I'm coming from a bike that steers like a gondola though so maybe it's subjective. It was all 531 tubing though and felt incredibly light, plus the lugs looked really nice without being so flashy they'd attract thieves immediately.
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.

Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby Damien Amadeus MetalWind » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:15 am

This was fun…lost a bolt out of my crank arm and the thing fell off while riding. Impossible to find a new one for my old crankset, hopefully found one shipping from overseas. Otherwise I guess I need a new crankset :(
kid8 wrote:women should know when to go fucking home. or at least call it a night. the theatrics aren't helping niña.

Damien Amadeus MetalWind
ok

Postby wolfie » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:21 pm

Finally took the time to clean my bike today, for the first time in like four months. What a shit mess. Put on my gravel tires cause I wanna check out some dirt roads, so I’m looking forward to that. Weather is gorgeous for the first time in three months
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Damien Amadeus MetalWind wrote:This was fun…lost a bolt out of my crank arm and the thing fell off while riding. Impossible to find a new one for my old crankset, hopefully found one shipping from overseas. Otherwise I guess I need a new crankset :(

I would imagine someone is making a bolt with the same size and threading even if it’s not specifically for the crank
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"

wolfie

Postby Damien Amadeus MetalWind » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:30 pm

My LBS threw one in and said try to coast as much as possible (it’s my commuter lol). Everything is in short supply.
kid8 wrote:women should know when to go fucking home. or at least call it a night. the theatrics aren't helping niña.

Damien Amadeus MetalWind
ok

Postby Night porter » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:07 am

Tour of Britain was going right by my house today but I’m working :x think I’ve found a workable place to watch though.

Night porter

Postby Lucky » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:45 am

not working there this week but stage 4 summit finish is near me so will go and watch that
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

Postby warmjets » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:53 am

I was on the bike trail yesterday and a couple on bikes were about 100 feet in front of me about to pass a woman with a large german shepherd. They announced they were passing the woman, but she had earbuds in and i guess didnt hear. Despite having plenty of room to pass, the dog lunged at the man on the bike, took him down and latched onto his leg. Took like 10 seconds before it let go. His leg was bleeding and they were all screaming at each other. I sat back and waited for everyone to calm down. They finally parted ways and I asked the man if he was ok and he said he was. So I rode along.

But apparently they didnt exhange info or anything and nobody can locate the dog owner so the man has to go through with a 5 dose rabies vaccine. I can't even imagine.

warmjets

Postby new vhg » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:05 am

Jfc.
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
new vhg

Postby shizaam » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:13 am

rode early today for the first time on a weekday in months, and got a good 30 miles in, but... i'm totally wiped. this weather is so good though.

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:24 am

just got back from a week of mountain biking up in Vermont and while no single day was that hard, the cumulative effects of riding every day are hitting real hard today. did my first double black diamond, which was pretty dicey. The machine-built downhill trails were incredible, some of the most confident and fun riding I’ve ever done.

shizaam

Postby Jerry Lundegaard » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:46 am

i'm looking at these for mounting on a Giant Contend AR, some of the reviews say "this doesnt fit on my frame" so i am hesitant to pull the trigger

i mostly just need something in the back to keep the pavement water from goobing up my back and butt, i dont need nothing fancy

i prefer that it doesnt attach to the seat post since it might take up too much space for the rear light

is there a rear fender yall might recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LR95BO?ref=vse_pfo_vwdp&th=1&psc=1

Jerry Lundegaard

Postby brittle » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:14 pm

we don't get a lot of rain in colorado, so fenders aren't something i think about much, but i know people who carry these:

https://ass-savers.com/

they're foldable so you can keep them in a bag/jersey pocket until you need it.

i don't know about sharing space with a tail light, but at least you'd be able to reserver seatpost supremacy for your tail light for the majority of the time.

brittle

Postby 1v1 x gvgger » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:23 pm

I've found that an Sks s blade clip on fender works fine if you're out there just once or twice a week in the rain. Every set of full fenders I've had have been a pita to install and then they get hung up on a curb or your toe and wind of getting destroyed within the year.

1v1 x gvgger

Postby shizaam » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:30 pm

Jerry Lundegaard wrote:i'm looking at these for mounting on a Giant Contend AR, some of the reviews say "this doesnt fit on my frame" so i am hesitant to pull the trigger

i mostly just need something in the back to keep the pavement water from goobing up my back and butt, i dont need nothing fancy

i prefer that it doesnt attach to the seat post since it might take up too much space for the rear light

is there a rear fender yall might recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LR95BO?ref=vse_pfo_vwdp&th=1&psc=1

not sure if these would fit, but they're a godsend when it's wet and slushy. SKS makes a lot of different models and they're super easy to install, all super stable straps that make it possible to install in just a few minutes and easily pull them off when it's nice out. https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/speedrocker/

this might work? https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/veloflexx-65/

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:39 pm

lol had planned to just do a long morning recovery ride today, but on the return trip got a good tailwind, hit some lights right, found a good pack, and just buried myself on some hills

shizaam

Postby milano boy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:57 pm

Does anyone us an alternative to google maps for bike routes? Google maps took me in an absolutely heinous route on Saturday.

milano boy

Postby brittle » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:03 pm

milano boy wrote:Does anyone us an alternative to google maps for bike routes? Google maps took me in an absolutely heinous route on Saturday.

yeah, i've learned to explicitly NOT ever use google maps for cycling.

you can't use the route builder in strava with a free account anymore, but you can still see the heatmap in the map tab of the mobile version. so if you get lost, just head towards the most dense blue line that takes you the diretion you need to go.

but if you're planning a ride, you gotta either memorize before you head out or write up a cue sheet to put in your pocket (turn left at grapevine, head east for 3 miles, ect)

brittle

Postby milano boy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:04 pm

Is the route builder in strata worth paying for it?

milano boy

Postby shizaam » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:12 pm

i like to build in the free ridewithgps and just reference the strava heatmap. my other favorite thing to do is to look for promising segments near where you want to go, then check top performers on that, and then riff on those routes. have found that those are generally pretty solid, well-researched, and regularly ridden routes.

i pay for strava for other things, but route builder kinda sucks as a routing and planning tool, even on desktop.
Last edited by shizaam on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shizaam

Postby brittle » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:13 pm

nah.

i mean, if you want to get into leaderboards and tracking your fitness beyond just time and miles on bike, it's a nice ADDITION, but not worth it just for a route builder, IMO.

garmin connect route builder is still free and i imagine they have a database that's almost as robust as strava's for suggesting how to get from here to there.

my password's not working and i don't want to reset it though, so i can't offer anymore than a hunch right now¯\_(ツ)_/¯

brittle

Postby shizaam » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:14 pm

i always forget about garmin's tool, i should mess with it. kinda tempted to get a garmin — i like my wahoo a lot, but it's atrocious on tracking mountain biking accurately.

shizaam

Postby Dead_Wizard » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:15 pm

cinch cranks kinda suck huh? I never had MTB cranks loosen up this much and they creak incessantly. about to loctite this after torquing and hope they shaddup

Dead_Wizard

Postby shizaam » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:21 pm

rented one of these santa cruz tallboys last week and oh man full suspension rules (have only ever ridden hard tail)

shizaam

Postby southpaw » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:05 pm

I went on a month long roadtrip this summer and rode twice the whole time. One "serious" ride and the other a short one, and damn if it's not taking me awhile to get back to how "fit" I was early this summer.

You take being able to do 50 mile 18mph rides that you've acclimated to for granted. Have done 10 sorta lengthy rides since I've been back and finally did 50 last night at around that pace and it hurt the whole time. I'm DEAD today.

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:20 pm

Also I made a friend in town because of Strava. I'm one of those people that's always scouting the local routes and just following people who do the same routes as I do.

Anyway dude commented that we should ride together since he lives like 5 blocks away. I've always been a solo type rider and sorta hesitated initially, like, "yeah maybe sometime!"

Well I met up with him on a Sunday morning and he's super cool, just moved from Idaho basically as a climate/political evacuee. Of course all our interests are an overlapping vent diagram and his wife is cool as shit too. Be nice if there were more accessible apps to actually foster this kinda positivity.

Either way it rules and I can't wait to ride with my new biking bud on Friday. Making friends after these long ass pandemic days feels like falling in love again!

southpaw

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone