Postby glam2deaf » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 pm

That finish was superb, great watching.

glam2deaf

Postby brittle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Gonna watch it again I think

brittle

Postby brittle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:03 pm

doing this tomorrow :twisted:

i haven't done a century or climbed more than 6000 ft since last june, but i'm feeling pretty good about it.

i shaved my legs and everything

brittle

Postby gentleman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:56 pm

century with 6000 feet isnt terrible. for me, after 80-85 miles, everything starts aching. i did a very boring century a few weeks ago and shouldve taken the train back and ended up at the brewery nearby.

good luck!

gentleman

Postby shizaam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 pm

need to not sleep through my alarm for once and get out early for a ride this weekend

shizaam

Postby KPH » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm

That looks like bliss

Tejay's commitment to suffering and pain in the Tour is unsurpassedToggle Spoiler

KPH

Postby brittle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:24 pm

gentleman wrote:century with 6000 feet isnt terrible. for me, after 80-85 miles, everything starts aching. i did a very boring century a few weeks ago and shouldve taken the train back and ended up at the brewery nearby.

good luck!

yeah. i did one with almost this much climbing back in 2015 and all that really hurt was my sit-stuff. but i didn't use chamois cream back then and my bibs were super cheap.

also that one started directly into one big climb that was followed by a ton of steep ups and downs for the next 70 miles. this one is bascially over by the 90 mile mark. the final thirty is all downhill. plus i've heard that the last pass in nothing compared to the first two. i've done all of the first pass and most of the second. the first one is like a 3% average so i did most of it in my big ring.

i'm feeling good though

this is the last ride i did before i started my taper.

brittle

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:21 pm

It's not possible that Alaphilippe could do well in the gc is it? He'll die in the high mountains, right. ...he did win KOM last year, tho
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:53 am

Stage 7 : the breakout is taken back at the end of the stage, every single cycling news outlet writes an article about how breakouts are hopeless in today's cycling
Stage 8 : Thomas de Gendt breaks out in the first climb and wins the stage

jenmichaeljarre

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 am

incoherent grunting wrote:It's not possible that Alaphilippe could do well in the gc is it? He'll die in the high mountains, right. ...he did win KOM last year, tho

He doesn't have the team to support him in a col, he was pretty much alone when he broke out yesterday, which can be successful in a short climb but definitely not in a col. Also Ineos aren't even serious right now, but you can tell Geraint Thomas is in very good form by the way he got back into the peloton after his fall.

jenmichaeljarre

Postby gentleman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:01 am

jenmichaeljarre wrote:
incoherent grunting wrote:It's not possible that Alaphilippe could do well in the gc is it? He'll die in the high mountains, right. ...he did win KOM last year, tho

He doesn't have the team to support him in a col, he was pretty much alone when he broke out yesterday, which can be successful in a short climb but definitely not in a col. Also Ineos aren't even serious right now, but you can tell Geraint Thomas is in very good form by the way he got back into the peloton after his fall.

hes never been able to ride the high mountains. he's more of a short steep climber. winning king of the mountains is less about riding well in all mountains but rather about targeting specific moments of a climb to get the KOM points.

so basically, there is 0 chance alaphilippe will win. i even doubt top 10 when we get through the race.

gentleman

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:08 am

That's what I figured, but he looks so strong yet he seems to be letting de Ghent sweep up all the mountain points. I know there are 10x as many in the later stages, I just don't understand the tactics or what he's aiming for
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby gentleman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 am

there are traditional climbers that suffer tremendously on steep climbs like planche de belle filles...steven kruiswijk from jumbo visma was one. but alaphilippe wouldnt be able to ride ventoux or alpe d'huez competitively either.

gentleman

Postby Architecture » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:58 am

Kind of surprised there isn't more drone usage for the TV coverage of TDF
try the data then reply

Architecture
ok

Postby brittle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:33 pm

Didn't he win a week three, high mountains stage two or three years ago?

But even if he did, he wasn't a contender, so it doesn't say a lot I guess

brittle

Postby brittle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Fwiw, I felt strong as hell for that big ass century ride I did Saturday and turned in some great Strava times that should stand up for a bit.

brittle

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:33 pm

I am really enjoying biking, have adjusted to clipless with no problems. Did 60 miles over 2 days this weekend.

One question for the experts here: how does one go about training to get in good biking shape?

It's been an interesting feeling to be pushing as hard as I can (Strava says I can average 18mph for an hour plus and 1200 feet of climbing), yet I'm getting toasted by fat guys, old guys, and women like I'm standing still. Then I look at Strava for the segments I rode and normal people that day are averaging 20+ mph for 40+ mile rides covering the same routes.

I get that it's totally different than running shape, I would be toasting all those people if we were on foot. Biking has made exercising interesting again because now I have a lot to learn and I'm starting at the (relative) bottom.

Any guidance / pointers / links much appreciated!

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby badhat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:16 am

i had a lot of success using joe friel’s periodization system.

The Cyclist's Training Bible https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWE96CW/re ... lDbPC77T6R

the specifics change, but the gist is:

train in cycles, based on peak performance goals (a race or a century etc)

rest is as important as the workout. recovery periods (days in a week, weeks in a training blocks) are what actually make you stronger so dont neglect them or cut corners

cyclists swear by developing a “base”. the sport is a combination of long (3-5 hour in some cases) steady aerobic efforts and short repeated anerobic efforts without full recovery between them. given that, its super improtant to make your “base”- which is essentially an effort you can sustain for 2-3 hours- as fast/efficient as possible and theres no short cuts for a strong base. it requires a lot of long rides to get your body working efficiently.

so most racers who wanna be fast in the summer do big miles in winter and minimal anaerobic workouts (which are more stressful and req more recovery) and gradually transition from big miles at a steady (not easy) pace to moderate miles with structured anaerobic intervals and rest weeks every 3-4 weeks.

a lot of it is probly similar to running i imagine. but cyclists are bonkers about base miles. when i raced i rode 20hrs a week in the winter and did 10k miles a year.

the fat dudes you see probly arent doing that much but theyre probably getting out 4-5 days a week and getting in at least 2 3hour rides at a decent intensity in every week.

a lot of cyclists train with powermeters to take the guesswork out of intensity and feel during training and evaluation, incl most pros these days. its very useful but kinda pricy and i think takes the fun out of it some. i had pretty good results with zone-based heart rate monitor training. you really get to know your body when you train with HR.

also theres really something to be said for going on a demoralizingly hard group ride that kicks the shit out of you every week.

the great thing about getting fit on a bike is it happens pretty quickly. with some discipline, you’ll get 3-4 years of steady improvement before the diminishing returns kick in, and it is often tangible enough where you’ll stick in a little longer every week on that hard ride.

i found the first like 4 years (documented ITT actually) of PRs and geeking out on training and diet and bike fit and tech really really fun.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby badhat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:31 am

i also think its hilarious that i had a handful of Northern Colorado KOMs and a shitload of top 5s and i’m sure theres so many new dudes and college kids up there wondering who the fuck I am and how’d i do “Creepy Cult Climb” in 2:39?

badhat

Postby badhat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 am

fredcast wrote:
badhat wrote:i really enjoy the fredcast baiting too, and it makes me wonder about people whod rather listen to that fredcast dork bloviate than listen to these two killin it ever week.

I've never been called a bloviating dork before. Thanks!

holy shit i’m rereading/skimming the thread and just saw this
lolz

badhat

Postby shizaam » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:34 am

badhat wrote:also theres really something to be said for going on a demoralizingly hard group ride that kicks the shit out of you every week.

thanks for the post. i should also probably look into this, i've mostly been riding solo and it's always amazing how much some competition (beat someone over a hill, back to the start of a loop, etc...) helps.

shizaam

Postby badhat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:57 pm

i think if you wanna get fitter, a good balance of fun supportive rides with a pace thats challenging but sustainable (or with frequent regroups) vs the most punishing how-the-fuck-is-this-happening pro rides is really effective.

cant stress enough how satisfying it is to be able to measure your improvement every week as you get comfortable at a pace that seemed like totally not human when you start out.

badhat

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:02 pm

the hardest part for me is sustaining the training routine. At the end of last summer i was in a pretty good shape, then broke two chains in one month, which made me not want to bike anymore, then came winter, and all of a sudden it was march and i got 20 lbs fatter. Now my legs are back but i still need to lose weight, hopefully i'm going on a 1200 mile trip in 15 days so that should do it :)

jenmichaeljarre

Postby badhat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:10 pm

it actually turns out that the metabolic advantage i have that made me good at racing (and especially good at long endurancerides) is the same metabolic condition that makes me fat if i don't work out three fucking hours a day. i’m naturally really metabolically efficient. and race training made me more so. and it sucks.

badhat

Postby brittle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:14 pm

if you just want to be as fast as everyone out on the road it'll come with time.

but since you already have the engine to do some serious, focused workout from running, you can definitely take a shortcut.

but as far as structure's concerned, my plan was always something along the lines of 1 long (50-75 mile) hilly ride per week. 1 fast workout where i kept the tempo at a barely sustainable pace for 2 hours or so. and 1 shorter day where i absolutely buried myself on every hill i came across and/or did 30 second all-out efforts with a few minutes of active recovery in between. bascially, the long ride keeps your engine in shape, the fast ride keeps your force high and the hard efforts build top end strength.

and i was also commuting to the tune of another 3 hours per week, so i didn't really feel like i needed 6 daily workouts every week. if i felt strong on the commute i'd go hard and if my legs were heavy i'd just spin.

brittle

Postby brittle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:20 pm

oh also, when i first got into it, i remembered hearing/reading the phrase "suffering" a lot and decided the first step should be getting more comfortable with pain. so i'd just try and ride so hard it hurt, and keep it there, pretty much every time i went out.

turns out without realizing it, i was getting myself into pretty good shape in the process.

not sure if that's possible when you're over 30, because you can't recovery as easily, but i think that had a lot to do with getting real fast in a fairly short time.

brittle

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:40 pm

thanks for the thoughtful posts, really helpful!

it sounds almost exactly like running actually -- a tempo + long run + easy/moderate the rest of the time each week is a terrific way to get into monster shape. Wtih biking you just need to be out there a lot longer, and you *can* do so since there's not as much impact on your legs.

With running, if your easy runs are in the neighborhood of 6:00 pace (reasonable for most elites) you're still looking at only 8-12 hours of running time a week (80-120 miles per week) even at the very highest levels. You're constrained by the impact and the need to recover.

I don't have that much time to spend -- if I had time to run 5-7 hours a week I'd do that -- but it sounds like a longer ride, a ride where I hammer for a couple hours, and easy commuting a few times a week is the way to go.

I'll give it a few months and report back. :)

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby badhat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:43 pm

a thing you learn training (thats similar but distinct from running training) is to diferentiate between discomfort that you can/should just work thru and pain thats telling your body something is not right. setting that threshold in the wrong place can limit you or injure you.

and bikes are more complicated bc the biomechanics of bike fit are complicated and sometimes you have to ignore best practices in favor of listening to your body. i got a fancy pro bike fit (with lasers and sensors) before my first season as a cat3. and i spent half the season trying to tell myself i just needed to acclimate and eventually nearly quit racing over low back pain. went back to my previous fit and next season i was a beast.

badhat

Postby hand foot and mouth disease » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:35 pm

heyooo, i'm looking to upgrade to a new bike, my current bike is way too small and pretty uncomfortable to ride. i have and enjoy riding fixed gear and this is for city riding.

was looking at this https://www.cinelli-usa.com/cinelli-gazzetta-fixed-gear-free-wheel-bike-blue/ and other stuff from Wabi.

anyone have thoughts or recs?
hand foot and mouth disease

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:43 pm

oh, and one more thing... don't have a kid, it'll throw your training & riding schedule way off ;)

incoherent grunting

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....