Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby i won a contest » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:49 am

any of you guys fuck with zwift? it's been raining a ton here and parks are so jammed up all the time that mountain biking has been a chore and i feel like drivers have gotten way worse somehow now that traffic is lighter. i've been subbing in 1 or 2 indoor rides a week lately, it's not the same!

i won a contest

Postby quinine » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:32 am

being mindful of it during the off-season has made it pretty clear my recent foot pain (mostly aching thru the arch area) stems from biking. is this a common problem with a common solution? I def have a tendency to ride in higher gear than is recommended and have been trying to adjust that, but otherwise I just wear shitty street shoes on even shittier platform pedals. any suggestions on the most
impactful change I can make to help mitigate this?
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby brittle » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:51 am

Didn't even need to make it to the end of the post to know you need to get some proper bike shoes.

You don't even need clipless pedals, just something with a super rigid sole to evenly distribute your force, instead of pushing against your arch and torquing your ankle with every pedal stroke.

But you should also get some cheap clipless pedals cuz they make you soooooo much more efficient. Even if you're not interested in going fast, they make hills and starting after a red lght so much easier. You'll never go back.

brittle

Postby shizaam » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:49 pm

brittle wrote:Didn't even need to make it to the end of the post to know you need to get some proper bike shoes.

You don't even need clipless pedals, just something with a super rigid sole to evenly distribute your force, instead of pushing against your arch and torquing your ankle with every pedal stroke.

But you should also get some cheap clipless pedals cuz they make you soooooo much more efficient. Even if you're not interested in going fast, they make hills and starting after a red lght so much easier. You'll never go back.

+100

shizaam

Postby southpaw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:51 pm

Been binge eating and feeling v bad lately not riding

Not even really looking forward to riding today but must

southpaw

Postby badhat » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:00 pm

my wife is the epitome of a casual rider. she commutes a lot and rides to the farmers market or beach with me on the weekend sometimes definitely not a lycra person or anything, but i talked her into SPD shoes back when i was wearing them and she won't even get on a bike without them anymore. like she brings a change of shoes to the farmers market.

i just have nice grippy crank bros downhill pedals these days but she still rocks the keenes with SPDs everywhere we go.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby quinine » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:55 pm

thx yall. interesting, from what I've heard I thought the Popular Opinion these days is that clips are such a minor optimization they're not worth it for anyone who's not a racer, and never heard of bike shoes w/o clips

I do a lot of short rides, hopping off for errands and such and def not gonna fuss w/ changing shoes all the time so sounds like what I want is a city cycling shoe? I'm looking thru REI's selections and yeesh they are all so heinous

I actually installed flip-flop SPD pedals couple years ago but that bike got stolen before I ever got around to buying shoes to go with them. I really don't like the idea of my bike being useless if I forget my special shoes somewhere but I was pretty disappointed with the flip flops because I always had to fiddle with em to get the right side up when mounting. I figured they would be balanced so you don't have to do that, I had some crummy one-sided platform pedals before that which always managed to be facing the right way when I got on. wondering if just sticking with the platforms for now and getting some "mountain bike shoes" makes more sense for me
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby badhat » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:58 pm

theyre not that much of a performance/speed boost or anything they just provide some stability and consistency which, assuming your fit is good, is good for reducing stress.

badhat

Postby brittle » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:02 pm

https://garneau.com/us_en/urban-cycling-shoes-1487277
not exactly reccing these, but i bought a set last summer because they looked normal enough to wear out and about. but they keep me just as cool as my 300 dollar carbon fiber road shoes and they're everything i need on a MTB. also, the sole is deep enough that my cleat doesn't click and slip when i walk. that, plus the laces, plus the relatively casual look, 99/100 people who see me off the bike just think i'm eccentric about my footwear.

plus, the cleat mount is actually encased in the sole, and you have to literally cut it out with a razor blade if you want to use clipless pedals. meaning, if you get a pair like these, you won't have to worry about vestigial hardware if you stay with platforms (though your really, REALLY should try clipless-- you could probably get a set for like 10 bucks off craigslist).

brittle

Postby brittle » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:04 pm

i'll even mail you my old SPDs if you PM me your address :)

brittle

Postby southpaw » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:08 am

I forced myself out yesterday and after not riding for 10 days or so it hurt and I felt sluggish and unfit

An hour in though the magic started working

Feel very lifted and calm today, the first time in...10 days. I probably went further out than I should've but goddamn it helped

Highly recommended. Riding is like my only dependable depression salve

southpaw

Postby fraew » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:22 pm

getting out for the occasional small loop ride or TT effort up and down the street - we're limited to staying withing a 5km radius of home...

meanwhile i've been cleaning up the garage, reconfiguring my bikes etc. Feels good. Now I just need to figure out how to fix my little long-standing minor body aches.
Any body got any advice for overcoming persistent muscles tightness, sore sides etc?

fraew

Postby glam2deaf » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:59 pm

Without RVV to watch yesterday, I spent Sunday watching a curated selection of some of the best. Watched 1985 highlights, the final 90 mins of 1993 seeing Museeuw take his first Flanders win, and then finished it up with all of 2016. Never been the biggest Sagan fan, but watching the rainbow jersey go solo as Cancellara and Vanmarcke try to chase him down is perfect watching. Not quite the stunner of Gilbert's 2017 win, but I've watched that final 70km way too many times.

This lockdown is going to make me love pro cycling again I think.

glam2deaf

Postby gentleman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:05 pm

anyone get super emotional watching gilbert's rvv win? that and matty hayman at roubaix...best classics of the last decade.

maybe nibali at msr...or kwiato at msr...

gentleman

Postby glam2deaf » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:14 pm

Oh man, Gilbet's 2017 is incredible. Those last 10kms when he's absolutely on the limit asking the team car for updates. Solo win in the Belgian champ kit, pretty much perfection. Getting a little emotional thinking about it now.
Nibali's MSR is stunning for the incredible display of bike handling skill on that final descent. Each corner could've ended in disaster but he just kept on going.

glam2deaf

Postby shizaam » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:00 am

finally got a ride over an hour in this weekend. felt so good getting out to do 40 miles (rip my fitness)

shizaam

Postby kabanos » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:57 pm

i won a contest wrote:any of you guys fuck with zwift? it's been raining a ton here and parks are so jammed up all the time that mountain biking has been a chore and i feel like drivers have gotten way worse somehow now that traffic is lighter. i've been subbing in 1 or 2 indoor rides a week lately, it's not the same!

yeah, I reupped my subscription a couple weeks ago after we were made to shelter in place. It's not the same, but I load up a workout, blast some tunes on a bluetooth speaker and breathlessly scream sing my anxiety away.
kabanos

Postby shizaam » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:03 pm

shizaam

Postby glam2deaf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Oh man, I can't wait.

glam2deaf

Postby wolfie » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:47 pm

CV really has me itching to buy a bike online

Canyon endurance AL7.0

Kona Jake the Snake

Ribble GCR al or 725 steel

Do I roll straight up road with the canyon, or lean more gravel? Some of these roads around here are shit and I'm thinking something a bit heavier duty might not be a bad idea
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:47 pm

But that canyon in black is delightful
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"

wolfie

Postby KPH » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:13 pm

Well lads, at long last a dog caught me. As I always feared it happened on grade and the German Shepard came at me out of nowhere, gouging my calf. Fortunately the owner happened to be trailing behind me in his truck and intervened before things got worse. (His son apparently failed to lock the dog up)

Anyhow happy it wasn’t worse and really pissed I couldn’t finish my ride cuz it was soooooooo llovely out. Gonna file a report in case something happens with the dog again, but these folks are super poor, I don’t want them to get any hassle from the cops or a fine. I ride by all the time and have never had a problem in 7 years, irz shrug.

KPH

Postby shizaam » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:21 am

wolfie wrote:But that canyon in black is delightful

i bought a canyon inflite used a couple years ago and I love it. have done everything from century rides to cyclocross practice, and pretty much weekly (aside from lately) would do 60-80 mile Sunday rides. tossed 32s on it, and it's been no problem at all on trails i'd never take a road bike on.

shizaam

Postby KPH » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Filed a report with the po-po just so there's a record and rabies check but I insisted they not fine them, etc.

KPH

Postby badhat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:41 pm

yikes thats wild dude. glad it wasnt worse.

i’ve never had a dog bite.

i’ve had quite a few deers darting into the road and nearly hitting me. and a couple of elk.

scariest animal encounter i remember was rounding a long blind left bend on a fairly fast mountain descent and seeing a black bear chillin in the road in my lane and having to make split second descion whether to hold my line and come close to it or cross the centerline and hope there was no oncoming traffic.

went with the latter and lucked out. it was only a blackbear so probly woulda been scared off if i rode at it but glad it worked out without finding out.

badhat

Postby glam2deaf » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:15 pm

The first year I raced the Tour of New Caledonia, there was a stage where part of it was along the highway. It was all strung out single file and we were sitting probably just under 50kmh. I see something weird out of the corner of my eye but can't really do anything about it. Turns out it was a huge deer that ran across the road and tried to jump over the peloton. All we heard was the crunch of carbon, and looking back there was about a dozen riders just on the road and no deer to be seen. The rest of us just stoped all confused and pretty much agreed to neutralise the stage until we could regroup. From memory only 2 of the 12 riders were serious injured. I wish I had kept the news paper article describing a majestic beast leaping over the peloton.

glam2deaf

Postby fraew » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:13 pm

So, riding a bike inside still sucks eh?

Been trying out Zwift again the last couple days, and yeah the format has improved a bit and it's now real easy to get into racing online etc - but I still can't figure out how my virtual power numbers don't come close to my real-world numbers, despite using the same power meter!

It's uncomfortable, and I'm a pool of sweat after only 10 mins or so... I guess gradually i'll get used to it but geez, not pleasant

fraew

Postby southpaw » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:21 pm

I literally cant stand it

Bought a trainer a few years ago and sit on it once every winter and rage quit after 15 minutes

All my strava buds post their swift rides and it gets me interested but the investment involved keeps me away

That said losing fitness every winter and/or destroying your bike from grime ain't great either

southpaw

Postby KPH » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:33 pm

Dogs aside I am very much not taking it for granted that I have access to mostly lonely country roads where cows and horses outnumber cars and the occasional other cyclist. Trying to get out every other day, hoping I can keep that going.

KPH

Postby lights » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:42 pm

I dunno I kinda love riding on a trainer indoors. A very different experience from riding in the world, but it's kinda nice to not have to worry about cars or pedestrians or stop lights and just get into a good rhythm and pound it out and let your mind wander around. I don't even like doing it with music or zwift or whatever, I'm perfectly happy to just stare at a wall, empty my mind, and move my legs for a couple hours.

lights

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....