Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:02 am

so i've been biking a bit again and it's been annoying the couple times i've stopped to grab starbucks or something that i don't have pockets of any kind to carry my keys etc cause i am just wearing like athletic-style tshirts from target (phone/keys are in a pouch thing on the bike when i'm riding)

so i was thinking i should probably have a few actual cycling shirts. is this a decent brand? i don't have a ton of money so something like $18 each is probably doable https://www.nashbar.com/canari-streamli ... 6?v=969156
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby warmjets » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:08 am

badhat wrote:
warmjets wrote:i spent over an hour trying to change the tube and tire on my hybrid, still couldnt get it done lol

am i a failure? its way more difficult than it should be i feel like

its usually more about the bead of the tire than the rim. some are just super tight.

what part(s) did you get stuck on? did you use tire levers?

Yeah these are mega tight. And the tire I ordered arrived warped a little bit? I guess from sitting in a box for so long.

Getting the old tire off was a pain in the ass. But I finally did it. So then i put new tube inside the new tire and tried to put both on at the same time, but that went very poorly. I then tried to put just the tire on first, and I was able to do that, but now its on there so tight, I cannot get the tube in, or the tire off lol.

I just have a basic toolset. No tire levers. I guess I will look into that.

warmjets

Postby warmjets » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:09 am

ftr this is my first time replacing a bike tire and tube. I've been very lucky avoiding flats over the years.

warmjets

Postby badhat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:18 am

oh yeah if you don’t have levers thats step one.

get a nice set of steel core ones.

the mistake ppl make sometimes is pinching the tube with the lever but it is fairly easy to avoid once you know what yr doing.

some people get macho about changing tires without levers. i think its a baffling thing to be macho about.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby brittle » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:23 am

It sucks, even after you do it a couple hundred times.

Basically, after you have the tire and tube ready to stretch over the rim you wanna work standing, with the wheel positioned horizontal, bracing it against your body and/or thighs when need be.

Load the tube into the tire as neatly as you can
Put the tube valve in the hole in the rim
Position the valve at six o'clock into your waist and starting at the areas right below the valve, force an entire bead (stiff part of tire) into the bottom edge of the rim. It'll be tough at first but you'll get it eventually.

Now do it again with the top bead. Be careful up not let your tube get pinched between the bead and the rim. You can actually use the bead to sorta "plow" the tire out of the way. Don't give up; the last few inches will seem impossible but you'll get it eventually.

If you can't get the last section you can pry it up with paint can opener or tire lever or something, but it's so tight at that point, it seems just as hard to get something between the bead and the rim as it is to just work it, little by little with you thumbs.

I got three flats on Friday and my hands were sore all weekend from having to straight the bead over my rim so many times.

Edit: I ducking hate posting from my phone
Last edited by brittle on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

brittle

Postby badhat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:24 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:so i've been biking a bit again and it's been annoying the couple times i've stopped to grab starbucks or something that i don't have pockets of any kind to carry my keys etc cause i am just wearing like athletic-style tshirts from target (phone/keys are in a pouch thing on the bike when i'm riding)

so i was thinking i should probably have a few actual cycling shirts. is this a decent brand? i don't have a ton of money so something like $18 each is probably doable https://www.nashbar.com/canari-streamli ... 6?v=969156

yeaj this is fine.

the things to look for are

club (casual) cut vs race cut. race will be designed to fit snugly. its more comfortable for longer rides but also less... forgiving/modest if your not a twig.

and full vs partial zip. pro cuz jerseys are usually full zip which can be kind of annoying sometimes cuz the zipper can bunch at the bottom if youre leaning/crouching forward. but otoh full zip can be nice for thermoregulating on a hot day.

badhat

Postby wolfie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:28 am

I second bad hat on the steel core tire levers. I bought a cheap set, but some tires require you to put some damn stank on those levers and the little levers are too small to get a good grip on and then you're likely to rack your knuckles up on the spokes. So I bought some park tool steel ones that cost a little bit more but made the job easier.

I also bought some weird crank brothers tire lever that's supposed to be great but I haven't had a chance to use it yet so I can't speak for it

But one thing that surprised me was I was trying to be ginger about it, not going too hard with the tire. And some tires you just got to put some damn muscle into it to get the lever started moving and then it goes a lot easier all of a sudden
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"

wolfie

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:30 am

h, yeah i havea bit of a gut but obv working on that lately haha. yeah i have no idea wrt zippers, but i am definitely a Temperature Queen so maybe that would be nice. maybe i'll snag one of these and try it out and go from there
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby wolfie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:35 am

brittle wrote:.

I got three flats on Friday and my hands were sore all weekend from having to straight the bead over my rim so many times.

Three flats in one day?? God damn what were you doing
אחד

wolfie

Postby badhat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:44 am

man it happens.

some days youre out on an epic day and you just cannot fucking figure out whats causing the leak till you get home really work the tube to pinpoint it then inspect the tire and rim to find out that your rim tape wore down and theres a slightly sharp edge on the valve hole in the rim thats micropuncturing your tube.

or that theres a barely detectable bit of steel wire from a car tire radial belt embedded just so you miss it when you check for debris

or, or...

badhat

Postby brittle » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:54 am

wolfie wrote:

To and from work.

For the first one I ran over a nail. Couldn't do anything about that-- even with the best tires. But then because I didn't have a chance to go home and use a proper floor pump I couldn't get enough PSI in it so it was a little squishy for the rest of the day. About 10 minutes later I pinch flatted going over some railroad tracks. And then on the way home I hit a rock that had washed out into the road during a rainstorm the night before, and it gave me another pinch flat.

brittle

Postby boddy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:so i've been biking a bit again and it's been annoying the couple times i've stopped to grab starbucks or something that i don't have pockets of any kind to carry my keys etc cause i am just wearing like athletic-style tshirts from target (phone/keys are in a pouch thing on the bike when i'm riding)

that nashbar shirt seems fine, gotta have those pockets on the back. i'm a pretty casual rider and have scored a couple lightly used jerseys on the cheap. one from a thrift store (georgia ave bb) and the other from ebay. i don't care about stolen valor when the shirt is this cool:

boddy

Postby boddy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:12 pm

i overhauled the bottom bracket of my '74 schwinn le tour last week and just last night found a bearing while sweeping up the floor. can't remember if i double-checked the number of bearings in there or not. would prefer not have to open it up again but i'm feelin like a real idiot and i can't shake the thought

boddy

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:49 pm

I got both my cycling jerseys from a deep-discount sample rack at Sports Basement (local Bay Area chain). Both Pearl Izumi, retail $80-100, got em for $20 and $25.

It helps that I can still squeeze into a size M and don't give a shit about ugly designs

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby badhat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:20 pm

also remember that while darker colored jerseys are more forgiving of body and stains and stuff, lighter colored back, shoulders makes a big difference in stating cool in the sun.

badhat

Postby wolfie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:41 pm

brittle wrote:
wolfie wrote:

To and from work.

For the first one I ran over a nail. Couldn't do anything about that-- even with the best tires. But then because I didn't have a chance to go home and use a proper floor pump I couldn't get enough PSI in it so it was a little squishy for the rest of the day. About 10 minutes later I pinch flatted going over some railroad tracks. And then on the way home I hit a rock that had washed out into the road during a rainstorm the night before, and it gave me another pinch flat.

man i would have been steamin'
אחד

wolfie

Postby brittle » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Yeah, it fucking sucked.

Two flats back to back had always been funny, but the third one def sent over.

Kid was already in bed by the time I finally got home.

brittle

Postby brittle » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:33 pm

AND the galvanizing gel from my Park Tool patch kit had completely dried up after one use, so I grabbed my girlfriend's and hers had totally dried up too.

20 dollars worth of tubes later... :x

brittle

Postby Dead_Wizard » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:54 pm

That is so annoying. I just learned to patch and man i feel dumb not figuring this out before.

My ride out to petroglyph state park ruled. Hot air balloons, nice paths, early AM so I had it all to myself...I was disappointed in how the bike lane terminated straight into a median at one point, alas. At least the roads in NM are mostly buttery smooth. Went and scoped out cedar crest but traffic is too jacked up for that to be a pleasant ride rn.

Learned about Rohloff hubs today. What the fuck! I thought internally geared hubs maxed at 5 speeds.

Dead_Wizard

Postby Frank » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:56 pm

time to go tubeless brittle
dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby badhat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Dead_Wizard wrote:Learned about Rohloff hubs today. What the fuck! I thought internally geared hubs maxed at 5 speeds.

shimano alfine is 11 at this point and works great

badhat

Postby fraew » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:01 pm

I'm a Castelli fan when it comes to non-team cycling apparel, and some of my favorite items are from Kalf (Evans Cycle's in-house brand), and I find DHB (i.e. Wiggle / Chain Reaciton) stuff really comfy and practical

Btw if you want tyres that are easier to change - avoid wire-bead tyres and go for folding - with a little bit of force I can replace Continental folding tyres (i.e. GP 4000 mk II's) with my bare hands...

fraew

Postby fraew » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:03 pm

Btw has anybody noticed this thread has been shrinking? It was 412 pages a couple weeks ago...

fraew

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:47 pm

just boarding at lower PSI

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby badhat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:59 pm

fraew wrote:Btw has anybody noticed this thread has been shrinking? It was 412 pages a couple weeks ago...

is that metric pages?

badhat

Postby fraew » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:41 pm

I meant 812...

fraew

Postby badhat » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:10 pm

we’ve had a couple of high profile/formerly high profile posters ask to be deleted lately and that always fucks up thread length.

badhat

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:27 pm

badhat wrote:we’ve had a couple of high profile/formerly high profile posters ask to be deleted lately and that always fucks up thread length.

man I hope it wasn't jefferson zeppelin

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby brittle » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:00 pm

badhat wrote:we’ve had a couple of high profile/formerly high profile posters ask to be deleted lately and that always fucks up thread length.

But only dorks post here...

:|

brittle

Postby grammatron » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:09 pm

I was replacing the tubes in both my tires the other day after my bike sat on flats for an coupl’a years and the rubber strips around the rim that protects the tubes from the spokes were torn off in both tires. What are those called and in light of not wanting to go to the bike shop during COVID, can I just use electrical tape in there instead? Also my front tire makes a rubbery squeaking sound now.

grammatron

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....