Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby antoine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:48 am

i think also tkol underwhelmed because i fucking loved in rainbows and tkol is a much more understated record in comparison. but there's something cool and slippery about the record. def an underrated head lp.

antoine

Postby mego » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:48 am

Yeah I never got the Little By Little hate its one of my faves on the album too. The only slightly weak track on the first half is Morning Mr Magpie. 2nd half is a bit more uneven.

mego

Postby mego » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:51 am

Yeah it’s understated on the surface but quite complex structurally

mego

Postby antoine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:56 am

fuck, "give up the ghost" is so beautiful. underrated track!

antoine

Postby antoine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:00 am

the production on that track is so good. the layering of thom's vocals is just gorgeous.

antoine

Postby bluemovers » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:42 am

i'll admit to having been caught in the thrall of 'TKOL pt. 2' speculation at the time, which i think limited my enjoyment of the album early on. i've subsequently come around on a lot of it, especially after seeing them play the songs live a couple of times on that tour. having said all of that, it's still my second-to-least-favorite Head album.

bluemovers

Postby WaltonGoggins » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 pm

https://www.netflix.com/title/81110498

In a short musical film directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, Thom Yorke of Radiohead scores and stars in a mind-bending visual piece. Best played loud.

WaltonGoggins

Postby bluemovers » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:38 pm

can anyone with an apple music subscription rip that full zane lowe interview, pretty please?

bluemovers

Postby bluemovers » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:17 pm

bluemovers

Postby Grey Poupon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm

antoine wrote:the production on that track is so good. the layering of thom's vocals is just gorgeous.

one of my least fave 'head tracks
it's just too schmaltzy 'hauntingly beautiful' for me to handle
skip it usually
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby bluemovers » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:02 pm

track previews are up, if anyone’s interested

bluemovers

Postby dcm » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:05 pm

Sounds good to me. Hype

dcm

Postby chairkicker » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:37 pm

seems pretty samey. dawn chorus really is good, though. and impossible knots seems cool. i wish thom would make more of a lyrical effort lately

chairkicker

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:56 am

bluemovers wrote:ah, found it.
thanks man!
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby bluemovers » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:07 am

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/5-takeaways-from-thom-yorkes-new-album-anima/

Thom Yorke’s third solo album, ANIMA, is set to hit streaming services at midnight tonight. Produced by longtime right-hand man Nigel Godrich, the record features Yorke augmenting the spare, glitchy electronics of his previous solo work with grandiose orchestral arrangements that recall Radiohead’s most recent opus, A Moon Shaped Pool. Much of the 48-minute album is propelled by an ominous techno pulse, as Yorke’s voice floats and dances and drones high above it. ANIMA is also accompanied by a 15-minute film set to music from the album, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, which will be released on Netflix at midnight PST. Here’s what you can expect from the album and the visual.

A Thom for Peace
Yorke’s supergroup Atoms for Peace—featuring Godrich, Flea, and session percussionists Mauro Refosco and Joey Waronker—originally formed to play shows behind Yorke’s 2006 solo debut The Eraser, before releasing their one and only album, AMOK, in 2013. In some ways, ANIMA picks up where Atoms left off; the skittering drum machines and melodic basslines throughout the new LP are more reminiscent of AMOK than either of the solo records Yorke has released under his own name.

The processes behind the two albums were similar as well. AMOK saw Yorke and Godrich throwing out scraps of rhythms to inspire their collaborators, then parsing through the results to build tracks. According to a recent Yorke interview, for ANIMA, the singer sent Godrich “completely unfinished, sprawling tracks” that were then honed down to loops and samples that served as the basis for the songs. ANIMA also notably features performances by Atoms member Waronker, whose work can be heard at the end of a seven-minute song called “The Axe,” and Radiohead’s own Phil Selway, who contributes “sped up drums” to the slithering funk track “Impossible Knots.”

Dream Theater
ANIMA was teased with ads for a company called “Anima Technologies,” which purported to have developed something called a “Dream Camera” to help people retain their REM cycles. Yorke’s fixation with sleep, dreams, and the work of psychologist Carl Jung manifests in several ways throughout the new album. On the stuttering “Last I Heard (He Was Circling the Drain),” he repeats, “I woke up with a feeling that I just could not take,” before muttering out his stream of consciousness: “Taken out with the trash, swimming through the gutter, swallowed up by the city, humans the size of rats.” On “Not the News,” Yorke describes a waking horror. “Who are these people?” he yelps. And then, throughout the closing techno workout “Runawayaway,” he alternates between droning “That’s when you don’t” and “That’s when you know,” as an eerie, pitch-shifted voice intones, “This is when you know who your real friends are.”

Computers—Still Not OK!
You wouldn’t be blamed for thinking anti-computer lines like “Goddamned machinery, why don’t you speak to me?/One day I am gonna take an axe to you,” came from a parody Thom Yorke Twitter bot, but they’re actual lyrics from “The Axe,” which sees the singer once again interrogating the technologies that undergird modern society. He writes with elegance and a casual pithiness: “You bastards speak to me,” he spits. “Have you no pity? Give me a goddamned good reason not to jack it all in.” Meanwhile, the hilariously titled “I Am a Very Rude Person”—the shortest song on the album—is a carousel of politically combative Thoms, rotating as he croons about having to “destroy to create” and taking “a knife to your art.” You can practically imagine him grinning as he sings, “I’m breaking up your turntables/Now, I’m gonna watch your party die.”

Finally, Dawn Chorus
Among the numerous Radiohead songs that were assumed to be relegated to the bootleg annals, “Dawn Chorus” has always held a particular significance. It was long thought to be the official title for a song that was played during one of the band’s soundchecks in 2008. Then, in 2016, it was revealed Radiohead had formed a shell company called Dawn Chorus LLP to handle the business side of A Moon Shaped Pool, officially canonizing the phrase as Something That’s Clearly Important. Now, at long last, “Dawn Chorus” the song has arrived. It was worth the wait. Accompanied by glowing synth chords, Yorke sings almost under his breath, his low register laid bare as he alludes to a deep regret: “In the middle of the vortex, the wind picked up/Shook up the soot from the chimney pot/Into spiral patterns of you, my love.” It is the centerpiece of ANIMA, a confession that stands among the most devastating pieces of music Yorke has ever made.

Punch-Drunk Thom
ANIMA’s surreal accompanying short film includes nods to old-fashioned Hollywood musicals, avant-garde dance, and, in a lighthearted scene that sees Yorke flying over a turnstile, Looney Tunes. The 15-minute piece is billed to Oscar-nominated director Paul Thomas Anderson and Yorke, but it took a village to bring it to life. Damien Jalet, responsible for the brutally enchanting choreography of Luca Guadagnino’s Yorke-scored Suspiria remake, returns to work with the songwriter’s music once again. This time, though, the singer is among Jalet’s dancers, as is Yorke’s partner, Italian actress Dajana Roncione. Visual artist Tarik Barri, who’s been touring with Yorke, brings his technicolor projections to a dream sequence soundtracked by the album’s opener, “Traffic.”

One moving sequence in the short shows Yorke and Roncione leading each other through the streets of Prague, their limbs intertwined as “Dawn Chorus” fades into the foreground. It’s quite possibly the most intimate we’ve ever seen the singer with anyone else on camera. He looks kind of, sort of—happy. Then, the film ends just as it began, with a weary Thom on public transport, drifting off to sleep.

bluemovers

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:33 am

need this to leak today pls
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:42 pm

Zane interview was unexpectedly good
luv Thom
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby tgk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:50 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:need this to leak today pls

i hear it's leaking at midnight

tgk

Postby mego » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm

bluemovers wrote:
In some ways, ANIMA picks up where Atoms left off; the skittering drum machines and melodic basslines throughout the new LP are more reminiscent of AMOK than either of the solo records Yorke has released under his own name.

awww before i read this i was assuming it was more a continuation of TMB :cry:

mego

Postby Grand Epic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:20 pm

mego wrote:
bluemovers wrote:
In some ways, ANIMA picks up where Atoms left off; the skittering drum machines and melodic basslines throughout the new LP are more reminiscent of AMOK than either of the solo records Yorke has released under his own name.

awww before i read this i was assuming it was more a continuation of TMB :cry:

The Stereogum review says it is.

Grand Epic

Postby darger » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:26 pm

midnight in which time zone?

darger
ok

Postby bluemovers » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:13 pm

it’s up on Spotify in the UK

bluemovers

Postby bluemovers » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:26 pm

just got my WASTE download as well, should be everywhere momentarily

bluemovers

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:28 pm

was about to say it was out but i realized i still have my spotify set to JPN from something else :twisted:

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:29 pm

bluemovers wrote:just got my WASTE download as well, should be everywhere momentarily
oh shit sickkk

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:34 pm

(leak threddddd)

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:35 pm

ripersnifle

Postby bluemovers » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:44 pm

so glad “Saturdays” is on here as the second half of “Twist”.

bluemovers

Postby Beaver King » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:13 pm

Twist!

Beaver King
ok

Postby chairkicker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 pm

the axe is pretty good. the end of twist too

chairkicker

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....