Audio Gear/Software & Production Thread

Let's talk hats

Postby buboclot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:58 pm

Don't know that we've ever had a catch-all/megathread devoted to this topic area. It'd be cool to capture a mix of techniques and discoveries, gear talk, and product reviews/alerts.

I'm not sure an all-out warez thread is a great idea, but in the interest of setting it off, I'd like to share a great new synth. u-he's ACE (Any Cable Everywhere), the "easy modular synthesizer." Only have an AU version handy, so apologies to the PC crew.

rapidshare.com/files/321013914/U-he.ACE.v1.0.MAC.OSX-UNION.zip.html

buboclot

Postby Ghost Boy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:01 pm

what do you think the person who's job it was to make sure the cables looked like they were sagging properly thought about doing that job

Ghost Boy

Postby Actor Jason P » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:03 pm

I'll try this but every "modular" just ends up eating graphical cpu.

Actor Jason P

Postby catchpenny » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:04 pm

fantastic man, thanks been looking for a good start out modular. been reading this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-Synthesis-Sampling-Music-Technology/dp/0240521056/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260849678&sr=8-1 and have only had logics inbuilt stuff to play with up till now.

catchpenny

Postby cud nylon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Anyone on here use Max/MSP? I've been learning it for the past six months after being put off for so many years. I regret not getting around to it sooner.

Also, on the off chance someone on here wants to buy Ableton Live, I'm selling my copy of Live 8 + Operator and Drum Machines for $375 OBO. Since I've started using MSP I've rarely touched Ableton (and I need some extra money) but I know a lot of people around here use it or are interested.

cud nylon

Postby taargues » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

i've been trying to learn mixmeister just to make a simple mix, but whenever i fade the volume for the outro/intro it changes back to where it was when i press play to test it out :(
"in my life, oh, why do i give valuable time, to people who don't care if i live or die?"
-jesus christ

taargues

Postby buboclot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 pm

thanks again for putting this thing back together, gloom.

one cool thing about this synth in terms of cpu is that it has several different quality modes (the lowest being "draft") to help you conserve while writing. it's pretty though, so probably doesn't buck the trend you speak of.

buboclot

Postby catchpenny » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:15 pm

CudNylon wrote:Anyone on here use Max/MSP? I've been learning it for the past six months after being put off for so many years. I regret not getting around to it sooner.

Also, on the off chance someone on here wants to buy Ableton Live, I'm selling my copy of Live 8 + Operator and Drum Machines for $375 OBO. Since I've started using MSP I've rarely touched Ableton (and I need some extra money) but I know a lot of people around here use it or are interested.

you seen the new version of live has max/msp built in? pretty cool:
http://www.ableton.com/maxforlive

catchpenny

Postby cud nylon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:27 am

I beta tested it for a while. Interesting stuff. I would mostly make dummy clips to control max patches so I didn't dive in. Being able to combine Jitter with Ableton was the best part, followed by open source Pluggo. Fun tip: after the beta period ended, I modified the pluggo files so i could use them in Max. All it requires is opening the amxd file in a text editor, replace the top and bottom lines with a working maxpat code, then save it as a maxpat file. I do the same thing for any interesting M4L patches people post that I want to use.

cud nylon

Postby cud nylon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:33 am

What's the best reverb vst/au for mac? Really want something like http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD023 but so far no one has cracked it.

cud nylon

Postby withnail » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:59 pm

shit, missed this thread. made one about synthesizers.

withnail

Postby dragon jeans » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:16 pm

thx for the upload. I'm still looking for a decent, simple modular synth. Ever since I switched from Reason to Logic a while ago, I've had so much trouble coming up with something to produce simple, "rich" sounds. Back in the day, Subtractor would do the trick, but now I have a bunch of AUs that make it really difficult to do simple things. This looks pretty promising, though.

dragon jeans

Postby zutroy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:26 pm

did somebody say audio gear?

zutroy

Postby deklin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:29 pm

CudNylon wrote:What's the best reverb vst/au for mac? Really want something like http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD023 but so far no one has cracked it.

did you get that TC Electronics Reverb they released for free about 6 weeks ago? It's actually really great.
SSL X-Verb is the best I've tried, if you can get it, do!

deklin

Postby dragon jeans » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:23 pm

buboclot wrote:I'm not sure an all-out warez thread is a great idea, but in the interest of setting it off, I'd like to share a great new synth. u-he's ACE (Any Cable Everywhere), the "easy modular synthesizer." Only have an AU version handy, so apologies to the PC crew.

rapidshare.com/files/321013914/U-he.ACE.v1.0.MAC.OSX-UNION.zip.html

This thing really hits the spot. Thanks again.

dragon jeans

Postby deklin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:46 pm

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

: (
why did i not get this last night

deklin

Postby SynthesizerPatel » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Erik Cheer wrote:I'll try this but every "modular" just ends up eating graphical cpu.

the truth.

SynthesizerPatel

Postby Malcolm Money » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm really new to production and recently got NI Maschine as something to mess around with
I got absolutely zero “retail therapy” emotional boost and it absolutely confirmed that buying things is an empty and reflexive genuflection to a hyper consumerist capitalist system that has indoctrinated me.

Malcolm Money

Postby catchpenny » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:03 pm

I'm trying to find an old interview i read on a blog somewhere.

It was a producer (I thought Bruno Pronsato but maybe not) giving 15 or so tips on making music. I seem to remember one of the tips was to always add the kick drum last.

Does this ring a bell with any of you or did i make it up?

catchpenny

Postby deklin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:15 pm

that sounds like a pretty bad idea
also, Maschine rules a lot!

deklin

Postby Malcolm Money » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:25 pm

deklin wrote:that sounds like a pretty bad idea

yeah I like it a lot...super fast work flow. I haven't even started using the sampler yet

I'm also getting ready to buy some monitors and a good interface, so any step-or-two-above-budget monitor recommendations are appreciated
I got absolutely zero “retail therapy” emotional boost and it absolutely confirmed that buying things is an empty and reflexive genuflection to a hyper consumerist capitalist system that has indoctrinated me.

Malcolm Money

Postby deklin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:33 pm

yeah i barely even use the hardware, the samples are just so good, keep meaning to hook up the sequencer to things but where's the time?
i use the Behringer Truth's and yknow what, they're pretty good – it's all about the A/D converters. go for a MOTU, RME or Apogee if you can afford it. It always stings to pay loads for something that doesn't make sound, but you will definitely appreciate the quality.

I can't recommend the RME Fireface UC enough.

deklin

Postby Products7074740 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Malcolm Money wrote:
deklin wrote:that sounds like a pretty bad idea

yeah I like it a lot...super fast work flow. I haven't even started using the sampler yet

I'm also getting ready to buy some monitors and a good interface, so any step-or-two-above-budget monitor recommendations are appreciated

I've got some KRK Rokit 6's and have been happy with them. Of course the most important thing with monitors is that you get to know how they sound.

Products7074740

Postby withnail » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:49 pm

I ended up getting some regular old Kustom monitors, not the powered, studio kind. I figure if you're ever going to play live you probably can't go wrong having your own set.

withnail

Postby you're all assholes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:20 pm

deklin wrote:This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

is there any way someone can re-up this?

you're all assholes

Postby wyatt » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:24 pm

you're all assholes wrote:
deklin wrote:This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

is there any way someone can re-up this?
wyatt

Postby dragon jeans » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:07 pm

hotfile.com/dl/23585240/42915e8/U-he.ACE.v1.0.MAC.OSX-UNION.zip.html

dragon jeans

Postby dragon jeans » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:12 pm

catchpenny wrote:It was a producer (I thought Bruno Pronsato but maybe not) giving 15 or so tips on making music. I seem to remember one of the tips was to always add the kick drum last.

This explains so much.

I almost always do the kick first, though. A tune ain't shit w/o a good kick.

Also, I did almost all the synth work in this tune using that modular AU up there. Very happy w/ the tone and all that jazz:

http://soundcloud.com/olin/this-feeling-is-the-end

dragon jeans

Postby Genius Sir » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:15 pm

deklin wrote:
CudNylon wrote:What's the best reverb vst/au for mac? Really want something like http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD023 but so far no one has cracked it.

did you get that TC Electronics Reverb they released for free about 6 weeks ago? It's actually really great.
SSL X-Verb is the best I've tried, if you can get it, do!

I'm a big fan of Audioease Altiverb, admittedly I've not tried much else but I've not really needed to.
http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Altiverb/AltiverbMain.html
that's my leg not my dick

Genius Sir

Postby you're all assholes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:51 am

dragon jeans wrote:hotfile.com/dl/23585240/42915e8/U-he.ACE.v1.0.MAC.OSX-UNION.zip.html

thank you!

you're all assholes

Next

Return to The Hat Zone