Audio Gear/Software & Production Thread

Let's talk hats

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:55 pm

anyone have any thoughts on the new logic pro x update from a few months back? live loops, sampler, drum sequencer etc.

i downloaded it i'm just curious if anything is particularly cool or worth messing with

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:09 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:anyone have advice on a good vocal mic for recording? i dunno what my range is.. like $200? generally deeper vocals like joy division/magnetic fields lol

right now i have this thing https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... microphone and i feel like it kinda sucks but i also don't know how much the issue is my skills at recording/mixing/singing/whatever.

i also feel like i've totally forgotten how to mic my twin reverb so that it doesn't sound like totally tinny or muffled garbage. honestly wondering if i'd rather just start saving up and paying someone to record my shit cause it just feels like such a separate skillset from playing music, for me anyway.

A mic preamp helps a lot. Mine you i record in a town house with a twin reverb. So the volume knob is never beyond 1. I switched over to using a condenser mic and than a stereo setup of a condenser and dynamic. That made a big difference.

Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast

Postby Brevity » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:41 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:anyone have any thoughts on the new logic pro x update from a few months back? live loops, sampler, drum sequencer etc.

i downloaded it i'm just curious if anything is particularly cool or worth messing with

I haven't messed with any of the new features (although they seem cool) but it seems less buggy since the update/isn't crashing all the damn time now

Brevity

Postby Actor Jason P » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:anyone have any thoughts on the new logic pro x update from a few months back? live loops, sampler, drum sequencer etc.

I've heard good things and did the update but haven't really dug in and the new features don't really interfere with stuff I do in it

Actor Jason P

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:01 pm

got it, thanks

also anyone have a preference for a piano VST? i'm looking at pianoteq stage + native instruments noire...? trying to not spend more than $200

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Actor Jason P » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Oh I got a performance boost with it!

Actor Jason P

Postby Actor Jason P » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:got it, thanks

also anyone have a preference for a piano VST? i'm looking at pianoteq stage + native instruments noire...? trying to not spend more than $200

If you can wait for the next Arturia v collection sale they have a good one and a bunch of great synths quirky/rhodes

Actor Jason P

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:05 pm

i have the arturia wurly V which is great, looking for straight piano

also on that note, i'm kind of a rookie with midi controllers - my alesis midi keyboard has the first two octaves that work, then the middle 2-3 don't do anything, then the top octave works. is there something obvious i'm missing to make the whole keyboard work, or is this is a hardware problem, or is this just how midi controllers are?

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:30 am

That's really odd. It sounds like an issue with the keyboard. I'd honestly call up Alesis if you haven't sorted it out already. It could be a simple issue with the settings or perhaps an actual issue with the keyboard

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby jubjub » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:51 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:hey i want to connect my funkbox drum machine iphone app through my scarlett 2i4 interface to record in garageband/logic

do i have to get an iRig type thing or is there something easier i'm missing?

wait i realized this might be backwards. any idea what i need here?

Hey friend, was thinking about downloading funkbox; ever figure this out? Thanks!

*dammit, that was meant to be a PM
alaska wrote:what year is it at the end

jubjub

Postby rap and country » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:01 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:i have the arturia wurly V which is great, looking for straight piano

also on that note, i'm kind of a rookie with midi controllers - my alesis midi keyboard has the first two octaves that work, then the middle 2-3 don't do anything, then the top octave works. is there something obvious i'm missing to make the whole keyboard work, or is this is a hardware problem, or is this just how midi controllers are?

it's possible that the keyboard is split to different MIDI channels (for drums, etc.) but if this happens with the software set to receive all channels then yeah probably a hardware problem

rap and country
ok

Postby brittle » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:33 pm

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-drums

should i buy this?

i imagine i'd use it 50% for having fun and 50% recording solo stuff.

i don't have enough space for an actual set of electronic drums, and i'm too much of a purist to just buy and learn how to use a sequencer (plus it would sound stupid with my songs). you think it'll be fun and/or useful, or just a dumb toy i'll qucikly get sick of?

brittle

Postby Cronos » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:38 pm

brittle wrote:https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-drums

should i buy this?

i don't have enough space for an actual set of electronic drums, and i'm too much of a purist to just buy and learn how to use a sequencer (plus it would sound stupid with my songs). you think it'll be fun and/or useful, or just a dumb toy i'll qucikly get sick of?

I bought this for my ex because she didn't have room for her drum set in our apartment and she didn't really like it and never used it. It just kind of sat around and eventually went to Good Will.
Cronos

Postby brittle » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:57 pm

Thanks.

I was kinda expecting an answer like that-- prolly why I posted before just buying it

brittle

Postby AdamThomas » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:49 pm

This might be asking a whole lot, but would anyone be willing to sit and chat with me and give me some sage advice as I dive back into recording?

I did recording 15 years ago by myself and a lot has changed. Looking for a nice fella or gal that would be willing to give me some "you definitely need this" or "don't forget these" "or "I wish I knew this when I was starting out again" etc...

I cruise around online and feel a lot of resources are for skrillex/shredders/jazon mraz folks...and I have a lot more faith the folks here are in my orbit in terms of production style/musical interests.

I have:

A windows machine
Reaper
i/o box and mics
88 key usb controller
songs

If any takers, chat with me on google chat or something over a drink. PM me if u want.

tone:sincere. Thanks.

AdamThomas

Postby bro tones » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:02 am

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/
well this is unexpected and delightful

been waiting for a comping feature since like live 6

bro tones

Postby dadrocksampler » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:28 am

yeh lol thats a good update

dadrocksampler

Postby dogshit miller » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:37 pm

wow maybe it's finally time to ditch logic

dogshit miller

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:07 pm

question re. household recording of vocals, with the backing instrumentation through headphones..

should I turn on vocal monitoring or not? regardless of whether I put effects on the chain later
go for the 80s music video one-headphone look and concentrate on my singing in the room rather than what I'm hearing in the phones?

or should I just try whatever gives me the results I'm happiest with?

I'm also trying to trick myself into getting over whatever unconscious nerves I have and projecting my full voice, best thing I've found so far is to sing "at the wall" thats a few metres away rather than concentrate on the mic but I'm open to any other this one crazy tricks n tips
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:32 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:I'm also trying to trick myself into getting over whatever unconscious nerves I have and projecting my full voice,

so i suuuck at production but this was a huge hangup for me for years, but a lot of that was me kinda trying to sing more wispy/shoegazey before i figured out i'm more of a baritone or whatever.

i USED to have way more reverb etc on my vox WHILE recording as found it really helped me (though i still had the problem of always mixing my vocals too low). Now i don't feel i NEED that as much, but i definitely still have my vox going through sends of some reverb/delay just to give me more of a sense of the atmosphere/headspace i'm going for in the song.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby dadrocksampler » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:49 pm

i like to go one ear on, one ear off and do my best. i agree adding some reverb or EQ can help me feel a bit more confident tho.

i got ableton 11 to test, its cool so far, but i haven't dug in too deep yet.

dadrocksampler

Postby bro tones » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:57 pm

hit record wrote:i like to go one ear on, one ear off and do my best. i agree adding some reverb or EQ can help me feel a bit more confident tho.

i got ableton 11 to test, its cool so far, but i haven't dug in too deep yet.

any way you can pass this along? PM if u can!

bro tones

Postby dogshit miller » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:question re. household recording of vocals, with the backing instrumentation through headphones..

should I turn on vocal monitoring or not? regardless of whether I put effects on the chain later
go for the 80s music video one-headphone look and concentrate on my singing in the room rather than what I'm hearing in the phones?

or should I just try whatever gives me the results I'm happiest with?

I'm also trying to trick myself into getting over whatever unconscious nerves I have and projecting my full voice, best thing I've found so far is to sing "at the wall" thats a few metres away rather than concentrate on the mic but I'm open to any other this one crazy tricks n tips

definitely monitor. you can play with compression and reverb on the vocal monitor to make your voice sound like it's part of the mix. i find that this generally yields more confident vocal takes.

the exception is for louder/screamier vocals, in which cases i keep the vocal monitoring pretty quiet – this tends to encourage vocalists to push their voices louder than they might otherwise feel comfortable singing in a studio setting, to try to coax out a take that sounds more like a live performance.

definitely don't keep one ear off your on your headphones, the backing track will leak into the vocal track and be annoying to deal with later.

dogshit miller

Postby brittle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:42 am

Cronos wrote:
brittle wrote:https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-drums

should i buy this?

I bought this for my ex because she didn't have room for her drum set in our apartment and she didn't really like it and never used it. It just kind of sat around and eventually went to Good Will.

but it's gonna be at least a month before i get good enough to start using them for recording.

i can play the same funky kinda four on the floor beat i figured out when i was 20, but i can't play slow and i can't get my kick foot to move independant of my right hand.

anybody got any youtube reccs for getting good fast?

brittle

Postby brittle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 am

i forgot to get a drum throne, but i'm gonna pick one up at lunch because aftera bout 3 hours, i can barely move.

brittle

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:18 pm

To get good fast start real slow and learn your fundamental chunks
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby brittle » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:28 am

finally got to the point where i played a song on drums that didn't sound like a car crash.

i had to go back and fix some fills-- and it still sounds pretty janky at times, but at least if i heard it, i wouldn't be like, "lol what the fuck is that drummer?!" tbh, drumming's probably better than the bass :?

not bad for a nights work though. its my partner's christmas present to her parents. we're gonna do Just Like Christmas over the weekend

brittle

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:11 pm

I'm going to get a new laptop but I'd like to continue using my MOTU MK3 soundcard, which is connected through FireWire. The laptop I'm looking at has USB 3.0 and one USB-C port. Is there an adaptor or cable I can get to connect this soundcard to a new Windows 10 laptop?

I'm seeing that you can find a connector for FireWire -> Thunderbolt 3 but I'm having trouble determining whether Thunderbolt 3 is the same as USB-C or totally different.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby dogshit miller » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:35 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:having trouble determining whether Thunderbolt 3 is the same as USB-C or totally different.

same connector, but not compatible unless your laptop exclusively notes that it supports t3 unfortunately

dogshit miller

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:16 pm

oh man so i'm using a friend's copy of ableton for free but tht comping thing is so huge. that was the biggest downgrade when we moved to ableton from cubase

though lately i'm leaning much more towards just recording demos at home then trying to go into a real studio for the real thing instead of trying to learn all this stuff from scratch. kinda wanna just focus on the part i'm actually good at lol
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone