Audio Gear/Software & Production Thread

Let's talk hats

Postby churrokbyme » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:11 pm

so my m-audio fastrak pro external audio interface has been pretty solid but the last official driver release was 5 years ago. They no longer support the product, and it is starting to have software compatibility issues with my operating system.

Can anyone recommend an audio interface that:
Is relatively simple
Is entry level (cheap as you can go without being shitty)
has 1/4" trs inputs and outputs
is from a company that is unlikely to stop supporting the product five years from now

What I use it for:
- Playing music and media on my pc through two rokit 5's and a rokit subwoofer

What I would like to use it for:
- I have a decent USB-C microphone, would be cool if i could plug it into that
- I have an electric violin, could be also fun if I could plug it in
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

churrokbyme

Postby Actor Jason P » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm

How cheap? I'm in the same boat and have been looking

Actor Jason P

Postby Actor Jason P » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 pm

I really want the tascam model 12 because i want to record dawless too but $600 is many dollars

Actor Jason P

Postby churrokbyme » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:50 am

wow yeah 600 is way too rich for my blood.

was think more like 200 max
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

churrokbyme

Postby dogshit miller » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:31 am

churrokbyme wrote:so my m-audio fastrak pro external audio interface has been pretty solid but the last official driver release was 5 years ago. They no longer support the product, and it is starting to have software compatibility issues with my operating system.

Can anyone recommend an audio interface that:
Is relatively simple
Is entry level (cheap as you can go without being shitty)
has 1/4" trs inputs and outputs
is from a company that is unlikely to stop supporting the product five years from now

What I use it for:
- Playing music and media on my pc through two rokit 5's and a rokit subwoofer

What I would like to use it for:
- I have a decent USB-C microphone, would be cool if i could plug it into that
- I have an electric violin, could be also fun if I could plug it in

https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-inte ... arlett-2i2

This is sort of the gold standard for entry level 2 channel interfaces. will do everything you want, except i'm not sure about the usb-c microphone. typically audio interfaces connect to mics via XLR, but there's no reason why you couldn't plug your mic into your computer and use this at the same time.

dogshit miller

Postby Actor Jason P » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:42 am

I'm only hesitating on that guy because Focusrite fucked my on my saffire

Actor Jason P

Postby Actor Jason P » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:44 am

Also that device takes xlr so it still works

Actor Jason P

Postby AdamThomas » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:57 am

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0BJZ

I have this and I've put out several #1 hits
Last edited by AdamThomas on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamThomas

Postby AdamThomas » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:58 am

lol 45 dollars now. Crazy. a lil noisy if u gotta crank up the gain for dynamic mics, but condensers its p neutral (for the price).

AdamThomas

Postby powderfinger » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:13 am

The MOTU M2/M4 are the best entry-level interfaces on the market right now IMO. Better measured performance than anything else in the price range - audiophile class DAC and ADC performance. Really, really nice build quality too. I love my M4.

powderfinger

Postby Kevin McCallister » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:21 am

I also have to buy a new audio interface since my laptop doesn't have FireWire. I tried the trick of FireWire to Thunderbolt 2 -> Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 -> USB-C port but it didn't work. I only found one post claiming it works on Windows, everybody else had success on a Macbook which makes sense since it has an actual Thunderbolt 3 port. Anyway this sucks cause I really do like my MOTU Ultralite MK3 with 8 outputs!! Now I gotta sell it and get a new one.

btw don't buy Behringer
https://clb.org.hk/content/factory-work ... conditions
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby brittle » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:36 am

You can get a focusright Scarlett 2i2bundle with a condenser mic (that's probably shit) and a copy of pro tools for like 275 of Amazon

brittle

Postby brittle » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:36 am

I was just looking because the audio quality of my presonus was finally starting to get in the way of what I want to do

brittle

Postby brittle » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:47 am

also, this is about a month old, but i showed my kid how to do simple arpeggiator stuff and we make tight little jams a few times a week.

(that last fill is probably still to this day the only thing i've ever done on drums that makes me sound like i know what i'm doing)

brittle

Postby AdamThomas » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:02 pm

brittle wrote:also, this is about a month old, but i showed my kid how to do simple arpeggiator stuff and we make tight little jams a few times a week.
[instagram[/instagram]

(that last fill is probably still to this day the only thing i've ever done on drums that makes me sound like i know what i'm doing)

<3 cool dad

AdamThomas

Postby churrokbyme » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:09 pm

love that video brittle. what's that about the ninja turtles?

churrokbyme

Postby churrokbyme » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:14 pm

still trying to decide between the three recommendations. as much as Behringer should be shit on for practices like the one exposed in the article you posted kevmac it's hard for me to imagine being able to get an ethical made audio interface - focusrite stuff is similarly made in China. I couldn't find where MOTU manufactures their products but I'm sure they use component parts from China even if they assemble here. If I could afford something made here custom or europe I would definitely go for that.

leaning towards the MOTU for the straightforward design and good customer service reviews

churrokbyme

Postby AdamThomas » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:22 pm

thanks for posting that, Kevin.

Yeah, hard to avoid at a low price-point. I try to buy everything second-hand.

AdamThomas

Postby brittle » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:24 pm

churrokbyme wrote:love that video brittle. what's that about the ninja turtles?

"dad i'm playing a ninja turtles song-- do you wanna hear it?"

:)

brittle

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:20 pm

For the record I wasn't trying to shame AdamThomas or anything, I have a few Behringer pedals myself from back in the day cause they're cheap as hell.
Behringer has other issues--- most notably their products are just cheaper made knock offs of other companies. Like, complete hardware copies, bypassing R&D, and made cheaply to be able to undercut by a good margin. They've threatened lawsuits against music review websites who have spoken out against their practices. They even posted an anti-Semitic caricature of a journalist I believe who criticized Behringer. Behringer (the dude himself) seems very edgelordy and extremely defensive, like a lower scale Elon Musk.

You're right though, ethical buying in mass production and electronics is next to impossible so I'm not passing judgment on those who buy Behringer (and there's really no harm in buying second hand Behringer products) but it's just one of those companies that I put on my personal Hard Pass list.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby AdamThomas » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:For the record I wasn't trying to shame AdamThomas or anything, I have a few Behringer pedals myself from back in the day cause they're cheap as hell.
Behringer has other issues--- most notably their products are just cheaper made knock offs of other companies. Like, complete hardware copies, bypassing R&D, and made cheaply to be able to undercut by a good margin. They've threatened lawsuits against music review websites who have spoken out against their practices. They even posted an anti-Semitic caricature of a journalist I believe who criticized Behringer. Behringer (the dude himself) seems very edgelordy and extremely defensive, like a lower scale Elon Musk.

You're right though, ethical buying in mass production and electronics is next to impossible so I'm not passing judgment on those who buy Behringer (and there's really no harm in buying second hand Behringer products) but it's just one of those companies that I put on my personal Hard Pass list.

Yeah, knew you weren't shaming. It's cool. I didn't know anything about that and getting that information out is important. :D

AdamThomas

Postby Actor Jason P » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:42 pm

All of that critique is valid except the copies. The stuff they copy is decades old, out of commission and they found a way to build them cheap again.

The thing is, they have this so streamlined now and such a team of good engineers and contacts they could be churning out really amazing, affordable novel synths. But I dunno maybe they think they found their niche

Their old stuff used to SUCK very bad.

Actor Jason P

Postby churrokbyme » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:49 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:You're right though, ethical buying in mass production and electronics is next to impossible

Yeah this gives me the blues.

I read some law review paper a few months ago that floated the idea of using blockchain to create un-corruptable tags for goods that go through complicated supply chains; facilitating the tracking of every component part so every step of the chain can be verified for fair labor conditions. seems like a cool idea, but until then I feel guilty for participating in it.

churrokbyme

Postby Wilderness » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:54 pm

The Beast wrote:The stuff they copy is decades old, out of commission and they found a way to build them cheap again

i hate posting about behringer but:

https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-clones-arturias-keystep-with-swing-midi-cv-controller-and-sequencer/

Wilderness

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:39 pm

I hate to be 'but they all do it' but given Arturia's range of softsynth clones they weren't exactly squeaky clean either

from a consumer perspective I figure fuck it just give me the goods

(me bad at ethics)
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby sunrise » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:52 pm

churrokbyme wrote:leaning towards the MOTU for the straightforward design and good customer service reviews

fwiw, i had really good customer service from focusrite recently and am very happy with the 4i4.

sunrise

Postby Actor Jason P » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:30 pm

Swelling Itching Brain wrote:I hate to be 'but they all do it' but given Arturia's range of softsynth clones they weren't exactly squeaky clean either

from a consumer perspective I figure fuck it just give me the goods

(me bad at ethics)

The thing is, we have amazing synth tech in 2021 don't make a 2600 clone make something unique and awesome

Actor Jason P

Postby Actor Jason P » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:32 pm

I should point out arturia is actually doing that but their soft synths are almost all clones

Actor Jason P

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Thu May 13, 2021 6:51 am

does anyone have any tips for mixing drum machines into more "alternative"/rock/"indie"/folk type stuff (guitars, bass, keys, vocals) as opposed to electronic or hip-hop?

i've been using the logic drum machine designer which has a ton of different styles, but every single time it's in a mix it stands out like a sore thumb and drives me nuts. can't put my finger on it.

effects to try? compression?

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby normal forest » Thu May 13, 2021 7:26 am

When I want a drum machine to sound “live” I usually put it through a guitar amp or amp sim of some kind

tape saturation can help too

normal forest

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone