Audio Gear/Software & Production Thread

Let's talk hats

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun May 30, 2021 7:36 pm

re: drum machine mixing in logic. the amp idea somehow never crossed my mind and it’s been a big help, thanks NF!

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Sun May 30, 2021 8:08 pm

Any lo-fi vocal tips n tricks?

Like I get that playing with drive and delay is the basic idea but any specific ideas anyone likes using - please, spill your secrets 😬
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Wilderness » Sun May 30, 2021 8:38 pm

depends what you mean by lo-fi

to me a lot of reverbs are maybe too pristine sounding to run as an insert for lo-fi vocals so I'd probably put the reverb on a send and desiccate it with some filters and stuff

also removing dynamic range with clipping /compression / limiting and eq-ing to be more mid-range-y

izotope has a cool mangling plugin called trash 2 which you can get for pennies a few times each year if you keep your eye on the plugin discount websites

Wilderness

Postby CHUNT » Sun May 30, 2021 8:44 pm

Lo-fi vocals = run your vocals through some pedals and a practice amp and mic with SM58, fuck with settings to taste

A good chain is handheld mic > clean boost/OD > delay > reverb > amp

Best results when amp is LOUD as fuck
Tom Waits for no man

CHUNT

Postby CHUNT » Sun May 30, 2021 8:44 pm

For more flexibility insert DI before delay and reverb effects
Tom Waits for no man

CHUNT

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 pm

anyone have tips for programming cymbal swells with a drum machine?
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:17 pm

Filter and pitch sweeps can approximate them

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:46 am

so in my long journey to get better at mixing on logic (particularly vocals), I’ve started to worry about which plugins I should not use with others.

for example, out of these plugins I use frequently, which are redundant with each other or are going to create more problems when used together on the same audio track?

-soundtoys sie-q
-izotope neutron
-izotope nectar (vox only)
-multiband compressor like waves C6
-generic logic compressor
-generic logic channel eq

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby dogshit miller » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:12 am

if you're using nectar on vox with other compression and eq plugins, you're going to be doubling down and will have to take into account their cumulative effect. i would take the nectar eq and comp settings all the way down to 0% when you're introducing new comp/eq plugins, and then slowly ease them back in until they sound good to you.

maybe the same goes for neutron, i've never used it but i assume it's a similar multi-fx plugin

dogshit miller

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:59 am

thank ya

what about sie-q and waves C6?

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby dogshit miller » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:14 am

same thing – if you're combining sie-q with another EQ or C6 with another compressor, they are going to have a cumulative effect that will likely be more pronounced than just trying to achieve a desired effect with one eq/comp

like, if you used logic's built in EQ to do a mid scoop, and then had either nectar or sie-q also scooping the mids, it would produce an additive, exaggerated effect that you might want to just harness by using a single EQ

generally having 2 eqs in one channel strip is only worthwhile if you're trying to control the freq range of a reverb or something that's getting artificially added in your signal chain (something like input->vocal EQ->reverb->lo-pass EQ to shape the reverb)

dogshit miller

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:50 am

thanks again

lifelong journey to not have my vocals sound like shit. maybe LP #7 will be slightly better on that front.

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Coca Cola » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:57 pm

izotope has a crazy bundle on sale for $50 rn btw

Coca Cola

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:03 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:thanks again

lifelong journey to not have my vocals sound like shit. maybe LP #7 will be slightly better on that front.

Half of what holds me back as a songwriter is I'm fucking terrible at tracking and EQing vocals. I really need to spend a bunch of time studying and practicing this stuff

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby dogshit miller » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:22 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:thanks again

is there a recording of another band / artist where the singer has a similar style to yours & you like the way it sounds? could be worthwhile to try to reverse-engineer the mix

dogshit miller

Postby a new dad for all » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:46 am

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:so in my long journey to get better at mixing on logic (particularly vocals), I’ve started to worry about which plugins I should not use with others.

for example, out of these plugins I use frequently, which are redundant with each other or are going to create more problems when used together on the same audio track?

-soundtoys sie-q
-izotope neutron
-izotope nectar (vox only)
-multiband compressor like waves C6
-generic logic compressor
-generic logic channel eq

You can get away with just using neutron or nectar on your vocal track and doing all the compression/eq within them, i wouldn’t use neutron and nectar together though, seems like overkill and the izotope stuff tends to be resource hogs.
Imo, whats more important is learning what each compressor or eq in the chain is doing, its common to have multiple compressors on vocal tracks for different purposes (peak limit, averaging, de-essing)..so then u can deliberately try out different set ups, like using the logic or waves compressors infront of nectar and turning off the compression inside nectar, but keeping its other effects.. but honestly, if youre using nectar/neutron.. they are pretty much designed to be one stop shops.

The Sie-q is an eq modeled after vintage gear and you can think of it as adding a “sound” or colour to your track on top of being an equalizer.. so u could add it to your chain to get “that sound” while boostin n cuttin certain frequencies, and then use the nectar parametric eq to get more surgical and cutting problem frequencies and high passing the track, like a “utility eq”.. honestly its whatever your cpu can handle, what you like to use functinally and aesthetically and what sounds good to you.

a new dad for all

Postby brittle » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:50 am

brittle wrote:
Cronos wrote:
brittle wrote:https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-drums

should i buy this?

i imagine i'd use it 50% for having fun and 50% recording solo stuff.

i don't have enough space for an actual set of electronic drums, and i'm too much of a purist to just buy and learn how to use a sequencer (plus it would sound stupid with my songs). you think it'll be fun and/or useful, or just a dumb toy i'll qucikly get sick of?

I bought this for my ex because she didn't have room for her drum set in our apartment and she didn't really like it and never used it. It just kind of sat around and eventually went to Good Will.

but it's gonna be at least a month before i get good enough to start using them for recording.

i can play the same funky kinda four on the floor beat i figured out when i was 20, but i can't play slow and i can't get my kick foot to move independant of my right hand.

anybody got any youtube reccs for getting good fast?

my snare's been going downhill for about a month now. but it's not senstive enough to register rolls as of this weekend. so i called Simmons and they're sending a new one, no questions asked. they didn't even ask for purchase confirmation.

and the crazy thing is, this is my first kit, so it's no doubt 100 percent a result of misuse from me spending six months not knowing how hard/where to hit it.

good company.

brittle

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:31 pm

vague question:

any tips or inspiration for adding interesting/outside the box mixing techniques on logic?

i have dozens of mostly instrumental tunes that are half-done but they all sound kind of stale and i want to throw on some effects or tricks that might flip some of the tracks inside out and make me approach them differently…

(for context: most of my mixing world to this point is echo, reverb, distortion, compression and core instruments are acoustic, electric, bass, keys, drum machine, vocals)

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby dogshit miller » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:33 pm

turning on surround sound mixing is fun, cuz you can enable the spatial panning interface

http://blog.dubspot.com/binaural-panning/

dogshit miller

Postby Grumby » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:44 pm

finally upgraded to ableton standard from intro, dropped the cash on it. but now i've been trying to authorize for five hours and it still won't acknowledge it on this computer. on the site it even says it's authorized. what in the fuck

i've been using the old versions for the past year because my computer is old. i went on a friends newer computer and it said it successfully authorized but still no luck here. hope their team gets back to me.
Last edited by Grumby on Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grumby

Postby Grumby » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:45 pm

you fucks, i bought your shit so i wouldn't have to deal with this kinda stuff.

Grumby

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:24 pm

https://www.musicradar.com/news/best-black-friday-music-deals

Anyone noticed any software deals too good to refuse this BF?
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Actor Jason P » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:32 pm

I'm gonna get an iZotope bundle but it's probably just ok

Actor Jason P

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 pm

I want a really good reverb plugin. What do y'all use? Little Plate is cool, but I'd like one with a good shimmer algorithm

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Actor Jason P » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:46 pm

I just use stock logic stuff but it sucks

Heard good things about the Valhalla stuff

Actor Jason P

Postby Wilderness » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:49 pm

you might want to look at this for a versatile reverb that also does shimmer:

https://www.audiority.com/shop/xenoverb/

Haven't tried it myself but loads of people rate it.

I tend to never really vibe with modulated verbs that much. Reverberate 3 has been my go-to recently. Been going down an impulse response rabbit hole. Having said all that, I might demo this new modulation-heavy algo reverb that seems to impressing folks (don't think it does shimmer specifically though):

https://www.reverbfoundry.com/tai-chi/

As for Black Friday in general, I'm going to pick up dsoniq Realphones (headphone calibration and virtual studio monitoring). Been demoing it for a while and it impressed me.

Wilderness

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:10 pm

any leads on black friday plugin deals

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Actor Jason P » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:29 pm

As mentioned I'm looking at iZotope, Arturia also has some good deals

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... es.116454/

Actor Jason P

Postby Limoges » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:43 am

Arturia are pretty generous if you’re a previous customer - the FX collection is half price at €200 right now but after I logged in it was… €69. I’m not sure if you already need to own a specific item or what but it’s worth checking if you own anything of theirs. Earlier this year I got €100 off their synth collection because I owned a chorus plug-in they gave away for free at some point lol.

Limoges

Postby Grumby » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:17 am

Grumby wrote:you fucks, i bought your shit so i wouldn't have to deal with this kinda stuff.

i take it back. ableton made it so it works so i love them now. sorry, team.

Grumby

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone