Top Chef All-Stars tonight

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby unscrambled » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:33 pm

i just watched it last month but steph was eliminated in New Orleans season in that weird moment where in final 6 the eventual winner had the worst dish of the night but had immunity and Tom like heavily implied he should give up his immunity in order not to fuck someone over lol. the guy didn't give up his immunity (duh) and that's why stephanie left. so she coulda easily been a final contender in that season.

unscrambled

Postby came to wreck » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:06 am

i forgot about all that - need to go back and rewatch. i felt like this season she started off weak but maybe she had a lack of confidence in herself and is finally gaining that and realizing her potential again or something and is now back to her true self. should be a good finale as long as the robot doesnt win - cant stand his laugh either. the cooking with no soul was a savagely good diss and felt like an accurate way to describe his food most of the time

came to wreck

Postby That Demon Life » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:25 pm

That Demon Life

Postby unscrambled » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:22 pm

aw i love melissa.

it'll be lowkey devastating if she doesn't win but yeah i agree #anyonebutbrian - that laugh is so haunting.

unscrambled

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:19 pm

wow missed all of this. didn't realize such a vibrant top chef fanbase on the board has lain dormant since 2011... the show is in such a better place now that it was then

for those who want to delve backwards: 11 (new orleans) has possibly my favorite arc in the show's history. tremendous season.

I quarantined with my folks for the past 2 weeks and watched the whole season with them. Melissa all the way. she wasn't quite ready to win her first time around, but this is her time. the lobster wonton she made for the art movement challenge might be the dish of the season

I understand why Bryan keeps coming back... he's trying to close the door on a decade of being one of the best chefs to not win (and perhaps the best technical chef to not win), having placed 2nd twice, once to his brother. that's some haunting shit. personally, I'm lukewarm on Bryan's style. at this point, a lot of what he does is hardly new. if anything, it's kinda stodgy. that being said, he's probably the chef who fights to keep the food in the competition elevated. obviously California style cuisine can be complex, but I find that a lot of top chef contestants have a hard time differentiating between simple and minimal when it comes to farm-to-table cooking. ymmv

variegated reality wrote:I've found every finale to be disappointing. Even if the person I'm rooting for wins!

absolutely. top chef is a journey not a destination show for me

I feel like the quality of actual cooking had slipped the previous 2 seasons, so it was nice to see chefs bringing it this season. they had a hard time filling out a full roster though... jamie had no business being brought back imo

but you know what? I would have said the same about stephanie, and she's been such a pleasant surprise. it took time, but top chef casting has struck a nice balance between fairly established chefs and smaller names. and more importantly, it picks chefs with the technical skills who have spent their careers executing other people's visions and puts them in a position to apply those experiences to a more personal vision. top chef realizing its value as an incubator is what has kept it fresh and unpredictable

anyways, enough rambling

finale tonight! go Melissa!
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby bluemovers » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:20 pm

if someone can up this to the DB asap tonight i'd very much appreciate it! #teammelissa over here.

bluemovers

Postby unscrambled » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:42 pm

:D

unscrambled

Postby unscrambled » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:42 pm

oh, to make an italian butcher cry

yay for melissa!!!!!!!!!Toggle Spoiler

unscrambled

Postby bluemovers » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:01 am

it sucks that bryan remains a bridesmaid on his third go around, but this was so clearly a coronation for melissa and i am here for it

bluemovers

Postby guidance » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:12 am

scrambled wrote:

:D

bryan truly is a robot, huh

guidance

Postby dreamshake » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:45 am

scrambled wrote:i just watched it last month but steph was eliminated in New Orleans season in that weird moment where in final 6 the eventual winner had the worst dish of the night but had immunity and Tom like heavily implied he should give up his immunity in order not to fuck someone over lol. the guy didn't give up his immunity (duh) and that's why stephanie left. so she coulda easily been a final contender in that season.

yeah i hated this dude but it led to my favorite line in top chef ever. jacques pepin asking the guy "do you think you should resign?" my wife and I figure out ways to work it into our conversations.

woohoo mellissa :awful:Toggle Spoiler
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby came to wreck » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:35 pm

finally watched the finale.that was awesome. the fact that it was so close made the win even greater. i was gonna be very upset if melissa didn't end up winning after seeing the 3 meals. steph lost it in round 3 and melissa's was overall way more innovative and brilliant than brian's. the butcher crying was crazyToggle Spoiler

came to wreck

Postby virtuous » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:01 pm

That butcher was great but he has to be a prime milkshake duck candidate.
virtuous

Postby came to wreck » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:02 pm

i had to google what that meant just now but you may be right, although i really hope youre not

came to wreck

Postby virtuous » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Oh I hope I’m very wrong.
virtuous

Postby murderhorn » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:10 pm

recently watched the ep from season 5 (NYC) where they cater an AIDS charity event and the guests vote for their favourite dish by pinning an AIDS ribbon to that chef's station

murderhorn

Postby dcm » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:56 am

I'm not reading anything itt until I finish, but going through this season on the db and just needed a place to vent that they sent Jen home before Malarkey and Lee Anne!!!!

Edit - fuck, malarkey and Lee Anne did well on the team challenge. About to lose two of my faves :(

dcm

Postby dcm » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:46 am

Gregory :( :( :( :(

Really, *really* wanted it to come down to him and Melissa.

Don't think tv has fucked me up this bad since Oberyn got his head done in.

dcm

Postby dcm » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:43 pm

This was a great season. Does anyone have access to any to any other seasons (I've never seen New Orleans and would definitely love to revisit the OG all stars)?

dcm

Postby branzino » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:39 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:wow missed all of this. didn't realize such a vibrant top chef fanbase on the board has lain dormant since 2011... the show is in such a better place now that it was then

for those who want to delve backwards: 11 (new orleans) has possibly my favorite arc in the show's history. tremendous season.

Is this in reference to Shirley? Or Nick's clear quality increase when he isn't stressed the fuck out? Or Nina's massively impressive consistency? Or (the winner of LCK)'s insane run?Toggle Spoiler

What other seasons should I get down on? I've seen New Orleans, Charleston, Denver, California, LA (but not this most recent one)...there might be others but I can't remember. Was Kentucky good?
Last edited by branzino on Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

branzino

Postby dcm » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:42 pm

Vegas, and would definitely watch the most recent

dcm

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:56 pm

variegated reality wrote:
landspeedrecord wrote:wow missed all of this. didn't realize such a vibrant top chef fanbase on the board has lain dormant since 2011... the show is in such a better place now that it was then

Is this in reference to Shirley? Or Nick's clear quality increase when he isn't stressed the fuck out? Or Nina's massively impressive consistency? Or (the winner of LCK)'s insane run?

What other seasons should I get down on? I've seen New Orleans, Charleston, Denver, California, LA (but not this most recent one)...there might be others but I can't remember. Was Kentucky good?

shirley, of course

the way she found the confidence in her heritage, melding the european techniques she mastered while executing other chef's dishes to chinese cuisine, was pretty cool

the producers clearly felt the same way, they've tried and replicate her arc every season since, to... varying degrees of success
Toggle Spoiler

landspeedrecord

Postby branzino » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:45 pm

It was interesting going from unknowingly eating at Shirley'sToggle Spoiler restaurant to watching Charleston and then New Orleans when comes to Shirley's overall arc. Watching Charleston my wife and I were like...wait we've had those dumplings before. It was also really sweet to see the way she and Emeril had formed a bond during New Orleans.Toggle Spoiler

branzino

Postby murderhorn » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:04 am

yes Shirley the best

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:08 am

I got to the episode of season 13 in California where they have to cook for the "beefsteak" and none of the contestants know what that is but the judges all judge as if it's self-evident or at least universally understood and they all get criticised for making the kind of food they would get criticised for not making in any other challenge.

murderhorn

Postby neely o'hara » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:50 pm

all seasons are on peacock :o

i'm watching season 4 - such a classic cast. it's funny to see the "high-end" food trends of 10+ years ago - wow, grapes and taleggio!

neely o'hara

Postby landspeedrecord » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:00 pm

taleggio doesn't get enough shine imo

landspeedrecord

Postby neely o'hara » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:29 pm

there's nothing WRONG with it

neely o'hara

Postby Alexis » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:15 pm

hell yeah excited for this

Alexis

Postby guidance » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:30 pm