Gotta 3 tap tower for xmas:

WOOOT!!!

No more switching lines backnforth

Weizenbock & Belgian Dubbel on tap now.
"You dumb piece of shit" - Erik Cheer
Turner_Brown

Postby grammatron » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:45 pm

That's awesome.

I'm reading Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing right now and i'm dying to get a few beers going.
grammatron

Postby Turner_Brown » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:54 pm

grammatron wrote:That's awesome.

I'm reading Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing right now and i'm dying to get a few beers going.

I hoping to get some feedback from him regarding my 2 current beers on Thursday. I got the scoresheet back from a contest I entered my pumpkin ale in awhile back. He was one of the judges, gave me the best score of the 4 that tried it.
Turner_Brown

Postby kristop » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:08 pm

i really want to start brewing again. can't get ingredients in canada though :(
kristop

Postby TRASHBOY » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:05 pm

We've got Marty Nichols coming down to our homebrew club's february meeting, isn't he one of the founding members of your club Turner?

also, I'm expecting all three of those taps to be full and ready when I come up next month. I'll be bringing our Naughty Goose clone and having ppl do a blind taste test. There will be a test that follows so take notes.
TRASHBOY

Postby HUMANIMAL » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:08 pm

that fucking rules! how much does a thing like that cost?
HUMANIMAL

Postby evil olive » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Things I picked up this Christmas:

cooler for mash tun: Image

A bazooka screen for my brew kettle: Image

I am pretty jealous of that kegging/ tap set up Turner. I need a bigger house before I start kegging though.
listen,
evil olive

Postby evil olive » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:56 pm

kristop wrote:i really want to start brewing again. can't get ingredients in canada though :(

If i live in tiny Prince Rupert and can source ingredients surely you can find things in Edmonton Kris.

I found this on a homebrew site I post on::
In Edmonton there is only one place. Winning Wines -Southside Brew Crew. Luckily it seems really good compared to other resources in other towns.

There are a number of Winning Wines but the Southside is the only decent one for Beer. Andrew is very good at ordering things in. Is hooked up with the Edmonton Homebrewers Guild (10% off for EHG members). Gets in kegging equipment every once and a while. Wyeast orders every couple of months that get styrofoamed/icepacked to the store. I ordered a Boh Lager Smackpack from them last month they phoned me up on Dec. 21 to pick it up when I went and got it said "production Date December 17, 2008" on it. Now that's fresh. And for $8.99 cdn that's a really good deal.

Their specialty grain selection has been wanting a bit of late. But maybe that's me getting more esoteric or the worldwide grain shortage. Also took a long time to get my bulk grain and it was kinda expensive $69.99 for a sack of Wyermann Pilsner. Still that could be that shortage again. And although I can buy sacks of grain for alot cheaper I can't get shipped any cheaper in the end.

Anywhere else in Edmonton you just get kits and a blank stare if you ask for hops.
listen,
evil olive

Postby grammatron » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:30 pm

So as I mentioned, I've been reading Mosher's Radical Brewing, and there are a lot of great looking recipes in here. I'm going to brew this one up within the next month or so to have nice and ready by summer.

Summer Ale, What-If Version
All-grain recipe:
6.0 lbs Marris Otter pale ale malt
2.0 lbs Pilsner malt
1.0 lbs malted wheat
1.0 lbs unrefined sugar, added to kettle

2.5 oz Fuggles hops @ 60 min
2.0 oz East Kent Goldings @ 5 min
.25 oz crushed coriander @ 5 min
.25 oz candied ginger @ 5 min

I'm not quite at all-grain yet, but it shouldn't be too hard to convert this to a mini-mash.

He's got a Belgian IPA recipe in here too that sounds great. Several IPA recipes, actually. IPAs are kind of my spring beer, so I may whip one of these up too. My last IPA tastes great, but it's way overcarbonated.

Third, I've got an idea for a strong "Mexican hot chocolate" style stout that I might go ahead and brew relatively soon to let it age until next Christmas. We'll see.
grammatron

Postby Turner_Brown » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:34 pm

grammatron wrote:So as I mentioned, I've been reading Mosher's Radical Brewing, and there are a lot of great looking recipes in here. I'm going to brew this one up within the next month or so to have nice and ready by summer.

Summer Ale, What-If Version
All-grain recipe:
6.0 lbs Marris Otter pale ale malt
2.0 lbs Pilsner malt
1.0 lbs malted wheat
1.0 lbs unrefined sugar, added to kettle

2.5 oz Fuggles hops @ 60 min
2.0 oz East Kent Goldings @ 5 min
.25 oz crushed coriander @ 5 min
.25 oz candied ginger @ 5 min

I'm not quite at all-grain yet, but it shouldn't be too hard to convert this to a mini-mash.

He's got a Belgian IPA recipe in here too that sounds great. Several IPA recipes, actually. IPAs are kind of my spring beer, so I may whip one of these up too. My last IPA tastes great, but it's way overcarbonated.

Third, I've got an idea for a strong "Mexican hot chocolate" style stout that I might go ahead and brew relatively soon to let it age until next Christmas. We'll see.

I just got an email from him...he's organizing a Bigfoot vertical tonight (going back to at least 1999). Pretty excited for that.
Turner_Brown

Postby grammatron » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Awesome. Tell him I'm enjoying his book.
grammatron

Postby kristop » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:49 pm

evil olive wrote:
kristop wrote:i really want to start brewing again. can't get ingredients in canada though :(

If i live in tiny Prince Rupert and can source ingredients surely you can find things in Edmonton Kris.

I found this on a homebrew site I post on::
In Edmonton there is only one place. Winning Wines -Southside Brew Crew. Luckily it seems really good compared to other resources in other towns.

There are a number of Winning Wines but the Southside is the only decent one for Beer. Andrew is very good at ordering things in. Is hooked up with the Edmonton Homebrewers Guild (10% off for EHG members). Gets in kegging equipment every once and a while. Wyeast orders every couple of months that get styrofoamed/icepacked to the store. I ordered a Boh Lager Smackpack from them last month they phoned me up on Dec. 21 to pick it up when I went and got it said "production Date December 17, 2008" on it. Now that's fresh. And for $8.99 cdn that's a really good deal.

Their specialty grain selection has been wanting a bit of late. But maybe that's me getting more esoteric or the worldwide grain shortage. Also took a long time to get my bulk grain and it was kinda expensive $69.99 for a sack of Wyermann Pilsner. Still that could be that shortage again. And although I can buy sacks of grain for alot cheaper I can't get shipped any cheaper in the end.

Anywhere else in Edmonton you just get kits and a blank stare if you ask for hops.

Maybe if you are in the EHG they are better, but I was there once and they didn't have very much for grains/malts at all. I took I think 10 different recipes in that I wanted to maybe try and couldn't put a single one together. The guy there told me I should try get stuff online, but there isn't anything online to order from. There is actually a better store in Edmonton called Cap N Cork, but again, couldn't put together all the ingredients for any single recipe.
kristop

Postby lights » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:56 pm

I know this was all in the last thread, but I didn't take any of it down and now it's gone forever.. I'm basically trying to decide whether with my next paycheck I want to buy a banjo or start brewing. I've never brewed anything before, but I've wanted to for a really long time. So basically a couple resources on materials I'd need to start, typical materials needed to brew, and other intro-info are what I'm looking for. If y'all can point me in that direction I'd appreciate it.
lights

Postby evil olive » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:57 pm

That is too bad.

Shopping online is tough. I've pieced together a few things from a few websites. Ordering from the US is usually a pain because most ship UPS, then you have to exorbitant customs broker fees to get it across the border. If you find a place that will ship USPS you can avoid those fees.

As well it is tough to order online if you are just starting out because you might be unsure of what you need. Some bigger places sell 'kits'. Austin Home Brew and Morebeer.com do.

I've ordered online through these places. They are in Canada:

www.homebrew-supplies.ca
www.expertbrewers.com

The latter has a 'going out of business sale' so its pretty cheap right now.
listen,
evil olive

Postby kristop » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:08 pm

I know, I've looked at ordering but to no avail. There is a place in Vancouver that looked really promising, until you get to the part where they say they don't ship. In town only! Thanks for the links, I'll check them out, it's really hard to find Canadian sites.
kristop

Postby grammatron » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:18 pm

lights wrote:I know this was all in the last thread, but I didn't take any of it down and now it's gone forever.. I'm basically trying to decide whether with my next paycheck I want to buy a banjo or start brewing. I've never brewed anything before, but I've wanted to for a really long time. So basically a couple resources on materials I'd need to start, typical materials needed to brew, and other intro-info are what I'm looking for. If y'all can point me in that direction I'd appreciate it.

Browse the homebrewtalk.com forums for a bit. Several of us post there occasionally, and probably more than that lurk. There's a ton of great info there, and we've all learned from that site.

What equipment you need sort of depends on how much you want to throw yourself into the hobby. You can dip your toe in, ease in, or cannonball right into the deep end. It's sort of up to you and how much money you want to drop from the start. A reasonable beginner's kit will probably cost you 100-130 bucks, give or take, and if you don't have a decent sized stock pot, you can look at dropping a little more cash on that. That's just the equipment, not ingredients, and that's for indoor, stove-top brewing. Going all-grain and getting outdoors with it requires a little more of an investment, but Turner would be better to advise on that.

I learned a lot from John Palmer's How to Brew, and basically the whole book is online at http://www.howtobrew.com.
grammatron

Postby vibracobra » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:52 pm

I'd also recommend Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Just started it myself, though I've been extract brewing for a couple of years.

It's a little corny, but a good overview of the "science" involved and how to get from start to finish without ruining everything.
vibracobra

Postby kit fox » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Has anybody used White Labs London Ale yeast? I've got a red ale going with it right now that smelled a little funky and flocculated quick, which seems to be the way this yeast goes but I cant find many reviews on it.
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby julius » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Austin homebrew is a good online homebrew supply store. I just updated my kit. I decided to put off the leap from
until I make the leap from apartment living to a house. I just opened a two year old cyser I made with raisins and Ginger. So good and real easy to make.
michael wrote:yeah i only learned about germany in a father to son sit down on my 18th birthday
julius

Postby TRASHBOY » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:21 pm

vibracobra wrote:I'd also recommend Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Just started it myself, though I've been extract brewing for a couple of years.

It's a little corny, but a good overview of the "science" involved and how to get from start to finish without ruining everything.

Yes, great place to start.

I just got my hands on an old fridge for free so as soon as things melt enough to get my trailer out of the machine shed, I'll be building a 4 tap system for the basement. So excited to finally be moving to kegs.
TRASHBOY

Postby TRASHBOY » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:25 pm

kit fox war tribe wrote:Has anybody used White Labs London Ale yeast? I've got a red ale going with it right now that smelled a little funky and flocculated quick, which seems to be the way this yeast goes but I cant find many reviews on it.

I've used it a few times and have some saved in my club's yeast bank (which happens to be stored at my house) and have never had any problems with it. I want to say it's a slow starter but off the top of my head I might be confusing that with Scottish Ale.
TRASHBOY

Postby TRASHBOY » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Sitting down to enjoy the Cherry Stout we brewed 10 months ago. cherries were from our own tree. this stuff keeps getting better with age.

good stuff
TRASHBOY

Postby grammatron » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Nice!
grammatron

Postby TRASHBOY » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:39 pm

grammatron wrote:Nice!

the head was over the top of the glass when I poured it... shit looked beautiful but by the time I could go grab the camera it made it's way down to where you see it in the pic.
TRASHBOY

Postby Turner_Brown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:40 pm

TRASHBOY wrote:

the head was over the top of the glass when I poured it... shit looked beautiful but by the time I could go grab the camera it made it's way down to where you see it in the pic.

...good stuff. Nice tart cherry finish.
Turner_Brown

Postby TRASHBOY » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Turner_Brown wrote:
TRASHBOY wrote:

...good stuff. Nice tart cherry finish.

yeah, found another case in the back of our beer bunker. I'm gonna bring some along for the Super Bowl along with our recent brown ale which we're also pretty satisfied with.
TRASHBOY

Postby Turner_Brown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:47 pm

TRASHBOY wrote:yeah, found another case in the back of our beer bunker. I'm gonna bring some along for the Super Bowl along with our recent brown ale which we're also pretty satisfied with.

Sweet. I still have a little dubbel left and a lot of weizenbock
Turner_Brown

Postby grammatron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Brewed that Summer Ale I posted upthread today. Here's the recipe I ended up using:

3.25 lbs Marris Otter
2 lb Pilsner malt
1 lb wheat
1 lb turbinado sugar
2 lbs light DME

1 oz Magnum hops (1 hour)
2 oz Kent Goldings (5 minutes)
.25 oz crushed coriander (5 minutes)
.25 oz crystalized ginger (5 minutes)
1 tsp orange zest (5 minutes)

It was the closest to an all-grain batch I've done. And at this point I'm pretty sure doing bigger-grain-bill batches as a mini mash is more difficult and less efficient than all-grain. I just wish I could pull together the scratch for the rest of the equipment I need. Batch sparging (I accidentally typed barge spatching at first) 6 lbs of grains with a fucking pot full of water and a big spoon while the grains sit in a colander on top of the kettle (and in two batches, since the colander isn't big enough for all of it at once) is a big pain in my ass.

But anyway, it was a breeze overall. Good day.
grammatron

Postby grammatron » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:57 pm

Hey guys, do any of you have experience oak aging a beer? I'm brewing a big stout (an imperial mexican hot chocolate stout...chocolate stout w/ cinnamon and cayenne pepper) that I want to oak. The guy at the brew store basically said I could do it one of two ways: I could do it short term in the secondary, or transfer from the secondary to another carboy and do it long term. So, like, if I do it in the secondary, I need to start tasting it after like 2 weeks and then bottle it when it tastes right. As time goes on, it will get too "woody", but if I'm going long-term, that it will mellow back out.

So my initial plan was to go long term (I was thinking of this as a beer for next xmas). I'm wondering what you guys think.
grammatron

Postby Turner_Brown » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Everything I've heard about using fresh oak cubes in the 2ndary is that it goes really fast...like 5 days max. There is a good podcast "Jamil Show" about the topic. They talk about soaking the fresh oak chips in hot water to take some of the edge off before using them.
Turner_Brown

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....