Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby wario lopez » Fri May 25, 2018 6:06 pm

they didn't list any water adjustments, so i emailed and am seeking clarification on that. but i'm gonna give it a go this weekend with 1318 because that's what i have on hand.
✧・゚:*☆*・゜゚・*(っ◕‿◕)っ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗლ(๏‿๏ ლ)*・゜゚・*☆*:・゚✧
wario lopez
ok

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 pm

What brewery is it?
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby wario lopez » Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 pm

henhouse
wario lopez
ok

Postby wario lopez » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 pm

gonna be kegging that oatmeal porter this weekend, also got some of henhouse's ipa recipes, so i'll be trying to brew those soon. some of the astringency from my last ipa settled out to the point it's almost gone so i wonder if it was just hop polyphenol. either way, gonna back off on the gypsum next time around and focus predominantly on CaCl additions.
wario lopez
ok

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Nice, let us know how the oatmeal porter comes out.

I bought a 25gal Colkegan whiskey barrel here in Santa Fe that I'm going to bring back to LA and fill with a collaborative wheatwine I'm brewing with my buddy Phil. Pretty psyched about that.

Also decided I'm going to brew up a patersbier and then use the cake to ferment a big-ish dubbel for the winter.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby wario lopez » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:41 pm

so i just translated one of henhouse's double ipas into beersmith. they dry hop at a rate of 3.3 lbs/bbl which is equivalent to 1.7 oz/gallon, about 10 oz total for a 6 gallon batch. :)

i emailed back to clarify why the CTZ addition is 0 lbs. i assume they are just targeting 25 ibu with it.
wario lopez
ok

Postby shankly » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:53 pm

wario lopez wrote:yeah brut ipas have been popping up left and right here. they're pretty sparkling.

LOL one of my local breweries (Aslin) did a "brut IPA"...but it just seems like they took one of their normal NE IPAs and conditioned it on grapes. maybe the enzyme (if they even used it--the description just talks about the grapes and how many times it was dry-hopped) makes it drier than normal, but breweries that make their money on haze cans seem to have a really tough time selling a clear beer.

i think that's my least favorite part of the beer industry these days--take a style that you've never even brewed before, then put "your own spin on it" by throwing in a bunch of adjuncts and dry-hopping the hell out if it
shankly

Postby deadwolfbones » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Just made a snap decision to do a traditional Westy 12 clone on that patersbier cake instead of a dubbel. Hell yeah.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:20 pm

Cracked a couple of my super lazy man's ciders (with "apple crisp" dry hops) and it's surprisingly awesome. I carbed it real high in Belgian bottles and it's super refreshing.

The dark rye mild is also coming along, but I have this feeling it's going to be a lot better after another month or so in the bottle.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:44 am

deadwolfbones wrote:Nice, let us know how the oatmeal porter comes out.

I bought a 25gal Colkegan whiskey barrel here in Santa Fe that I'm going to bring back to LA and fill with a collaborative wheatwine I'm brewing with my buddy Phil. Pretty psyched about that.

Also decided I'm going to brew up a patersbier and then use the cake to ferment a big-ish dubbel for the winter.

I've been idly curious about barrelling on a homebrew level. Is it ideal to fill most of the barrel in one go? Does the amount in it even matter? I had the idea that they should be fairly full in my head (I remember reading about other people with barrels partnering up and having marathon brew sessions), but that could be old brewer's tales.

I've been ramping up the fermentation temps on a Belgian strong blonde these last few days and it is a banana bomb every time I open my fermenting fridge. I think I'll bottle this one to sit on a little while and use the fridge and keg for something else.
WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:46 am

Also: what have you guys been fermenting in? I've got a few big mouth bubblers that are showing their age and might pick up something else.
WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby ecto » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:49 am

6.5 gal glass carboys

i have a plastic bucket that i plan on using for lagering at some point because it fits in a minifridge i have.
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen
ecto

Postby wario lopez » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:33 pm

currently using better bottles, but will likely upgrade soon in the future. tentatively considering 2 spiedels, one for clean beer and one for sour primary, and some glass vessels for sour aging.
wario lopez
ok

Postby wario lopez » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:53 pm

whoa, just tried that tonsmiere cryo hop ipa recipe i brewed tonight and it's really peaking, all the astringency is gone, and it ended up with a pretty smooth mouthfeel. i wonder if it was just the cryo hop needing to condition out from the keg hop. there are posts in this reddit thread from today that would suggest that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/8oje68/hopping_at_cloudwaters_level/

i think i should just be giving my keg hop beers more time to condition. coincidentally, this week's brulosophy podcast is about astringency.
wario lopez
ok

Postby wario lopez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:39 pm

getting my sour culture started this weekend, gonna bring a big yeast starter to a sante adairius bottle share and collect dregs. got a few bottles of this to pour in there.
Side Project’s Cory King and the brewers here at SARA chose several strains from East Coast Yeast, in addition to both breweries respective house cultures, and elected to ferment individual barrels with each, with the ultimate goal of blending the entirety into a final, mature, bottle conditioned Saison. The result is wonderfully complex and the perfect illustration of the shared philosophy between both us and Side Project
wario lopez
ok

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Awesome. After a couple clean brews, I plan to use that barrel I got for a solera. Phil and I each have pretty powerful sour cultures going, so I think we're going to blend them and do a yearly brew.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:42 pm

WHITEBOYWASTED wrote:I've been idly curious about barrelling on a homebrew level. Is it ideal to fill most of the barrel in one go? Does the amount in it even matter? I had the idea that they should be fairly full in my head (I remember reading about other people with barrels partnering up and having marathon brew sessions), but that could be old brewer's tales.

From my understanding they should be kept completely full (to limit oxidation) and topped up with fresh wort if too much evaporates.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby wario lopez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:41 pm

the sour hour podcast has a really good episode on barrel treatment if you haven't looked into it.
wario lopez
ok

Postby wario lopez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:43 pm

oh of course it's outlined on the MTF wiki
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Barrel
Update: The lined out instructions above have sometimes been advised by winemakers, and presumably taken from their instructions [39]. Jay Goodwin from The Rare Barrel, however, reported sulfur off-flavors in beers from using too much potassium metabisulfite in their barrels. The beers needed extended aging for the sulfur to be volatilized off. Eric Salazar from New Belgium Brewing advised that they cut the potassium metabisulfite powder down to 1 ounce per 59 gallon barrel (~0.017 ounces per gallon/~0.127 grams per liter) [40], and to check the barrel once a month and change the storage solution once a month if needed [41][42]. The amount of citric acid is the same: 0.5 lb per 59 gallon barrel (1 gram per liter/0.13 ounces per gallon) [42]. Before using a barrel holding this sort of storage solution, the barrel should be intensely sprayed and rinsed (not just filled up with hot water and dumped).

Andrew Zinn from Wicked Weed reported that the recommendation above was not enough potassium metabisulfite to prevent microbial growth. They found that 0.3 grams of potassium metabisulfite per liter was the best balance between inhibiting microbial growth while limiting residual sulfur aromas in the barrel. Barrels with this holding solution have been reportedly free of microbial growth for 6+ months. Barrels are only filled with holding solution if they are going to sit for longer than a month; anything earlier than that is sulfured by burning an SO2 tab [43]. They also found that first rinsing the sediment out of barrels with cold water briefly before rinsing with hot water or steaming helps remove residual sulfur [44].

This method is not recommended by some brewers due to the residual sulfur that can be difficult to rinse from the barrel, and the over-extraction of the barrel's flavor compounds into the storage solution.
wario lopez
ok

Postby wario lopez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:47 pm

some people do recommend tartaric acid instead of citric because citric apparently can be fermented by some bugs, sustaining them. this is a good blog post on it:
https://farmhousebeerblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/01/barrel-maintenance-and-storage/
wario lopez
ok

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:21 pm

I think whiteboy was more asking about filling it with beer, not water for storage.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby wario lopez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:39 pm

oh, you're right, i misread. yea, you want it as full as possible, o2 ingress is much more of an issue in smaller barrels due to surface area which can lead to more acetobacter. some breweries top off, others just let the pellicle exclude the oxygen. i know jester king does not top off when i talked to them about their barrel management.
wario lopez
ok

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:52 pm

wario lopez wrote:oh, you're right, i misread. yea, you want it as full as possible, o2 ingress is much more of an issue in smaller barrels due to surface area which can lead to more acetobacter. some breweries top off, others just let the pellicle exclude the oxygen. i know jester king does not top off when i talked to them about their barrel management.

Yeah, I'm doing a clean beer to start, though, so I'll be topping off.

Get a load of this grainbill.

dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:55 pm

Also, here's that rye mild I did:

dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby wario lopez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:57 pm

other than my sour starter, taking a short break from brewing to build out my keezer. just picked up some new flow control intertap faucets and shanks. these things are pricy! by the time I'm done, I should be able to fit 4 taps with one dedicated sour line.

dwb, the sheer weight of that grainbill is wild.
wario lopez
ok

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:47 am

wario lopez wrote:other than my sour starter, taking a short break from brewing to build out my keezer. just picked up some new flow control intertap faucets and shanks. these things are pricy! by the time I'm done, I should be able to fit 4 taps with one dedicated sour line.

dwb, the sheer weight of that grainbill is wild.

I know, right? I can't make much more than 5 gal at a time, so it's going to be three separate brew days for me. :barney:
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby wario lopez » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:03 pm

this oatmeal porter turned out very good, no burnt flavors, really nice body from the oats. something i'd definitely brew again.
wario lopez
ok

Postby wario lopez » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:03 pm

after taking a break from brewing for the past few weeks, i brewed this recently:
https://untappd.com/b/henhouse-brewing-company-frozen-envelope/2013366

after i kill the keg, i'm gonna do some lagers, probably a german pils and a schwarzbier.
wario lopez
ok

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm

Going to finally do this patersbier on the weekend, then the belgian dark strong on the cake from that, probably in about another two weeks.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Also, we put that wheatwine in the barrel last weekend. Went great! Mild refermentation when the various batches mixed, but nothing crazy. We're going to start tasting monthly after the first month. Expecting about 6 months in the barrel, max.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....