Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 am

Brewed the Patersbier. Went well, but 3pts under so I'm going to toss some sugar in there to goose it a bit. The WLP530 took forever to take off, but it's finally getting going at around 36 hours.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:13 pm

The patersbier developed a really weird medicinal off-taste. Not band-aid, but just... odd. Like eucalyptus, maybe? It not undrinkable, but not what I wanted. So I'm not going to pitch the dark strong on that.

Went to the LHBS and they had really old 3787 (March), so the guy gave me four packs for the price of one. I'm making a starter with one pack (first starter ever!) and will just dump the other three in.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby ecto » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:08 pm

havent brewed in months. too dang hot in my house to ferment
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen
ecto

Postby ecto » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:26 pm

gonna brew an oktoberfest tomorrow i think. never done a lager before :D. how do i interpret this fermentation schedule:

Ferment in primary for 14–20 days at 52° F (11° C).
Hold a diacetyl rest for three days at 57–59° F (14–15° C).
Gradually lower to 48° F (9° C) and hold for 8 days.
Gradually lower to 33° F (1° C) and hold another 16 days.

am i supposed to be fermenting for almost two months before kegging? and racking to secondary after three weeks?
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
ecto

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Yeah, though you could just lager/secondary in the keg once primary is done (after the diacetyl rest). That's what I'd do to avoid oxidation from an extra transfer.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Just toasted 1/2lb of coconut flakes and zested 4 limes to add to the Berliner I have going. Will bottle in a couple weeks.

Also brewed the quad/Belgian dark strong on Sunday. OG around 1.095, already down to 1.010 or less. Tastes beautiful, but man it's gonna be dry as hell. I'm headed out of town in two weeks (for two weeks) and I'm gonna bottle that when I get back.

No idea what's next after that! We're probably going to be moving soon, so I'm hesitant to get anything more going.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby ecto » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:27 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:Yeah, though you could just lager/secondary in the keg once primary is done (after the diacetyl rest). That's what I'd do to avoid oxidation from an extra transfer.

this is what i was thinking because i don't have a second bucket that fits in my fermentation fridge. sounds good to me
ecto

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:41 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:Just toasted 1/2lb of coconut flakes and zested 4 limes to add to the Berliner I have going. Will bottle in a couple weeks.

Also brewed the quad/Belgian dark strong on Sunday. OG around 1.095, already down to 1.010 or less. Tastes beautiful, but man it's gonna be dry as hell. I'm headed out of town in two weeks (for two weeks) and I'm gonna bottle that when I get back.

No idea what's next after that! We're probably going to be moving soon, so I'm hesitant to get anything more going.

A lime berliner sounds great in this heat. I just moved two weeks ago and, combined with getting really awfully sick, I haven't brewed in ages. I fact, I ended up dumping probably 13 or so gallons of finished and half finished beer because (in the case of the sour I dry hopped waaaaaay too long) I missed the optimal window while I was in the hospital, I didn't much like the beer I made (roggenbier in the keg), and I just didn't feel like hauling the rest (about half a case left of a Belgian strong blonde that was...fine). That said, everything did look really tasty getting poured down the drain.

I'm finally set up at the new place and I'm eager to get going again. I've been kinda craving something piney and more hop bitter than what I've been doing for the last couple years (tired hands clones or juicy stuff), so I picked up ingredients for an earthy/piney ipa. Going to try to dry hop in the keg, which I've not done before. Maybe just a piece of non-flavored dental floss tied to a hop bag?
WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby wario lopez » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:46 pm

i use this floating diptube w/ the screen and it works perfectly with loose keg hopping. no clogged diptube and better contact with the beer.
http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/
✧・゚:*☆*・゜゚・*(っ◕‿◕)っ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗლ(๏‿๏ ლ)*・゜゚・*☆*:・゚✧
wario lopez
ok

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:46 pm

I don't keg, but when I add fruit or dry hop I usually just put it in a knotted BIAB bag weighed down with some sanitized shot glasses. Seems to work well enough.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby wario lopez » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:53 pm

wario lopez
ok

Postby wario lopez » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:18 pm

vic secret is such a great hop, probably going to make an ipa with it after these lagers finish. currently serving an idaho 7/ahtanum ipa.
wario lopez
ok

Postby brent » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 pm

ecto wrote:havent brewed in months. too dang hot in my house to ferment

do you like wyeast 3724? I love doing that one in hot months, just a simple ass 4-5% abv saison dry hopped w/saaz

I've brewed once in two years now :|
brent

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:49 pm

I think I gotta try some kveik yeast soon. Doing an IPA at 100F or whatever sounds dope as hell.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:49 am

This coconut lime Berliner is already tasting fantastic and it's only been on the coconut for a day.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:47 am

Got my water report a day too late for my piney ipa. Turns out that my new place's well water has roughly similar levels of minerals as my last place but with fairly high alkalinity (caco3 119 ppm).

I'm guessing this will have a bit of an effect on the taste of this ipa (and maybe it threw off the mash pH, which might help account for missing my og by about .01). From reading old forum posts (it's funny how often brungard shows up in threads about water--the guy who invented bru'n water seems like he'd be a bit less accessible, somehow), I can combat this by adding lactic acid to my beers that don't need such high alkalinity, which is pretty much everything I brew. I know I can dilute with RO water or try some acid malt, but a teaspoon or so of lactic acid seems like the easiest/laziest solution. This is probably the best excuse I'll have to grab that pH meter recommended up thread, too.
WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:54 pm

WHITEBOYWASTED wrote:Got my water report a day too late for my piney ipa. Turns out that my new place's well water has roughly similar levels of minerals as my last place but with fairly high alkalinity (caco3 119 ppm).

I'm guessing this will have a bit of an effect on the taste of this ipa (and maybe it threw off the mash pH, which might help account for missing my og by about .01). From reading old forum posts (it's funny how often brungard shows up in threads about water--the guy who invented bru'n water seems like he'd be a bit less accessible, somehow), I can combat this by adding lactic acid to my beers that don't need such high alkalinity, which is pretty much everything I brew. I know I can dilute with RO water or try some acid malt, but a teaspoon or so of lactic acid seems like the easiest/laziest solution. This is probably the best excuse I'll have to grab that pH meter recommended up thread, too.

I've been using water straight out of one of those machines in front of the grocery store. Supposedly it's both RO and carbon filtered, but who knows what the actual mineral content is. It SHOULD be zero, and I'm making additions with the assumption that it is, but I'm not too confident. :barney:
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Just picked up the ingredients for my next three brews: pale with homegrown centennials, saison w/ vietnamese green tea, and a pretty straightforward ESB.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Bottling that barrel-aged wheatwine next weekend. Super psyched. We're going to rack off 5 gal onto 3lb/gal of peaches, too.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:35 pm

dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby doormat » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:56 pm

haha a pound of gelato at flameout. thank you for posting that.
doormat

Postby doormat » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:58 pm

i had an ipa last month pick up an infection. it has happened every six or seven batches now. i've replaced pretty much everything in equipment-wise so i finally ditched the glass carboy i've been fermenting in for 15 years and switched to a better bottle. kept the old batch to see what would happen with it and a pellicle started to form after a couple more week. got a gluten-reduced stout in the better bottle and all is well with it. hoping the new carboy finally kills the periodic infections!
doormat

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Brewing my first beer in OR today... a pretty straight up ESB. 5lb Maris Otter, 0.4lb C75, 0.4lb C45, all Willamette hops and WY1968.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:14 pm

lol 10pts under OG and about .75g over. I guess my ESB is a Best Bitter, instead.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Been missing OGs these last five brews or so, but I don't mind as much as I used to. Did a staple of mine (modified alien church clone) with RO water and it was really, really great in the keg, so I think I'm gonna do RO for awhile. It gets annoying hooking up and taking off the charcoal filter to my sink anyway.

I think I'll do a pilsner when this keg kicks (limited to either a 5gal fermenter or 5gal keg in my temp-controlled fridge), and that ibrewweirdshit article about the Italian pils (minus the gelato) seems worth investigating. The Jamil z. Bohemian pils I made came out great, though I liked it a lot more fresh than after it was properly lagered. A dry hopped pils (as it seems the Italian variety are) sounds right up my alley.
WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:18 am

WHITEBOYWASTED wrote:Been missing OGs these last five brews or so, but I don't mind as much as I used to. Did a staple of mine (modified alien church clone) with RO water and it was really, really great in the keg, so I think I'm gonna do RO for awhile. It gets annoying hooking up and taking off the charcoal filter to my sink anyway.

I think I'll do a pilsner when this keg kicks (limited to either a 5gal fermenter or 5gal keg in my temp-controlled fridge), and that ibrewweirdshit article about the Italian pils (minus the gelato) seems worth investigating. The Jamil z. Bohemian pils I made came out great, though I liked it a lot more fresh than after it was properly lagered. A dry hopped pils (as it seems the Italian variety are) sounds right up my alley.

Yeah, I switched from my induction + 6gal kettle setup to the Robobrew on this batch and I think my boiloff is just waaaay lower than I expected. I ended up only losing .5gal from the mash and boil combined, lolz. Next one (green tea saison) should be more on the money.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby ecto » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:34 am

latest from tree house:

SNOW (Wheat Double IPA - 7.8% ABV) - Snow is a Tree House Wheat Double IPA featuring a notable percentage of wheat in the grist and a boatload of Northwest American hops. Utilizing Citra, Centennial, and Sabro in large amounts in both the kettle and the dry hop, coupled with malted white wheat in the mash, we are able to create a wonderful and singular member of the Tree House hoppy beer family! Juicy notes of tropical fruit, citrus, mango, lemon-lime, and a hint of coconut grace the palate before a wheaty and slightly doughy body provides heft and balance. Snow is unique in many ways, but also carries the grace, elegance, and balance of the more familiar entries in the Tree House line-up. We love this beer and think you will too. $4.55 / can | Limit 24 cans PP

anyone here used sabro? sounds like another great juice bomb hop
ecto

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Sabro is neomexicanus, right?
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby ecto » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:11 am

deadwolfbones wrote:Sabro is neomexicanus, right?

seems like it's from the same family, yeah.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/ ... ward-clone today's brew
ecto

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:59 pm

Sounds good! What's the reason for the salts in both the mash and the boil?
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....