Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby donna martin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:53 am

Those poor people. Glad they're okay but that just have been terrifying.

donna martin

Postby BlackSugar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 am

that's very convenient timing for the fire truck
although it woulda been funny if it had just kept going too
I come like a thousand doves

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby warmjets » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:23 am

That's insane

warmjets

Postby chowder julius » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby shankly » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:08 am

sometimes i think the H street streetcar was a conspiracy to make people oppose any future public transit investment. what a fucking waste. glad property owners along H st. got to cash in at the expense of cyclists, pedestrians, and X2 riders. i'm even a little sympathetic to people who have to drive on H st.

all that for what, a mile of track that ends in the middle of the road?
shankly

Postby warmjets » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 am

It's a joke. I hope the cyclist is OK. No one should be riding their bike down H St. It's incredibly dangerous for a variety of reasons. I don't even feel comfortable crossing the street.

warmjets

Postby blurst of times » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:32 am

yikes. i got stuck on the h street trolley tracks over the summer and very nearly wiped out in traffic. i've been terrified of biking in that area since then. it sucks, because i support the street car in principle (free public transit is generally good and there should be more of it!) but the way it's been implemented is just so dumb and counter-productive.

blurst of times
Site Admin

Postby chowder julius » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:36 am

does anyone understand why the circulators went from being $1 to free to $1 again? i know the mayor made them free and council objected to it and instituted the fee again but like... why

i have a special grudge against the circulators because although i pay for a weekly bus pass (and previously a monthly everything pass) they are somehow not part of that? and i have to pay a dollar to ride them anyway, which is ridiculous, to me

chowder julius

Postby shark week » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:40 am

shankly wrote:sometimes i think the H street streetcar was a conspiracy to make people oppose any future public transit investment. what a fucking waste. glad property owners along H st. got to cash in at the expense of cyclists, pedestrians, and X2 riders. i'm even a little sympathetic to people who have to drive on H st.

all that for what, a mile of track that ends in the middle of the road?

wasn't there some expectation that it would go all the way down to Benning Rd station?

maybe i'm making that up
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it

shark week

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:41 am

streetcars good

literally everything about the way they have done the streetcar bad

almost like when you try to expand public transit in a way that predominantly helps lower income ppl it will have no champions with power in city government and will just be left to be a classic muriel bowser/jack evans developer/rich folks moneygrab

for the record there still IS an expectation that it goes down benning all the way to oklahoma ave, which was the stated rationale for building the thing in the first place, but they haven't even done the fucking safety studies to send it across the bridge yet

https://dcstreetcar.com/planning/future-lines/benning-road-extension/

i really want to do more transpo/planning advocacy in #thistown but i feel like it is more or less hopeless in a way that feels unique to a city this rich and this small. that's not really an excuse but it's overwhelming (and i think it's telling that there isn't really a Left-leaning group working on transpo here; it's all so technocratic)

in conclusion, bring back marion barry

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby chowder julius » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:46 am

ban cars from h street imo

chowder julius

Postby dimetrodons 'r' us » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:49 am

chowder julius wrote:does anyone understand why the circulators went from being $1 to free to $1 again? i know the mayor made them free and council objected to it and instituted the fee again but like... why

i have a special grudge against the circulators because although i pay for a weekly bus pass (and previously a monthly everything pass) they are somehow not part of that? and i have to pay a dollar to ride them anyway, which is ridiculous, to me

When they made the Circulator free I figured there was no way it could last. I had the thought that maybe they should have tried the somewhat radical move of making it "payment optional." I adore the Circulator system as a concept and would have been happy to keep paying a buck per ride, though maybe it's naive to assume other people would feel similarly in sufficient enough numbers to placate the council.

It is dumb (and something I hadn't realized until your post) that weekly/monthly WMATA passes don't work on the Circulator. Since you can use Smartrip on it, it's bizarre that other forms of WMATA pre-payment can't also be honored.
For one, I don't want to be known as the guy who randomly goes around and fixes people's computers. Even though I do that.

dimetrodons 'r' us

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:54 am

circulator has always been intended as more of a tourist/quick on-and-off route than a commuter route. it barely goes EOTR. council put the fare back on because they thought making circulator free would be, in essence, a regressive tax (taking $ out of city coffers to pay for tourist/high-income ridership) and i agree with them

that being said, it is ridiculous that weekly/monthly passes don't work on it and always has been

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:56 am

that's all in a vacuum, of course. in a just world bus ridership would be free and paid for by higher taxes on the very fucking rich people who live here

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby chowder julius » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:02 am

the circulator should be free if the goal is access to public transportation for lower income individuals

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:02 am

there's also this

which is a convenient way to gouge anyone unfortunate enough to be adding money/passes to their account online that aren't available on their card until ???

chowder julius

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:03 am

incidentally wmata is having a board meeting rn. thread:

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby chowder julius » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:03 am

chowder julius wrote:the circulator should be free if the goal is access to public transportation for lower income individuals

also i would wager that more tourists use metro than the circulator. i commuted via circulator when i volunteered at the georgetown library because it was the only direct route and it was almost always packed with commuters

chowder julius

Postby lights » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:09 am

struttin' evil mushroom wrote:that's all in a vacuum, of course. in a just world bus ridership would be free and paid for by higher taxes on the very fucking rich people who live here

Yeah I can see why having just the circulator free raised some hackles, but it was disappointing to see them charge for it again precisely because it's crazy to me that there are bus fares to begin with. Charging for the metro doesn't bother me as much mostly since I don't know many people that use the metro to get around the city, it's nearly all people commuting in from MD/VA to work, but realizing these are just services that a great city should have available whether they're profitable or not and making them free across the board would be a dream.

lights

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:13 am

i agree the circulator should be free obvi.

but it isn't cut and dry that lower fares = higher ridership (which i'm using here as a proxy for access). lower fares have to happen in tandem with efforts to improve reliability (the #1 reason people don't use the bus as we are all acutely aware lmao, and this is extra true for lower-income ppl) and frequency, particularly outside of peak commuting/metrorail hours. reducing the fare without doing any of that stuff is going to make people less likely to ride because you're not doing anything to improve where the circulator goes, the frequency of route disruption (which feels like it happens whenever i ride the circ), late-night service that is extra important for service workers, etc. people consistently tell WMATA and circulator (and other transit agencies) that they'd be willing to pay a bit of a fare if the buses were more reliable and ran more often.

so if the goal is increased ridership you'd be better off taking the money you're saving on fares and putting it to improve all those things

and increasing the cost of driving (no cars on h street!)

and of course you'd be BEST off making it free and making all of the money come from taxes but let's not get carried away now.

and fwiw cities tried that in the 70s/80s and ran into political problems because you get the Library Issue of people using the bus as shelter because we treat the unhoused or the addicted like pariahs. (also, you get annoying teens being annoying teens.) and then rich people/drivers freak the fuck out. so free buses probably have to come with improved social services or else you lose the political will quickly

tldr end capitalism

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby chowder julius » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 am

do not get me started on my opinions about bus headways in this city

(you've heard them all on slack already)

chowder julius

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:22 am

exactly!

(also fwiw 50% of dupont-ross-gtown circ riders are local residents, compared to 67% for the entire circ system. source: dc circulator. U HAVE BEEN WRECKED)

(but i get what you're saying and this is why i get so frustrated -- all the obstacles i'm talking about above are basically political-will issues that require us to think about them as political-will issues, and as systemic issues of access/institutional racism/gentrification/redlining/etc., but without the political will you're nibbling at the technocratic margins by doing things like figuring out whether free fares or more accessible headways/routes are better because god forbid we raise the capital to do both)

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:24 am

I Hate Our Stupid Mayor

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby blurst of times » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am

agree that free transit isn't enough on its own but i think it's still a good starting point, because low-income people are already most likely to use public transit, so it would still be effective at improving equity, even if it wouldn't immediately increase ridership. kansas city recently made public transit free, so if they can do it i dunno why dc can't. (i mean, i know why, but in theory it should be doable.) of course ideally we should make it free and increase reliability.

i also would like to get involved with transportation advocacy but don't really know where to start

blurst of times
Site Admin

Postby bigcat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:17 pm

When circulator started charging again I was taking it regularly to Rosslyn. I didn’t know and breezed past the driver, and he acted like I was sneaking around trying to steal a ride! “Kind of a bait and switch huh?” I said. He didn’t laugh. I paid my dollar. Fin.

bigcat

Postby chowder julius » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:48 pm

man

chowder julius

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:24 pm

sheesh

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby chowder julius » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:13 am

they're closing down the smithsonian metro stop tomorrow for most of the day because our dogshit president is going to the march for life, fyi!

chowder julius

Postby donna martin » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:17 am

Do you know if trains still run through it? Just no one in and out?

donna martin

Postby chowder julius » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:19 am

yes, wmata says they'll pass thru the station

chowder julius

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....