Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby manvstrees » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:35 pm

most of the straightforward big panel superhero stuff managed to be jaw-dropping in ww as well
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:52 am

So excited for Wonder Woman.

The Green Lantern out next week too!
HotFingersClub

Postby Wombatz » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:53 am

hm, i can't decide if that's nick cave or john travolta ... mostly it's nick, but the hairline is john and often the lips and jaw flesh out suspiciously

but yes, really good, better than the first one indeed
Wombatz

Postby manvstrees » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:58 am

was thinking nick cave the entire time
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby sevenarts » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:01 am

It was nagging at me throughout, I kept thinking Benicio del Toro. Maybe Morrison and Paquette were just trying to pre-cast the movie version.
sevenarts

Postby odilon redon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:01 pm

gm green lantern predictably great
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby Wombatz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:51 pm

it's amazing how much fun he is after all these decades, especially with a new character.

if i still was kind of on the fence about the immortal hulk, it's getting more and more focused and this week was really great. travel foreman continues to not give us what we want from him but marvel knights might still be worthwhile. heroes in crisis is not bad at all (though hey finish mister miracle first before). the new world, the magic order, let's count the very uneven batman (in my minority opinion), i'm probably forgetting something but it's been some time since i was last happily following that many titles. (when will black monday murders return, coker has been posting killer pages for some time now?)
Wombatz

Postby G_S » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:55 pm

yea GL was great, especially the art. almost reminds me of Seth Fisher's on Willworld (RIP :()
G_S

Postby sevenarts » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:02 pm

I haven’t read this week’s books yet but the closing page to the last Immortal Hulk had me audibly gasping and laughing and I can’t think of many other books that so regularly do that to me. It’s a delight.

Foreman has a new cosmic DC book coming soon that I very much hope is what I want from him but Ultimates2 and Animal Man have been the only books where he’s really been able to cut loose at his full powers.
sevenarts

Postby manvstrees » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:17 am

gm totally undersold gl
hey guys im just gonna do this book about the day to day of a space cop
you fuckin mad fiend
manvstrees

Postby sevenarts » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:25 am

GL was real good. I even liked the art, and Sharp has in the past struck me as a little too much, sometimes a little stiff, but his style gelled perfectly with what Morrison was up to here. I'm excited for Morrison doing a pretty regular superhero book monthly again.
sevenarts

Postby odilon redon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:52 am

manvstrees wrote:gm totally undersold gl
hey guys im just gonna do this book about the day to day of a space cop
you fuckin mad fiend

yeah i had the exact same thought but this might just be low-key as perceived by grant morrison lol
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby Wombatz » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm

btw i've meanwhile read the lemire moon knight run because of earlier in this thread, and it's a good, satisfying story with pretty great art (especially the brilliant use of different artists for different personalities), and yet the fact that this is directly about the personality disorder very much grounds it in kitchen sink psychoanalysis and there's nothing to keep the reader bogged down like your hero constantly asking where/who am i? what is going on here? and expecting an answer ... the finale is kind of touching but also spoils all the fun, him being a responsible schizophrenic from now on. so definitely a good book in the proper graphic novel sense, but a clear two notches below moench and ellis.
Wombatz

Postby creationist » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:22 am

creationist

Postby Hal Jordan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:29 am

oh man, forcing mcfarlane to re-do liefeld's shitty feet...
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby mites » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:38 pm

tryna get a bday present for my niece (cartola's oldest) and she likes comics with black heroines but she's also like 8 (sorry cartola idk shit)

anyway is moon girl and devil dinosaur good? I like the concept and will prob DL it illegally to read tonight to check it out. also open to other suggestions!!!
mites

Postby goofjan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is good. There's a new comic out now about Shuri from Black Panther. Might be a little advanced for age 8 tho.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby mites » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:53 pm

thnk u goofjan. if I go with moon girl I'll be sure to let her know a kind soul named 'goofjan' helped me out in my time of need
mites

Postby pzadvance » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:28 pm

anyone picked up any books from this new indie publisher, Ahoy? they jam pack their issues with a main story, a backup comic, creator interviews, short stories (Grant Morrison features in a couple of the debut issues), poems, etc. I'm loving getting a single issue that I don't just devour in 15 minutes, and still for $4!

the two Tom Peyer-fronted books are the ones i've been grabbing (where i can--local shops seem to consistently get under-supplied) and really digging, especially The Wrong Earth, where a "dark & gritty" Batman-type swaps universes with his corny, silver-age doppelgänger. It's a really clever/funny look at the radical shifts in tone superhero books have experienced over the decades, and peyer has such a great ear for that 60s-era comic dialogue (he did similar stuff in his excellent Hourman series in the early aughts). great art by jamal igle as well.

the other one, High Heaven, about a guy who dies and goes to heaven only to find out that it's a sexless, bureaucratic nightmare, is also a lot of fun so far. they have two more books - one that riffs on Edgar Allen Poe stories, which seems a little slight, and one about cats in space, which I haven't sampled yet.

ImageImage
pzadvance

Postby sevenarts » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Cool, I've been wondering about those. Peyer is a really sadly underrated talent whose career never really went where it should have. Hourman and DC 2000 were fantastic.
sevenarts

Postby sevenarts » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:29 am

Mister Miracle ended really well, I loved that last issue so much. Great series.

First issue of G. Willow Wilson's Wonder Woman was pretty good, it'll be nice to have an enjoyable WW ongoing again. She's a pretty natural match for this.

Gail Simone's Domino is super-underrated I think, this last issue with the Morbius/vampire plague storyline had some really amazing, nutty, uber-pulpy moments including this wildly garish sequence where Domino lets Morbius feed on her and David Baldeon completely cuts loose with this half-sensual, half-horrific art for a couple pages.

Tony Moore on the latest Thor! I feel like I haven't seen that dude's art in forever, and it's such a pleasure. Kinda dreading Thor going back to a normal arc, Aaron has only seemed to excel lately when he's doing these one-off stories.

Anybody else read this Electric Warriors thing from DC? Steve Orlando and Travel Foreman. I felt like I walked in halfway through a really weird movie, this might as well have been written in another language for all the sense I could make of it, but oh my god there's some delightfully ridiculous digital stuff from Foreman here.
sevenarts

Postby HotFingersClub » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:16 pm

I'm quite liking Domino as well although I find Baldeon's art a little ugly at times. The stuff with Shang-Chi was really great although generally there's a bit of a sense that Simone is spinning wheels. I don't believe in her investment in these people as much as with something like Secret Six.

I'll be reading Electric Warriors in a few days. I see that Foreman is also providing art for Marvel's Daughters of the Dragon, also out this week. Not sure how that works

I generally agree about Peyer but the first issue of The Wrong Earth did nothing for me. I feel like this idea of "comics used to be lighthearted but now they're dark and gritty!" has been replayed more or less continuously since Watchmen in any remotely self-aware comic, and TWE seemed like the absolute most basic version of that idea
Last edited by HotFingersClub on Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
HotFingersClub

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:59 pm

I don't think I've had any experience with Peyer, but I've always been curious about him, mostly because of his role as the fourth man (along with Morrison, Millar, and Waid) in the Superman 2000 pitch.
reversemigraine

Postby acapelli » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:08 pm

if i didn't dislike baldeon's art so much, a domino book by gail simone sounds like

bill maher is a shithead part infinite: https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/bill-ma ... n-lee.html

“But then twenty years or so ago, something happened – adults decided they didn’t have to give up kid stuff,” he explains. “And so they pretended comic books were actually sophisticated literature. And because America has over 4,500 colleges – which means we need more professors than we have smart people – some dumb people got to be professors by writing theses with titles like Otherness and Heterodoxy in the Silver Surfer.”
acapelli

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:20 am

After the first issues of Daughters of the Dragon and Infinity Wars: Ghost Panther I am pronouncing Jed MacKay as a “talent to watch”. It feels like slim pickins from a small field right now but I think this guy’s got something
HotFingersClub

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:23 am

Electric Warriors was good as well. Took a few beats to get up to speed but I think there's a pretty simple premise under there. Earth is putting forward two champions for some kind of intergalactic gladiator battle. The main dude's brother was supposed to do it, but he knocked out his brother and took his place to keep him safeToggle Spoiler
HotFingersClub

Postby odilon redon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:58 am

anybody itt have thoughts on these new sandman universe books. i kinda want to check em out
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby HotFingersClub » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:36 pm

I'm reading Si Spurrier's The Dreaming which is quite good. Tried all the others as well but none of them stuck. I think others have been liking House of Whispers itt. None of them quite capture the magic of the original
HotFingersClub

Postby creationist » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Okay who's got a list?
creationist

Postby manvstrees » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:09 pm

definitely an xmas break operation
manvstrees

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....