Postby goofjan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:33 am

love it.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby odilon redon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:11 am

its ridiculous how long it took to fold her into the main continuity

odilon redon

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:25 pm

Got around to reading the latest issue of Grand Design and, I dunno, I almost kinda think Claremont kinda bested Piskor this time around.

I mean, I love mid-to-late '80s Uncanny, but trying to summarize Mutant Massacre and Fall of the Mutants and the Outback era and Inferno, all while trying to skirt around New Mutants and X-Factor...it's gonna get messy.

reversemigraine

Postby Wombatz » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:10 am

HotFingersClub wrote:Jed MacKay & Travel Foreman on Black Cat also pretty good, though not yet as much fun as their Daughters of the Dragon miniseries

yeah but then i suspect foreman is miscast on the black cat, who should be kind of languid and sexy and he makes her look like some uptight humorless businesswoman ... and again he doesn't do his special stuff ... otoh, tradd moore totally continues to slay, but it took cates one complete issue of exposition just to transition from the guardians to the new surfer spin-off ... since i will have to buy this for the art anyway i hope he'll come up with a story next issue ...

Wombatz

Postby HotFingersClub » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 am

Wombatz wrote:foreman is miscast on the black cat, who should be kind of languid and sexy and he makes her look like some uptight humorless businesswoman

Is true for the most part, but I think DOTD indicates that MacKay is prepared to go to some weird places, and Foreman has a lot to offer even if a more grounded series. He doesn't make Felicia look languid exactly but he definitely gives her a sense of humour

HotFingersClub

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:13 am

wait what is that silver surfer thing??
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby HotFingersClub » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:02 am

Silver Surfer: Black #1 by Donny Cates and Tradd Moore, out this week

HotFingersClub

Postby sevenarts » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Yea that looks incredible, pretty excited to leaf through it even though Cates has hardly ever wowed me. Tradd Moore can make me overlook some pretty damn uninspired writing.

sevenarts

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:20 pm

any of you nerds going to SDCC? there's a nerdy exclusive toy i'm trying to get my hands on :oops:
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby HotFingersClub » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:45 am

I'm not but I want to know what the toy is please

HotFingersClub

Postby HotFingersClub » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:47 am

sevenarts wrote:Yea that looks incredible, pretty excited to leaf through it even though Cates has hardly ever wowed me. Tradd Moore can make me overlook some pretty damn uninspired writing.

Have you read Buzzkill or The Paybacks or The Ghost Fleet? All good books

His stuff for Marvel has been more run of the mill

HotFingersClub

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:25 am

HotFingersClub wrote:I'm not but I want to know what the toy is please

so i collect vintage star wars figures, and i've generally held off on modern stuff, but they're putting out this 6" boba fett but painted like the original Kenner fett\

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby HotFingersClub » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:40 am

I admit that's not my field but he looks like a cool dude

HotFingersClub

Postby HotFingersClub » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:41 am

Does anyone know what happened to J.H. Williams III? Just realised I haven't seen any new stuff since Sandman Overture

HotFingersClub

Postby Wombatz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:52 am

according to his twitter, he's mainly listening to boutique vinyl

Wombatz

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:50 pm

finished Slott/Allred's Silver Surfer and dang if it didn't kinda get to me (i'm a totally oversensitive sap fwiw)

i know we talked about it recently but it's wild how like, i don't even really dig slott's other stuff i've read, or at least not spidey, but he totally works with allred on board

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am

Marvel was hyping a big Spider-Man announcement (that some folks thought, based on the initial advertising and an ill timed Alex Ross tweet of some art would be an adaptation of the Sam Raimi script for Spider-Man 4) and it turned out to be... JJ Abrams and his son doing a mini series.

I'm... unimpressed.
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?

buriedinspace

Postby sevenarts » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Oh my god that last issue of Immortal Hulk.

I don't know how they keep coming up with this stuff, the last few pages of this and the last image especially were just unreal good. Absolute horror that makes me cackle with delight because it's so imaginative and evocative.

sevenarts

Postby Wombatz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:56 am

yeah so good!

the miller supes year 1 left me scratching my head. he doesn't bring anything interesting to the table (except now there's a couple of goth kids hanging around), just trying to milk the old story for some tears. jrjr is so annoying here with all the saucer-eyed stares ...

probably baby supes was sent to you as a survival package for all the good old american virtues (pretty much what he was in the golden age?) ... maybe this is some sort of repentance for holy terror.

Wombatz

Postby sevenarts » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:21 am

Really not looking forward to Miller Supes, but I'm sure I'll read it. At least it's not gonna be as long as DK3 - that was torturous - and I generally like Romita Jr.

acapelli wrote:picked up the dash shaw clue comic. excited to read it

So this was reaaaaally good and fun and funny and just so playful with the imagery and the conceit.

sevenarts

Postby sevenarts » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:00 pm

I read Black Cat and Silver Surfer: Black now and yea.... one of these artists is totally wasting his unique talents. Foreman on Black Cat is just not exciting, not the kind of book I want to see him on, and nothing about the writing made me want to stick around. Foreman is still distinctive enough that there's some interest anyway but overall this was just boring. Moore on Silver Surfer on the other hand was just *thrilling* even though there's barely even a story there. I think I would have loved it even if there wasn't a single word. Pure visceral fun comics.

sevenarts

Postby reversemigraine » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:21 pm

The line for Tom King at ALA today was kinda ridiculous. Really wanted to ask him about New Gods but wasn't feeling the wait.

Gene Ha got a good chuckle out of me whipping out a copy of Morrison's Authority #1 tho.

reversemigraine

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:21 pm

how was that recent Black Bolt series? remember the art looking really good and they're coming out with a big collection of it later this year

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Drinky » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:32 pm

It was very good. Actually because of that I’ve checked out other things that writer (Saladin Ahmed) has done since, but I haven’t liked any of it as much.

Drinky

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:51 pm

nice.

dang just found out they put out a Hardcover of Tom King's Mister Miracle but it was some kinda exclusive and is now not gettable anywhere? :(

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:04 pm

OH also apparently they're collecting Morrison's stuff from Heavy Metal soon

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby sevenarts » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:56 pm

Drinky wrote:It was very good. Actually because of that I’ve checked out other things that writer (Saladin Ahmed) has done since, but I haven’t liked any of it as much.

I've had this exact same experience. Black Bolt was very very good. Everything else, eh.

I'm real glad I snagged that Mister Miracle HC from my comic shop, I thought they were bullshitting me that it was limited/exclusive but I guess not.

sevenarts

Postby manvstrees » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:OH also apparently they're collecting Morrison's stuff from Heavy Metal soon

have my wallet, gents
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Sounds like a good time to take the Morrison Batman approach and treat everything as fair game!

reversemigraine

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....