Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby MikeS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:27 am

oh I scrolled back and SAW YOU BUILT THAT. That looks fucking awesome.
MikeS

Postby loaf angel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:41 pm

hey looking for some recommendations for in-ear buds ~$200 and also some comfy over the ear cans that can be more expensive

i'm a subway / bus commuter so in theory i like the idea of something entirely wireless but I have only owned wired headphones - mainly because i feel like mid-rate cans are more expensive for the novelty/convenience of wireless and bluetooth

upon some cursory research i'm aware now that there's such thing as bluetooth DACs/amps/receivers. i've owned DACs/amps before for at home use.

this whole thing is a little daunting because the last time i was seriously shopping was before there was a huge boom in bluetooth/wireless headphones
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby forest design » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:52 pm

I have FiiO FH5s and love em - the mids are a bit emphasized out of the box, but with some EQing I've gotten them to where I really like the sound. I had Sony WF-1000XM3s for about a week, but I really didn't like them. Sound quality was decent, but they didn't get loud enough by half (an amp may have helped with that, but in terms of convenience that was a no-go).

Really curious about the Grado buds - they have 3. I love my 325s and generally trust the Grado sound, but the buds are a little pricey for a test purchase - no idea where I could try them out...

forest design

Postby internethandle » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:00 pm

go to a CANJAM, fd

internethandle
ok

Postby dvr » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm

loaf angel wrote: some comfy over the ear cans that can be more expensive

i'm a subway / bus commuter..

for over-the-ear closed headphones with decent noise isolation (without being marketed as noise isolation) i really like my Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s. more punchy than some hd 558s i have. still warm sound though and not too bassy. very comfortable.

i'm definitely a Sennheiser fanboy though.

edit: it looks like Best Buy now carries them.. $200

dvr

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:34 pm

I've had the Momentum 2.0s for about 3.5 years now and would also vouch for them. Only thing I'd say is to try them before you buy cuz they're just slightly too small on my ears and start to hurt my ears if I wear them for >2 hours (like on long flights). Also the volume adjustment notch on them works maybe half the time at this point lol, but otherwise I still love them and will rock them til they crap out

rich uncle skeleton

Postby forest design » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:59 pm

internethandle wrote:go to a CANJAM, fd

I went to a headphone fest back in like '06 or something - it was 100% crusty dudes, but it was cool

forest design

Postby peshay » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:02 pm

forest design wrote:I had Sony WF-1000XM3s for about a week, but I really didn't like them. Sound quality was decent, but they didn't get loud enough by half (an amp may have helped with that, but in terms of convenience that was a no go.

Also very disappointed with the volume on these :cry: Are wireless buds or phones capable of high volume?

peshay

Postby powderfinger » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 am

My Sony wireless headphones don't get quite loud enough for quiet recordings either. Probably a bunch of factors at play: (a) they are mass market products designed with brickwalled music in mind (b) battery life compromises (c) ANC algorithms, I'm guessing, work by combining the music signal with a signal that inverts environmental noise; to do this you need to apply a huge negative gain to the signal to create headroom for the DSP, which means you need huge positive gain on the back end and there are practical limits to how far you can go before everything sounds like mud.

powderfinger

Postby Mynx Butticus » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:41 pm

Also looking for a rec on ~$100 wireless buds or small over ears for working out/commuting. Tend to beat the shit outta my phones/take them everywhere (I've been abusing the return policy on my Koss portapros for almsot 10 years now lol) so something durable would be great.

Mynx Butticus

Postby fakename » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:06 am

Mynx Butticus wrote:Also looking for a rec on ~$100 wireless buds or small over ears for working out/commuting. Tend to beat the shit outta my phones/take them everywhere (I've been abusing the return policy on my Koss portapros for almsot 10 years now lol) so something durable would be great.

I bought these earlier this week after my cheap Anker earhook headphones got crushed in my bag.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/anker-soun ... Id=6399393

Most earbuds won't stay in my ears, so the hook is essential for running/working out. They were a bit of a splurge, since I could have rebought the non true wireless ones for $25, but I'm very happy with them so far.

fakename

Postby Big Oil » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 pm

Big Oil wrote:what's recommended in non-Apple bluetooth ear buds these days? Not looking for peak performance; I just need something for the gym/dog walking that costs less than ~$50 and produces as good a sound as possible. Amazon is brimming with third-party no-name shit and I don't trust a single one of the reviews.

Xiaomi AirDots any good?

Uh the answer to my question, I've come to learn, is FUCK NO.

I ended up buying AirDots and they are the shittiest little rage-inducing pieces of garbage imaginable. Sound sucks too.

Big Oil

Postby dcm » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:29 pm

Anyone have custom earplugs they recommend? I went to the audiologist and got some molds made but didn't want to commit hundreds of dollars to something w/o due diligence. Didn't realize the breadth of options and how crazy expensive some of them (IEM's) are.

I just want something mainly to wear to raves and clubs that won't degrade my auditory experience.

dcm

Postby Primary » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:11 pm

im looking for some decent earbuds under $100 or so, generally the kind that goes into your ear w the little rubber things dont fit me and constantly fall out. mostly looking for something for laying down (when i do this with my cans its very uncomfortable) and also running. wired is preferred but anything works. sound quality most important
so many social engagements, so little time

Primary

Postby warmjets » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 pm

finally replaced original ear pads on my MDR-V6s and now I hear more bass. just the right amount and i am very happy listening to cocteau twins on these babies right now. sounds amazing.

warmjets

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....