cars cars cars cars vroom vroom cars cars

Let's talk hats

Postby joe » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:31 pm

i should just get like a newish honda fit or something right? i've never had a car payment. i bought my 2000 accord from my parents 2-3 years ago for what the dealership would have given them (so basically nothing). it's the only car i've ever owned
User avatar

joe
 
Posts: 27447
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: snake kingdom

Postby Daft Pun » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:19 pm

i think my catalytic converter may have been stolen after reading the last page. the car is really loud, especially when first starting the engine. i've been driving it anyway for a couple weeks because i haven't had a chance to get it to the shop. hadn't noticed anything missing when i peeked under the car, but now i think i should take a closer look tomorrow.

fuck. i have full coverage auto insurance ... is this typically covered?
A I R
User avatar

Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc
 
Posts: 8406
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:05 am

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:41 pm

you know what's cool? when your battery hold-down comes loose and swings around and welds itself to the hot terminal as it shorts and melts and lights the battery on fire and melts a big hole in that and sprays acid everywhere
it's the suspense that gets me wrote:wandering around the house grunting "UUHHHHHH PUT IT ON MEEEEEHHHH"
User avatar

DasLofGang
 
Posts: 27603
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:18 am
Location: Webistics of the Past

Postby Gutslab » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:48 pm

light rail coyote wrote:currently sitting at the dealership waiting for them to run my nonexistent credit.

I only got offered 1500 for the cruze but that's actually better than I was expecting given that the turbo is shot


did you sell it? another thing to try is sites like carmax, carvana and vroom. carvana will give you an offer online and if you accept, will come to you, inspect the car and give the check if no major issues are found
User avatar

Gutslab
 
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 11:50 am
Location: the grinzler academy

Postby kit fox » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:49 pm

damn that sounds sick as hell

(sorry about your battery)
User avatar

kit fox
Mike Vance
 
Posts: 20042
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:52 pm

it could have been so much worse on so many levels so yeah i'm gonna file it under "sick as hell"
it's the suspense that gets me wrote:wandering around the house grunting "UUHHHHHH PUT IT ON MEEEEEHHHH"
User avatar

DasLofGang
 
Posts: 27603
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:18 am
Location: Webistics of the Past

Postby warmjets » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:55 pm

cars are so stupid
User avatar

warmjets
 
Posts: 11357
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:52 pm
Location: way to breathe, no breath

Postby Gutslab » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:59 pm

joe wrote:i should just get like a newish honda fit or something right? i've never had a car payment. i bought my 2000 accord from my parents 2-3 years ago for what the dealership would have given them (so basically nothing). it's the only car i've ever owned


I dont see many new fits, it got discontinued for '21 but should be able to get a nice used one for less than $18k. if you're looking to keep a car long term, I'd buy new but that's me. the redesigned '22 civics look pretty nice and I see base models for around $22-23k. other options for cheaper new cars are the hyundai accent, kia rio and chevy spark
User avatar

Gutslab
 
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 11:50 am
Location: the grinzler academy

Postby Gutslab » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Daft Pun wrote:i think my catalytic converter may have been stolen after reading the last page. the car is really loud, especially when first starting the engine. i've been driving it anyway for a couple weeks because i haven't had a chance to get it to the shop. hadn't noticed anything missing when i peeked under the car, but now i think i should take a closer look tomorrow.

fuck. i have full coverage auto insurance ... is this typically covered?


it should typically be covered if you have comprehensive insurance but have heard people paying a couple grand otherwise to replace one. they also recommend etching your VIN onto it but not sure how effective that is for recovery
User avatar

Gutslab
 
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 11:50 am
Location: the grinzler academy

Postby joe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:56 pm

Daft Pun wrote:i think my catalytic converter may have been stolen after reading the last page. the car is really loud, especially when first starting the engine. i've been driving it anyway for a couple weeks because i haven't had a chance to get it to the shop. hadn't noticed anything missing when i peeked under the car, but now i think i should take a closer look tomorrow.

fuck. i have full coverage auto insurance ... is this typically covered?


mine was covered because i have full coverage or whatever, but because they cut out so much shit it totaled the car.
User avatar

joe
 
Posts: 27447
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: snake kingdom

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:11 pm

after 12 long years i am finally back in the Evo game

feels good

Image
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
User avatar

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks
 
Posts: 90463
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby Big Oil » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:58 am

warmjets wrote:I have a 2007 Acura TSX with 215k miles on it.

Last time I had it in the shop for anything besides an oil change was 3 years ago, and they told me I should replace my timing belt. I declined and the thing has been running fine since.

It's always been in the back of my mind though and figured I'd take it in sometime this summer to get it done. But I just looked up and my model has a timing chain, not a belt and those never need to be replaced. So i'm good right?

that seems like a lot of miles without a replacement.

i needed to replace the belt on the first car i bought and they told me a failed belt was manageable but a failed chain can be catastrophic because it can damage/ruin the engine and if pieces start flying around they can damage other components. i don't know how likely those scenarios are vs something less existentially threatening to the car, but the fact that you've been driving it for 3 years without issue doesn't mean they were wrong about it needing to be replaced. it could just mean you've thus far beat whatever increasing odds of failure.
User avatar

Big Oil
 
Posts: 9352
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Postby Big Oil » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:08 am

Big Oil wrote:
Big Oil wrote:CLEAN AF HELL YES

Image

FUUUUCK.

We've driven this car a grand total of 10k miles in the 3 years we've had it and the A/C has failed three times. The first time was less than a month after driving it away from the lot -- dealer said it just needed a recharge and to replace some leaky hoses. Second time was last summer; shop tried to just recharge it and send me along, and I asked them to recheck and they said it was some bad seals. I asked them about the compressor because of all the known Honda Black Death issues with this generation of CRV, and they said the compressor looked fine. I, an idiot, just accepted this.

Last weekend I lost A/C when it was hot, then started getting bubbling noises, then Tuesday was taking my dog to the vet and suddenly lost ALL power while driving -- electrical, engine, everything. Had to heave the steering wheel and get to the side of the road, then restart. Happened again driving home. Compressor/clutch has failed, which is seizing/cooking the main drive belt. And it failed catastrophically, sending little greasy black metal shards throughout the rest of the system and necessitating a complete A/C rebuild. So I either need to pay like $3k to fix a 16-year-old car that we paid $8k for, or pay $500-1k to do a workaround and have a car that drives but has no working A/C, in a state that is slowly boiling.

fuck Honda.

update: we opted for the complete A/C rebuild, and when they were testing that they discovered the root cause: one of the two air intake/cooling fans at the front of the car had failed, which is what led to the A/C system overheating. previous A/C losses were likely from oil and coolant getting superheated and leaking, while the latest got hot enough to displace grease and oil in the condenser, which cooked the clutch and led to the catastrophic compressor failure and a bunch of greasy cooked metal shards cascading through the rest of the A/C.

because of the radiator fan/motor replacement, it was $3400 all in, lol. on the one hand FML, but on the other the engine bay is like whisper quiet now, which is pretty cool.
User avatar

Big Oil
 
Posts: 9352
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Postby coop » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:21 pm

how does the board feel about Hyundai, Toyota or Chevy SUVs? Used car market is pretty wild, huh
User avatar

coop
 
Posts: 20476
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:29 am
Location: San Junipero

Postby joe » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:02 pm

alright new idea: should i get a kia rio hatchback?
User avatar

joe
 
Posts: 27447
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: snake kingdom

Postby Gutslab » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:56 pm

The Rio is pretty good. If you like hatches, check the VW golf too, it's pretty fun to drive (i got the wagon version of it)
User avatar

Gutslab
 
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 11:50 am
Location: the grinzler academy

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:57 pm

coop wrote:how does the board feel about Hyundai, Toyota or Chevy SUVs? Used car market is pretty wild, huh


do not buy a car unless it’s absolutely necessary
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
User avatar

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks
 
Posts: 90463
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby Gutslab » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:02 pm

Thinking of selling my car, we have an older one I could use. Then maybe buying the new maverick next year. I have no use for a pick up so seems like a good idea.
User avatar

Gutslab
 
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 11:50 am
Location: the grinzler academy

Postby transitive » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:27 pm

The Carvana offer we got for our 2013 Honda Fit came in around $10k which is nuts if you ask me. Anyway, I hate that car, and since I won't be commuting as much, I'm strongly considering this, even though it's older/has more miles.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/p ... 16199.html
User avatar

transitive
 
Posts: 12396
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Postby lights » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:06 pm

Thanks to my car suddenly dumping all it's coolant I'm making a surprise stop in lovely white plains, ny. Simply love having to dump my car at a random mechanic that knows I'm from out of town and thus I am at his mercy. Really hoping this is something dumb like a hose failing instead of a full radiator fuck up.
User avatar

lights
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Postby transitive » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:11 pm

Update: I have bought another VW.
User avatar

transitive
 
Posts: 12396
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Postby woozy ducks » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:43 pm

joe wrote:alright new idea: should i get a kia rio hatchback?


Hatchbacks good
User avatar

woozy ducks
 
Posts: 13147
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Postby dogshit miller » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:45 pm

coop wrote:how does the board feel about Hyundai, Toyota or Chevy SUVs? Used car market is pretty wild, huh


i have a 2009 4runner, it whips ass
User avatar

dogshit miller
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:27 am
Location: pissbarf

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:15 pm

yo mcwop should I get a 2011 RX-8 for $3500 (obo)?

I mean obviously I shouldn't

but should I??
dead was real dumb
User avatar

deadwolfbones
 
Posts: 19278
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:19 pm
Location: indiecision

Postby schmuck » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:33 pm

Had a casual conversation about cars with friends over dinner last week. Talking about how we need a bigger car and how their Q7 is too big for them. We joked around that we should buy their car and he was like “I’ve been seriously considering selling it”. So I texted him today and he said that the dealership offered to buy it from him for 38k so he’d rather sell it to us then them. That’s like a 10k discount from kbb private or dealership price. Going over Thursday to talk details and maybe have a new car soon? It’s an ‘18 with the supercharged v6 fully loaded and 22k miles.
User avatar

schmuck
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: Seattle

Postby warmjets » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:57 pm

Big Oil wrote:
warmjets wrote:I have a 2007 Acura TSX with 215k miles on it.

Last time I had it in the shop for anything besides an oil change was 3 years ago, and they told me I should replace my timing belt. I declined and the thing has been running fine since.

It's always been in the back of my mind though and figured I'd take it in sometime this summer to get it done. But I just looked up and my model has a timing chain, not a belt and those never need to be replaced. So i'm good right?

that seems like a lot of miles without a replacement.

i needed to replace the belt on the first car i bought and they told me a failed belt was manageable but a failed chain can be catastrophic because it can damage/ruin the engine and if pieces start flying around they can damage other components. i don't know how likely those scenarios are vs something less existentially threatening to the car, but the fact that you've been driving it for 3 years without issue doesn't mean they were wrong about it needing to be replaced. it could just mean you've thus far beat whatever increasing odds of failure.


Thanks, I will probably take it in soon just to get things checked out.

Just did a 12 hour r/t road trip in that baby and got 35 MPG. what a machine.
User avatar

warmjets
 
Posts: 11357
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:52 pm
Location: way to breathe, no breath

Postby Gutslab » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:31 pm

schmuck wrote:Had a casual conversation about cars with friends over dinner last week. Talking about how we need a bigger car and how their Q7 is too big for them. We joked around that we should buy their car and he was like “I’ve been seriously considering selling it”. So I texted him today and he said that the dealership offered to buy it from him for 38k so he’d rather sell it to us then them. That’s like a 10k discount from kbb private or dealership price. Going over Thursday to talk details and maybe have a new car soon? It’s an ‘18 with the supercharged v6 fully loaded and 22k miles.


the original warranty might be ending soon. also check if the regular maintenance has been done on it and might want to do a pre purchase inspection to check for any issues
User avatar

Gutslab
 
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 11:50 am
Location: the grinzler academy

Postby mcwop23 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:39 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:yo mcwop should I get a 2011 RX-8 for $3500 (obo)?

I mean obviously I shouldn't

but should I??


absolutely not

for any reason
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
User avatar

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks
 
Posts: 90463
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby mcwop23 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:39 pm

unless it has an LS1 in it
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
User avatar

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks
 
Posts: 90463
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby schmuck » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:54 pm

Gutslab wrote:
schmuck wrote:Had a casual conversation about cars with friends over dinner last week. Talking about how we need a bigger car and how their Q7 is too big for them. We joked around that we should buy their car and he was like “I’ve been seriously considering selling it”. So I texted him today and he said that the dealership offered to buy it from him for 38k so he’d rather sell it to us then them. That’s like a 10k discount from kbb private or dealership price. Going over Thursday to talk details and maybe have a new car soon? It’s an ‘18 with the supercharged v6 fully loaded and 22k miles.


the original warranty might be ending soon. also check if the regular maintenance has been done on it and might want to do a pre purchase inspection to check for any issues


Yeah ppi is a good idea. Didn’t think of that. Thanks. I think it’s got 1 more year of warranty. He’s the type of guy that keeps service records so I’ll take a look at em when I stop over.
User avatar

schmuck
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: Seattle

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A-Ok, becky, bilirubin fancier, brent, buttre, chewy, CompletelySimon85, conductor, creedence tapes, dark budlite supernova, denvermax, DerrickJM1993, dragon jeans, Executive Producer, Feech La Manna, FourLegsGood, Fr. Blanc, gandhi, haddonfield, HotFingersClub, Ill-Advised Webinar, kentucky, kylie minogue, Merciel, mondrary, murderhorn, nickystee, No Good Advice, normal forest, palmer eldritch, pink snake, Poptone, rankoutsider, rich uncle skeleton, seafoam, Seamus, shizaam, Shotfrog, slime, sobieski , This Guy, trampoline, unbiaseddairylodge, unsandpiper, warmjets, winjer, wong, worrywort, wuk and 113 guests