MARVEL®

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby tawny frogmouth » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:37 am

buriedinspace wrote:
tawny frogmouth wrote:goddamit i'm still thinking about the name thing, and i came up with the solution:

her callsign is "marvel." her asshole sexist male co-pilots call her Ms. Marvel derogatorily. at the end she just says "it's captain marvel."

Problem is when/if you want to have a Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel, you've tainted the name as derogatory

(and I want Kamala far more than I wanted Carol, so....)

just call her elastigirl

i get why they did it (keeping an IP active and the general lack of interest in genuinely new, non-legacy or spinoff characters these days) but i always thought it's weird that they took a character with an unrelated power set, an unrelated origin, and an unrelated thematic identity, and had her go by carol's old name. why not tigra or mockingbird?

tawny frogmouth

Postby Drinky » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 am

Saw CM yesterday, and it was fine. I didn’t really notice SLJ’s de-aging that much, but I saw it on a pretty small screen, sitting pretty far back, and wasn’t really looking for it. His posture seemed a little old man-ish at times, but I wasn’t looking too closely for CG airbrushing on his face. Nothing really stood out or looked weird about it, though, which is pretty remarkable. Easily the best example I’ve seen of this yet, but maybe that has as much to do with how SLJ has aged as it does with how good they’ve gotten with this technique.

There were a couple of things that bothered me about the story, but I can’t really remember what they were now. I’m not sure how I feel about the simplicity of Kree =bad/Skrulls=good that we’re left with, but I’m sure that can be complicated more in the future when there’s more room for it.Toggle Spoiler I never really felt pulled into the movie emotionally, but I did like the relationship between Maria and Carol which did manage to elicit some feelings even though we got so little of it. Also total Don Don that the kid was Monica Rambeau, and I feel pretty dumb for not picking up on that while I was watching it.Toggle Spoiler

Drinky

Postby Drinky » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:48 am

Brie Larson was great, too, and I had no issues with her performance at all. Every problem this thing had stemmed from writing/origin story/franchise continuity burdens.

And rubber Skrull masks.

Drinky

Postby tgk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:53 am

i didn't think the 90s references were at all necessary. i guess for viral marketing purposes it was a huge success but it served no purpose in the film aside from being distracting.

tgk

Postby Viz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 am

A team with Thor (with Odin power and Stormbreaker), Dr Strange and Captain Marvel is pretty boring, I think. Are they just going to throw Galacti at them?
Viz

Postby tgk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:18 am

isn't thor done after endgame?

tgk

Postby Viz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 am

I’m hoping he flies off to create a new Asgard.

Strange doesn’t seem like a team player anyway.
Viz

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 am

tgk wrote:i didn't think the 90s references were at all necessary. i guess for viral marketing purposes it was a huge success but it served no purpose in the film aside from being distracting.

yeah I mean one thing that sucks about going to see a movie about a person with superhuman powers is when they put fun music in it to make it enjoyable for everyone
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby Drinky » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 am

Viz wrote:A team with Thor (with Odin power and Stormbreaker), Dr Strange and Captain Marvel is pretty boring, I think. Are they just going to throw Galacti at them?

My guess is that they won’t have this as a team. I think Strange will be more of a team-up guy than an actual Avenger or whatever.

I’d like it if they did something like the recent Ultimates comic where it was a Captain Marvel-led science/cosmic adventure team, sort of similar to FF. Seems like something that might lend itself well to a mini-series format. Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau (as Spectrum or whatever), plus whoever else.
Last edited by Drinky on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drinky

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 am

Re: avoiding big "event" movies, emphasizing team-ups, etc., I'm curious whether they could pull off separate mini-events running through different films concurrently, as opposed to having every single solo movie building toward an event movie called "Avengers."

Like, could they basically do a multi-chapter cosmic story (something involving the Celestials, for example) that starts with GOTG3 and then continues through, I dunno, Thor 4 and then CM2 and culminates with The Eternals, all while doing a separate multi-chapter Earth-based story (maybe about the rise of Latveria and the emergence of Atlantis) that starts with BP2 and continues with a Namor movie and eventually culminates with an FF movie?

reversemigraine

Postby tgk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:28 am

maybe if our character was actually grounded in the 90s and actually interacted with the culture in some capacity it could have worked? but between her, fury, and her buddies backwoods swamp house there was nothing that tied these characters to that time period.

tgk

Postby kirito » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:29 am

what are the realistic odds of us getting fantastic four news at sdcc
They say more money more problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the muhfuckin problems.

kirito

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 am

kirito wrote:what are the realistic odds of us getting fantastic four news at sdcc

Disney has basically shifted to announcing things at Celebration and D23, so I'd expect big news to come out at the latter, the month after SDCC.

reversemigraine

Postby Drinky » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:31 am

I was honestly expecting the 90s stuff to be more heavy-handed than it was. “Just a Girl” was kind of distracting, but whatever.

Drinky

Postby tgk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:32 am

i didn't think it was a huge problem, i was just curious why they did it at all when none of the characters seemed at all engaged with the time period, it was just window dressing and makes me wonder why they did it in the first place (aside from making it more marketable)

tgk

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:34 am

Jeez, Inhumans was supposed to be their big winter film last year.

Anyway, I'd assume to see a multi-year announcement like this at D23.

They know exactly when / how they want to work the old Fox properties into everything and aren't gonna wait a year or more to make it public.

reversemigraine

Postby Drinky » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:35 am

tgk wrote:i didn't think it was a huge problem, i was just curious why they did it at all when none of the characters seemed at all engaged with the time period, it was just window dressing and makes me wonder why they did it in the first place (aside from making it more marketable)

For sure. I think they could just as easily have set it in 2005, but they wouldn’t have able to do cute cultural references.

Drinky

Postby kirito » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:38 am

releasing ant man on the original CM release date seems like a good move in hindsight
They say more money more problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the muhfuckin problems.

kirito

Postby board ghost » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:38 am

well it means monica is an adult now for one thing

and it means there could be/almost certainly are skrulls deeply embedded in thd MCU
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

board ghost

Postby Viz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:39 am

kirito wrote:what are the realistic odds of us getting fantastic four news at sdcc

I decided last night I want FF more than X-men.

Still undecided on whether they need an origin movie. On the one hand, their origin has never been done right. On the other, it's another origin movie.

Same thing with x-men.
Viz

Postby scurrydog » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:50 am

x men should be slowly introduced. seed them as secondary characters in other movies... build up the resentment towards mutants.
basically have whoever they get to play Xavier be phase 1 nick fury. then do an xmen movie, then do a avengers vs xmen movie and make a trillion dollars.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:54 am

I think the big question with FF and X-Men is whether they'll want to introduce them as new characters -- i.e., that they emerge in a post-Endgame world -- or if through retcons, reality warping, and/or general trickeration they try to make it so that they've been around a while but were simply in hiding or out-of-pocket during phases 1-3.

The X-Men, like Spider-Man, had enough successful films to kinda cement the basics of their story in the popular consciousness, so I can see Marvel just rolling them out fully formed. The FF has had so many fits and starts, and those films are so maligned or (at best) forgotten, that I dunno if they can get away with ignoring their origin altogether, but I'd like to see them try.

reversemigraine

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 am

Tom Hanks should play Sebastian Shaw

FourLegsGood

Postby Drinky » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:04 pm

badhat wrote:well it means monica is an adult now for one thing

and it means there could be/almost certainly are skrulls deeply embedded in thd MCU

She still would be, and they still could be.

(Assuming your post was regarding why this was set in the 90s rather than a decade later. But I’m just saying this for argument’s sake and don’t really care either way.)

Drinky

Postby goofjan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:14 pm

why is there no Captain Marvel Carvel ice cream cake tie in?
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby goofjan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:19 pm

omg just realized that Haley Lu Richardson would be amazing as Squirrel Girl. They should do a Young Avengers movie with Squirrel Girl in a small role and then spin her off to a Great Lakes Avengers movie.

goofjan

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:24 pm

I didn't realize they had gotten as far as shooting some or all of the New Warriors pilot (with Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl) back in 2017. Sounds like it's not going anywhere.

reversemigraine

Postby goofjan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:31 pm

reversemigraine wrote:I didn't realize they had gotten as far as shooting some or all of the New Warriors pilot (with Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl) back in 2017. Sounds like it's not going anywhere.

Production shut down when the squirrels took over the set and Vayntrub was powerless to stop them.

goofjan

Postby Viz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:37 pm

reversemigraine wrote:The FF has had so many fits and starts, and those films are so maligned or (at best) forgotten, that I dunno if they can get away with ignoring their origin altogether, but I'd like to see them try.

It shouldn't take a full on origin story to establish the bonds between the FF, I think. As long as they get Doom right, I'm on board.

It would have been cool to introduce Black Bolt and the Inhumans properly, but I guess the Eternals will take their place nicely as cosmic "others".
Viz

Postby tgk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:42 pm

maybe they'll do the illuminati first and just introduce reed and doom and maybe gradually bring in the rest of the FF. considering the multitude of FF film flops i think they'll be hesistant to introduce all those characters, general public is not going to be super excited about a "ripoff" hulk a fire dude and an invisible woman

tgk

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley