Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:40 am

neuartillery wrote:I clicked on the first page of this thread and everyone was certain that the Skrulls were going to be the villains in the first Avengers movie, good times.

The Ultimate Marvel Skrull equivalents were kinda?
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

Venmo: @hipro because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?
https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-avoid-eviction-this-christmas
buriedinspace

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 pm

reversemigraine

Postby kirito » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 pm

thank fucking god
kirito

Postby Feech La Manna » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 pm

lmao what a waste of time
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby badhat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm

wow
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby surly » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:08 pm

so they decided to rehire him months ago, but didn't tell anyone, including him?
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby spix et chicho » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm

loved the journey of scanning this image from left to right

CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby badhat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:11 pm

my dislike of both pratt and starlord has sorta cooled my enthusiasm for that franchise.

am i remembering right that prior to his firing, it was planned as a really pivotal intro to phase 4?
badhat

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm

yesterday when we were talking about the gap after Endgame before whatever else, i remember specifically thinking "i wonder if they'll just get Gunn back after it's cooled down some"
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Franco » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:18 pm

wow
Franco

Postby odilon redon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:23 pm

worth it just to spite cernovich
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 pm

badhat wrote:my dislike of both pratt and starlord has sorta cooled my enthusiasm for that franchise.

am i remembering right that prior to his firing, it was planned as a really pivotal intro to phase 4?

From April 2017:

Gunn noted that while a decade of Marvel Cinematic Universe storytelling has been leading to 2018's Avengers: Infinity War, Guardians 3 will help set up the next 10 years of storytelling for the MCU.

"It will conclude the story of this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and help catapult both old and new Marvel characters into the next ten years and beyond," he wrote. "I will be working side-by-side with Kevin Feige and the gang to help design where these stories go, and make sure the future of the Marvel Cosmic Universe is as special and authentic and magical as what we have created so far."

And yeah, it was initially slated for 2020, so it probably would have been next up after FFH.
reversemigraine

Postby badhat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:27 pm

i thought so

so i probly- the stinger/reso of endgame leans heavily on GotG and they felt like they needed him (and the cast) in pocket before the release.
badhat

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm

that's awesome news.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:42 pm

badhat wrote:my dislike of both pratt and starlord has sorta cooled my enthusiasm for that franchise.

I don’t like Pratt as a person but he is charismatic and Star lord is just a send up of dumb alpha bros. What is your problem with the character? Legit curious
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored
Self Destructive Zone

Postby No Good Advice » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Star Lord is a lame bro dude
No Good Advice

Postby domesticwhite » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:00 pm

idk, i'm not really into the dumb cool guy antics of Starlord either, the affable dunce hero is kinda lost on me
domesticwhite

Postby Drinky » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:05 pm

He works as part of an ensemble. You aren’t necessarily supposed to like him.

Although I guess the 2 GotG movies hinge pretty heavily around his character.
Drinky

Postby domesticwhite » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Drinky wrote:He works as part of an ensemble. You aren’t necessarily supposed to like him.

for sure, definitely. i think generally i'm not interested in the guardians beyond gamora and drax... yondu was rad too. idk, love the setting, love the adventures, but half of them annoy me.
domesticwhite

Postby tgk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:08 pm

he was fun and affable as a kind of bumbling leader in the first one, in 2 and IW he is an insufferable clueless dick without the charm
tgk

Postby Franco » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:09 pm

They applied the Star Lord schtick with a heavy hand in the Avengers too
Franco

Postby kirito » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:09 pm

rocket annoys you?
kirito

Postby badhat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:11 pm

i dislike that the narrative tends to validate him rather than critique him i guess.

we’ll see how that plays out after infinity war. if it ends up being an inflection point, i’ll reconsider

i always think about him in relation to a character like jack burton from Big Trouble... who was similarly sort of a deconstructed macho archetype who turns out to be the bumbling comic relief sidekick who thinks hes the hero.

i think the russos got that more than gunn did. gunn was repeatedly interested in normalizing/fistpumping him has an everyman.

we’ve seen the universe let characters evolve. i think the fact that tony, steve and bruce all have all grown in really rich ways over the years is an underrated strength of the franchise, so maybe starlord will grow up as well, but so far he doesnt seem to have any other qualities besides being a manchild bro.
badhat

Postby tawny frogmouth » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:13 pm

i actually liked him more in infinity war because it became apparent through comparison to thor that he's not as good at anything as he thinks he is. i think they could do good things with him if they leaned more into the scared orphan/kidnap victim who developed a false machismo to survive around a bunch of violent murdery space rednecks. the character works well in the guardians ensemble because it's about the good guy underneath that bravado getting to come out when he has a caring family as opposed to threats of cannibalism
tawny frogmouth

Postby badhat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:14 pm

agree with that
badhat

Postby Drinky » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm

I need to rewatch GotG 2, but in IW his character kind of got stuck servicing the plot by being an idiot. Like he had to be the one to break Mantis’s control on Thanos, and the rest of the time he’s just being kind of clueless for comic relief.

As far as Pratt’s concerned, I really like his delivery in some places, but in a few others it’s a bit much. I could say the same thing about RDJ. shrug
Drinky

Postby badhat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:20 pm

i just kinda dont need more narratives that coddle manchildren and act like becoming a run of the mill grownup is a heros journey that deserves applause.
badhat

Postby tawny frogmouth » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:21 pm

i also feel funny defending the character because i also kind of don't like him? or at least i didn't like guardians 1 as much as everyone else did.

the thing about infinity war is, yeah he had to be the one to break mantis's control because they needed to lose to advance the plot. but i've rewatched it a few times now and i think the movie does a good job of setting up that particular fuckup to come from a place of genuine emotion. like yeah, it was stupid, but we in the audience know that because he himself said the same thing to drax on knowhere earlier in the movie. he's smart enough to stick to a plan, but his achilles heel is that new family he built for himself and thanos just took that away from him. and so he wails on thanos like he told drax not to. stupid? yes. but it's a kind of earned stupidity, for both the character and the movie
tawny frogmouth

Postby Viz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Yeah, the scene with Thor was perfect in that it showed how insecure and posturing his character was.
Viz

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....