MARVEL® - Sheriff Hopper IS Red Guardian!

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby goofjan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:23 pm

kirito wrote:what about mordo

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/01/25/doctor-strange-writer-returning-sequel/

"For those of you who have ever read the comics, you know that Baron Mordo has a very particular arc, and that’s something we discussed with Chiwetel while working on the first movie," Cargill said. "And part of the reason Chiwetel wanted to play Mordo was because he has a definitive ending as a character and it’s such a fascinating ending. And I do know that whether we’re attached or not, that Marvel plans on working towards that ending and fully realizing Mordo as more than just a cardboard cutout villain, but actually taking him to kind of Loki levels of awesomeness. That’s the goal with him."
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby kirito » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:44 pm

man doctor strange 2 is definitely my most anticipated one of these right now, they better keep him as overpowered as he was in infinity war

kirito

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:48 pm

i loved him so much in IW but i thought the payoff to his thing and handing over the stone was a little weak, but maybe just cause that moment was so cool and there were so many possibilities, that just him rolling up in Endgame with an army didn't really do as much for me
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby shacky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Drinky wrote:The effects had an obvious, legit reason to look like “cgi goop”. All of the action in this was a big step from Homecoming, but I don’t think I liked the character stuff as much. On the whole it’s hard to say which movie I like more, but both are great.

but does that make it any more fun to watch goop for an hour? i think this probably should have been truncated because the twist is so obvious anyway (it's got nothing on the keaton reveal/car ride) and a lot more fun could have been had watching the behind the scenes orchestration of the illusions.

someone here posted years ago that this movie should begin with what turns out to be an avengers movie within a movie. imagine in light of endgame what a cool mindfuck it would have been for this to cold open with iron man and captain america and spidey battling some goop monster then CUT and we see they're just actors and we're introduced to beck. it didn't need to instead unimaginatively drag out for the whole first half of the film, i didn't need to see sepia europe destroyed, that wasn't good action.

i think homecoming has the best action in the mcu by a mile. the washington monument sequence has more charm, character and heroics than anything here and that's because it's cribbing from richard donner rather than, i dunno, take yr pick of shitty modern action directors.

shacky

Postby kirito » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:i loved him so much in IW but i thought the payoff to his thing and handing over the stone was a little weak, but maybe just cause that moment was so cool and there were so many possibilities, that just him rolling up in Endgame with an army didn't really do as much for me

100% agreed, i was convinced that the entire battle on titan was deliberately orchestrated by strange to proceed exactly the way it did so that he could hand over the stone at that exact time and that didn't seem to actually be important. then his contribution in the final battle is to keep everyone from drowning.

kirito

Postby Drinky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Washington Monument had more tension than any of the elemental fight sequences, which I agree weren’t great. It was visually kind of dull though, and no where on the list of reasons why I ever want to re-watch Homecoming.

Keaton, obviously, and that car moment is exactly the kind of thing Homecoming did better. Seeing Spider-Man bungle his way through backyards in a suburb was great. Otherwise the action in Homecoming is kind of bland.

And yes, faceless CGI particle monsters are kind of dull, too, but the big illusion sequence might be the best action/FX sequence in an MCU movie yet.

Drinky

Postby shacky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:23 pm

i love how clean and bright washington is, it's pop, it's ditko. and the boat sequence with iron man, the atm thieves, it's all so fun and inventive and actually visually legible.

but yes i forgot to clarify i was excepting the illusion setpiece from my criticism -- that's obviously the best thing ever in a movie

shacky

Postby shacky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 pm

i think the aesthetic of what some people referred to as the 'chinese bootleg' posters for homecoming really sums up what i love and is unique about its action

what's bland and maybe even cheap to some was for me just enormously fucking refreshing in its colourful simplicity and genuinely effective tension. was hoping to see that carry over here.

shacky

Postby fester » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:33 pm

i liked this, didn't love it

zendaya is really great
------------

fester

Postby Viz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:36 pm

surly wrote:
kirito wrote:also it's called one more day :geek:

one more day is awesome, brand new day comes after that and fuckin stoooooooinks (although mr negative is cool)

Whoops!

And on the One More Day entry on wikipedia — "Widely considered as the worst Spider-Man story of all time," LOL.
Viz

Postby goofjan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 pm

the spidey movies have really excelled in the character moments within the action sequences. like, I keep watching the plane fight from Homecoming not for the action (which is perfectly fine action) but for the moment when Keaton notices Peter in the security cam and he pauses for a second and then lets out a frustrated AAARRRGG!!

or in FFH when Peter blocks/avoids the final gunshot from Beck- you see Peter's face and the guy is just trembling. his eyes are perfect. he's just been through some shit. the action may not be mind blowing (save for a few sequences like the Mysterio illusion trap) but the character moments are what make these movies so special.

goofjan

Postby surly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Viz wrote:
surly wrote:

one more day is awesome, brand new day comes after that and fuckin stoooooooinks (although mr negative is cool)

Whoops!

And on the One More Day entry on wikipedia — "Widely considered as the worst Spider-Man story of all time," LOL.

what it meant for the series itself was awful--it basically killed decades of character building and continuity, but i thought absent that, the actual story was well done
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby shacky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:46 pm

should i finally watch the garfield spidey movies or will they just make me sick

shacky

Postby goofjan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:49 pm

skip the garfield spidey movies, watch the garfield the cat movies.

goofjan

Postby kirito » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:49 pm

his suit in the second one is pretty cool

that's the one good thing about either of them

kirito

Postby shacky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:06 pm

yikes

shacky

Postby Drinky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:35 pm

I liked the Garfield/Emma Stone stuff in the first one.

Still haven’t watched the second one. They’re pretty ugly movies.

Drinky

Postby Seamus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:51 pm

I did not rate Homecoming as highly as most of you but I enjoyed it. But I've really got to disagree with the consensus here and say I thought this was very much mid-tier MCU, and would have been lower if not for the Mysterio illusion setpiece and the performances of Holland, Zendaya and Gyllenhaal.

I know you guys are shat on that review from a few pages back but for the first half hour the Lizzy McGuire comparison is apt. I love high school humour, but stuff like Ned's relationship was terrible. So many jokes missed completely, I can't remember a MCU movie getting so few laughs from the audience. With the jokes seemingly aimed at a younger target audience than most MCU stuff, it was weird to then contrast that with one of the darkest and scariest sequences (the illusion) in the MCU movies.

A lot of the supporting cast, like Ned, were underused or literally only in the movie for jokes which didn't hit. Like Flash exists solely to point his phone at things? (yeah I'm aware there was a line trying to justify this, doesn't make it any better)

As good as Holland and Zendaya are, they don't have any chemistry, awkward or otherwise. The whole Europe trip was just a mindless race to see how many cities they could trash, it never added any texture to the plot.

The plot was too loose as well. Like Aunt May is actively encouraging Peter to take his suit abroad? Sure. The spider sense thing needed more through line, like some of you have discussed. The big set up for the new suit was a huge anti climax.

But like I mentioned above, the illusion setpiece ruled. I thought Gyllenhaal did a really good job as Mysterio as a whole and he was one of the more menacing villains from the MCU. I enjoyed the echo of Tony when Peter got to grips making his suit. Like I mentioned, Holland and Zendaya were really good, chemistry aside, and Holland is still the best embodiment of a live action Spidey, I just don't think this movie showcased it to it's fullest.
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby kirito » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 pm

i laughed when they showed flash's phone screen and someone in the livestream chat was like "why does this guy have so many viewers?"

kirito

Postby Montague Terrace » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:01 pm

FFH kind of sucked. Kind of predictable and not as funny or actiony as the first.

Montague Terrace

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:14 pm

surly wrote:

This is the opposite of the truth. (though I will say 'Back in Black' right before OMD is under-rated in the fact that it's as bad or worse)
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:19 pm

I thought this was all right but didn't feel like it flowed very well. Felt like there were a lot of plots going on at once and they didn't all converge particularly well.

I'd put it in the mid-tier. Did like Jake and the other main performances. Some of the jokes were good. Mysterio sequence ruled but also, it was one of those things that ended up a set piece that wasn't really revisited? I know Peter essentially conquers it via tingle in that one scene but that he never had to face it again at full strength and overcome it seemed a little anticlimactic.

I think we're more likely to get Sinister Six in a Spider-Verse sequel. Kinda wish they could do a Spider-Man/X-Men: Into the Mojoverse sequel tbh

PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?

buriedinspace

Postby Bartatua » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Gargan's gotta come back for a sequel
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 pm

buriedinspace wrote:I thought this was all right but didn't feel like it flowed very well. Felt like there were a lot of plots going on at once and they didn't all converge particularly well.

I'd put it in the mid-tier. Did like Jake and the other main performances. Some of the jokes were good. Mysterio sequence ruled but also, it was one of those things that ended up a set piece that wasn't really revisited? I know Peter essentially conquers it via tingle in that one scene but that he never had to face it again at full strength and overcome it seemed a little anticlimactic.

I think we're more likely to get Sinister Six in a Spider-Verse sequel. Kinda wish they could do a Spider-Man/X-Men: Into the Mojoverse sequel tbh

man an X-Men movie done by the Spidey-Verse people would be so sick
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby kirito » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Bartatua wrote:Gargan's gotta come back for a sequel

no gargan or shocker was definitely a letdown, spidey busting someone in new york in the first act would have been fun

kirito

Postby Drinky » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:man an X-Men movie done by the Spidey-Verse people would be so sick

Or FF or Dr Strange. Something big and cosmic or surreal/magical.

Drinky

Postby badhat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:24 pm

when FFH dropped and everybody was tweeting about the mindblowing post credit tease, i was so desperately hoping it was a vortex opening up with miles and spiderham and spidergwen etc being all “get in...”
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby shacky » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Daley and Goldstein should not have been dropped, that's the real difference between films

shacky

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:
buriedinspace wrote:I thought this was all right but didn't feel like it flowed very well. Felt like there were a lot of plots going on at once and they didn't all converge particularly well.

man an X-Men movie done by the Spidey-Verse people would be so sick

Yeah, I think X-Men teaming with Miles and Gwen in the Mojoverse is kinda perfect? Introduce Longshot and have a diverse young X-Men lineup (X-23, Kitty, black or Latina young Dazzler, Dani, Sunspot, Doug, Warlock and Armor?) plus the classic X-Men as X-Babies? I think it'd be ideal as a brand extension.

buriedinspace

Postby scrambled » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Celiac wrote:The Illusion sequence is the best part of the movie, probably my favorite sequence in any marvel movie

it was so fucking cool - felt very like a claremont-esque comic book come to life in this really gorgeous way. esp that bit where it becomes a snowglobe which becomes mysterio's head, felt like a 1978 comic book cover.

such a good time at the moviessss - tom holland really is just so good.

scrambled

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....