Forgive the sloppy-ass plating.
shanked by the Devil

John Dark

Postby That Demon Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Eating well for breakfast this morning.

Filipino pork adobo with sinangag (fried garlic rice):

That Demon Life

Postby sassafras socks » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:49 pm

That looks great! Can you share the adobo recipe? Mr. Sassafras is Filipino but.. not the best cook, so I'd love to make something like this without resorting to packet adobo seasoning
sassafras socks

Postby brittle » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:53 pm

does anybody use a recipe app for thier phone?

i just want a way to browse stuff with certain ingredients, and bookmark recipes from other sites i find myself making a lot.

brittle

Postby jbiz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 pm

filipino adobo is just meat cooked in a mixture of vinegar, soy, garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns

you can mess with the ratios of vinegar to soy to find what's best for you (i just checked about 10 recipes and they were all different). first time i ever made it, i did 4:1 vinegar to soy plus a little water, and my filipino wife said it was a little too much vinegar. i'm not sure what ratio my mother-in-law uses and she probably doesn't measure

here's the classic adobo recipe from the "i am a filipino" cookbook that just came out that's received high praise (i have it but haven't cooked from it yet)

(i've never had nor heard any relatives talk about fruit preserves or anything in their adobo, fwiw, but sounds good to me and i think i might try it soon)

jbiz

Postby That Demon Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm

sassafras socks wrote:That looks great! Can you share the adobo recipe? Mr. Sassafras is Filipino but.. not the best cook, so I'd love to make something like this without resorting to packet adobo seasoning

I've been tweaking it to my taste for a bit, but I did this:

2lbs pork shoulder, cut into bite sized pieces
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp Veg oil
1/4 cup vinegar (I do half and half white and rice vinegar)
1/3 cup soy sauce (I use half light and half dark to get that nice dark caramelization)
2 cups water
2tsp white sugar
1 Bay leaf
2tsp whole black peppercorns

Optional:
sliced Thai bird peppers
1tsp brown sugar

In a Dutch oven or large pot, head oil to medium high and add in pork. Brown on all sides. Add in garlic and cook for a minute or until fragrant.

Add vinegar, soy sauce, water, white sugar, bay leaf, peppercorns and peppers (if using), stir and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about an hour.

Remove lid, add brown sugar (if using) and simmer, letting sauce reduce to desired thickness. About a half an hour more for me.

Serve with rice or whatever.

That Demon Life

Postby easy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:
Ferrous Bueller wrote:I'll probably pick up at least some of these next month:

got this a few days ago- so far I've made 4 things from it, all of which have been winners

def recommended for those in need of more easy dishes

my SO worked on this :)

easy
does it

Postby That Demon Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:14 pm

Some recipes call for sugar (or honey) and some don't, but I definitely like balancing the vinegar with some sweetness and some heat.

That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Some also use coconut milk, lime juice, pineapple, omit the soy sauce, etc. So there are tons of variations. This one is kind of like half way between a more purely traditional one and like a Vietnamese caramelized pork.

That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:16 pm

And pork belly is probably even better, but they didn't have a good selection of it at the store yesterday.

That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Pizza day

That Demon Life

Postby conductor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Does anyone have essential vegetarian cookbooks? I currently have Deborah Madison and the two "A modern way..." books, plus a few Indian books.

conductor

Postby drudge » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:50 pm

six seasons isn't vegetarian but is vegetable focused. a lot of the recipes are vegetarian or can easily become so without a lot of modification. it's just a great book tbh.

recently made the asparagus salad and the onion tart and my meat & potatoes dad loved them

drudge

Postby deadbass » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:56 pm

I got the Rebar cookbook like 12 years ago and it has been indispensable to me for vegetarian recipes.

deadbass

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Taiwanese beef noodle soup

That Demon Life

Postby brittle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:08 pm

conductor wrote:Does anyone have essential vegetarian cookbooks? I currently have Deborah Madison and the two "A modern way..." books, plus a few Indian books.

I got the yottam ottellinghi vegetarian book because a lot of great looking veggie dishes kept popping up on my Chromecast wallpaper.

There was two or three home runs, but all in all it was a bit of a letdown.

Definitely gonna pick up Six Seasons though. It's 15 bucks on prime for a hardcover right now!

brittle

Postby That Demon Life » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 am

Ferrous Bueller wrote:fuck

It was a surprise for my gf after two very long days of work while I sat home and played xbox and hung out with the dog. She's Taiwanese and it's one of her favorite foods. First time making it and it turned out great. Next time I'll maybe make my own noodles too.

That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:11 pm

My girlfriend isn't much of a cook, but she got an air fryer for Christmas and wanted to try it out and killed it with these this morning. Made with biscuit dough, bacon, eggs and cheddar:

That Demon Life

Postby powderfinger » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 pm

got a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan for Christmas and have never fallen so hard for a piece of cookware; cast iron is losing its place on the pot rack

powderfinger

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:33 pm

I've posted way too many pizza pictures, but after a very long time of tinkering with ratios and proofing times and cold fermentation and types of flour and sauce spices and everything else, I finally have 100% nailed what I consider to be perfect NY Pizza. I think I let out a weird little squeal when I took a bite.

That Demon Life

Postby shizaam » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:43 pm

That Demon Life wrote:Taiwanese beef noodle soup

jesus. got a recipe?

shizaam

Postby WAC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:13 pm

That pizza looks awesome

WAC

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:25 pm

shizaam wrote:
That Demon Life wrote:Taiwanese beef noodle soup

jesus. got a recipe?

So I started with this:

https://thewoksoflife.com/2018/04/taiwa ... stant-pot/

But did it in a stockpot on the stove instead (which it lists the changes for) and then made some tweaks:

-used bone-in shank and after cutting the meat from the bone I seared the bones in the pot before anything else, removed it and then put the bones bones back into the pot when the water and spices went in to get the marrow in there

-did my own spices in cheesecloth which were what they list if you do that, plus cloves

-added some Thai bird peppers, sliced and de-seeded

-strained the broth through a fine mesh strainer afterwards, picked out the meat and dumped the aromatics and bones

The garnishes are Pickled mustard greens that I chopped up and sautéed in Sichuan chili oil, green onion and bok choy.

That Demon Life

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:32 pm

TDL that pizza is worthy of applause

Fr. Blanc

Postby truncated » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm

powderfinger wrote:got a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan for Christmas and have never fallen so hard for a piece of cookware; cast iron is losing its place on the pot rack

how'd you go about seasoning it?

I got one in the fall and did a bunch of coats of flax oil but it didn't seem right/completely seasoning after a few uses (1st time or two was a charm but then it faded fast) so I've shelved it for a while

truncated

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Franco wrote:TDL that pizza is worthy of applause

Thanks, man. Genuinely appreciated. I haven't tried hard at many things in my life. I worked on this one. Haha.

That Demon Life

Postby conductor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks for the cookbook reccs!!! I am giving sectarianism a shot --- I cooked about 75% vegetarian at home anyway, so it won't be a huge transition, but just wanted to get better ideas.

Not a great pic, but this vegan cassoulet was ridiculously good.

conductor

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 pm

conductor wrote:Thanks for the cookbook reccs!!! I am giving sectarianism a shot --- I cooked about 75% vegetarian at home anyway, so it won't be a huge transition, but just wanted to get better ideas.

Not a great pic, but this vegan cassoulet was ridiculously good.

I love Cassoulet so, so much. I made it with duck about 6 months ago, but I'd love a vegetarian recipe if you don't mind sharing.

That Demon Life

Postby powderfinger » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:45 pm

truncated wrote:
powderfinger wrote:got a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan for Christmas and have never fallen so hard for a piece of cookware; cast iron is losing its place on the pot rack

how'd you go about seasoning it?

I got one in the fall and did a bunch of coats of flax oil but it didn't seem right/completely seasoning after a few uses (1st time or two was a charm but then it faded fast) so I've shelved it for a while

I followed random YouTuber's instructions and seasoned it in the oven for the better part of an afternoon with two coats of sunflower oil (since it's what I have). I promptly scraped a bunch of the seasoning off with a metal utensil by accident but despite that it seems nonstick after a few uses.

I was expecting the nonstick performance but the evenness of the heat is much more impressive than I expected. Waaaaay better than cast iron on my induction range, which has a steep temperature gradient between the center and edges even after lengthy preheating. It's pretty damn close to clad stainless steel. Breakfast food looks and tastes like I'm cooking on a real griddle.

powderfinger

Postby conductor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:46 pm

https://feedmephoebe.com/vegetarian-cassoulet-recipe/!

Your soup post on this page is destroying me. I lived in Shanghai and intensely miss 5 or 6 dishes, and one of them is a huge, oily bowl of beef noodle soup.

conductor

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley