Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Didn't get a great shot of it because I was starving, but I made soy/dashi braised short ribs (from Salt Fat Acid Heat) and gan bian si ji dou and it was amazing.

That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:35 pm

The people demand action shots? Well I'll oblige. I'm turning into a pretty good wok wrangler.

That Demon Life

Postby abs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:49 am

yummy sesame cauliflower wrapped in lettuce :ryan:
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:52 am

awesome pic- got a recipe?

one day I'll try to make my own stuff look better

red lentil soup (from the milk street book)- this shit is so good

just some chili

pepper, sweet potato, potato stir fry w/ a shit ton of garlic and ginger (also from the milk street book)

bulgogi-ish marinated beef, pear + cucumber salad

Ferrous Bueller

Postby abs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:03 am

Ferrous Bueller wrote:awesome pic- got a recipe?

Cut 1 head cauliflower into florets.

Combine 1 c. flour, 1 c. water, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tbsp. sesame seeds, salt & pepper into bowl. Whisk. Resulting batter should coat florets but not drip. Coat florets and place on baking sheets covered in parchment paper, slightly apart.

Bake @450 20 min.

Combine 1/4 c. soy sauce, 2 tbsp. maple syrup, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, 1 tbsp. rice vinegar, 1 tbsp. tomato paste, 4 cloves garlic, 2" garlic -- peeled & minced, 1 tbsp. sesame seeds

Bring to a boil for 5 min until reduced. Reserve 3 tbsp. sesame sauce.

Remove baked cauliflower and cool slightly. When cooled, remove and toss in sesame sauce mixture. Bake another 20 min.

Serve in Boston lettuce leaves with fresh green onion, use reserved sauce to garnish.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:14 am

thanks!
Ferrous Bueller

Postby shrinemaidens » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:36 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:i'm practicing macarons this week to make them for a work party next week

ruined/threw out two batches tonight (first was the right consistency, but started with a pathetic meringue, and pancaked... second time i fixated on making absolute cloudz before the macaronage, but either went too thick, started with too few egg whites, or didn't fold enough, because the end result was too thick and piped out as firm poo emojis that wouldnt settle)

gonna k. myself

do you still have your recipe. shrinemaidens? anyone else have a reliable one?

so sorry for the super late reply!!! i hope your macarons for your work party came out great!

i experimented with these two recipes, second one is the one i used for the raspberry filling:

https://www.indulgewithmimi.com/the-bes ... on-recipe/

https://entertainingwithbeth.com/foolpr ... on-recipe/
shrinemaidens

Postby LloydChristmas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:16 am

I made xmas dinner for the first time this year. Did the meatballs and potatoes below among other things. Went pretty well :)

LloydChristmas

Postby brent » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:35 am

hell yeah
brent

Postby John Dark » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:24 pm

Chicken curry n rice.

Forgive the sloppy-ass plating.
Now here is the lake. And I still haven't changed.
John Dark

Postby That Demon Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Eating well for breakfast this morning.

Filipino pork adobo with sinangag (fried garlic rice):

That Demon Life

Postby sassafras socks » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:49 pm

That looks great! Can you share the adobo recipe? Mr. Sassafras is Filipino but.. not the best cook, so I'd love to make something like this without resorting to packet adobo seasoning
sassafras socks

Postby brittle » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:53 pm

does anybody use a recipe app for thier phone?

i just want a way to browse stuff with certain ingredients, and bookmark recipes from other sites i find myself making a lot.
brittle

Postby jbiz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 pm

filipino adobo is just meat cooked in a mixture of vinegar, soy, garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns

you can mess with the ratios of vinegar to soy to find what's best for you (i just checked about 10 recipes and they were all different). first time i ever made it, i did 4:1 vinegar to soy plus a little water, and my filipino wife said it was a little too much vinegar. i'm not sure what ratio my mother-in-law uses and she probably doesn't measure

here's the classic adobo recipe from the "i am a filipino" cookbook that just came out that's received high praise (i have it but haven't cooked from it yet)

(i've never had nor heard any relatives talk about fruit preserves or anything in their adobo, fwiw, but sounds good to me and i think i might try it soon)

jbiz

Postby That Demon Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm

sassafras socks wrote:That looks great! Can you share the adobo recipe? Mr. Sassafras is Filipino but.. not the best cook, so I'd love to make something like this without resorting to packet adobo seasoning

I've been tweaking it to my taste for a bit, but I did this:

2lbs pork shoulder, cut into bite sized pieces
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp Veg oil
1/4 cup vinegar (I do half and half white and rice vinegar)
1/3 cup soy sauce (I use half light and half dark to get that nice dark caramelization)
2 cups water
2tsp white sugar
1 Bay leaf
2tsp whole black peppercorns

Optional:
sliced Thai bird peppers
1tsp brown sugar

In a Dutch oven or large pot, head oil to medium high and add in pork. Brown on all sides. Add in garlic and cook for a minute or until fragrant.

Add vinegar, soy sauce, water, white sugar, bay leaf, peppercorns and peppers (if using), stir and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about an hour.

Remove lid, add brown sugar (if using) and simmer, letting sauce reduce to desired thickness. About a half an hour more for me.

Serve with rice or whatever.
That Demon Life

Postby easy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:
Ferrous Bueller wrote:I'll probably pick up at least some of these next month:

got this a few days ago- so far I've made 4 things from it, all of which have been winners

def recommended for those in need of more easy dishes

my SO worked on this :)
easy
does it

Postby That Demon Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:14 pm

Some recipes call for sugar (or honey) and some don't, but I definitely like balancing the vinegar with some sweetness and some heat.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Some also use coconut milk, lime juice, pineapple, omit the soy sauce, etc. So there are tons of variations. This one is kind of like half way between a more purely traditional one and like a Vietnamese caramelized pork.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:16 pm

And pork belly is probably even better, but they didn't have a good selection of it at the store yesterday.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Pizza day

That Demon Life

Postby conductor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Does anyone have essential vegetarian cookbooks? I currently have Deborah Madison and the two "A modern way..." books, plus a few Indian books.
conductor

Postby drudge » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:50 pm

six seasons isn't vegetarian but is vegetable focused. a lot of the recipes are vegetarian or can easily become so without a lot of modification. it's just a great book tbh.

recently made the asparagus salad and the onion tart and my meat & potatoes dad loved them
perhaps at some point i was an energy vampire
drudge

Postby deadbass » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:56 pm

I got the Rebar cookbook like 12 years ago and it has been indispensable to me for vegetarian recipes.
deadbass

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Taiwanese beef noodle soup

That Demon Life

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:00 pm

fuck
Ferrous Bueller

Postby brittle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:08 pm

conductor wrote:Does anyone have essential vegetarian cookbooks? I currently have Deborah Madison and the two "A modern way..." books, plus a few Indian books.

I got the yottam ottellinghi vegetarian book because a lot of great looking veggie dishes kept popping up on my Chromecast wallpaper.

There was two or three home runs, but all in all it was a bit of a letdown.

Definitely gonna pick up Six Seasons though. It's 15 bucks on prime for a hardcover right now!
brittle

Postby That Demon Life » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 am

Ferrous Bueller wrote:fuck

It was a surprise for my gf after two very long days of work while I sat home and played xbox and hung out with the dog. She's Taiwanese and it's one of her favorite foods. First time making it and it turned out great. Next time I'll maybe make my own noodles too.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:11 pm

My girlfriend isn't much of a cook, but she got an air fryer for Christmas and wanted to try it out and killed it with these this morning. Made with biscuit dough, bacon, eggs and cheddar:

That Demon Life

Postby powderfinger » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 pm

got a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan for Christmas and have never fallen so hard for a piece of cookware; cast iron is losing its place on the pot rack
powderfinger

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:33 pm

I've posted way too many pizza pictures, but after a very long time of tinkering with ratios and proofing times and cold fermentation and types of flour and sauce spices and everything else, I finally have 100% nailed what I consider to be perfect NY Pizza. I think I let out a weird little squeal when I took a bite.

That Demon Life

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....