Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby deadwolfbones » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:38 pm

Did a chicken on the Traeger. Buttermilk-brined with this recipe, using some foraged & dried local porcini (spring king bolete).

Real good.
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby dcm » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:51 am

A most worthy toop. I wanna see the mushrooms

What are you photographing w/?

dcm

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:36 am

You can see some of the mushrooms here because I wrote a thing about foraging: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog ... mushrooms/

I shoot mostly with a Nikon D700 and the f/1.8G lenses (almost always the 50/1.8).
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby buboclot » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:51 am

anyone cook with MSG?

recently got a bottle and have been experimenting. basically microdosing so far in stews, soups and dressings. hard to tell for sure but i think it adds some depth and slightly richer mouthfeel. eager to try it on popcorn, roasted nuts and other snacky stuff. also roast vegetables.

seems like all the anti-msg stuff is totally unfounded in the science and mostly just racist shit from the 60s. HPN fuckin w MSG?

buboclot

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:54 am

There's nothing wrong with MSG. Good shit. I don't personally use it but I approve.
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby mancubz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:34 am

Msg is great and anti msg stuff is definitely from racism
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:38 am

rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby powderfinger » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:44 am

I'm pro-MSG in theory and have experimented with adding it to all kinds of stuff, but it seems like it has an aftertaste that comes through too clearly for me in a finished dish.

powderfinger

Postby bigcat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:49 am

awww that's one cute chicken

bigcat

Postby shizaam » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:22 pm

whew that chicken looks fantastic. i usually just dry brine for 24-48 hours in the fridge... i should try the buttermilk approach

shizaam

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:10 pm

I've always associated buttermilk with fried chicken but it works really well for roasted as well.
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby powderfinger » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:25 pm

I discovered the magic of buttermilk for chicken this summer too. I've been grilling half chickens brined in buttermilk, garlic, and Old Bay. So good.

powderfinger

Postby That Demon Life » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 pm

buboclot wrote:anyone cook with MSG?

recently got a bottle and have been experimenting. basically microdosing so far in stews, soups and dressings. hard to tell for sure but i think it adds some depth and slightly richer mouthfeel. eager to try it on popcorn, roasted nuts and other snacky stuff. also roast vegetables.

seems like all the anti-msg stuff is totally unfounded in the science and mostly just racist shit from the 60s. HPN fuckin w MSG?

I use MSG all the time. It's great. All the anti-MSG stuff is absolutely based in racism.

That Demon Life

Postby buboclot » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 am

word up. what yall using it in to best effect? i need to try some in some fresh marinara. was also thinking of trying to re-create something like bjorn qorn popcorn with msg + nutritional yeast.

buboclot

Postby That Demon Life » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:35 am

buboclot wrote:word up. what yall using it in to best effect? i need to try some in some fresh marinara. was also thinking of trying to re-create something like bjorn qorn popcorn with msg + nutritional yeast.

I do a lot of Chinese cooking, so it goes in there a lot. Recently added it to some red beans and rice to great effect.

That Demon Life

Postby conductor » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:58 pm

I've been making no pizzas but pan pizzas lately. So easy and good. shrooms, impossible sausage, and pickled peppers.

conductor

Postby beachboysfan69 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:37 am

Nice. I gotta ask my old roommate how he made pizzas in a cast-iron. Man those were good.
beachboysfan69

Postby powderfinger » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:50 am

god I want to get back to making pizza so badly but blasting the oven at 500 for two hours is untenable during the summer heat

powderfinger

Postby brent » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:27 am

i made my first bottles of hot sauce of the year with chiles from our garden...a serrano sauce that mostly follows this one:
https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/spicy-serrano-hot-sauce/
went through a bottle in 5 days, still have 1 left

gonna do a fatalii one this weekend

brent

Postby shizaam » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:41 am

beachboysfan69 wrote:Nice. I gotta ask my old roommate how he made pizzas in a cast-iron. Man those were good.

this one is a p great one to start with https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... zza-recipe

shizaam

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:30 am

I just made a quick white pizza yesterday with some NYT marinara for dipping. I ate the whole things at once. Oops.

That Demon Life

Postby conductor » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:37 pm

beachboysfan69 wrote:Nice. I gotta ask my old roommate how he made pizzas in a cast-iron. Man those were good.

They're pretty full proof. You can follow the recipe posted below, but for example yesterday I was short on time and didn't allow for a real rise, and just took fridge dough (9 oz for each pizza), pressed it flat in an olive oiled skillet, topped and baked at 550. Check after 12 minutes --- sometimes you need to finish off on a medium burner to get the crust golden brown.

conductor

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:52 pm

conductor wrote:

They're pretty full proof. You can follow the recipe posted below, but for example yesterday I was short on time and didn't allow for a real rise, and just took fridge dough (9 oz for each pizza), pressed it flat in an olive oiled skillet, topped and baked at 550. Check after 12 minutes --- sometimes you need to finish off on a medium burner to get the crust golden brown.

Foolproof*

Not being a jerk or anything. I just see this a lot online.

That Demon Life

Postby conductor » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:55 pm

That Demon Life wrote:Not being a jerk or anything.

I'll be the judge of that

ImageToggle Spoiler

conductor

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:24 pm

brent wrote:i made my first bottles of hot sauce of the year with chiles from our garden...a serrano sauce that mostly follows this one:
https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/spicy-serrano-hot-sauce/
went through a bottle in 5 days, still have 1 left

gonna do a fatalii one this weekend

Our serrano bush is going bonkers so I'll probs do this, thx.
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:25 pm

That Demon Life wrote:
conductor wrote:

Foolproof*

Not being a jerk or anything. I just see this a lot online.

Maybe he was just saying that the dough is fully proofed using that recipe ;)
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:35 pm

Haha good point

That Demon Life

Postby The Unblinking Eye » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:43 pm

I've been making Detroit pizzas like every week and half.

Made this chicken shoyu ramen today:

The Unblinking Eye

Postby churrokbyme » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:11 pm

yep. I mostly use it in the chef steps turkey gravy recipe.

churrokbyme

Postby bruceagain » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:58 pm

That Demon Life wrote:

I use MSG all the time. It's great. All the anti-MSG stuff is absolutely based in racism.

100%
it's easy to abuse and i think that's where a lot of criticism comes from but it's a great tool to have
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....