This Guy

Postby hbb » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:36 am

Well, fondue, actually
hbb

Postby Viz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 am

Those Tinder don-dons are great.
Viz

Postby Paul » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 am

Bad Craziness wrote:has anyone seen him live recently?

he’s playing the Hollywood bowl this summer and I kind of want to go

this post made me realize Van Morrison is in fact, not dead.
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby Milk » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:17 am

ok this is a French one but fuck i've just had the most WHAT A FUCKING IDIOT don don possibly ever twenty years later and i have to share it even though no one cares.

So....there's this very famous French comedy with Pierre Richard WHICH IVE KNOWN ABOUT since im a kid, and that i've seen, called Le Grand Blond avec une Chaussure Noire "The tall blond (guy) with a black shoe). This movie was even remade with Tom hanks as The man with the red shoe (yes, it sucks, the remake i mean)

Now

About twenty years ago there was this very popular talk show here in Quebec hosted by this beloved actor-comedian that i used to watch and it was called Le Grand Blond avec un Show Sournois (the tall blonde (guy) with a devious show) and i FUCKING NEVER (!!!!!!!!!) until now made the connection between the two...NEVER! it's not like it's SUBTLE, half the title is the same and the rest is a wordplay (chaussure noir, show sournois, said real quick sounds nearly the same save for the r you remove at the end). This is blowing my mind i never made the connection. Absolutely blowing my mind. I mean i always thought too "uh that's kind of a weird name for a talk sho... who came up with that!?!?" :roll: FUCK....

I'll never be able to admit this here irl without being thoroughly ridiculed so doing it on this board is all i've got
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."

Milk

Postby inmate » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:30 am

i’ve heard the spongebob theme song hundreds of times in my life but i’m not sure i’ve ever parsed that the lyric was “absorbent and yellow and porous is he.” the first part may have don’d me the last time i watched it, i can’t remember, but “porous” had definitely not registered until i put it together with the visual of the water squirting out of his holes just now. same for other jokes in spongebob/the simpsons that i’ve known my whole life and have laughed at because they sounded funny but it’s not until rewatching it now with an understanding of what the big words mean that i can process why it actually makes sense as a joke and not just a weird funny thing for a character to say

inmate

Postby shacky » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:23 am

speaking of french ones i only recently realised that in detective fiction and noir and stuff when they say "dame" it isn't just some weird meaningless misogynistic american slang term, it's just mispronounced french

shacky

Postby Kenny » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:28 am

goldmatt wrote:
El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is to Houston.

Damn, Texas is a big state
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby number none » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:03 am

shacky wrote:speaking of french ones i only recently realised that in detective fiction and noir and stuff when they say "dame" it isn't just some weird meaningless misogynistic american slang term, it's just mispronounced french

nah, dame as a general term for a woman has been around a long time in English

and it still survives as the honorific given to women with an OBE

number none

Postby number none » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:05 am

although I guess if you go back to the middle ages it probably did come from French

number none

Postby Kenny » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am

I think something like 30-40% of English words are French in origin

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby quinine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 am

"check your 6" = your 6 o'clock position
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:56 am

Riverchrist wrote:"Jean Genie" = Jean Genet

Wouldn't usually feel the need to respond to a don from 2011 but I'm 95% certain this was also posted over the last few months and I can't seem to find it. Currently reading Shock and Awe by Simon Reynolds and it would appear this is a non-don, even to Bowie himself

Ultimately, Bowie would score one of his biggest UK hits of the glam era with a song partly inspired by Iggy, 'The Jean Genie'. At a press conference shortly after the single hit #2 in winter 1972, Bowie was asked if the title was a reference to Jean Genet. He replied that it would have been 'marvellous' if that was the case, but it was in fact inspired by Iggy, as well as the street-punk characters you might run into in the more ragged parts of downtown New York. Very soon - not wanting to squander this cool-enhancing misinterpretation - Bowie would incorporate the Jean Genet/Jean Genie connection into his official account of the song's genesis, linking it to Lindsay Kemp's 'fantastic' production of Our Lady of the Flowers. 'It was very, very sub-conscious, but I think it's probably there... [Flowers has] always been in the back of my mind.'
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression

Sports Fan of the Year

Postby brittle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:53 am

sweethearts

brittle

Postby crisp butty » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:36 am

don don in waiting for these folks

crisp butty

Postby Spooky Jim » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:30 am

Raw War: American Civil
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:06 am

would that make it War War War War?
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby inmate » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:51 pm

the "kos" in "daily kos" comes from markos moulitsas' name

inmate

Postby Kenny » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 pm

In Pump Up the Jam, she's saying "I don't want a place to stay" not "I don't want a player today"

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Brain Stew » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:30 pm

I always thought she said, "Oh wow! A place to stay!"
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...

Brain Stew

Postby brittle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:17 pm

i thought it was "all i want is a place to stay"

fuccin' audio rorschach huh

brittle

Postby Link » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm

captain wrote:one of my friends used the term "butterface" and my other friend was like "what are you talking about, she's not fat". guy was stone convinced that butterface was simply another term for being fat. after we made fun of him for that, i made fun of my other friend for using butterface because in no way do i condone use of such a stupid term

https://www.facebook.com/cinemark/posts ... 561516171/

Went to the movies three weeks ago and they're still doing this.

(Inspired by a more recent "butterface" don don that's somehow disappeared from the thread)

Link

Postby blackbetty » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:16 pm

preposterous = "before-behind"

blackbetty

Postby brittle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:24 pm

blackbetty wrote:preposterous = "before-behind"

:)

brittle

Postby kyle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Yea, that's good.

kyle

Postby Beez » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:12 pm

theta wrote:Image

always thought it was a bird face

Beez

Postby goofy's dead wife » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 pm

david "avocado" wolfe the facebook infowars multilevel health food marketing guy is the same guy who was in the nutri bullet infomercials. i didn't realize it until i was making this post and thought about linking a nutri bullet infomercial

goofy's dead wife wrote:i watched this on dxm in a hotel room waiting for dragoncon to start in 2012 and got the same vibes from it i did staying up and watching infomercials for the nutri bullet.

badlands is one of my favorite films, days of heaven is very very good. i think the rest of malick's filmography feels like david "avocado" wolfe's nutribullet infomercials. crazy trajectory.

goofy's dead wife

Postby worrywort » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:27 pm

this isn't a don don per se, i just found it interesting and hadn't known it before, that outside the US 'frown' is a furrowing of the brows and not the turning down of your mouth.

worrywort

Postby razzle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Camper Van Beethoven is like a car pun or something
At least we have Hamilton

razzle
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....