Obvious things that recently Don Don'd you

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby coop » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:31 pm

User avatar
coop
 
Posts: 13705
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:29 am
Location: San Junipero

Postby number none » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:54 pm

It's the other way around according to the wiki article
User avatar
number none
 
Posts: 28453
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:00 am

Postby Spooky Jim » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:08 am

A fair deal is a “square deal” or a “square trade” because squares are even on all sides.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?
User avatar
Spooky Jim
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Postby deep blue meanies » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:13 am

Sports Fan of the Year wrote:apparently Papua New Guinea and parts of Indonesia also comprise the Australian continent but my research was brief and confusing


they share the same continental shelf yes
User avatar
deep blue meanies
 
Posts: 2890
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:16 am
Location: sinai

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:17 am

In the sonic franchise, Tails' full name is Miles Prower. Miles per hour.
User avatar
The Fool on the Hill
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:27 am

Postby RIXX » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:20 am

I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:24 am

The Fool on the Hill wrote:In the sonic franchise, Tails' full name is Miles Prower. Miles per hour.



didn’t realize the last name
Image
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
User avatar
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks
 
Posts: 70298
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby Milk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:05 pm

going to sleep last night....probiotics....as opposed to antibiotics. . I mean obvs i knew what probiotics meant but i had never put them in contrast with antibiotics



Also just now, but this is a canadian thing, all dressed chips are ketchup, bbq and salt and vinegar all in one flavor.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
User avatar
Milk
 
Posts: 11496
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Shut the fuck up Milk

Postby Autarch » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:07 pm

The Fool on the Hill wrote:In the sonic franchise, Tails' full name is Miles Prower. Miles per hour.


whoa that's huge
Sent from my Lenovo
User avatar
Autarch
 
Posts: 6839
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:13 am
Location: In these times of economy

Postby badhat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:08 pm

deep blue meanies wrote:
Sports Fan of the Year wrote:apparently Papua New Guinea and parts of Indonesia also comprise the Australian continent but my research was brief and confusing


they share the same continental shelf yes


see also fair and square
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
User avatar
badhat
 
Posts: 48481
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: monitoring the situation

Postby RIXX » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 pm

is the film sunset boulevard named that because, besides being a major LA street that runs thru hollywood, it has the name sunset in it ie a sunsetting career?
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:12 pm

father of two wrote:maybe false, but are they called the 'bleachers' because you bleach in the sun while sitting on them?


almost:

The "bench for spectators at a sports field" sense (usually bleachers) is attested since 1889, American English; so named because the boards were bleached by the sun.
User avatar
Julius Sumner Miller
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:36 pm

Postby badhat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 pm

RIXX wrote:is the film sunset boulevard named that because, besides being a major LA street that runs thru hollywood, it has the name sunset in it ie a sunsetting career?



yes.
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
User avatar
badhat
 
Posts: 48481
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: monitoring the situation

Postby aububs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:44 pm

RIXX wrote:is the film sunset boulevard named that because, besides being a major LA street that runs thru hollywood, it has the name sunset in it ie a sunsetting career?


fuuuu :shock:uuk
no buddy not really
User avatar
aububs
 
Posts: 6064
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm

RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all


It seems to make sense to me as I wouldn't say "me went to the store"

Unless they used to say that back then
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
User avatar
joe
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: snake kingdom

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm

All grammar is made up, in any case
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
User avatar
joe
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: snake kingdom

Postby RIXX » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:00 pm

joe wrote:
RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all


It seems to make sense to me as I wouldn't say "me went to the store"

Unless they used to say that back then


one of the examples the host used was say you're knocking at someone's door and they ask, "who's there?" you don't say "it is I" you say "it is me" (or the shortened version, just "me") even though me/I is the subject of that sentence.

also he asked why you couldn't switch "John and I went to the store" to "I and John went to the store"

i dunno it's a good podcast/episode, it's part of a larger discussion on the usage of the word "they"
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby worrywort » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:52 pm

not even if me want some cookies??
User avatar
worrywort
 
Posts: 12464
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 pm
Location: california

Postby Viz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:55 pm

It took a rewatch of Hateful Eight to realize where “hold your horses” came from.
Viz
 
Posts: 1582
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:52 pm

Postby Spooky Jim » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:47 pm

joe wrote:
RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all


It seems to make sense to me as I wouldn't say "me went to the store"

Unless they used to say that back then


Haven’t you ever heard a caveman talk?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?
User avatar
Spooky Jim
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 pm

RIXX wrote:
joe wrote:
RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all


It seems to make sense to me as I wouldn't say "me went to the store"

Unless they used to say that back then


one of the examples the host used was say you're knocking at someone's door and they ask, "who's there?" you don't say "it is I" you say "it is me" (or the shortened version, just "me") even though me/I is the subject of that sentence.

also he asked why you couldn't switch "John and I went to the store" to "I and John went to the store"

i dunno it's a good podcast/episode, it's part of a larger discussion on the usage of the word "they"


Dammit gonna just half to listen
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
User avatar
joe
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: snake kingdom

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:
joe wrote:
RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all


It seems to make sense to me as I wouldn't say "me went to the store"

Unless they used to say that back then


Haven’t you ever heard a caveman talk?


Arrrrrrrrr, it's drivin me nuts!
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
User avatar
joe
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: snake kingdom

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:12 pm

hazmat is short for 'hazardous materials'

Feel like I've figured that out before but it just occurred to me again.
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
Venmo: @hipro because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?
https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-avoid-eviction-this-christmas
User avatar
buriedinspace
 
Posts: 7115
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: Queer Street

Postby grammatron » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:32 pm

joe wrote:All grammar is made up, in any case

ding ding ding

I used to be a fairly staunch prescriptivist back when I was a teacher, but over the years I've gone completely over to the other side. It was the use of "they/them" as a singular pronoun i/r/t gender-non-conforming folks that flipped a switch in my head.
User avatar
grammatron
 
Posts: 55472
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: C-17

Postby pablito » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:33 pm

coop wrote:

from reading the wiki article the derivatives of position are named after the cere edit i see this has been covered
Last edited by pablito on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
User avatar
pablito
 
Posts: 10643
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: trapped in a cube of lube

Postby grammatron » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:35 pm

RIXX wrote:
joe wrote:
RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all


It seems to make sense to me as I wouldn't say "me went to the store"

Unless they used to say that back then


one of the examples the host used was say you're knocking at someone's door and they ask, "who's there?" you don't say "it is I" you say "it is me" (or the shortened version, just "me") even though me/I is the subject of that sentence.

No it isn't. In the sentence "It is me," 'It' is the subject.
User avatar
grammatron
 
Posts: 55472
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: C-17

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:44 pm

It me
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
User avatar
joe
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: snake kingdom

Postby badhat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:58 pm

what clarity is gained by having different pronouns for (some) subject/object situations?
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
User avatar
badhat
 
Posts: 48481
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: monitoring the situation

Postby The Unblinking Eye » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:10 am

grammatron wrote:
RIXX wrote:
joe wrote:
RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all


It seems to make sense to me as I wouldn't say "me went to the store"

Unless they used to say that back then


one of the examples the host used was say you're knocking at someone's door and they ask, "who's there?" you don't say "it is I" you say "it is me" (or the shortened version, just "me") even though me/I is the subject of that sentence.

No it isn't. In the sentence "It is me," 'It' is the subject.


And you should say "It is I" since "I" is the predicate nominative.
User avatar
The Unblinking Eye
 
Posts: 4956
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:27 pm

Postby badhat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:11 am

don’t it me
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
User avatar
badhat
 
Posts: 48481
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: monitoring the situation

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alaska, axelrod gunnarson, banquo, becky, bro tones, chowder julius, Cone, cooly, creedence tapes, darkendofthestreet, DasLofGang, Enemy Ace, Feech La Manna, FourLegsGood, Frank, gandhi, gentleman, grayfox, hadlex, Hal Jordan, hamilton, hazel, hiddenicon, hilbert, hit record, Hot Carl, Hot Piece, Hoxha, hyperbole man, Ides of Smarch, Itsmecraig, jack, Jerk., jewels, kash attick, laserblast, Lucky, matt, mchamartin, mcwop23, Mesh, milknight, miss black america, murderhorn, mworth, mynameisdan, No Good Advice, normal finkenstein, number none, Peter Criss, Poptone, powderfinger, Quigley, quinine, rankoutsider, rex, screaming emphysema, seafoam, shrinemaidens, snuggle, speakers, super gas, surly, tea preacher, trampoline, trigross, trouble, TwoInchesOfTrouble, wildarms, wong, wuk