Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby coop » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:31 pm

coop

Postby number none » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:54 pm

It's the other way around according to the wiki article
number none

Postby Spooky Jim » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:08 am

A fair deal is a “square deal” or a “square trade” because squares are even on all sides.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?
Spooky Jim

Postby deep blue meanies » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:13 am

Sports Fan of the Year wrote:apparently Papua New Guinea and parts of Indonesia also comprise the Australian continent but my research was brief and confusing

they share the same continental shelf yes
deep blue meanies

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:17 am

In the sonic franchise, Tails' full name is Miles Prower. Miles per hour.
The Fool on the Hill

Postby RIXX » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:20 am

I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all
RIXX

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:24 am

The Fool on the Hill wrote:In the sonic franchise, Tails' full name is Miles Prower. Miles per hour.

didn’t realize the last name
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Milk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:05 pm

going to sleep last night....probiotics....as opposed to antibiotics. . I mean obvs i knew what probiotics meant but i had never put them in contrast with antibiotics

Also just now, but this is a canadian thing, all dressed chips are ketchup, bbq and salt and vinegar all in one flavor.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Autarch » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:07 pm

The Fool on the Hill wrote:In the sonic franchise, Tails' full name is Miles Prower. Miles per hour.

whoa that's huge
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby badhat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:08 pm

deep blue meanies wrote:
Sports Fan of the Year wrote:apparently Papua New Guinea and parts of Indonesia also comprise the Australian continent but my research was brief and confusing

they share the same continental shelf yes

see also fair and square
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby RIXX » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 pm

is the film sunset boulevard named that because, besides being a major LA street that runs thru hollywood, it has the name sunset in it ie a sunsetting career?
RIXX

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:12 pm

father of two wrote:maybe false, but are they called the 'bleachers' because you bleach in the sun while sitting on them?

almost:

The "bench for spectators at a sports field" sense (usually bleachers) is attested since 1889, American English; so named because the boards were bleached by the sun.
Julius Sumner Miller

Postby badhat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 pm

RIXX wrote:is the film sunset boulevard named that because, besides being a major LA street that runs thru hollywood, it has the name sunset in it ie a sunsetting career?

yes.
badhat

Postby aububs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:44 pm

RIXX wrote:is the film sunset boulevard named that because, besides being a major LA street that runs thru hollywood, it has the name sunset in it ie a sunsetting career?

fuuuu :shock:uuk
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm

RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all

It seems to make sense to me as I wouldn't say "me went to the store"

Unless they used to say that back then
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm

All grammar is made up, in any case
joe

Postby RIXX » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:00 pm

joe wrote:
RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

one of the examples the host used was say you're knocking at someone's door and they ask, "who's there?" you don't say "it is I" you say "it is me" (or the shortened version, just "me") even though me/I is the subject of that sentence.

also he asked why you couldn't switch "John and I went to the store" to "I and John went to the store"

i dunno it's a good podcast/episode, it's part of a larger discussion on the usage of the word "they"
RIXX

Postby worrywort » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:52 pm

not even if me want some cookies??
worrywort

Postby Viz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:55 pm

It took a rewatch of Hateful Eight to realize where “hold your horses” came from.
Viz

Postby Spooky Jim » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:47 pm

joe wrote:

Haven’t you ever heard a caveman talk?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?
Spooky Jim

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 pm

RIXX wrote:
joe wrote:

one of the examples the host used was say you're knocking at someone's door and they ask, "who's there?" you don't say "it is I" you say "it is me" (or the shortened version, just "me") even though me/I is the subject of that sentence.

also he asked why you couldn't switch "John and I went to the store" to "I and John went to the store"

i dunno it's a good podcast/episode, it's part of a larger discussion on the usage of the word "they"

Dammit gonna just half to listen
joe

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:
joe wrote:

Haven’t you ever heard a caveman talk?

Arrrrrrrrr, it's drivin me nuts!
joe

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:12 pm

hazmat is short for 'hazardous materials'

Feel like I've figured that out before but it just occurred to me again.
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
Venmo: @hipro because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?
https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-avoid-eviction-this-christmas
buriedinspace

Postby grammatron » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:32 pm

joe wrote:All grammar is made up, in any case

ding ding ding

I used to be a fairly staunch prescriptivist back when I was a teacher, but over the years I've gone completely over to the other side. It was the use of "they/them" as a singular pronoun i/r/t gender-non-conforming folks that flipped a switch in my head.
grammatron

Postby pablito » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:33 pm

coop wrote:

from reading the wiki article the derivatives of position are named after the cere edit i see this has been covered
Last edited by pablito on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby grammatron » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:35 pm

RIXX wrote:
joe wrote:

No it isn't. In the sentence "It is me," 'It' is the subject.
grammatron

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:44 pm

It me
joe

Postby badhat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:58 pm

what clarity is gained by having different pronouns for (some) subject/object situations?
badhat

Postby The Unblinking Eye » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:10 am

grammatron wrote:
RIXX wrote:
joe wrote:

No it isn't. In the sentence "It is me," 'It' is the subject.

And you should say "It is I" since "I" is the predicate nominative.
The Unblinking Eye

Postby badhat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:11 am

don’t it me
badhat

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....