Postby inmate » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:38 pm

disease=a lack of ease
inmate

Postby blurst of times » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Deftones could also be pronounced "deft ones" :shock:
blurst of times
ride.

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:08 pm

It was a long time ago but that reminds me of how long it took me to realize the Bosstones in Mighty Mighty Bosstones was about them being from Boston

My dad always said "Boss" for things being good so I thought it was just that they did boss tones
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby speakers » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Kenny wrote:It was a long time ago but that reminds me of how long it took me to realize the Bosstones in Mighty Mighty Bosstones was about them being from Boston

My dad always said "Boss" for things being good so I thought it was just that they did boss tones

jfc
speakers

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Addendum: I didn't know they were from Boston either

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby speakers » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:12 pm

yeah me neither, so i guess it's less "jfc" and more "well how about that!"
speakers

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:16 pm

ooohhh like you didn't know either? :)

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby speakers » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:17 pm

had no idea!

just thought they made tones that were boss
speakers

Postby blurst of times » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Wow I had no idea about the bosstones/Boston thing either
blurst of times
ride.

Postby pana » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:27 pm

i knew but want to forget
pana

Postby speakers » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:30 pm

guess that means the doughty doughty chick-a-go's were from chicago
speakers

Postby weezy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:30 pm

"pussyfooting" refers to nervous lil kitty cat steps
weezy

Postby warmhouse » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:55 pm

to "decipher" something means you have the cipher. you de-cipher it.
warmhouse

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:19 pm

Nowhere near 50 ways are listed in "50 ways to leave your lover"
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?
Spooky Jim

Postby hopped » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:20 am

warmhouse wrote:to "decipher" something means you have the cipher. you de-cipher it.

this is a good one
hopped

Postby Mesh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:Nowhere near 50 ways are listed in "50 ways to leave your lover"

Right, he's just really sure there "must be 50 ways" but he can't be expected to come up with all of them himself.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby Link » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:55 pm

When I was in high school I was at a music store in the mall browsing through CDs. I was looking through what they had by The Orb and there was one called "The Peel Sessions." I had no idea what that was but then I started to notice other artists had their own "Peel Sessions" CDs. Even the Smashing Pumpkins!

Somehow I formed the idea in my mind that these releases were the artists performing some of their songs in a "peeled back" style, like maybe the songs were simpler, any non-essential elements of the music "peeled" away, maybe like an MTV Unplugged theme but obviously done in some way that would still allow electronic music to be performed and recorded. It would be several years before I'd finally understand what these releases really were.

This wasn't a recent Don Don but I just like posting in this thread.
Link

Postby uncleoswald » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:28 pm

i'm sure this has been said before, but the first chord of hard day's night = first chord of here comes your man
uncleoswald

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:45 pm

They are similar sounding but I don't think they're exactly the same chord. In both cases it's not a clearly identifiable chord because different voicings are played on different instruments at the same time.

The chord is here comes your man is definitely a homage to the beatles though.
The Fool on the Hill

Postby uncleoswald » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:07 pm

The Fool on the Hill wrote:They are similar sounding but I don't think they're exactly the same chord. In both cases it's not a clearly identifiable chord because different voicings are played on different instruments at the same time.

The chord is here comes your man is definitely a homage to the beatles though.

that's right, thanks for correcting
uncleoswald

Postby pablito » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:17 pm

Link wrote:When I was in high school I was at a music store in the mall browsing through CDs. I was looking through what they had by The Orb and there was one called "The Peel Sessions." I had no idea what that was but then I started to notice other artists had their own "Peel Sessions" CDs. Even the Smashing Pumpkins!

Somehow I formed the idea in my mind that these releases were the artists performing some of their songs in a "peeled back" style, like maybe the songs were simpler, any non-essential elements of the music "peeled" away, maybe like an MTV Unplugged theme but obviously done in some way that would still allow electronic music to be performed and recorded. It would be several years before I'd finally understand what these releases really were.

This wasn't a recent Don Don but I just like posting in this thread.

I love how much sense this makes! I like imagining all those bands being like “ok in the tradition of Napalm Death and the Orb, let’s peel it back!
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby Link » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:29 pm

When I first got Napster I started seeing lots of live recordings show up in the search results.

Lots of these were "Live at Brixton Academy."

So many, in fact, that I would often think about Brixton Academy and imagine how lucky the students there must have been to be able to see so many cool bands come play at their campus.
Link

Postby Spooky Jim » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:57 pm

For SF boarders: Burma Superstar is a play on Ghetto Superstar
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?
Spooky Jim

Postby Coca Cola » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 pm

WHITEBOYWASTED wrote:Asinine describes something that resembles a donkey/ass like feline (adj) describes something resembling a cat.

I caught this on a whim the other day and can't believe I've never made this connection. It also led me down a hole of other adjectives like this that are really cool but could never be used outside like, McCarthy. I guess I've seen aqualine some, and chelonian sounds familiar, too.

http://www.davekoelle.com/animal_terms.html

Whoa “bufotenine” means “toad-like”. That is a wild ass don don for me. For those who don’t know, bufotenine is 5-hydroxy-DMT, as secreted from the cane toad and friends. 4-ho-dmt is the active chem in shrooms
Coca Cola

Postby speakers » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:39 pm

4-ho?

4-sho!
speakers

Postby mascotte » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:46 pm

In Polish a sport of volleyball is called "siatkówka", where the first part of the word, "siatka", means "net", so it can be literally translated as "netgame". Today I realised that the English meaning revolves around the rule of not letting the ball hitting the ground, not around a net, over which the ball is passed (the net itself cannot be touched by any of the player), and although I've known the rules this strucked me somehow cause for my whole life I felt that the net is the most important part of the sport and for an English speaking person the game is about not letting the ball touch the ground, which let me see the sport from entirely different perspective.

Poland won a world cup in volleyball yesterday, second time in a row, by the way 8-)
mascotte

Postby Kaputt » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:53 pm

mascotte wrote:In Polish a sport of volleyball is called "siatkówka", where the first part of the word, "siatka", means "net", so it can be literally translated as "netgame". Today I realised that the English meaning revolves around the rule of not letting the ball hitting the ground, not around a net, over which the ball is passed (the net itself cannot be touched by any of the player), and although I've known the rules this strucked me somehow cause for my whole life I felt that the net is the most important part of the sport and for an English speaking person the game is about not letting the ball touch the ground, which let me see the sport from entirely different perspective.

Poland won a world cup in volleyball yesterday, second time in a row, by the way 8-)

That's amazing
Kaputt

Postby Spooky Jim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:31 am

I have not watched, or played, much volleyball, but to me I did always focus on the fact that the players were just trying to keep the ball off the ground. If I were to watch it now, would I notice how frequently one team was trying to get the other team to accidentally touch, or play close to, the net? Is that part of the strategy that I have never been aware of?
Spooky Jim

Postby Quizzical » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:19 am

HotFingersClub wrote:I feel like this is an old Don Don for some reason and I can't search because search never works

My friend yesterday pointed out that city ghost tours (we have a lot of these in our olde english townes) always happen on double decker buses because they can call themselves Ghost Bus Tours and it sounds like Ghostbusters

wait why does it matter that they are double decker buses?
Quizzical

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....